Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Yeah, I have been feeling a change in quality and tone since Contra’s “Men” video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I was willing to cut her some slack when on some stream she clarified more about the whole thing that caused the dramabomb and it came off far more reasonable than her tweets, and then like a week later she came back to twitter and immediately tweeted out a "sorry i DARED to have an OPINION!" poo poo and boy was my face red.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

so, what is the vid about? I thought it has to do with Capitalism or something.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I wonder if the thing with ContraPoints is inevitable once you get a certain number of people saying things like 'we stan a true queen' in the comments.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I mean there’s always gonna be people who will leave you for not being perfect but the contra situation is a bit beyond that

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea there's 'oh, yea this person worded a thing poorly and had some people get upset at them' and there's 'oh, she's doubled down like four times on this really stupid thing, welp'.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

It is about the image of wealth and its connection to the image of power.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Waffles Inc. posted:

Between all the old stuff and her new vid using “transsexual” a lot and her saying “and a lot of them [trans people] are pretty fed up with me” followed immediately by a smash cut to a chapter title card that says “ENVY” I feel comfortable finally being done with her

So did she just give up on pretending that she's about as privileged you can be as a trans women and how that might skew her perspective?

I contend that envy can be a powerful force.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The key to the Contrapoints situation seems to be that argument posted a while ago about how marginalized people will focus their criticism on people they know will listen to them because that’s the only chance marginalized people have to ever be acknowledged. Part of that might involve disproportionate anger where once criticism gets started, the object of it gets some proportion of the total frustration felt by the audience. If there are only certain times and places you’ll ever matter enough to move the needle, it makes a lot of sense that your frustration about that can leak into those times when you are able to move the needle.

Like, Contrapoints is a curiosity compared to anything put out by legacy media and her “success” is modest in all but the most relative terms, but if she’s the only game in town then a) some people are always going to be frustrated that there aren’t more voices and b) there are always going to be huge, contradictory expectations from people who are otherwise treated as invisible.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Waffles Inc. posted:

Between all the old stuff and her new vid using “transsexual” a lot and her saying “and a lot of them [trans people] are pretty fed up with me” followed immediately by a smash cut to a chapter title card that says “ENVY” I feel comfortable finally being done with her

Dunno what happened really but we trans folks can definitely do better than her

At the risk of sounding like some crazy stan, let's be perfectly real here: a lot of the big characters involved in the various backlashes against contra are also people making youtube vids and essays, most of which are not nearly as big in The Discourse, and to act as if there isn't at least a partial amount of "gently caress you for being successful when I'm not" going on here is honestly kinda naive. One of the criticisms levied at her videos is "why is she so theatrical instead of FOCUSING ON THE TOPIC," and coincidentally a lot of lower traffic lefty writers have a real bad problem with being dry as dust, so there absolutely is resentment there for her getting so big while "doing it wrong."

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I don't make essays and the constant skit junk did made their videos pretty unwatchable for me, also they can gently caress right off forever if the "Durr envious" thing was as intended as it sounds.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
You know, i sure am glad i wont ever have to see people doing that stupid rear end and kinda creepy "queen just uploaded a new video :allears:" poo poo

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

I don't make essays and the constant skit junk did made their videos pretty unwatchable for me, also they can gently caress right off obviously if the "Durr envious" thing was as intended as it sounds.

Same. Also the epic ftw comedy too

watho
Aug 2, 2013

on the flip side a lot of the big people who defended her during the debacle were people like Ian miles cheong and armored skeptic but I’m not gonna say that everyone who likes her is an alt right grifter

Most people I know who dislike her (including me) are just rando trans people who’s not had any intentions or attempts at internet fame, and there are people I’m super loving jealous of that I don’t dislike in the slightest

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

im jealous of people who can be honest about the things that affect them personally, it seems like a much healthier way to live life

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

watho posted:

on the flip side a lot of the big people who defended her during the debacle were people like Ian miles cheong and armored skeptic

Those people are parasites desperate to replicate the corruption of Laci Green. They float around a lot of youtube people, posting encouraging twitter things and popping up in the chat to drop a love bomb and mention how reasonable they are whenever there's a whiff of "the left" "turning" on somebody.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Kurzgesagt is one of my favorite youtube channels and they just put out a meticulously detailed and suitably horrifying(despite their cutesy artstyle) video on exactly what happens if a nuke is detonated in the middle of a major city.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iPH-br_eJQ&hd=1

you win the no-prize if you guessed "it doesn't go well for anyone involved"

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

Trump got elected. Seriously, they made a whole season mocking him and showing what a piece of poo poo he was without realizing they were signal boosting him until it was too late.

I think they've had some serious regret and even some self reflection over that happening and his their "truth is in the middle" politics led to it.

Parker and Stone were also the types to not really think any further than their noses on certain topics. It's like when you see a hacky comedian go "It's just jokes! Don't take everything so seriously!" But there are people taking them seriously, often with the worst intentions in mind. if you understand the way the average Joe Pasta takes in media, you know that a half-thought-out joke centered around a serious topic like climate change or marginalized people is going to inform that person's view of the world, and there's a chance that they're going to act on it. The problem is that the people who do eventually end up reaching guys like Matt and Trey are people who are just their own type of ignorant dumbass who doesn't understand that yelling "You're racist!" isn't going to convince someone who could otherwise be convinced of their error.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

The whole "Old School Transexual" thing is what made me start to side eye Conta too. Like...Bitch I have at least 6 months on you. Maybe a year. What does that make me, the trans old wise woman?

:corsair: "Gather around children, let me tell you about the time when chokers were the height of trans girl culture, and everyone pretended to be cat girls."

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

edit: eh nm

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 13, 2019

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

The whole "Old School Transexual" thing is what made me start to side eye Conta too. Like...Bitch I have at least 6 months on you. Maybe a year. What does that make me, the trans old wise woman?

:corsair: "Gather around children, let me tell you about the time when chokers were the height of trans girl culture, and everyone pretended to be cat girls."

She was obviously talking about her mentality for these things, not that she really believed she was that old.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

yeah we’re talking about how long she’s been out and transitioning not her age

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Archer666 posted:

She was obviously talking about her mentality for these things, not that she really believed she was that old.

the problem is in the actual community the people who use terms like that specifically appealing to age and poo poo tend to be like 'old school queers' who will tell you about how THEIR pride marches had them in suits showing how they were normal like everyone else, it's very much meant as a flag in the communities for 'I'm not like those silly tumblr babies who (insert whatever probably fake bullshit is popular to use as an example of THE TRANSES GOIN CRAZY these days here)' and there's no way Contra doesn't know that, in fact her not actually being an 'old school transsexual' makes it way more likely she knew what she was doing.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

the problem is in the actual community the people who use terms like that specifically appealing to age and poo poo tend to be like 'old school queers' who will tell you about how THEIR pride marches had them in suits showing how they were normal like everyone else, it's very much meant as a flag in the communities for 'I'm not like those silly tumblr babies who (insert whatever probably fake bullshit is popular to use as an example of THE TRANSES GOIN CRAZY these days here)' and there's no way Contra doesn't know that, in fact her not actually being an 'old school transsexual' makes it way more likely she knew what she was doing.

Yeah, this and what Waffles was talking about before they edited their post. I get it, theres aspects of the online trans community that can be annoying but the whole "Old School Transexual" Bit seems to come off as throwing a huge chunk of that community under the bus to appeal to liberals who are OK with the LGBT community as a whole "But can you all tone it down just a bit? K thanks."

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 13, 2019

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

clearly she's agekin.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

At this point I feel like I have negative expectations for content creators

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I wish I could just quit Contra, but there's enough in that video that's good that I can't just unsubscribe. but I can't really get mad anymore at people who just have no interest anymore in putting up with her bullshit.

The Darkness was a pretty clear thesis statement on her sense of humor and how she communicates, and it's weird to me when people make observations about her that she literally already copped to in that video, albeit with putting the most positive spin on it she could. She IS insufferably edgy at times, her sense of humor veers into bad taste, and I groan every time she says "transsexual" or the outright slur she likes to use ironically. I think a lot of her mindset is still stuck in the late 00's/early 10's, and the level of fame she's arrived at is causing a tension between her now kind of outdated thinking and a legion of young people now online to whom that thinking is not only alien, but maybe considered dangerous.

maybe it's that tension that is so compelling to me. I think it's pretty clear she's not any kind of saint or particularly heroic person, while also being an interesting artist/personality. but I take the Lindsay Ellis approach here. Saying THING BAD, or THING PROBLEMATIC. not particularly useful. I think it's more useful to keep some pressure on Contra to be better, because she does have a large following that takes her too seriously. You can still not watch, you can still be critical, but I think the kind of vicious reaction we saw in some parts (and here a little bit) does nothing but give the alt-right a potential wedge.

but the TRANS COMMUNITY definitely does need more prominent voices that better represent that younger mindset. instead of necessarily saying "Contra bad", in conversation, it might be useful to instead recommend trans creators that provide different perspectives, and suggest people pledge money to them instead of Contra, who clearly doesn't need it if she can now afford to film in a museum.

I hope people don't read this and understand it as an apologia for Contra. her response to the controversy in her latest video was BAD. and lol she had Buck Angel do a voice role, WHAT THE loving poo poo.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
^efb: :same: kind of

On the one hand, this seems pretty in line with Natalie's catty humor. I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, I'll have to check later tonight. I saw a lot of people treat her "I know asking gender makes non-binary people's lives much better but it makes mine slightly worse and that makes my life like really hard guys" joke as serious.

But...Jesus she is getting irony poisoned to the point where I'm not sure about it anymore. At best she's on a real streak of touching a hot stove just because people told her not to, and it's not a great look. Or, she's got some ugly opinions that she's floating trial balloons on. When she came back to twitter she was just so weird about it. Somebody in her life really needs to pull her aside and tell her she's kind of being an rear end in a top hat.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

It kinda sucks because adam neely was in the latest video cause he’s one of my favorite channels on youtube

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Spatula City posted:

I wish I could just quit Contra, but there's enough in that video that's good that I can't just unsubscribe. but I can't really get mad anymore at people who just have no interest anymore in putting up with her bullshit.

The Darkness was a pretty clear thesis statement on her sense of humor and how she communicates, and it's weird to me when people make observations about her that she literally already copped to in that video, albeit with putting the most positive spin on it she could. She IS insufferably edgy at times, her sense of humor veers into bad taste, and I groan every time she says "transsexual" or the outright slur she likes to use ironically. I think a lot of her mindset is still stuck in the late 00's/early 10's, and the level of fame she's arrived at is causing a tension between her now kind of outdated thinking and a legion of young people now online to whom that thinking is not only alien, but maybe considered dangerous.

maybe it's that tension that is so compelling to me. I think it's pretty clear she's not any kind of saint or particularly heroic person, while also being an interesting artist/personality. but I take the Lindsay Ellis approach here. Saying THING BAD, or THING PROBLEMATIC. not particularly useful. I think it's more useful to keep some pressure on Contra to be better, because she does have a large following that takes her too seriously. You can still not watch, you can still be critical, but I think the kind of vicious reaction we saw in some parts (and here a little bit) does nothing but give the alt-right a potential wedge.

but the TRANS COMMUNITY definitely does need more prominent voices that better represent that younger mindset. instead of necessarily saying "Contra bad", in conversation, it might be useful to instead recommend trans creators that provide different perspectives, and suggest people pledge money to them instead of Contra, who clearly doesn't need it if she can now afford to film in a museum.

I hope people don't read this and understand it as an apologia for Contra. her response to the controversy in her latest video was BAD. and lol she had Buck Angel do a voice role, WHAT THE loving poo poo.

i really can't comment on the particularities of trans expression since im a gross cishet, but i have been struck over and over again by the fact that it is apparently illegal to apologize for a mistake on twitter. its never "oh, that's a good point, sorry for coming off as ignorant" it's always DOUBLE DOWN

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Wait, isnt Buck Angel a massive Truscum? Holy poo poo?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I dunno about full Truscum bullshit but Buck was big into 'I'm a respectable trans I'm not going to protest or get angry at people or anything that makes cis bigots' lives harder or really even makes them acknowledge I exist at all' last I saw

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

A big flaming stink posted:

i really can't comment on the particularities of trans expression since im a gross cishet

please dont do this

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

yeah, everyone came out to be in the latest ContraShow and it was her worst video in awhile.

I'm not at the point where I'm going to quit watching Contrapoints but this latest one and the Men video didn't do it for me. I think it takes three strikes for me to quit watching a YouTuber and even then I will occasionally on them. This is pretty much what happened with Night Mind. I occasionally check out Night Mind to see if he's made anything I would like but nothing lately.

I was never the biggest Kat Blaque fan but as Wynn has turned more and more into a caricature, I appreciate her down-to-earthiness.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Junpei Hyde posted:

please dont do this

huh? im just acknowledging my lack of standing in a somewhat memey fashion

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

If were throwing out trans youtubers, can I put Nyx Fears back out there? Their channel basically took a long hiatus because of her viewership dropping because of her transition and a really ugly breakup with an ex of hers but shes back! Give her another chance.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

watho posted:

It kinda sucks because adam neely was in the latest video cause he’s one of my favorite channels on youtube

At the risk of literally doing the "overly scrutinizing marginalized people" thing, I'm not gonna hold Adam too accountable for not being in on the rat's nest of leftist queer politics. If he was making leftist political content, sure, but as a music theory channel I'm willing to cut him more slack for not being familiar with the whole thing.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Oh yeah nyx fears is great and I hope she recovers her viewership

e: I completely agree, I’m not gonna stop watching him or anything I just feel tad bit :/ about it

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Oh yeah. I dont blame anyone for working with her still. I have problems with how shes acted lately but I wouldn't call her a total lost cause. Most of them are friends and I dont blame them for still working/hanging out with them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

A big flaming stink posted:

huh? im just acknowledging my lack of standing in a somewhat memey fashion

it can just come across somewhat performative in an irksome fashion