Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Alright, managed to track down a raw:

Star Twinkle 35: This week on Veep, Hikaru tries to run for student council and discovers that politics is a game for those who have to be confident in their greatness. She can't be like Madoka. As she runs against Sakurako, Sakurako's own jealousy starts to get to her until she becomes the basis for Kappard's weapon.

Fortunately, Hikaru throws the race at the end to allow Sakurako to become the next President, giving her what she wants and letting Hikaru keep up her magical girl duties. Not a bad episode overall, and more Sakurako is always welcome

Next Week: The Cat in the Hat Comes Back (it also appears to be a tie in to the movie ala KiraKira 37 as well)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apologies for the quadruple post but Overtime is finally back, they just released episodes 29-32. Anon’s subs are out for 35 now as well.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Oct 6, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Preview for the Halloween episode next week:

Not sure which I like more, Tsuchinoko Lala or Gumby Prunce (Yeti Hikaru isn’t bad either). Seems like a missed opportunity to not just have Yuni turn into her natural cat form though.

Also a neat little Easter egg I just noticed, in an episode of Splash Star Honoka (or at least some girls wearing Verone uniforms) can be seen in the background during one of Saki’s softball games:

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Oct 12, 2019

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Tsuchinoko and Jelly Jiggler real 2019.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/Anime/status/1182896691558670336

Studio Deen co-producing seems out of left field but I guess Toei is too busy

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Not entirely sure how they’re going to get two movies out of the Dream arc of the manga but hopefully this will be good.

Speaking of things coming back, Magia Record (the Madoka related project based on the mobile game of the same name) will begin its anime version in January of next year.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...artists/.150862

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 12, 2019

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The 2 Films is going to be covering all of Super S, which if it's going to be close to the manga may be for the best

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I don’t think I’m familiar with Studlo DEEN, what else have they done?

Edit: Apparently they’ve done in between work on a bunch of anime over the years, I’d just somehow never heard the name before.

But this arc is one of the few I actually thought was done better in the manga so this should be decent at least. Hopefully it won’t take another 5 years for them to get around to Stars.

Speaking of Stars, Viz should be releasing the final part of their dub of the 90’s version next month.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 12, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Star Twinkle 36: This week on Cat's Eye, Yuni and Mary Anne from the movie have a confrontation. It's been a while since Yuni's been in the spotlight, so having her get an episode to herself again was welcome. It sets up the movie well enough, and there was some nice comedy.

Next Week: The obligatory Halloween episode (featuring the return of Cat Yuni)

Also based on the preview during the OP it seems that Tenjou will be showing up in some capacity during the Star Twinkle movie, making this the third time I believe that an actual villain from the show has popped up in a non crossover film (the other two being Bunbee in Yes 5 GoGo and the Selfish trio at the start of the DokiDoki movie).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 13, 2019

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I wanna hope this is more KonoSuba than Junji Ito Collection but at this point I’m pretty sure Toei’s just out to half-arse as much of this one cartoon as they can get away with so I’m making my peace with this one.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Eh, Crystal Season 3 at least looked pretty good and DEEN’s done a lot of work on various shows/movies over the years so hopefully this will turn out ok. Also like I said, this is one of the few arcs I feel the manga handled far better than the 90’s anime did.

Anon’s subs are out now for Star Twinkle 36 and I imagine Overtime won’t be too far behind (they finally released their version of 29-32 last week after all).

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Being frank I kinda wish for it to just come out, maybe have some backwater studio with three chimps and a pirated copy of Flash to their names to do Stars and for this whole nightmare of a revial to be over.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah to be honest I’m kind of burned out on Sailor Moon (in fact I actually think Precure is the better series of the two). If you’re not going to actually do anything new with the brand at this point I’d say knock out Stars as soon as possible and then just let the series die in peace already.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Oct 13, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Well it finally happened, a Miracle Light made its way into the main series (Mary Ann was carrying one in her back pocket for some reason) but to be fair it was for the service of a good joke, the treasure being basically an intergalactic mood ring was kind of funny too.

I sort of like Mary Ann as well and look forward to seeing more of her in the movie. This was a good episode though, it had a lot of good humor, set up the plot of the film while at the same time standing well enough on its own, and even gave us some nice character development for Yuni.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 13, 2019

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The fact the new Sailor Moon movie is being directed by Chiaki Kon who did season 3 is a good sign, as is the fact they have the character designer back. It probably will just be the manga just animated with a few changes but I doubt it'll be a disaster like the first 2 seasons

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Someone recently translated the Smile Precure sequel novel:

https://twitter.com/SmileTLProject/status/1182114010671517696

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Crystal isnt great but i cant get mad at it existing. I think the 90s anime is better than the manga but objectively takeuchi got screwed over in terms of creative control, was forced to rush her manga for the sake of the anime, etc. After all that i cant blame her for wanting a more faithful adaptation to exist, and she used a lot of her own money to fund s1, which is why it was made on the cheap.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Season 1's QUALITY wasn't do to budget really, it more just got screwed over by Toei stretching itself thin and moving studios at the same time . A lot of Toei series around that time just had some rough looks cause of this (see Happiness Charge Precure)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It had a lower budget than even your average Sentai show (also Minako was a bit out of character even by manga standards) but I remember enjoying the live action Sailor Moon series as well.

It was certainly one of the more interesting interpretations of the Dark Kingdom arc and arguably gave the other characters not named Usagi more focus than even the original anime did.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

HappiCha had good animation though? They actually had multiple attacks and it wasn't always just using the latest combo attack (almost) every fight.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

They got multiple attacks cause the form changes were in 3D which did look good, and the stock was pretty good looking. But outside of that Happiness Charge (especially in the first 25 episodes) always looked rushed and was very much off model
in very noticeable places

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Then again, the last battle between Lovely and Mirage is arguably one of the best animated fights in the whole franchise in my opinion.

Happiness Charge may be one of my least favorite seasons but I will admit it had some decent fights here and there.

Off the subject, apparently several years back Toei released official English trailers for Splash Star and Yes 5:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Zp57fj_j-0g

https://youtube.com/watch?v=U7Dh02Um0oA

These were likely made more as pitches for a potential western release as opposed to something definite but the fact that the Splash Star one has actual voice acting besides the main narration is sort of interesting.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Oct 16, 2019

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

I just saw those last year and it blew my mind. They actually kept the Japanese names and junk, that's like my dream version of localized PreCure.

Also I love Happiness Charge, it's so dumb in the best way possible and the animation is a big part of that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

As far as Precure dubs go I think something along the lines of the Canada/UK exclusive Futari dub would be a fine compromise (change some names if you have to but leave everything else intact).

Mostly my issues with Happiness Charge stem from the following;

-They seem to have wanted to rush out Hime’s story as quickly as possible (she’s basically completely absolved of any wrongdoing early on and her reunion with her parents is reduced to a single frame near the end of the series)

-Yuuko/Cure Honey is an absolute waste of a character and the season probably could have been done without her (all we’ve really got is that she’s friendly, really likes rice and singing, and makes and distributes drugs “Honey Candy” for the townsfolk).

-Blue is a horrible mentor and technically was responsible for most of the central conflict in the series

-Megumi soloing the final battle while her team just watches from the sidelines (at least in DokiDoki Parthenon Mode was made up of power from all 5 Cures plus the three treasures)

-The international Precure angle was a fun idea but was barely utilized. It might have been fun to make this a world tour type series where the team goes around helping out/being helped by Precure from all over the globe. Maybe even lean into the anniversary aspect a bit more and have some actual crossovers with some of the past teams.

-A pointless love triangle subplot that gives me flashbacks to Fuji-P from Futari Wa (thankfully this one doesn’t drag on for quite as long though).

Despite that, there are plenty of good aspects as well. There are some good fight scenes (Lovely Vs Mirage is actually kind of brutal for this franchise honestly), the card battle system is probably one of the most unique we’ve ever had, the Pink has goddamn EYE LASERS, the basic plot sounds good on paper, and Seiji is basically a Precure without a suit. Overall HaCha isn’t a bad show per se, just a somewhat disappointing one.

KiraKira has its issues as well (most of the characters are fairly one note, the plot barely exists early on, it takes 10 episodes before the first real villain enters the picture, it’s not really clearly defined what “Kirakiraru” actually is, CQC is basically nonexistent aside from Gelato, etc) but I will give it credit for stuff like Bibury, the animal themed suits and powers (which I kind of hope comes back in a better season one day), and attempting to do away with the whole MOTW format for a change.

Speaking of which, Toei please bring back Regina and/or Bibury for more than a split second cameo one day (especially since the Kiryuu sisters from Splash Star seem to be getting a bit more love these days).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Oct 17, 2019

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Yeah, Happiness Charge has a lot of flaws for sure. I mostly agree with your complaints. It's the most "turn your brain off and enjoy this stupid thing" season of PreCure and I really appreciate that. Also it has the best outfits in any season, and Lollipop Hip Hop is legit my favorite magical girl design ever.

Kira Kira I never finished, but it has Gelato's transformation sequence where she does the thing with the jacket and pulls only one sock up because it looks more punk rock. That ruled.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

No word on the next season yet but we do have a teaser for next year’s All Stars movie:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=OmmYgF7sIi8

It’s called Precure Miracle Leap and will release on March 20th.

Kind of weird that they’d announce the crossover movie before they announced the 2020 season but from what I hear Toei apparently did the same thing last year with Miracle Universe.

This is probably just baseless speculation on my part but the film’s title and the amount of clocks featured in the teaser seem to suggest the next series might involve time travel somehow, a bit odd since we just had Hugtto last year but it could work (or the movie could turn out to be completely unrelated to the upcoming season. Also next year is HeartCatch’s 10th anniversary so it’s possible they might do something for that.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 21, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Star Twinkle 37: This was a fun Halloween episode, especially for the "Mihoshi Stars" sequence, where the team acts like a Sentai team to distract during the costume contest. I was half expecting J to join them as Silver Stag for no reason other than he could. We also got a bit of Kappard's backstory, and a hilarious Prunce appearance.

Next week: Yuni episode (also Aiwan finally returns)!

Judging by the preview, it seems that what appears to be Bakenyan wearing a beard and a cloak will feature into the next episode as well so I’m very curious to see what that’s about.

Then again, it could just be a flashback to how/why Yuni wound up infiltrating the NotRaiders in the first place. Either way, this potentially looks like Aiwan’s swan song (though I wouldn’t be opposed to her becoming another Bibury as well).

Also if Wikipedia is to be believed, Star Twinkle will be 49 episodes in total and run through late January (which sounds about right).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 20, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Subs are out for 37. Aside from the Sentai nod (which proves without a doubt that Lala is a Green Cure), the main draw this time is actually Kappard.

In this episode we learn a bit more about his backstory, it seems some time before his planet was destroyed it was invaded by aliens that wound up plundering the planet’s resources. Because of this, Kappard got into the mindset that people from different planets cannot possibly coexist (even telling Lala at the end that one day even she will be betrayed). There’s even a nice little scene where a crowd of people dressed in costumes temporarily reminds him of his homeland.

Next time the plot returns in full force as Aiwan finally comes back and more surprisingly so does Bakenyan (or someone who looks a lot like him wearing a green cloak who appears to be a fortune teller). There’s a shot in the preview of Aiwan on her knees crying so this might be (or at least be the start of) her redemption story.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 21, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In non Precure related news, the first Sailor Moon Eternal movie (the Crystal adaption of SuperS/the Dream arc of the manga) will release on 9/11/2020:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2019-10-21/1st-sailor-moon-eternal-film-opens-in-japan-on-september-11-2020/.152451

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's the time of the year where people are looking at trademark findings to find the name of the next precure...we've had one false call so far

https://twitter.com/trademark_bot/status/1186226631184134144

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiosity, is there a specific timeframe where the new trademark usually drops? It seems to be different every year (Hugtto was in late September, Star Twinkle was early October and I’m not sure about KiraKira and before).

Though as I mentioned a few posts above they just released a teaser for next year’s crossover movie a few days ago so I’d imagine the 2020 logo reveal can’t be too far behind now.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Oct 22, 2019

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

https://twitter.com/trademark_bot/status/1186660520000012294?s=19

Helluva name. I think that's a paw print? Vet/Rescue animal Precure?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pikestaff posted:

https://twitter.com/trademark_bot/status/1186660520000012294?s=19

Helluva name. I think that's a paw print? Vet/Rescue animal Precure?

Healin' Good Precure? Now there's a pun Nagisa's dad would be proud of. That said, a medical/rescue themed season (that involves animals presumably) could be interesting.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 22, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

u healin' awful

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’d kind of like to see animal themed suits and powers return from KiraKira as well (or failing that, something doctor/rescue themed could be interesting too).

This sounds like a good excuse to finally bring back a White Cure as part of the core team as well (though if the colors on the logo are any indication the starting lineup seems to be pink, blue, green, and purple).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 22, 2019

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I've seen a lot of speculation about maybe an environmental or save-the-earth theme, that would fit the plants in the logo too. Or we could all be completely surprised with something entirely different.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Nurse Angel is back but in Precure form!

Or it's going to be like slow placed slice of life to be healing like Non Non Biyori

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m down for Precure Ex-Aid/GoGo V honestly, it’s a fairly unique concept for this series at any rate (for a whole team anyway, there have been a few Blue Cures in the past that have aspired to be doctors).

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

The title Healin' Good owns, what the gently caress? I'm so down for VetCure.

The logo is pink and green though, and the All Stars poster suggested there's only two new cures at the start of the season. Having a doctor theme with zero blue cures is really funny to me for some reason, hope that ends up being the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Another possibility for Healin’ Good (though somewhat less likely) would be a Goseiger style series about a group of angels (albeit not the immortal kind of course) disguised as humans who protect the Earth in secret. Maybe have a human discover them and become their Seiji/Yui equivalent for the season (or better yet gain powers of her own and join them).

They could have kind of an elemental theme going for them with maybe three Cures to start each representing air, land, and sea respectively. It might also be interesting to begin en media res with the Cures already having their powers at the start (Happiness Charge sort of did this in the sense that everyone else was already a Cure before Megumi got her powers).

As for Star Twinkle, some new titles recently got revealed:

40: Her Identity is Exposed!? The Alien in Class 3 Year 2

41: Shine, Oh Moon☆ Madoka's First Step!

So Twinkle Imagination order is ultimately Yuni, Elena, Lala, Madoka, and finally Hikaru.

40 particularly interests me but it’s possible 41 might see a resolution (or the beginning of one at least) to the whole issue between Madoka and her father.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 23, 2019