Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

hobbesmaster posted:

Bombardier was just like Embraer until a few months ago though. Theres a lot of competition in the regional airline market and gulfstream/general dyamics and textron have their own solid niches.

I can imagine companies like Learjet and Gulfstream might resist making slightly larger versions of their jets as regional airliners because they think that would dilute their brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

hobbesmaster posted:

Bombardier was just like Embraer until a few months ago though. Theres a lot of competition in the regional airline market and gulfstream/general dyamics and textron have their own solid niches.

Yeah but Bombardier wasn’t (as far as I know) selling CRJs as biz jets or the Global Express as a regional jet. What about it made it worthwhile to make two separate jets?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

dupersaurus posted:

Yeah but Bombardier wasn’t (as far as I know) selling CRJs as biz jets or the Global Express as a regional jet. What about it made it worthwhile to make two separate jets?

Look up the formal model designation for the Challenger 600, CRJ and global express. They all start with CL-600.

Its range vs payload and length.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

dupersaurus posted:

There is actually overlap between CRJ and the original bizjet line. The challenger 800/850 is a CRJ 200. Global Express is a lot longer range and so is a separate niche, both marketing wise and physically (look at the wing)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The real question is how the CL-600 variants have different type ratings while Boeing gets to keep 1 for all 737s.
https://registry.faa.gov/TypeRatings/

Look at pages 3 and 5.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded

Yeah, if you check the ASN wikibase regularly, or follow the Latin American Aviation Historical Society on Facebook (which I highly recommend, incidentally) these happen multiple times a month.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

The real question is how the CL-600 variants have different type ratings while Boeing gets to keep 1 for all 737s.

yeah hows that worked out for them lately

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

Look at pages 3 and 5.

And there's the repeating ditty about how they can't change the overhead panel because the common type rating requires it, but that's bullshit because look at the DC-9 vs. 717 cockpits, which also share a type rating. Or how about the 707 and KC-135, there's a whole nother crewmember!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

hobbesmaster posted:

Look at pages 3 and 5.

As some that’s typed and has a lot of time in CL-65, it boggles my mind the CRJ200 and CRJ 700/900 are the same type, almost literally everything is different. Takes off different, lands different, different wing, different engines, different gear, different limitations, different everything other than the basic cockpit layout.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
The main cabin door is the same though :haw:

They retained that because redesigning it would have meant redesigning the nose gear, which would have prompted a new type certificate.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Yeah, if you check the ASN wikibase regularly, or follow the Latin American Aviation Historical Society on Facebook (which I highly recommend, incidentally) these happen multiple times a month.

So are these planes stolen or bought legit and torched to hide identification? Seems if multi million dollar jets are getting stolen so often for this there's be more furore. Then again at a wholesale value of say $50k per kilo you can probably write off a lot of planes and just chalk it up as operational expenses.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
aviation-safety.net is down now, I think you guys killed it with your links. Accidental DDOS

brains
May 12, 2004

Aargh posted:

So are these planes stolen or bought legit and torched to hide identification? Seems if multi million dollar jets are getting stolen so often for this there's be more furore. Then again at a wholesale value of say $50k per kilo you can probably write off a lot of planes and just chalk it up as operational expenses.

when i was working air interdiction in central america, the usual operation of smugglers went like this:

legally buy plane in south america
load it up with as much product as possible
fly it up to an uncontrolled area in honduras/guatemala
have the receiving team cut down a landing strip in the jungle
land/ditch the plane at night
offload product to trucks or boats in a nearby river
destroy or abandon the aircraft

nearly all of the time, the profit margin for them was so high it wasn't worth the risk of trying to recover the plane. it's also a lot easier to have an untrained pilot fly one way into a jungle strip, rather than have a trained one then have to turn around, with no fueling or support, and make a STOL departure with triple-canopy jungle on all edges. also, less fuel for the return trip means more payload for product- they would routinely over gross weight these planes.

it also goes without saying that the more time they spent on the ground, the more likely they were to get an unplanned guest

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

:stare::swoon:

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/JacdecNew/status/1183100163423948800

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

:glomp:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

"I was totally in the cockpit trying desperately to apply the brakes!" the brakeman said, as he surreptitiously wiped the crumbs of leftover galley food from his face.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Nebakenezzer posted:

If you want to read about a deadly accident involving a Canadian DC-8, clicky

:stonklol: at the cabin furniture sinking into the wheel wells

Mayday/Air Crash Investigation series 11 episode 9 "Under Pressure". Really awful and preventable incident.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

ewe2 posted:

Mayday/Air Crash Investigation series 11 episode 9 "Under Pressure". Really awful and preventable incident.

Did the episode show the lead investigator say, "Those tires were under-inflated!" And then he draws big circles around the general area of the landing gear on a big whiteboard with a diagram of the plane?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Finger Prince posted:

"I was totally in the cockpit trying desperately to apply the brakes!" the brakeman said, as he surreptitiously wiped the crumbs of leftover galley food droplet of purloined galley vodka from his face.

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

ewe2 posted:

Any time there you find a line in a writeup like “When... the first body fell out...” you know it’s a particularly unpleasant one.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

follow the trail of flaming corpses to the crash site

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

follow the trail of flaming corpses to the crash site

...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Midjack posted:

...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead

BoeingTM

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
That crash, while horrific, is a wonderful example of why we cross things out with one line so anything underneath is still legible YOU loving MORONS IF YOU SCRIBBLE OUT ONE MORE GODDAMN THING IN THE JOURNEY LOG AFTER BEING TOLD NOT TO I WILL CUT YOU!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Mr. Kong goes to a French aviation museum

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Apparently one of the Snowbirds had to eject today.

https://twitter.com/CFSnowbirds/status/1183436169331249154

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Everything you wanted to know about propellers but didn't want to ask:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bP2MH3LqvI

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

If anyone else gets a strong sense of deja vu while reading this article it's because it was linked when it came out.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Craptacular posted:

Apparently one of the Snowbirds had to eject today.

https://twitter.com/CFSnowbirds/status/1183436169331249154

I have to wonder how many Tutors they have for spares, like, in the world.

Currently the plan is to keep them flying until 2030 :stare:

https://nationalpost.com/news/aircraft-used-by-snowbirds-aerobatic-team-on-the-go-since-1963-will-be-kept-flying-until-2030

priznat fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 14, 2019

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I hope they keep them flying forever. I love the Snowbirds. They're a better show than any other demonstration team I've seen because there are ten of them. They do some really impressive moves like changing from a diamond to a cross to a leaf formation in the middle of a loop, and with so many planes there are always a couple doing something no matter where in the sky you look.

Big powerful planes are impressive at first but the Snowbirds are a lot more graceful.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah agreed they're my fav demonstration team even aside from the :canada: thing. Having the whole team go through maneuvers as one is spectacular.

I wonder what they might replace the Tutors with, hopefully something similar. Relatively inexpensive, lower speed maneuverable planes.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

I hope they keep them flying forever. I love the Snowbirds. They're a better show than any other demonstration team I've seen because there are ten of them. They do some really impressive moves like changing from a diamond to a cross to a leaf formation in the middle of a loop, and with so many planes there are always a couple doing something no matter where in the sky you look.

Big powerful planes are impressive at first but the Snowbirds are a lot more graceful.

The hawk would be logical as thats what took over in the training role.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'd be okay with that as long as they still fly ten nine of them

Also, it looks like the Hawk has the landing light in the nose, so they can have it turned on while flying. That's something I always liked about the Snowbirds -- seeing them flying at you off in the distance as this little formation of sparkling landing lights

e: I looked it up and it's nine planes with two spares so they bring eleven to every show. still, that's a shitload of planes

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Oct 14, 2019

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

priznat posted:

Yeah agreed they're my fav demonstration team even aside from the :canada: thing. Having the whole team go through maneuvers as one is spectacular.

I wonder what they might replace the Tutors with, hopefully something similar. Relatively inexpensive, lower speed maneuverable planes.

Joke option: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOmjfrKMzYw

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Hawks do make the most sense but I like the side by side seats in the Tutors for no real reason.

Biplanes another solid choice!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I would love it if Canada produced acrobatic jet biplanes

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I was flying jumpseat a few weeks back and the FO was a former CF18 and Snowbird pilot. It was really interesting hearing about the whole inner workings of the airshow circuit. Apparently it's really hard to find competent pilots for the snowbirds, because there aren't enough fighter trained pilots to join the program. It's not just a matter of aerobatic or aviating skill, what makes or breaks a performance is things like target acquisition and intercept, which is drilled into you as a fighter pilot. Of course the punters on the ground have no idea when someone's hosed up or missed their mark, because the team has contingencies built in to the show.
As for spare aircraft, yeah they're all absolutely beat to poo poo now, stress fractures and all that. They've restricted a lot of maneuvers for G loading to extend the life of the airframes.
Also the CF-18 display has been severely nerfed over the years because of a few accidents. It used to be the pilot made up his own routine, but now all the maneuvers are strictly proscribed. And there's no real official training. They rotate pilots through the airshow schedule every year and the outgoing pilot just tells the new guy what to do. But it's better logistically, because there's people who actually arrange transport and food and accommodation now, whereas before the pilot did all that himself.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Finger Prince posted:

But it's better logistically, because there's people who actually arrange transport and food and accommodation now, whereas before the pilot did all that himself.

Have Hornet, Will travel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Finger Prince posted:

But it's better logistically, because there's people who actually arrange transport and food and accommodation now, whereas before the pilot did all that himself.

I'm picturing a CF-18 parked at a Motel 6.