Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

That's My Bush is from the pre-9/11 Bush Presidency and it's part of the reason it's such a weird cultural artefact.

Holy poo poo, yes. It's like a strange attempt to do political Seinfeld, just...non-political. Dubya as a lovable goof, everyone else as raw sitcom stock character 'parodies' , and....that's it, really.

Thankfully after 9-11 they quickly switched to going "Of course Saddam was WMDs, are you stupid??" and "Liberals both love terrorists and are terrorists, but we're not serious about it anyway, man." as their political vibe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Making a sitcom about the president of the united states and having the “joke” of the series be that it’s completely non-political and instead about how old sitcoms are lame is peak Parker/Stone.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Just as Nixon seems progressive because he was the last republican who behaved as though he had to leave the new deal in place, Bush will be remembered as not that bad because he was the last republican who had the self-control to not scream the n-word and kill people in concentration camps.

The horrors of the future will make you pine for the simplicity of a mere post-9/11 U.S.A.

Nixon at least knew when to quit.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

A big flaming stink posted:

shame about the 1 million dead iraqis

and withdrawing from the kyoto protocol

The atrocities of tomorrow will make you pine for the mere millions massacred yesterday. Welcome to the future, everything was a mistake.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

Yardbomb posted:

The reason they for a very long time couldn't make your built-in initial bag in WoW any bigger despite constant demand was because every time they tried, the game would horribly break in some new way and they didn't know how to untangle that ages old rats nest of coding, which of course was done by someone they couldn't just ask anymore either, probably having bailed out of there.

My favorite one of those "how does this even happen" bugs was that for a time, whenever a Paladin used a (fairly common) ability, everybody in the zone who happened to be sitting would stand up. That wouldn't be such a big deal, except you had to be sitting to eat/drink to regain health/mana, and a lot of foods gave you a buff to health or strength or whatever, but only if you spend 10 seconds eating, and standing up naturally interrupted eating.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I got to say I find it interesting how different these kludges are usually talked about in different media, in games they are quite often(but not always) held up as failures of development and lazy developers whereas in movies taping up a model with florescent tape to fake a wireframe city or making sci-fi props out of everyday objects are usually held up as some kind of genius ideas.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Hel posted:

I got to say I find it interesting how different these kludges are usually talked about in different media, in games they are quite often(but not always) held up as failures of development and lazy developers whereas in movies taping up a model with florescent tape to fake a wireframe city or making sci-fi props out of everyday objects are usually held up as some kind of genius ideas.

In movies you just have to film/render a thing once, and if it looks great, great. There’s no risk of it “breaking” in the future, so if you found a cost-effective way to create your scene, cool. In software, kludges, even if they felt clever when they were used, aren’t seen in a positive light because they almost always make it harder to maintain and extend the software later down the line without things breaking in bizarre ways.

ConfusedPig fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Oct 11, 2019

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

dirksteadfast posted:

That’s incredible. It’s like game design via Monkey’s Paw.

https://twitter.com/fullbright/status/1073624811107016704

This thread has a ton of amazing stuff like this.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

https://www.instagram.com/thefatjewish/?hl=en

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

New Nick Knacks on The Adventures of the Little Prince, where a French fantasy book got turned into a cheap-looking anime by a future hentai company and then received a crappy English localization from the Voltron guys. It's something of a journey.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Just Write looks at Isaac Asimov's Foundation series and how it is a clear example of sociological storytelling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCsCq4Qo9P4

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

SimonChris posted:

RIP the greifing thread from years ago that ended because we were digging at the bottom of the barrel due to running low on material and learning the hard way that letting member of myg0t stay on the forums was a terrible idea.
https://mobile.twitter.com/raphkoster/status/1074147530634457088

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

the griefing thread didn't die, it was murdered

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

Didn't Pewdiepie pal around with alt-right personalities a few years back?

Yeah, you could probably say that.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Unlucky7 posted:

Didn't Pewdiepie pal around with alt-right personalities a few years back?
He apperently showed up in the comments of a The Quartering stream as recently as last week. For what that is worth.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Making a sitcom about the president of the united states and having the “joke” of the series be that it’s completely non-political and instead about how old sitcoms are lame is peak Parker/Stone.
To really drive it home, the series was being developed before the election, and if Gore had his legal battle with a non-partisan court system won, then it would have had the exact same characters except the names swapped as needed.

Parker and Stone are like...little kids when it comes to politics. They very much want to be a part of it and say something, but not really. Not in a meaningful way? Like, I watched a few episodes from the recent seasons, and it’s an embarrassed, awkward walking back of their Greatest Takes from 15 years ago. Transgender people are okay, addiction and alcoholism are diseases, global warming is happening I guess.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

SimonChris posted:

Really, I think software engineering can be summed up in the fourth panel of this xkdc strip

https://xkcd.com/2030/

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Pants Donkey posted:

To really drive it home, the series was being developed before the election, and if Gore had his legal battle with a non-partisan court system won, then it would have had the exact same characters except the names swapped as needed.

Parker and Stone are like...little kids when it comes to politics. They very much want to be a part of it and say something, but not really. Not in a meaningful way? Like, I watched a few episodes from the recent seasons, and it’s an embarrassed, awkward walking back of their Greatest Takes from 15 years ago. Transgender people are okay, addiction and alcoholism are diseases, global warming is happening I guess.

fwiw this season basically came straight out the gate on fire, and the ICE episode and China episode are probably two of their best ever. not coincidentally, they're both also genuinely incisive as hell instead of being surface-level truth-in-the-middle takes or straight up idiot nonsense.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

SimonChris posted:

I don't think there's a tweet for it, but the subways in Fallout 3 are just an NPC with a subway car for a head running really fast.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Yeah that comes up eventually in that thread.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

A few days late in posting this, but Snipe and Wib took a look at the history of Necron models.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah that comes up eventually in that thread.

Oh, sorry. I didn't see it.

Honestly, I love those weird little workarounds developers come up with to pull things off in games.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

fwiw this season basically came straight out the gate on fire, and the ICE episode and China episode are probably two of their best ever. not coincidentally, they're both also genuinely incisive as hell instead of being surface-level truth-in-the-middle takes or straight up idiot nonsense.

Wow, what the hell happened?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

RareAcumen posted:

Wow, what the hell happened?

Trump got elected. Seriously, they made a whole season mocking him and showing what a piece of poo poo he was without realizing they were signal boosting him until it was too late.

I think they've had some serious regret and even some self reflection over that happening and his their "truth is in the middle" politics led to it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'd believe that if they didn't also say this season they would 'back off' Trump as if there's nothing funny there because the chud fanbase they have got mad they called daddy an idiot

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I haven’t been keeping up with the show, but maybe they’re just backing off because that topic is a dead horse at this point? I mean lots of shows have spent the last few years cramming in anti-Trump material whether it made sense in context or not, and South Park was always supposed to be about going against the mainstream.

I’m glad to hear they’re criticizing China though. That’s definitely the sort of topic I’d expect them to cover, i.e. something that few people in Hollywood have the guts to talk about. Maybe I’ll give this season a watch.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I mean, A) when has South Park ever shied away from a dead horse, and B) South Park is probably one of the few outlets that can get away with showing how actually funny Trump is by just calling him a queeny and senile old bitch who has absolutely poo poo his pants multiple times instead of the normal 'heh...president cheeto am I right....' weak jokes

Also 'criticizing china' requires zero guts, that's why we make fun of people like Blizzard who freak out and panic when someone on their platform does.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

sexpig by night posted:

Also 'criticizing china' requires zero guts, that's why we make fun of people like Blizzard who freak out and panic when someone on their platform does.

I think you need to follow a bit of money to see just how many businesses China has at least some investment in.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

I mean, A) when has South Park ever shied away from a dead horse,

It’s a little different when it’s something they themselves have been focusing on for a long time. Even a walking disaster of a person like Trump is eventually going to stop being a source of fresh material if you spend an entire season covering everything he does.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

I have terrible news for you about an already large and still growing number of U.S. businesses who are a lot better at sweeping things under the rug.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Bakeneko posted:

It’s a little different when it’s something they themselves have been focusing on for a long time. Even a walking disaster of a person like Trump is eventually going to stop being a source of fresh material if you spend an entire season covering everything he does.

Yeah they've been mocking Trump for like 3 seasons now I'm glad they're tackling ICE, China and Climate change instead and don't blame them for getting burnt out

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Ian Brutalmoose talks about chicken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B_lLHDMOaY

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Zinkraptor posted:

I have terrible news for you about an already large and still growing number of U.S. businesses who are a lot better at sweeping things under the rug.

https://twitter.com/Noahpinion/status/1181974464516374528
https://twitter.com/JajaLiao/status/1182798786403258368

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Thats the price to pay if you want that sweet sweet China buxx.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Little behind the curve, what did Natalie Wynn say to get her into Twitter hot water again?

I ask as Contrapoints rides again, this time with a video on Opulence .

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I didn't love the latest Contrapoints. I'm not exactly sure what the point was and her Natalieisms are getting annoying. I did like the part where she talked about her own personal insecurities especially when she first started transitioning, though.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

somekindofguy posted:

Little behind the curve, what did Natalie Wynn say to get her into Twitter hot water again?

if you google "contrapoints pronoun circle" you could probably find as much as you want about it. it was a huge derail here, but the gist is that some non-binary people objected to tweets about declaring pronouns. it was pretty complicated and has to do a lot with her history of talking about passing and self-identification. Someone in the left tube thread had a long post about it, but it's a long-standing issue.

edit: oh and as always, it was not just the first tweet that was the problem, but she kept tweeting through it

jackofarcades fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 13, 2019

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

somekindofguy posted:

She dislikes when cis people go the extra mile when it isn’t necessary. Like doing a pronoun thing when she’s the only trans person there. This in itself isn’t awful: I get annoyed when cis people do poo poo that’s largely performative and just makes me stand out as a trans woman when I want the opposite. However, this ignores the needs of non-binary people, and her tweets came off as dismissive at best and acting as if they’re a detriment to binary trans people at worst.

This wasn’t helped when she followed it up by saying she’s just an “old transsexual”, which raises a few eyebrows since 1) “transsexual” is an older term that tends to only be used by more regressive trans people and 2) she’s only been out as trans for a few years so acting like she’s a world-weary veteran of the Reagan years is kinda eye-rolling.

If there is one good point she makes, is that we need to not fervently demand immediate responses to controversy. As there’s a good chance you’re gonna to get a gut, instinctual reply that highly likely to just double down in a lovely manner. I don’t think it’s wrong to allow a person a few days to craft a response. As opposed to a billion-dollar corporation with a PR department who should be able to see “gently caress the Chinese government.”

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Between all the old stuff and her new vid using “transsexual” a lot and her saying “and a lot of them [trans people] are pretty fed up with me” followed immediately by a smash cut to a chapter title card that says “ENVY” I feel comfortable finally being done with her

Dunno what happened really but we trans folks can definitely do better than her

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Waffles Inc. posted:

“and a lot of them [trans people] are pretty fed up with me” followed immediately by a smash cut to a chapter title card that says “ENVY”

what the living hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Waffles Inc. posted:

Between all the old stuff and her new vid using “transsexual” a lot and her saying “and a lot of them [trans people] are pretty fed up with me” followed immediately by a smash cut to a chapter title card that says “ENVY” I feel comfortable finally being done with her

Dunno what happened really but we trans folks can definitely do better than her

yike