Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

bitprophet posted:

Where's the Trolloc? I can't find it even when I go full size on that pic.

Also, excite. Finished MoL late last week (this reread was my first time getting past, I think, book 4? 5?) – it's been a real ride finally finishing up something I started reading in the mid 90s, and now being able to follow development/release of the hopefully-not-butchered TV show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm sorry, I just cracked up at the zoom-in and realizing that we know it's a WoT shoot because of all the women in long sequined ball gowns that you can only describe in six-page asides in the middle of a conversation

Also I think the trolloc in the middle is an animatronic or a camera dolly

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Two thoughts on Warriors of the Altaii: it's half the size of The Book of Dust 2 and twice the cost. Yikes.

Kurt Loadeater
May 15, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Lord Bude posted:

Whitecloaks are worse. The Seanchan are an awful, twisted culture, albeit not without similarities to real world historical societies, but the Whitecloaks hit closer to home - They are essentially a stand in for the Christian fundamentalists that are a very real, very ugly threat that we can see existing around us in the world today. They represent hatred, intolerance and bigotry in a way that none of the other antagonists do; and that has a stronger impact than traditional 'fantasy villain' archetypes.

These things are not christian specific nor are they even the worst offendors. Abrahamic religions are like a bag of potato chips. You don't get to hate just one.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Kurt Loadeater posted:

These things are not christian specific nor are they even the worst offendors. Abrahamic religions are like a bag of potato chips. You don't get to hate just one.

Never said I did. That was just the first analogy that came to mind; and the most relevant/relatable to the average person reading this thread.

Kurt Loadeater
May 15, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
OK fair enough, dumb reply on my part then.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
It occurred to me yesterday that DOOM and Wheel of Time have basically the same backstory.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
I tried to read this series. But there was a stumbling block. I absolutely HATE one character. If ever there was a character I wanted to see eaten by a Trolloc it was Elayne. I got as far as her adoption ceremony with Aiel girl. And just couldn't go on. Any advice on how to get over the terribleness that is Elayne?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

BattyKiara posted:

I tried to read this series. But there was a stumbling block. I absolutely HATE one character. If ever there was a character I wanted to see eaten by a Trolloc it was Elayne. I got as far as her adoption ceremony with Aiel girl. And just couldn't go on. Any advice on how to get over the terribleness that is Elayne?

You actually got pretty drat far in.

I'd suggest just skipping the elayne chapters.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

BattyKiara posted:

If it makes you feel better she literally never sees any consequences for her actions and at one point assumes she has plot immunity and can't die for a while. Because of this lots of people get killed.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Elayne and Gawyn are stereotypical fantasy heroes, they're both beautiful, blond royals from not-Camelot and they're both giant idiots who get people killed and think they're always right even when they're told to their faces that they're not.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
At least Gawyn gets to go down like a champ. The whole Seanchan at the White Tower battle could be super loving neat. I hope the show has a Game o Thrones size budget and does really well.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm lukewarm on the books, but very excited for the TV series and yea, I hope it does well so that Amazon funds the poo poo out of it. Lots of stuff will translate very well to the screen.

What was the book where Rand is in the box and then the Ashaman break him out, I think, and then they just make like a giant circle of explosions that just chunk every body coming up at them? That will be so goddamn :black101: and I'd love to see it.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
That was the Battle of Dumai's Wells in Lord of Chaos, Book6. I very much doubt the series will last that long honestly but it'd be pretty awesome to see if it does.

Anyone have any thoughts on what they'll do regarding the ageless look of Aes Sedai? It seems like it'd be pretty difficult to accomplish with as many women as they'd need to so I expect they'll just drop it but I do wonder if they'll replace it with some other visual cue. As characters being able to identify an Aes Sedai on sight is often very important.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sab669 posted:

I'm lukewarm on the books, but very excited for the TV series and yea, I hope it does well so that Amazon funds the poo poo out of it. Lots of stuff will translate very well to the screen.

What was the book where Rand is in the box and then the Ashaman break him out, I think, and then they just make like a giant circle of explosions that just chunk every body coming up at them? That will be so goddamn :black101: and I'd love to see it.

Lord of Chaos.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I always thought the split-up everyone make their way to Caemlyn would translate incredibly well to screen. One episode per group maybe?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Nap Ghost

Spek posted:

That was the Battle of Dumai's Wells in Lord of Chaos, Book6. I very much doubt the series will last that long honestly but it'd be pretty awesome to see if it does.

Anyone have any thoughts on what they'll do regarding the ageless look of Aes Sedai? It seems like it'd be pretty difficult to accomplish with as many women as they'd need to so I expect they'll just drop it but I do wonder if they'll replace it with some other visual cue. As characters being able to identify an Aes Sedai on sight is often very important.

Honestly a bit of CGI might be the way to do it. Bonus being even if it's not a great effect it's still an identifier. Just de-age older actors and maybe add a little to younger ones

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Spoilers :(

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Spek posted:

My head cannon is that it looks like someone who’s had a grossly excessive amount of plastic surgery/botox and as a result has that uncanny valley effect. Might even be achievable with makeup or prosthetics. Basically a bunch of women who look like Joan Rivers.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Sorry, didn't realize there was a spoiler policy for this book series that's been out for like 30 years and complete for 5+.

I am certain that the TV show thread will have an ironclad spoiler policy that I will have no problem with, tho.

e: and if folks decide there should be a spoiler policy for this thread I'll happily comply with that, too. It's a good series and I want people to enjoy it.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I picked up the first book on sale a few months ago I got to about book 8 or 9 when I was young I fell off it cause he was still writing them slowly at the time. I will say the first 5 books hold up especially the first couple but I also remember they start to slow way the hell down and sure enough I’m on book 6 and it’s already starting. There probably should be an abridged version that cuts out like a million words that don’t need to be written.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

please dont spoil poo poo for all the new readers this tv show will hopefully bring in

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Personally I like the series more after it slows down. 4-8 is probably my favourite chunk of the story; followed by book 11. The only reason I rate 9-10 slightly lower is because I really, really don't like the Perrin/Faile plotline in those books.

Conversely everyone seems to hate Elayne, but I've never minded her. I kinda like the 'Andoran Politics' thing her latter storyline does, and I think her section was overall the best in book 11.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

She hasn’t bothered me too much in my reread so far. In general the women chapters just get less of the real good bits unlike the boys. That first books tone is fuckin wild compared to the proceeding books. It’s like a horror movie. The braid poo poo is loving awful though, I think everyone agrees there.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Elayne is mostly tolerable because she's paired with Birgitte, who is awesome.

Nihilarian posted:

please dont spoil poo poo for all the new readers this tv show will hopefully bring in

This book series is 14 books long and 29 years old. If we want to avoid spoiling things, we're gonna have to spoiler tag pretty much everything. It's really not worth it, imo.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I cannot stress enough that the audiobooks are incredible. They do a fantastic job voicing the characters, and it definitely makes the books 8-11 chapters of Elayne and others better.

I really enjoy the different pacing styles of the books. The series is divided up pretty well into 4 sections in my opinion.

Spoilers below I guess

Books 1-3 is more fast paced young heroes coming of age. We don't know much about the history of the world yet and we barely know anything of any of the world's nations.

Books 4-6 is the reader learning about the layout of the land, the state of the different nations, and some of the history of the world (Rand's Aiel vision, some of Mat's memories). Normal rules of the land start to fail as the tower is broken and the Seanchan return. Founding of the black tower. The Aiel crossing the spine. This seems like the set up for books 7-11. For our heroes we get the main characters falling into their roles. The rise of the Dragon Reborn to power as well as Mat the general, Lorn Perrin, Egwene the Amrylin, Nynaeve the healer.

Books 7-11 is just pieces moving on the board getting everything into place for the last battle. The main focus is the struggle of Egwene vs Elaida, Seanchan vs Rand, and cleaning up some plot threads *cough* Perrin *cough*

Then we get 12-14. Preparing for and fighting the last battle. I enjoy that by these books the reader has visited every nation in the books, seen perspectives from most of the good and bad guys, and knows the history of the world.

Sorry about the bad ish write-up, I just have a jumble of thoughts to phone post while I wait to start work today.

Best characters in order.
1. Hopper
2. Nynaeve
3. Mat
4. Birgitte
5. Thom

Fight me

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Just finished my reread of The Eye of the World. I can't even say for sure if it's my 2nd, 3rd or 4th time reading it. I feel like I must have read it a second time in anticipation of a new book release at some point, but I know on some rereads I just skipped forward to like book 3 or 4 to get straight into the action.

But I am glad that I did reread it again. There's a lot of book here and it makes me wish I was 15 again so I could run home from school and jump right into the next book. Sadly, everything after The Eye of the World is literally on the other side of the planet from me and I don't really feel like buying them again. Maybe as eBooks if I ever get a dedicated reader. I'm visiting home for Christmas, so I'll be able to start reading at least one more and maybe will find a way to fit a couple into suitcases. Probably not all 14 though.

I can't say I was particularly engaged by the first hundred pages, but knowing the whole story, it was nice to see Emond's Field again still as a quaint farming village.

I would be really curious to see what his original outlines or plotting looked like when he thought he could get this done as a trilogy. At nearly 800 pages in paperback, if the other books had moved at this speed and not really introduced any more plots or characters, he probably could have gotten it done.

But the Wheel Weaves as the Wheel Wills.

Also, my current take on Fain is that he's a cross between Renfield and Gollum, at least early on. There's also a big enough seed planted in Fal Dara when Moraine says that part of the Dark One has been imprinted on him for the idea that he would replace the Dark One to not be a totally crazy fan theory.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Are there any ebook deals on this series? I own it in physical form, but the books are all so chunky they're uncomfortable to read. My kindle is so small and light that it's spoiled me. I'd gladly pay a few bucks per book to get them in digital form.

However, I can only seem to find them at $10/book-ish. :(

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

library dude

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

ConfusedUs posted:

Are there any ebook deals on this series? I own it in physical form, but the books are all so chunky they're uncomfortable to read. My kindle is so small and light that it's spoiled me. I'd gladly pay a few bucks per book to get them in digital form.

However, I can only seem to find them at $10/book-ish. :(

You could bookmark this (also available from other sources if you don't use Kindle) and wait for a sale.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I got the first one on sale a few months back but none of the rest have gone on sale. Sometimes you get a google play offer or a buy 20 bucks worth get 4 dollars off next deal for kindle but it’s hard to get deals on specific things. But considering the TV show is in production I bet they’ll start throwing them on sale for hype.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
My biggest, nerdiest hope for the TV show is that it has enough popularity that we can get some semi-decent miniatures out of it. I just hope CMON isn't the one to get their hands on the license.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I am Rand al'Tho! I am Funko Pop #2,278!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Stupid loving monkey paw.

I'm a few chapters into Warrior of the Altaii and while it is quite light, I am actually enjoying it a lot. There's a ton of world building, but it never gets in the way of the storytelling. There narrator talks about the monsters, creatures and factions as if the reader is already familiar with the world, so you don't have multiple page long blocks of exposition, just a few clarifying lines here and there. Chapters are a few pages long and move the plot along briskly. And there's enough weirdness early on to make it clear this is not strictly fantasy. There are parallel universes and possibly time travelers.

Wheel of Time seed: And only women can use magic, which is itself an inherent ability, not exclusively a learned skill.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I only have one burning question about the TV show: how many mustaches will they attach to Thom's face

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Data Graham posted:

I only have one burning question about the TV show: how many mustaches will they attach to Thom's face

All of them, obviously.

Another burning question: Will we get an entire episode of Elayne bathing?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Torrannor posted:

Another burning question: Will we get an entire episode season of Elayne bathing?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Bathing is to Elayne what scowling out of window while clutching a cup of wine is to Cersei.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

First bathing scene in the book is the Rand, Mat, Perrin and Lan in the Inn when they get to Baerlon. Then after that we get the 3 boys being embarrassed about mixed sex public baths in Shienar. I hope they don't discriminate with the male nudity like most shows do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

RC Cola posted:

and cleaning up some plot threads *cough* Perrin *cough*

It's actually pretty loving funny that RJ managed to plot these things all together for Perrin to take care of at once:

Shaido
Masema
"Maighdin"
Working with the Corenne as a partner/ally instead of as a subject nation

DIRECTLY following which he:

Resolves his wolfbrother issues
Forges his hammer
Takes over the Children of the Light