Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

DelphiAegis posted:

Contact centers seem to attract the stupidest of the stupid.

When a friend of mine worked at ours, he said they had to send out a memo with step by step directions on how to use the new office chairs.

They were no different than any other office chair you've ever used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Renegret posted:

When a friend of mine worked at ours, he said they had to send out a memo with step by step directions on how to use the new office chairs.

They were no different than any other office chair you've ever used.

Well, would you expect a dog to learn an office chair that quickly? Clearly you're a good boy above the rest, Renegret.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

DelphiAegis posted:

Well, would you expect a dog to learn an office chair that quickly? Clearly you're a good boy above the rest, Renegret.

Yeah, that's what they all say.

Then you hump ONE LEG and suddenly everyone's singing a different song.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Renegret posted:

Yeah, that's what they all say.

Then you hump ONE LEG and suddenly everyone's singing a different song.

But if you hump the right leg, you're management material!

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Nothing like going to open up Event Viewer to validate something with another team only to have it launch cmd.exe because you were testing out UAC bypasses earlier in the day.

I forgot the golden rule of running through something before you present it to other people. :eng99:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Use stickykeys for that, it's way more fun to watch people try to do it themselves later and get confused :v:

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

A new starter ticket came in for someone born in 2000

me right now:

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

bitterandtwisted posted:

Oh gently caress right off.

I've got shoes older than them.

E: I was posting jokes on SA about making GBS threads my pants whilst he was still making GBS threads his pants for real.

Shut up Meg fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Oct 11, 2019

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

bitterandtwisted posted:

me right now:

I am somewhat confused how you know the exact age of an employee. Is this some non-us shenanigans?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Sickening posted:

I am somewhat confused how you know the exact age of an employee. Is this some non-us shenanigans?

Probably have their birthday in the employee database?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

For us, DOB is used as an indentifying metric for manual remote password resets, so it’s stored in an ad attribute when the account is created.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Kurieg posted:

Probably have their birthday in the employee database?

What would be the purpose?

The Fool posted:

For us, DOB is used as an indentifying metric for manual remote password resets, so it’s stored in an ad attribute when the account is created.

Yikes. Seems kind of needless.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

How else would they get their name included in the monthly employee newsletter on their birthday month?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Sickening posted:

Employee verification on some lovely government tax document, along with their SSN and ID#.

Gotta make sure your employees aren't illegal.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sickening posted:

I have literally never worked anywhere that my birthday wasn't on the new hire paperwork, which just got passed as a package to each relevant department

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

I have literally never worked anywhere that my birthday wasn't on the new hire paperwork, which just got passed as a package to each relevant department

Crazy. All my personal information has just been with HR at every place I have worked. At most your birthday month was the only public company info.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sickening posted:

Crazy. All my personal information has just been with HR at every place I have worked. At most your birthday month was the only public company info.

Given that your birthday is public record, thats not the one I worry about.

I had one job post everyone's SSN in the break room

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

RFC2324 posted:

Given that your birthday is public record, thats not the one I worry about.

I had one job post everyone's SSN in the break room

When I started college, our SSNs were our usernames for all campus computer systems.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
SSN was on drivers licenses up until sometime in the last 19 years or something

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
SSNs are one of those things that make non-Americans just go :stonk:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

When I started college, our SSNs were our usernames for all campus computer systems.

At my college, email addresses were first & last initial plus last 4 of SSN, @schoolname.edu

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Arquinsiel posted:

SSNs are one of those things that make non-Americans just go :stonk:

Us too.

Us too

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
We have them in Canada too but I've never heard any rumblings about it?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
SSNs were never meant to be top secret skeleton keys for ID theft and this dumb lazy country is idiots for making them into that.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Any other agency issuing a number would turn out the same. It's never made sense why SSNs are treated like some special issue but, say, alternate ID numbers aren't.

There's quite a few countries out there where people are expected to regularly enter national ID numbers when using government and business websites.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Johnny Aztec posted:

SSN was on drivers licenses up until sometime in the last 19 years or something

Wasn't it Blockbuster Video that used your SSN as your account code?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Shut up Meg posted:

E: I was posting jokes on SA about making GBS threads my pants whilst he was still making GBS threads his pants for real.

:regd19: :confuoot:

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

I'm either implying that he was a pants shitter at the age of 18, or this account is a rereg.

Mind you, with kids these days, there's an equal possibility of either being the right answer. Bloody touchscreen and autocorrect has made kids these days soft.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Agrikk posted:

Wasn't it Blockbuster Video that used your SSN as your account code?

Not when I worked there in the early 00s, but it might have earlier on?

Blockbuster IDs consisted of a first digit indicating if it's a corporate or franchise store, then a 5 digit store code, then a 5 digit user code.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Blockbuster IDs consisted of a first digit indicating if it's a corporate or franchise store, then a 5 digit store code, then a 5 digit user code.

So what would happen if you registered 100,001 people to one store?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

JackSplater posted:

So what would happen if you registered 100,001 people to one store?

Corporate would probably look into what they were doing to capture such an unprecedentedly large portion of the market.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Our helpdesk's present "fix all the things" is to run gpupdate and escalate when that doesn't do anything.
This, but ours does gpupdate /force three times and then escalates. Much more thorough.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hey they at least need to try ipconfig /release, ipconfig /renew and ipconfig /flushdns too!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I saw this and thought of you all

quote:

Lupus is nature's DNS

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Hey they at least need to try ipconfig /release, ipconfig /renew and ipconfig /flushdns too!

Clear cache and cookies too! In every browser!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I am the helpdesk.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

sfwarlock posted:

Clear cache

What's funny is that this really does fix about 90% of our IT problems in the contact center.

The problem is that they use this huge mess of tools that pull on the IE framework, so clearing the cache doesn't actually clear the cache until you close all the tools. Last week we performed an upgrade on an internal, web based tool. I was on 3 separate bridge calls throughout the day just from outages being opened up by the contact centers where it turns out nobody was clearing their cache right each time.

Well, 2 of the bridges were to yell at them to clear their cache. The 3rd was because nobody read the patch notes, and the mysterious new error messages they were getting when trying to do something dumb were new features to prevent them from doing something dumb.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Renegret posted:

What's funny is that this really does fix about 90% of our IT problems in the contact center.

The problem is that they use this huge mess of tools that pull on the IE framework, so clearing the cache doesn't actually clear the cache until you close all the tools. Last week we performed an upgrade on an internal, web based tool. I was on 3 separate bridge calls throughout the day just from outages being opened up by the contact centers where it turns out nobody was clearing their cache right each time.

Well, 2 of the bridges were to yell at them to clear their cache. The 3rd was because nobody read the patch notes, and the mysterious new error messages they were getting when trying to do something dumb were new features to prevent them from doing something dumb.

woof

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
we;lp been at this job for 323 days and despite my numerous suggestions to remove Send access to our company-wide distribution list, it was determined that removing access to anyone not in corporate communications wouldn't be a priority.

Obviously, you know what's been going on for the past hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

nexxai posted:

we;lp been at this job for 323 days and despite my numerous suggestions to remove Send access to our company-wide distribution list, it was determined that removing access to anyone not in corporate communications wouldn't be a priority.

Obviously, you know what's been going on for the past hour.

Hey can you remove me from this posting chain?