Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I think it’s more of a “Hey these people closely linked to Duckfeed turned out to be some disgusting garbage people and that’s a gigantic bummer” sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Most of the discussion is happening in the #METOO Gaming thread. That's the best place to talk about. The initial wave of chuds has been probated into the dirt so it's a reasonable place.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3897556

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

misadventurous posted:

I have to assume you’re posting this because these guys know Zack, but it’s hard to tell whether it’s supposed to be a PSA or a gotcha. If it’s the latter, that’s loving vile of you, and if it’s the former it’s really inappropriate for this thread. Like do you seriously think that’s something that needs to be or will be addressed on this forum?

I guess you don't follow the Steam thread.

Vigilantly Vigorous
Jun 23, 2007
How delightful...
Congratulations on more than 8 years and 2 hundred loving 50 episodes of Woff.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Ahaha, Henry sounds like a real turd, but I really want to edit some clips together from the Monty on the Run and How to be a Complete Bastard episodes.

"I don't care that you're inebriated and in public"
"YOU AIN'T CLEANING poo poo"
"I just don't want to be included in your bit!"
"And then we started pissing into his refrigerator"

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Beartaco posted:

Ahaha, Henry sounds like a real turd, but I really want to edit some clips together from the Monty on the Run and How to be a Complete Bastard episodes.

"I don't care that you're inebriated and in public"
"YOU AIN'T CLEANING poo poo"
"I just don't want to be included in your bit!"
"And then we started pissing into his refrigerator"

I was 20! Henry was pushing at least 40. Also, I didn't do the You Ain't Cleanin' poo poo thing. I just witnessed it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Oh man, this FE Sacred Stones WOFF. I haven't agreed with a WOFF assessment this much in a long time, or at least you guys articulated a lot of problems that I've had with the pre-Awakening entries in the series. I don't know if I was just bored at work but I straight-up took notes during this episode.

--For as arduous as a playthrough of this game (or any FE) can be, you're definitely meant to play through it multiple times. I think the purpose of the randomized stat growths is to give you incentive to use different characters on each playthrough, since it makes the most sense to roll with whoever had the best level-ups. But I agree that the highs of having great level-ups don't outweigh the lows of bad level-ups (and it seems like the series faithful consider any level-up with two or fewer stat bumps to be "bad"). If a unit winds up being left behind by some bad level-ups, you're not only out the experience that they gathered but also out any support boosts they've given another character; a given character can only have up to five support conversations in a playthrough (so one partner up to A and another to B, two at B and one at C, etc.) so you can potentially gimp other units too (and Supports do take way too drat long to level up! Why can't the turn counter go up if they're just near each other, rather than on adjacent tiles?)

--Speaking of level-ups, character growths are different for each character rather than each class like in FFT. In addition, each class has max stat caps that differ from other classes (and you get large class-dependent stat bumps when you advance into a prestige class). In prior games characters would have stat growths that were in-line with what their class track would be (so characters in tank classes like Knights would have high DEF growths but low SPD, etc.), but since here you can choose your prestige class in a lot of cases, you can kind of route characters into classes that will most benefit from their stat growths. For example, the knight trainee Amelie can eventually prestige into a General, which traditionally has high STR and DEF but low SPD. But Amelie inherently has a high SPD growth, so if you level her up enough you can have a General that always attacks twice and takes next to no damage :eng101:

--I definitely get the hatred for the perfectionist tendencies that these game can foster. When I played FE 7, 8 (this game), and 9 I was definitely that guy that reset not only when I lost a unit or failed to recruit someone, but when I missed an optional objective or bonus item, even if it was an item I could get in a later mission. Even when I tried to play Awakening a couple years ago with permadeath turned off, I had FE PTSD and my mind immediately went to "welp, time to reset" every time I hosed up in the few chapters of Awakening that I did play. It's a case of not just choosing to play a game in a manner different from what the devs intended, but being conditioned to do so. The "it's like a 75-move puzzle where you won't know that you've lost until move 50" comment was particularly memorable.

--Yeah offensive staves (the ones that do status effects) blow and it really sucks that the enemies get to use them and you almost never do. In general I think the enemies in these early FE games always get better toys than you do until the endgame.

I have no idea why I wrote so many words about a game that I'm lukewarm on. I've completed three games in this series and played parts of two others but have never quite been able to get into the series. I wish I could though, it does feel good when things go your way, I like the (platonic) camaraderie that is the hallmark of the series, and I'm even anime-tolerant as long as it's not horny. And for what it's worth, I think Sacred Stones is my favorite FE of what I've played because it's probably the easiest in the series and you can grind enough to make the game especially easy. If anything, this episode might get me to try Awakening again, even if it's just on ultra-baby Normal Casual mode.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 25, 2019

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Looking forward to picking up Frostpunk on PS4, the WOFF might be the most enthusiastic Kole has been for a newer game

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I loved RE7 but never played the DLC, this WOFF made me think I should just watch playthroughs of them at some point.

Also Radio Free Midworld is still great.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I started playing RE7 for the first time in vr and I can’t really handle it. poo poo is intense and creepy; the lower resolution graphics also make feel motion sick.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Looking forward to picking up Frostpunk on PS4, the WOFF might be the most enthusiastic Kole has been for a newer game

It's 50% off on steam right now fyi

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

WHY BONER NOW posted:

It's 50% off on steam right now fyi

Thanks for info. That would be ideal, but I don’t have a computer that can run it

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Some very good Pocket or Gretta background contributions in the Art & Artist Dispatch.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Some very good Pocket or Gretta background contributions in the Art & Artist Dispatch.

Pocket and Gretta are excellent podcats

Also lately the RSS feed for Monster in My Podcast has been randomly downloading old episodes from the first season, so if either Gary or Kole read this it's probably a good idea to find out why that is.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I know it's ridiculous to hate a videogame, but boy I despise Alan Wake. I played it a few years ago and knowing how widely adored it was I pushed myself through it to completion. Every single combat encounter in that game was utterly miserable. Even the concert scene did nothing for me because I knew I'd be doing the exact same thing, shine a flash light, shoot three times. It's genuinely the one game where I didn't feel any sense of accomplishment getting to the end. At the end of Alan Wake I just truly felt like I'd wasted 15 hours of my life.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The entire game feels like it's a prologue, like they were so sure that this would be a smash hit and get sequels for years to come that they wanted to save everything for the next game. It keeps feeling like it should start getting weird any moment now and start introducing more than two enemy types and more combat variety but it never does.

I actually got the most enjoyment out of the DLC just because that's when it finally starts doing that, with dream spaces that aren't bound by logic and a mild strategic layer of being able to use your flashlight to bring words into existence to get items or support like Elizabeth pulling open a tear in Bioshock Infinite. American Nightmare as well, it gets rid of the linear levels and is instead just 3 big open maps with objectives to complete and a rebalanced shooting and dodge system. Despite being a standalone download title that mostly seems to exist to give the story they set up an abrupt and unsatisfying end (complete with you hearing radio broadcasts and phone calls from the cast of the first game showing how they ended up) it has way more enemy and environment variety and even has a Mercenaries style score attack mode.

Also I actually enjoyed Barry because compared to how clueless everyone else ks he's the only one who shows any savviness to what's happening. If I was in a town being attacked by monsters that fear the light you know I would be wrapping myself in Christmas lights and keeping a headlamp on at all times.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

It's getting another continuation as Control DLC.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I picked up Call of Cthulhu after listening to the episode. That game is... Neat, I guess? Gary and Kole were definitely right when they said that listening to the episode is probably going to give you the same experience as actually playing but still I'm glad I checked it out! I'm a sucker for Telltale style games in general.

They talked about how the game swerves in a lot of ways, but one thing I thought was fantastic is that unlike Innsmouth in Dark Corners of the Earth, Blackwater is just a normal rear end town for the most part. A lot of poverty and general nastiness but the actual Cthulhu stuff was limited to like less than a dozen people total. I loved walking around that harbour area and seeing people just live their lives, the fishermen, the shysters, the bootleggers. It was great!

One of my favourite little details is when you get caught by the orderlies in the stealth section, they have an animation where they reach behind them and since it's a horror game you expect them to pull out a syringe. No, they just offer you an open hand and gently pat your shoulder. They're not bad guys, they're just employees there to take an, in their eyes delirious patient back to his cell.

This little detail actually made the first person shooting sequence really good in my eyes. You have a gun and there are these fishermen roaming around possessed, but like the game has shown you, they're not monsters. They're still just dudes. You shoot them once and they drop dead, you're just wandering around this area murdering fishermen who had the bad fortune to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

If I could add anything to the game it would be more town areas to walk around and talk to people.

Beartaco fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Oct 25, 2019

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Yay Duckfeed Halloween spooky reading :spooky:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Yay Duckfeed Halloween spooky reading :spooky:

Yay! Always a highlight

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Thank you for the disclaimer in the latest WOFF about Simpsons Road Rage vs Hit and Run, because I definitely downloaded this episode thinking it was about Road Rage :lol:

E: Also I looked up that Eggs for Bart game and what the gently caress

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 18, 2019

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I’m getting into On Cinema like Kole is right now and this video is all I need in my life.

https://youtu.be/w49xm_xCq-o

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I'm so jealous of people getting into On Cinema. It's one of the most impressive creations in any medium.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
So the thing about that Rugrats game, I found it absolutely terrifying as a kid. I went back and played it recently thinking like oh it was a kids game, how bad could it be? I realised that I wasn't just being ridiculous, I think this game was genuinely designed as a horror game for children which is cool as hell.

One level has you exploring a pitch black house with a flashlight and ghosts attacking you. You fight off the ghosts using the flashlight but it has limited battery. Another level has you exploring this abandoned toy store filled with Chucky-esque (the other one) clown dolls that chase you around.

I think my favourite level is the minigolf level, because in between putts you can kind of run around the course, but if you explore too much you can end up in this underground labyrinth being chased by mummies.

I 100% believe the developers sat down and were like, how can we make a horror game for kids and this was the result.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I'm really excited for these Tyranny episodes! It's the one point and click CRPG I didn't immediately bounce off and actually played all the way through. I don't remember it being especially good but it was definitely interesting.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Beartaco posted:

I'm really excited for these Tyranny episodes! It's the one point and click CRPG I didn't immediately bounce off and actually played all the way through. I don't remember it being especially good but it was definitely interesting.

I fell in love with Tyranny but bounced off Torment and Pillars, so I'm excited to hear what the boys make of it.

It's got a strong narrative voice that feels distinct from the other crpgs.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Alright, after hearing them talk about how amazingly cool the Scarlet Chorus playthrough is, it looks like I'm going to have to reinstall the game. I definitely did the anarchy playthrough when I played because why wouldn't you?

A main theme that they talked about was wielding power through fear which is really interesting. I played the game like any other RPG, that is to say I just tried to be friends with all the companions so that's something I'm excited to revisit.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

When they mentioned the upcoming lineup and said Shadowrun Returns I was bummed as I was hoping for Dragonfall, then Gary corrected himself to say Dragonfall and I was happy. It’s such a solid game with a powerhouse story.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Listened to the first half of Tyranny Part 1 and was coming here to post that you guys convinced me to try it out and that it'd be my yearly Winter Steam Sale game...but then I saw that I already own it :v: So thanks for convincing me to install it, I've been looking for a shorter game to ease me into cRPGs and I also think it would be a good experience as I 1. almost always play a good guy in games, and 2. am a filthy centrist, insofar as I usually try to please as many people as I can while causing the least amount of tension, two things that you called out as not really being a priority for this game.

Also Gary after hearing where you are originally from in the most recent WOFF Dispatch, and having lived there for almost two years, I feel like I understand you a little better.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Dec 10, 2019

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
https://twitter.com/Janchampion3000/status/1202530903509078016

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Hey Kole, is there any plans to talk about Castle Rock in any of the podcasts? If this has been talked about on any of the bonus podcasts, my apologies, I haven't had much free time to listen to everything like I used to.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Listened to the first half of Tyranny Part 1 and was coming here to post that you guys convinced me to try it out and that it'd be my yearly Winter Steam Sale game...but then I saw that I already own it :v: So thanks for convincing me to install it, I've been looking for a shorter game to ease me into cRPGs and I also think it would be a good experience as I 1. almost always play a good guy in games, and 2. am a filthy centrist, insofar as I usually try to make please as many people as I can while causing the least amount of tension, two things that you called out as not really being a priority for this game.

Also Gary after hearing where you are originally from in the most recent WOFF Dispatch, and having lived there for almost two years, I feel like I understand you a little better.

poo poo, that's wild. It's such a small town that whenever I hear someone lives there or is from there, it throws me a bit. My understanding is that the music scene is now like 95% powerviolence metal bands, which sort of bums me out.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Woffle posted:

poo poo, that's wild. It's such a small town that whenever I hear someone lives there or is from there, it throws me a bit. My understanding is that the music scene is now like 95% powerviolence metal bands, which sort of bums me out.

This was five years ago or so while my now-wife was finishing grad school, I wouldn't have been there for any other reason lol. I was never plugged into the music scene there either so I can't say anything about it. I mostly just remember a lot of good lovely college town food.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Hey Kole, is there any plans to talk about Castle Rock in any of the podcasts? If this has been talked about on any of the bonus podcasts, my apologies, I haven't had much free time to listen to everything like I used to.

I put a bug in his ear to check it out the last time we recorded RFM. I liked S1 a lot and S2 seems to be even better so far, so hopefully Kole will dig it.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Pretty late on this because I just found this thread but the latest WOFF Dispatch was a pretty neat listen and the timing was pretty good, coming not long after Hbomberguy's Pathologic video that covers some of the same ground.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Extremely stoked for the Darkest Dungeon LP. It's a great game, but it stresses me out too much to actually play myself.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Our 48 hour live stream for The Transactive Gender Project starts today at 6PM PST. Please tune in, spread the word, and donate if you're able.

https://www.duckfeed.tv/duckstream

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Hey Gary, I just wanted to say thank you for the general kind words at the beginning of the latest WOFF episode. Podcasts have been an escape from what was a really, really lovely year for me and I needed a stranger to tell me that 2020 might be better.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Finally listening to Abject Suffering and found myself thinking "I wonder if they've ever done Revolution X" and welp, it's the very first episode.

For some reason I was under the impression that AS was actual WOFF-style deep dives on bad video games rather than a straight up comedy show, so I'd been avoiding it all these years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lester Shy posted:

Finally listening to Abject Suffering and found myself thinking "I wonder if they've ever done Revolution X" and welp, it's the very first episode.

For some reason I was under the impression that AS was actual WOFF-style deep dives on bad video games rather than a straight up comedy show, so I'd been avoiding it all these years.

Abject Suffering and Teenage Dirtbags are the best shows on the network. I really miss TD.