Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Updated my ssh banner today, happy Friday IT goons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Tab8715 posted:

Curious, what’s the bare minimum that any system administrator should know about certificates?

I know nothing :smith:

openssl x509 -in fuckthis.pem -noout -text

Methanar fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 11, 2019

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
It was only last year that I found a good starter/explainer for certs, and not having a basic conceptual map was a real stumbling block for me. Between that and getting thrown in the deep end to build up a new PKI environment for a major financial institution last year (before they decided they had ~80 more infrastructure people than they really needed), now I like working with certs and want to spend more time making them invisible scaffolding for society.

Also running OpenSSL on Windows has been a pain in the butt for years, until they made functional PowerShell ports.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Doing my first prod upgrade after hours on a friday.

Someone's application stopped reading from redis for a moment (don't know if it was even related to me). Gave me a loving heart attack.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

CLAM DOWN posted:

I know certs really well and have run PKI for large enterprises, and I actually like working with and talking about certs.

I think I'm the only one :smith:

You’re not alone. I’ve learned a lot working for the PKI team of an international bank and maintaining their CA’s and do key exchanges with large payment providers (swift, mastercard, equens and the likes).

The only thing that sucks now is being aware how badly PKI is being handled in most companies. More often than not I see no auto enrollment functionality or people sharing/copying keypairs over dozens of machines.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
This typhoon is really messing everything up!

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
What is a realistic starting salary for programming (any language) in the Midwest? I overheard a guy say he was getting “mid level pay” at 150k. I’m assuming he has at least a few years of experience.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The Midwest is huge and could mean Chicago or rural Ohio, so you'll need to be more specific. $150k seems high either way imho

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Bigass Moth posted:

What is a realistic starting salary for programming (any language) in the Midwest? I overheard a guy say he was getting “mid level pay” at 150k. I’m assuming he has at least a few years of experience.

150 is not mid level pay at all.

We have senior guys with CS masters degrees in Austin making 130. 150 is really high outside the Bay Area and would probably involve management tasks, or have the title “principal” in front of it for us.

Guy is full of poo poo.

We start the jr guys in the 80-90k range last I heard.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
This is in Louisville, I thought it sounded high but it’s hard to get a frame of reference. Maybe his company is letting him work remote?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Unless you're working remote for a bay area company, entry/jr coding pay in a low CoL city is probably 50-60k.

Edit: yup

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Sirotan posted:

The Midwest is huge and could mean Chicago or rural Ohio, so you'll need to be more specific. $150k seems high either way imho
150k is standard for a senior dev in Chicago working in something like data science or cloud infrastructure. For a mid-level dev, it's slightly on the generous side, but it's plausible for industries like fintech.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Bigass Moth posted:

Is that base salary or total comp including equity and perks

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Bigass Moth posted:

Straight out college? At a minimum assuming cost of living isn't a big city probably $55k/y with great benefits but quickly ramps up. When you see large salaries from my experience these are general large F500 Companies - or it's senior or some position where it involves quite a bit of leadership over vendors or internal IT staff.

skipdogg posted:

150 is not mid level pay at all.

We have senior guys with CS masters degrees in Austin making 130. 150 is really high outside the Bay Area and would probably involve management tasks, or have the title “principal” in front of it for us.

Guy is full of poo poo.

We start the jr guys in the 80-90k range last I heard.

$150k can be done for F500 Companies not in the bay area or larger popular/prestigious ones but you've got have an awareness of the typical politics in a white collar position.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Here in my area of SC, IT management salaries range from like the 60-100k depending on industry. I'd say a 4 year degree would yield you a 40-50k starting salary. Of course, this is offset by the cost of living being very cheap.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

CLAM DOWN posted:

Spot the issue

That's a pretty good bonus, what's the salary?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sickening posted:

I despise jump boxes. Getting people to consistently design administrative duties around them for the desired level of security is a gigantic pain the rear end. Its like herding cats.

They have usually trended to be used inappropriately or not at all IMO. This is where I have always wanted an infosec team worth their poo poo to help monitor and police this poo poo but I haven't had one of those in forever.

Corporate just disabled RDP on all client machines except for connections from a whitelisted set of jumpboxes for security reasons. RDP to servers is still OK. That seems kinda backwards, but if you can trust your servers to be really well maintained compared to desktops it makes sense.

I don't know how well managed the servers really are, but I do know how well the desktops aren't. I just dropped a list of the local jumpboxes into Google Keep and moved on with my life.

5er posted:

It's kinda tough, being intermediate with linux, working with someone who is very advanced with linux but seems to think the information you need just naturally materializes in a human brain, and thinks the absolute best way a person learns how to do linux things is to not be taught anything from someone who knows and to resort to google forever until you figure it out.

:same:

That's how they learned, but mentoring doesn't even occur to many experts as a thing to do.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
really when u think about it a vpn is just a jump box too...

The Dreamer
Oct 15, 2013

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Vargatron posted:

Here in my area of SC, IT management salaries range from like the 60-100k depending on industry. I'd say a 4 year degree would yield you a 40-50k starting salary. Of course, this is offset by the cost of living being very cheap.

How's the job market in SC for IT? My parents are moving to the Myrtle Beach area next year and want me to follow them.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

mllaneza posted:

That's how they learned, but mentoring doesn't even occur to many experts as a thing to do.

Half the stuff I've learned, was from googling, not needing to ask. The other half came from asking after being stymied, being given the proverbial 'fish', then reverse engineering how to fish from knowing the right answer as a clue.

I just finished RH124 and 134 this past month, and there's a fuckload of little and big things I wish I had known sooner. Another human telling you how a command work and which flags are ideal, goes a lot farther than a man file with me.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mllaneza posted:

The hard truth is that there is little benefit for people to mentor. The company and the learner greatly benefit, but not the mentor. Often it can lead to a negative as you teach people who make less to do what you do, making you easier to replace.

I wish that wasn’t the case.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Sickening posted:

The hard truth is that there is little benefit for people to mentor. The company and the learner greatly benefit, but not the mentor. Often it can lead to a negative as you teach people who make less to do what you do, making you easier to replace.

Mentoring done well builds your network, unless everyone you mentor remains your junior or never leaves their current employer.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Sickening posted:

If you mentor yourself out of a job you were way overdue for a new one anyway.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

Curious, what’s the bare minimum that any system administrator should know about certificates?

I know nothing :smith:

For some "learn from my mistakes" tips:

Keep backups of every private key, keep track of when they expire, if you manually install don't leave copies of the private key on the servers hard drive, don't over use wildcard certificates.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Heffer posted:

For some "learn from my mistakes" tips:

Keep backups of every private key, keep track of when they expire, if you manually install don't leave copies of the private key on the servers hard drive, don't over use wildcard certificates.

The expiration thing is a real kicker, depending on your business processes, I'd recommend setting up some sort of alert at least a month before it expires, if you have cumbersome purchasing processes or people will throw up roadblocks continuously, give yourself more time.

Every cert authority I've dealt with will tack on time to your cert, so if you're 2 month from expiring and purchase a new cert, that cert will expire in 14 months instead of just 12; basically you lose nothing by being ahead of the game and everything by being late.

I can't tell you how many times certs have expired because I've gotten stonewalled during either the purchasing part or just getting the go-ahead to install the loving thing.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
The expiration thing is why I wish more cert providers would start supporting ACME for DV certs. I get that a lot of people can't use Let's Encrypt for one reason or another, but they have proven pretty conclusively that DV cert renewal doesn't need to involve any human interaction and really shouldn't.

Regarding wildcard certs, my recommendation would be to think long and hard about any use of them in a production environment due to the power they hold if they're ever compromised. Personally my only use of them is with a cluster of servers that host <customer>.ourdomain.com. Every subdomain of that particular domain is either a CNAME or SRV records pointing at that cluster so there's no added security risk, the only names you could impersonate with that cert are the ones pointed at the very machines you'd have to have compromised to get it.

One other thing worth noting about any kind of public certificate authority is that the certificate metadata will be posted to Certificate Transparency logs. Certificates you get issued for internal services will leak their DNS names to the world. Shouldn't be a huge deal for business use, as presumably anything you need a public cert for is something you're intentionally exposing to the general public, but for "home lab" use if you're not careful the cert on your VPS might expose the name you use for your home services and thus your home IP.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 14, 2019

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Most things are better if you can reduce/eliminate the human<->computer interaction.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I hope you Canadians are enjoying Thanksgiving today, and I hope you yanks are enjoying a full day of work :smuggo:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

CLAM DOWN posted:

I hope you Canadians are enjoying Thanksgiving today, and I hope you yanks are enjoying a full day of work :smuggo:

It's Columbus day so some folks aren't working, maybe like 5% of the work force has off because we're all slave laborers.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

CLAM DOWN posted:

I take american holidays

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

My employer is celebrating Indigenous Peoples Day, so while we are in the office we're getting catered lunch, there's some other events going on, and the office is closing early.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Just the one day off huh

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Fool posted:

My employer is celebrating Indigenous Peoples Day, so while we are in the office we're getting catered lunch, there's some other events going on, and the office is closing early.

Oh that's awesome!!! Your employer is loving rad for recognizing that.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

CLAM DOWN posted:

:canada: :350:

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Methanar posted:

I take american holidays

Weird way to say sick leave.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Weird way to say sick leave.

Weird way to say "fired because you couldn't get into work on new year's day"

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Oh that's awesome!!! Your employer is loving rad for recognizing that.

We are tribal government adjacent, so it makes sense.

The whole thing is pretty cool though. They've got a craft fair running downstairs right now, and there will be some traditional dancers doing a show at the end of the day.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

My office is closed for Indigenous Peoples day because I work for a good company.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

deedee megadoodoo posted:

My office is closed for Indigenous Peoples day because I work for a good company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Was installing a new receipt printer at work, and had forgotten to clear out the print queue and change the driver. New printer was a different model/driver, so when I turned the printer on, it quickly spit out 15ft of garbled junk before I could stop it.

One of the cashiers immediately asked "Are we printing CVS sized receipts now?"

I loled.

Edit: For those not in the US or aware of it.. CVS is a drug store chain well known for regularly printing 5ft+ long receipts for simple purchases like a pack of gum. They even have their own subreddit.. http://reddit.com/r/cvsreceipts

stevewm fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 14, 2019