Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

if you're not a softbrained numbnut that hates when a game goes past turn 6, Throne of Eldrazi is a really really good limited format

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Drewjitsu posted:

Play a wish board, have tectonic rift, win mirror. :v:

you can already sort of do this with kenrith or the beanstalk giant -> cast off combo

the wish package is completely pointless, just play agent of treachery instead and it will be better than anything you could possibly wish for

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

fadam posted:

Acknowledging standard is bad and bitching about it are two different things. The appropriate mindset to find inner peace while playing Magic is just to accept when the game sucks and either stop playing or internalize it and deal with it with a quiet dignity samurai style.

But it's only when I moan and wail operatically about my plight online that I manage to activate my luck and sneak a win.

(Realtalk I have been trying to center myself during gameplay sessions. Meditation and breathing exercises, when I suffer I loss I do a set of pushups or other exercise)

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

fadam posted:

Acknowledging standard is bad and bitching about it are two different things. The appropriate mindset to find inner peace while playing Magic is just to accept when the game sucks and either stop playing or internalize it and deal with it with a quiet dignity samurai style.

I prefer to run jank decks that suck in all metas then complain that my opponents top deck whatever they want whenever they want

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

little munchkin posted:

you can already sort of do this with kenrith or the beanstalk giant -> cast off combo

the wish package is completely pointless, just play agent of treachery instead and it will be better than anything you could possibly wish for

The wish package isn’t pointless, it’s the mirror breaker. Kenrith doesn’t break the mirror because an army of 2/2s can’t trample OVER an Army of 2/2s. Wishing for Tectonic Rift and casting it literally wins you the game on the spot.

Agenting away their Field isn’t the backbreaking play people think it is.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Bust Rodd posted:

The wish package isn’t pointless, it’s the mirror breaker. Kenrith doesn’t break the mirror because an army of 2/2s can’t trample OVER an Army of 2/2s. Wishing for Tectonic Rift and casting it literally wins you the game on the spot.

Agenting away their Field isn’t the backbreaking play people think it is.

making six zombies per land drop while your opponent makes two is absolutely gonna win you the game, lol

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I'd say tectonic and agent do about the same thing in the mirror except you also get another copy of field with agent

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Tectonic Rift also prevents them from blocking so you can sneak in lethal. However I don't know if that's worth running the wish package. Agent is great in the mirror and also other matchups like Fires.

Anyway to have some fun I've been playing the Rakdos Aristocats deck, give it a try if you're bored of fields.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2307348#paper

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
They took hero of precinct one, a few months earlier the best card in standard, and reprinted it twice as strong and nearly untargettable

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Yup I just swung in on turn 4 with a 17/3 Chandra's Spitfire, nice to see a lifegain deck eat poo poo like that.

Also I have 15 lands in my loving deck, how do I keep pulling 2-3 in all my starting hands?

edit:

This garbage I had lying around is like 50/50 vs Golos BO1:

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Oct 11, 2019

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
i feel like my stupid janky B/G garruk deck is actually fairly competitive right now simply because I use 4x assassin's trophy in maindeck specifically for fields and a shitload of board hate like carnarium and ritual of soot.

its not great but it specifically fucks up fields and has enough lifegain thru leyline prowler and bond of flourishing to survive a lot of aggro. liking it.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Zero VGS posted:

Also I have 15 lands in my loving deck, how do I keep pulling 2-3 in all my starting hands?

BO1 fixes your opening hand and draws

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

salt shakeup posted:

BO1 fixes your opening hand and draws

Feels so abusive to run 15 lands and keep getting away with it:

Can't wish your way out of this one!

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Sometimes I just really want to turn some big boys sideways

And the beauty of Magic is that it supports this - the only issue is random internet matching not letting you do so and win reliably. Like, a lot of this griping only really comes from the way competition in general and online especially is structured. It's come up before, but the vast majority of people who play Magic to enjoy themselves never even encounter a tier 1 deck. It's a great pity Arena has zero social features, I think it would prevent a lot of gripes. Once there's other ways to reliably hop into a game other than laddering there will be space for so much more creativity and fun.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

(Realtalk I have been trying to center myself during gameplay sessions. Meditation and breathing exercises, when I suffer I loss I do a set of pushups or other exercise)

Kudos for this!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Lone Goat posted:

if you're not a softbrained numbnut that hates when a game goes past turn 6, Throne of Eldrazi is a really really good limited format

All hail King Emrakul

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I like this Standard rotation. The deck I hate to play against most is Simic Flash, which is still more tolerable than last season's Teferi-Karn-Nexus click a million godamn things and mouse over every card in the game torture decks.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

What decisions are Golos fields players making exactly?

I had a particular braindead golos pilot that netdecked Nelson's version, sided in Jace (!) and just played it on curve (!!) against my UG ramp.
There are a lot of ways that you can gently caress up your game even when rolling the best deck in format.

Lone Goat posted:

*plays into sweeper every game and concedes on turn 5* gently caress U WIZZARDS

ALL THESE REMOVAL SPELLS ARE SO loving LAME AND BROKEN AND IA HATE IT, I KNOW I HAVE SPOKENB EBFORE ABOUT BANNIGN THOSE FUCKIGNHDHJFG ISLANDS, BUT HOENSTLY< I THINK ITS SWAMPS THAT CAUSE ALL THE PAIN IN MY LIFE. I AM HERBY, UNIRONICALLY ASKING THAT WIZARDSOF THE COASTS VBASKJD SWAMPS AND SILANDS< AND THE loving SHUFFLE< AND ONCE UPON A TIME BECAUSE PEOPLE KEEP CASTING IT IN MY loving END STEP< AND THATS MY END STEP< NOT YOURS YOU FUIjkdhksv fgchmkersdvgdfh tybr ydhfgdsvxbtgyhtd

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Simic Flash is the absolute worst deck to play against in the format IMO because the only way to beat it is to MAKE THEM have it. Sometimes they have it, and you realize that you couldn’t have possibly ever won, and the last five minutes were you just slowly discovering that.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Slow players make this game unfun. I can't tell if its the client doing it or if my opponent has a brain that works like a dialup modem.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Bust Rodd posted:

Simic Flash is the absolute worst deck to play against in the format IMO because the only way to beat it is to MAKE THEM have it. Sometimes they have it, and you realize that you couldn’t have possibly ever won, and the last five minutes were you just slowly discovering that.
Yeah but when they don't have it and you get to watch them struggle to catch back up is pretty nice.

Go ahead, flash that frilled mystic in for no value against my three gutterbones. Aren't we all having fun?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Azuth0667 posted:

Slow players make this game unfun. I can't tell if its the client doing it or if my opponent has a brain that works like a dialup modem.

This complaint is still ever green in MTGA. My God, I'm a Bad Player and I can still get closer to the right play way more quickly than half the people out there.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

ChiTownEddie posted:

This complaint is still ever green in MTGA. My God, I'm a Bad Player and I can still get closer to the right play way more quickly than half the people out there.

I spend a lot of time thinking "You LOST, just CONCEDE" at my opponent

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I spend a lot of time thinking "You LOST, just CONCEDE" at my opponent

Well... Sometimes I'm this troll lol. Back in the day I made a Tef only woncon play it out and they conceded instead lol.
But, yes, in general that happens a lot haha

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Azuth0667 posted:

I assume it's the client the vast majority of the time. If I played ranked more than slow play would be a fair bet, but given how frequently I experience 3-10 second lag spikes I just assume others do as well.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Ime the best way to get away from slow players is to rank up. Not always true, but it seems to pick up in general

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

ChiTownEddie posted:

Well... Sometimes I'm this troll lol. Back in the day I made a Tef only woncon play it out and they conceded instead lol.
But, yes, in general that happens a lot haha

Same. gently caress that deck

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
After reading this thread, I smile thinking that any mono red player that I destroy with my budget golo deck is moaning as much as you on some board.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Azuth0667 posted:

I find it's either slow playing, or they're just trying to run their timer as close as possible to make you rage quit out of frustration. They've almost made me rage quit a couple times, but knowing that I'm playing a fast deck (usually) is enough to make me not worry too much about timeouts.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Finally got to Mythic and I didn't even have to craft Golos, I got there the honorable way, which is by endlessly killing black cats and bringing them back.

This is the most consistent list I found so far:

1 Drill Bit
4 Witch's Oven
4 Ayara, First of Locthwain
4 Cauldron Familiar
4 Gutterbones
4 Knight of the Ebon Legion
4 Lazotep Reaver
4 Midnight Reaper
3 Murderous Rider // Swift End
4 Priest of Forgotten Gods
3 Rankle, Master of Pranks

3 Castle Locthwain
18 Swamp

Sideboard:

3 Ashiok, Dream Render
1 Davriel, Rogue Shadowmage
2 Drill Bit
3 Duress
3 Legion's End
3 Noxious Grasp

Also I could swear the brain of a Golos player makes a specific sound whenever you drop Ashiok. It's like china breaking but very far away.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Guys I solved the problem of Golos Field. The solution was so simple it came to me in a dream:

2x Revenge of Ravens.

I'm sure it's too slow/inconsistent but I kinda wanna make a Dmir duplicator deck with that as the anti-Field win condition.

No idea what the other win condition is but I bet I could burn some wildcards on jankbrew.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hammer Bro. posted:

Guys I solved the problem of Golos Field. The solution was so simple it came to me in a dream:

2x Revenge of Ravens.

I'm sure it's too slow/inconsistent but I kinda wanna make a Dmir duplicator deck with that as the anti-Field win condition.

No idea what the other win condition is but I bet I could burn some wildcards on jankbrew.

2 Ethereal Absolutions also but drat they are expensive at 6

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The solution is to wait two weeks for them to ban Field.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

2 Ethereal Absolutions also but drat they are expensive at 6

That's why you play Manse Dance and pull them out of your GY for value

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That's why you play Manse Dance and pull them out of your GY for value

But then you're pulling them out for 8?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The worst part about rolling over to a new season is being low ranked in limited again. I don't know how some of these players manage to save up 5k gold and be so mind blisteringly slow and dumb. Constant misplays, constant time outs, people highlighting everything on the board 5 times before playing the 1 card in their hand. I just got roped four times in 7 games. loving ridiculous.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
First 7 win ELD draft... with fricking mono red

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I remember the first time I encountered the mono-red Loch Dragon / Elite Headhunter combo. My mind was blown.

Then next draft I ended up with six Rimrock Knights but somehow lost.

beedub
Jul 21, 2003

Main decking agent of treachery is pretty fun against Golos field. Deck from Sjow: https://www.streamdecker.com/deck/p_Vu_uDXqV

2 Agent of Treachery (M20) 43
1 Beanstalk Giant (ELD) 149
4 Breeding Pool (RNA) 246
1 Castle Vantress (ELD) 242
3 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
4 Forest (ELD) 269
4 Gilded Goose (ELD) 160
4 Growth Spiral (RNA) 178
4 Hallowed Fountain (RNA) 251
4 Hydroid Krasis (RNA) 183
2 Island (ELD) 257
4 Nissa, Who Shakes the World (WAR) 169
4 Oko, Thief of Crowns (ELD) 197
3 Once Upon a Time (ELD) 169
2 Plains (ELD) 252
4 Teferi, Time Raveler (WAR) 221
4 Temple Garden (GRN) 258
3 Temple of Mystery (M20) 255
3 Time Wipe (WAR) 223

1 Agent of Treachery (M20) 43
3 Deputy of Detention (RNA) 165
3 Shifting Ceratops (M20) 194
2 Tolsimir, Friend to Wolves (WAR) 224
2 Veil of Summer (M20) 198
4 Wicked Wolf (ELD) 181

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Is Standard so broken that (effectively) 7cc main deck land destruction is viable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
If that land destruction can do other things, sure why not?