Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Great game from both teams. Hard lines Scotland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

What an absolutely massive victory

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Great game, Japan deserved it. Surely they're a tier 1 team now.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

That was a great fuckin game.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
There might be money thrown at some of those players to draw them out of Japan.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Shame for Scotland. But a well deserved victory and fantastic game.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
What exactly does it take to become a tier1 nation?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Flayer posted:

Beating the All Blacks at least once.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Wales kisses their 1953 trophy every night before they go to bed.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

*cries in Italian*

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Flayer posted:

Being allowed into the big competitions on the fairly arbitrary basis of what will make more money

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Absolutely classic performance from Japan and what an amazing match. Really happy they found a way to make that game happen

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I watched it in the Narita Departure lounge high-fiving a Dutch guy who was following Australia with his wife for a month.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Just realized the Canada-Namibia cancellation draw gives them both 2 points, dooming the USA to share the wooden spoon with Russia on points. The Russians get it thanks to point difference.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

That was one of the all time great games of the World Cup. We came out on the losing side but I can't be too disappointed. Japan came and took the game off us.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Aramoro posted:

That was one of the all time great games of the World Cup. We came out on the losing side but I can't be too disappointed. Japan came and took the game off us.

gently caress that, we're a hopeless arse of a team. Fire Townsend and the entire senior squad into the loving sun. Dissolve the SRU.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I don’t really think you can calculate how much the home advantage meant to Japan there.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
It's been a long time since I've felt this proud to not be Scottish :scotland:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

That would make the ABs not a tier 1 nation. It would also make the Baa-baas a T1 team, which is good.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Communist Bear posted:

gently caress that, we're a hopeless arse of a team. Fire Townsend and the entire senior squad into the loving sun. Dissolve the SRU.

Someone Scottish says something similar to this most years. It's basically the boy who cried wolf at this stage.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

LimburgLimbo posted:

Japan is gonna loving win all their pool games

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Can't argue with result, Japan were incredible. Really hope they can go deep in the tournament.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Kitchner posted:

Someone Scottish says something similar to this most years. It's basically the boy who cried wolf at this stage.

Except in this version of the story it's a pack of wolves every single time

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Kitchner posted:

True that admittedly.

As this point it just doesn't matter. gently caress Scotland.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Japan played some blinding rugby. Fantastic. Fukuoka is an absolute flyer.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

harperdc posted:

Just realized the Canada-Namibia cancellation draw gives them both 2 points, dooming the USA to share the wooden spoon with Russia on points. The Russians get it thanks to point difference.

Amazing, though I kinda wish that we'd get embarrassed by Namibia and hopefully spur some change with Rugby Canada.

Absolutely fantastic job by Japan against the Scots.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Communist Bear posted:

True that admittedly.

As this point it just doesn't matter. gently caress Scotland.

Drunk Scottish fans decrying the performance of the team and insisting they don't care any more, only to see them next year full of hope before repeating the cycle is basically a rugby tradition.

Same with Italian fans insisting they will stop turning up to games if they don't improve. Or Welsh fans trying to act all cynical about their team's ability to perform but screaming at the top of their lungs of one of the players a) touch the ball and b) look in the direction of the try line. Or England fans walking into a pub of rugby fans from other teams and all the friendly chatter hushes and suddenly no one wants to talk to each other.

It's all part of the rugby fan experience.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Kitchner posted:

Drunk Scottish fans decrying the performance of the team and insisting they don't care any more, only to see them next year full of hope before repeating the cycle is basically a rugby tradition.

Same with Italian fans insisting they will stop turning up to games if they don't improve. Or Welsh fans trying to act all cynical about their team's ability to perform but screaming at the top of their lungs of one of the players a) touch the ball and b) look in the direction of the try line. Or England fans walking into a pub of rugby fans from other teams and all the friendly chatter hushes and suddenly no one wants to talk to each other.

It's all part of the rugby fan experience.

It's true. It's all true.

[whimpers quietly in the corner as he laments being Scottish]

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I don’t know who I’m going to root for, now :( I normally back the springboks but I really want Japan to go deep

... :wink:

I thought the Japanese side put a really impressive effort forth yesterday. There’s only a few places where things will need to be tidied up against RSA, but lineouts are 100% on that list.

Jedimastafez
Jun 5, 2005

The Stanley Cup has been kidnapped by Gary Bettman! Are you a bad enough dude to rescue it?
Nigel Owens confirmed to ref the ABs Ireland quater final

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
England v. Australia will be officiated by Jerome Garces. Based on his refereeing in Perth, that means he'll arbitrarily award territory to one team after they knock on, and they'll will be allowed to do whatever they want in the rucks, while the other team will be penalised if they so much as breathe on they're opponents. He's quite simply, not fit to referee at the test level.
The Assistant refs are Romain "Qu'est-ce qu'un hors-jeu?" Poite and Mathieu "Drooling idiot" Raynal.
Fun Police Ben Skeen will be the TMO.

Basically, gently caress French refs, they'll go out of their way to ruin this game.

As mentioned Nige will take the All Blacks v. Ireland quarter.
His assistants are Pascal Gauzere and Angus Gardiner.

Graham Hughes, who is actually pretty good, will be the TMO.

Wales v. France will be officiated by Jaco Peyper
The Assistant Refs are Nic Berry and Paul Williams.
Marius Jonker will by the TMO.

Japan v. South Africa will be officiated by Wayne "Actually improved by leaps and bounds since 2007, and it's a real shame he's packing it in after the tournament" Barnes.
The Assistant Refs are Ben O'Keeffe and Luke Pearce.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

I’ve been quite impressed by Nic Berry this tournament.

SRU will finish a glorious tournament with a disrepute charge for publicly threatening to sue before the game went ahead.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Kitchner posted:

. Or Welsh fans trying to act all cynical about their team's ability to perform but screaming at the top of their lungs of one of the players a) touch the ball and b) look in the direction of the try line.

Oh god I do this so much it’s criminal

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

lenoon posted:

Oh god I do this so much it’s criminal

My nan was a proper Welsh nan and she used to shout at the TV every time someone from our team ran more than two steps with the ball too.

I got to see Wales vs England in Cardiff pre-world Cup and I've got tickets to Wales vs Scotland in Cardiff next year, and that's always fun because you really get immersed in "Welsh fans shouting at man with egg shaped ball".

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I checked last night after getting an email that there were knockout tickets back on sale, and there are still tickets for Wales-France, and a couple expensive ones for England-Australia. The two QFs in Tokyo, and the rest of the knockout games are all turbo sold out.

So if anybody is in or close to Kyushu...

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

bigfoot again posted:

I’ve been quite impressed by Nic Berry this tournament.

SRU will finish a glorious tournament with a disrepute charge for publicly threatening to sue before the game went ahead.

Seeking legal advice regarding tournament rules =/= suing WR.

That said, Dodson is a loving moron and shouldn't have made it public.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
The amount of Irish people on Facebook groups now looking to exchange QF tickets is rather hilarious. Since japan won thats almost all thats been posted

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

LimburgLimbo posted:

The amount of Irish people on Facebook groups now looking to exchange QF tickets is rather hilarious. Since japan won thats almost all thats been posted

All the Tokyo expats thought they’d be locked in to the local quarter final eh

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

harperdc posted:

All the Tokyo expats thought they’d be locked in to the local quarter final eh

To be fair conventional wisdom for a lot of people would indeed put Ireland at the top of the Pool.

Unfortunately I just offloaded my tickets for both Oita games because I’m sick, then saw someone was wanting to exchange and Oita QF for Japan vs SA...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

Kitchner posted:

Or Welsh fans trying to act all cynical about their team's ability to perform but screaming at the top of their lungs of one of the players a) touch the ball and b) look in the direction of the try line.

Stop watching me every moment of my life please.