Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Google? More like Scroogle!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Apple? More like Crapple!

Microsoft? More like Micros~1

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Supposedly we’re only a month or so away from the launch of Stadia so it’s time for another marketing push from Google, which I’m sure will be a measured attempt to set reasonable expectations and allay concerns about latency and performance, and carefully avoid making any wild, impossible claims...

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1181934031027474433

... ah. Okay. Sure.

Edit: Also RDR2 was announced as a launch title, in case the controls for that game weren’t already sluggish enough for your liking.

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 9, 2019

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
"negative latency" requires running dozens if not hundreds of instances of the game to work correctly. Good luck with that Google.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
The idea about having multiple instances of games to pre-input every move you make is a stupid idea from a guy who is definitely not a real software engineer, or at least not a good one.

Forking a process like that isn't instant, you'd have to copy all the memory to the new instance for every single fork. That's easy if you're talking about a SNES game that has a few 100s of KB memory. Impossible for the AAA games that stadia is supposed to run. That's why savestates are a thing on retro emulators, but a current game still takes many seconds to reload a quicksave.

More likely: google puts their AI stuff into the system that handles input over the network and trains it to be a mild game assist. This might even be possible based just on input patterns and game state, not needing to "look at" the video to determine what the player is about to do.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Quantum gaming

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Stadia 100% isn't going to do any of that poo poo in games unless developers specifically accommodate it and that's without considering the practicality of whatever the gently caress they're talking about.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
Can't wait to have the game aim and shoot for me.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Is google just pitching a videogame video to me where I pretend to play? Is that the pitch?

Cant wait to play Doom5 and be greeted by xxXTedFaroVegetaXxx long play

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

leaked footage

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Microsoft: We believe games streaming is a valuable supplement to our existing business of selling consoles and software.
Google: Stadia gonna suck your dick.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Predicted input will be annoying as gently caress. Just like a slight delay drives you mad, the game suddenly overshooting will do the same.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Blotto_Otter posted:

Supposedly we’re only a month or so away from the launch of Stadia so it’s time for another marketing push from Google, which I’m sure will be a measured attempt to set reasonable expectations and allay concerns about latency and performance, and carefully avoid making any wild, impossible claims...

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1181934031027474433

... ah. Okay. Sure.

Edit: Also RDR2 was announced as a launch title, in case the controls for that game weren’t already sluggish enough for your liking.

And you get an aimbot and you get an aimbot! Everyone gets an aimbot!

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Klyith posted:

More likely: google puts their AI stuff into the system that handles input over the network and trains it to be a mild game assist. This might even be possible based just on input patterns and game state, not needing to "look at" the video to determine what the player is about to do.

Most likely: It's just a meaningless PR statement meant to keep Stadia in the news.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Honestly, Stadia should have come with RDR2 as the pack in game rather than Destiny 2, that alone would sell consoles controllers.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Destiny 2 is still the pack in? Even after it when F2P everywhere. Amazing.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

I'm pretty sure Stadia is going to bomb - but I don't think they will turn off the servers. Instead I'm pretty sure that they are running stadia on the "gym subscription" model. Google make more money when you don't use Stadia than when you do, and if you're playing one hour per day they get to use the server the other 23 hours of the day. And with hardware expected to continually get cheaper they'll be more than happy to take money to support their servers indefinitely.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/1184108511577309184

Just in time for everyone to run a stress test on Grandma's internet connection after Thanksgiving dinner!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

they also just killed daydream VR same day, lol

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

The 7th Guest posted:

they also just killed daydream VR same day, lol

Came here looking for this post

(https://killedbygoogle.com/)

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
VR is limping along half-dead, and Daydream never gained the least amount of traction in that tepid market. Can't blame them.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Lambert posted:

VR is limping along half-dead, and Daydream never gained the least amount of traction in that tepid market. Can't blame them.

Okay, now do game streaming services

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I just pre ordered yesterday. I finally got the premise for Stadia. I was thinking that it was just another 'console' or a way to sell games to the apparently huge audience that doesn't own a desktop pc. It clicked with me that the power is in the potential.

If (and it's probably a big if) they get a developer to actually make a stadia exclusive game, it would be unbound by hardware rendering requirements. The size and complexity of games could be truly epic, assuming that latency doesn't gently caress over the whole thing.

I'm tentatively excited about it. Still pissed that fragmentation means I can buy red dead at least 3 times instead of just licensing the loving game.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The infinite power potential of the :yayclod:

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
If the power is in the potential, wait for the potential to become the actual. It's not like these are promising young wines that we expect to age well and then they'll be good. It's not like you need to buy them now before they shoot up in value because if you don't the wine is gone. If Stadia delivers, they'll keep manufacturing the things.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Richard M Nixon posted:

I just pre ordered yesterday. I finally got the premise for Stadia. I was thinking that it was just another 'console' or a way to sell games to the apparently huge audience that doesn't own a desktop pc. It clicked with me that the power is in the potential.

If (and it's probably a big if) they get a developer to actually make a stadia exclusive game, it would be unbound by hardware rendering requirements. The size and complexity of games could be truly epic, assuming that latency doesn't gently caress over the whole thing.

I'm tentatively excited about it. Still pissed that fragmentation means I can buy red dead at least 3 times instead of just licensing the loving game.

They already have -an- exclusive game, it's an indie stealth game that could exist on literally any other system.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Richard M Nixon posted:

So your waiting for Star Citizen to come to Stadia?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Richard M Nixon posted:

What prevents me from doing this with the more typical MMO server setup? Why can't I just setup a VM farm with videocards and have my players log into that instead? Oh I need thousands of graphics cards and it's going to be expensive af? Well that's what Google is basically doing.

Sure sure Google already owns there from a failed project, but that just means they aren't going to update them ever. Nothing this is doing makes any sense unless the limitations of the game are strictly on the server updating the game state and keeping all the clients in check. Then yes, the server could assume that every single client is trusted and not hacking allowing to shift some processing to the many many clients (still hosted at the same place) instead of the server.

The thing is, I don't buy that being useful for most games, and it's not like you couldn't really do this before. There is still a very real limit on the rendering Google is using regular graphics cards for this. There's nothing special they have the same limits a gaming PC does.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Richard M Nixon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUUCpdc9-6I

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Richard M Nixon posted:

Source your quotes

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I love goons chiming in with their terrible financial decisions

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Richard M Nixon posted:

Other than by the facts that:
* their video cards are a lot of Vega 56s which are not exactly the best possible, though I guess they'll upgrade over time if it survives.
* size and complexity cost money to make. Lots of money. Rockstar puts over a hundred million dollars into making a GTA or RD2. There are diminishing returns where spending twice as much doesn't give you nearly twice the game. Is google gonna pay half a billion to make star citizen real?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Very weird to say that VR is dying when the Quest released to massive success like three months ago.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

doingitwrong posted:

If the power is in the potential, wait for the potential to become the actual. It's not like these are promising young wines that we expect to age well and then they'll be good. It's not like you need to buy them now before they shoot up in value because if you don't the wine is gone. If Stadia delivers, they'll keep manufacturing the things.

Yeah this is my thing too. I still can't tell if OP actually didn't quote that from Reddit but there are people that genuinely want to do this to "show their support for Google" or what the gently caress ever. It's Google, they'll be fine. There's no exclusives worth buying this thing for, there's no benefit from getting in on this early at all as far as I can tell so it's crazy to me that people are throwing money at this because it could be cool based on the stuff the marketing folks tell you it could potentially do.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Look at me not reading the thread before posting.

I was pretty surprised when I realized what the point of stadia was, which is where my excitement comes from. I'm sure a lot of Google's audience saw the same thing I did and just wrote it off as another form of console.

I'm sure taking advantage of could gaming needs more than just a port and setting the graphics to 11. It definitely would need a AAA developer to spend the half billion dollars or whatever to actually fund a game. Will that ever happen? Who knows. Probably not, but I'd like to imagine that it's possible. Maybe we'll see a new contender like Netflix try and enter the market. Maybe Google will have some really great strategic partnerships. Maybe this is the idea that fails but it inspires Microsoft or whoever to try harder and their idea takes off.

I totally did blow the :10bux: because I want to vote with my dollars. It's a great concept, and I haven't seen a lot of discussion on that point. Maybe this implantation won't go well due to latency issues or lackluster hardware, but I still say that the idea is solid. We always hear about games being made for the lowest possible pc system or how a cross platform game has more limitations because it accommodated for a lesser console.

Building a game from the ground up that's meant for a system that would have cost a person $30k but instead is subsidized by subscriptions is pretty badass. Never worrying about system requirements and being able to essentially forcibly upgrade everyone's hardware simultaneously and at will is a very neat thing.

I won't be as sensationalist as saying it's as huge a development as the first gen 3d consoles, but I can absolutely see the first truly made for stadia game that takes advantage of limitless processing power being called the Super Mario 64 of cloud gaming.

Or maybe it'll fail and go onto the pile of Google tech that is now expensive plastic. I'd rather not lose my sense of wonder and hope quite yet. Let's save that until next month.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Richard M Nixon posted:

Building a game from the ground up that's meant for a system that would have cost a person $30k but instead is subsidized by subscriptions is pretty badass.
Where do these 30K bux come from?

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Richard M Nixon posted:

Building a game from the ground up that's meant for a system that would have cost a person $30k but instead is subsidized by subscriptions is pretty badass.

Oxxidation posted:

games are already tied to easily-revoked licenses and this is just the latest attempt to intensify the trend where we never actually own anything we buy

On top of that, from how well non established players have done coming into Gaming to the economic climate to google's own track record, thinking this is ever going to be a thing isn't hopeful wishing, it's a lack of critical thinking.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Where do these 30K bux come from?

Presumably the bulk would come from fees charged to the developer and publisher (I'm assuming that you have to pay Microsoft to make an Xbox game, etc) as well as any cuts that come from selling games in the stadia store. I'm sure that if they are launching a free service, there's a plan for turning stadia into a profit center that relies on something other than people buying controllers.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Steve Yun posted:

Microsoft? More like Micros~1

It's okay, I appreciated this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Richard M Nixon posted:

Presumably the bulk would come from fees charged to the developer and publisher (I'm assuming that you have to pay Microsoft to make an Xbox game, etc) as well as any cuts that come from selling games in the stadia store. I'm sure that if they are launching a free service, there's a plan for turning stadia into a profit center that relies on something other than people buying controllers.

Where does the dev get the money? If say 50% of people want to play during peak for a 20 minute period during a major games release that means you need a 30,000 system for 60% of users, so you know what let's drop that to 10%, okay so let's say you update the hardware every 3 years, at 10, well under what would happen during high traffic during a major game's release, you need $1,000 per year from every person just to break even.

This does not work