Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

ikanreed posted:

I wonder what the percentage is if you include their father's friends' companies too.

Or if you don't needlessly restrict it to males born into privilege and look at the whole nobility

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Ooooo please let this become a thing of referring to lovely corporations as convicted felons, if they're people after all

This reminds me.

My wife works in a victim advocacy agency and she recently explained to me how corporations are trying to use victim rights laws because the corporations are "people". Guess what! They are getting away with it too.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ikanreed posted:

I wonder what the percentage is if you include their father's friends' companies too.

If you include friends/coworkers of parents, you'd probably hit like 90% even if you expanded it out to the top 10%.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

In the rush to harvest body parts, death investigations have been upended

quote:

The case is one of dozens of death investigations across the country, including more than two dozen in Los Angeles and San Diego counties, that The Times found were complicated or upended when transplantable body parts were taken before a coroner’s autopsy was performed.

In multiple cases, coroners have had to guess at the cause of death. Wrongful-death and medical malpractice lawsuits have been thwarted by early tissue harvesting. A death after a fight with police remains unsettled. The procurement process caused changes to bodies that medical examiners mistook as injuries or abuse. In at least one case, a murder charge was dropped.
To raise those numbers, California and other states over the last decade passed laws requiring coroners and medical examiners to “cooperate” with the companies to “maximize” the number of organs and tissues taken for transplant. Procurement companies’ lobbyists helped to write the legislation and push it into law.

In a handful of states the laws go even further, giving the companies the power to force coroners to delay autopsies until they have harvested the body parts.

Although the companies have emphasized organ transplants, in far more cases nationwide they harvested skin, bone, fat, ligaments and other tissues that are generally not used for life-threatening conditions. Those body parts fuel a booming industrial biotech market in which a half-teaspoon of ground-up human skin is priced at $434. That product is one of those used in cosmetic surgery to plump lips and posteriors, fill cellulite dimples and enhance penises. A single body can supply raw materials for products that sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars.
The county’s contract with OneLegacy does contain restrictions. Procurements from victims of suspected child abuse and officer-involved homicides must be approved by a senior morgue official.

Another notable contract exception: Donation is “generally unsuitable” in cases of media interest, including celebrity deaths.
In 2007, the year the laws passed in California and many other states, the procurement companies obtained just 2% of donors of bone, skin or other tissues through referrals by coroners and medical examiners, according to a survey by the American Assn. of Tissue Banks. Now, some companies report that a majority of their donors come from those being wheeled into the county morgue.

Mone, the CEO of OneLegacy, which operates in seven Southern California counties, said about 63% of organ donors and 51% of tissue donors came from the company’s partnerships with morgues in 2017.

“The law,” he said, “has been very beneficial.”
To increase the supply of harvested body parts, the companies have embedded procurement teams inside government morgues across the country.

Morgue officials at times give the corporate employees key cards so they can enter at any hour. The companies rent rooms inside the morgues, including suites where surgical teams harvest donors’ tissues.

In a growing number of counties nationwide, the companies can log into government computer files on the newly deceased, allowing them to swiftly find potential candidates for procurement.

In Michigan, a company called Gift of Life said donations of bone and other tissues soared after its foundation gave some coroner offices iPads loaded with special software to record details of a death at the scene, which are transmitted instantly to the company.

For several decades, federal rules have required hospitals to alert procurement companies when anyone dies inside their walls. With the new connections to government morgue computers, the companies also know immediately about deaths outside hospitals — and have contacted families when the body of a loved one is still at the scene, according to written complaints made to supervisors by morgue staff in Los Angeles and Tacoma, Wash.

“I was inside the residence performing my investigation and the family was standing by outside,” Kim Pavek, an L.A. County coroner investigator, wrote in an internal complaint about OneLegacy after a suicide in 2008. “The decedent’s mother asked me why someone from my office would call her cellphone during such a distraught time.... She explained to me that someone from OneLegacy said they were a representative from the coroner’s office inquiring about ‘donating parts.’ ”
Despite the limited review, The Times found more than two dozen cases in which the procurements made it harder to determine the cause of death. In many of those cases, coroners were unable to conclude either why or how the person died.

The cases included possible homicides, highway accidents, deaths after surgeries, a drug overdose, a suspected suicide and a death that followed a fight with a police officer. The deceased ranged from homeless people to members of wealthy families, although more were poor than rich. Most were middle-age or younger. One was a child.

In at least five cases, the documents show that companies harvested body parts without reporting what appeared to be a death from a crime, an accident or suicide to coroner officials. California law requires any person in charge of a body who has knowledge that the death may have been from unnatural causes to immediately alert the coroner.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

How do I cancel my organ donor status

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

looking forward to gettin merk'ed by the cops, getting my body ground into paste to make a rich dude's boner bigger, and then the coroner declaring undetermined cause of death

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Dumb Lowtax posted:

How do I cancel my organ donor status
you can re-apply for a ID and opt out. i might do that next time im at the dmv

*protoss-ishly* my life for profits

Dec 26, 2012

holy poo poo

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah but were the organs from the Falun Gong?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I've come up with a great idea and it's barely illegal. Priority Organ Harvesting. Companies can place policies on people and those people immediately get organ harvested before any autopsy. Very popular with the import/export companies.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

comedyblissoption posted:

looking forward to gettin merk'ed by the cops, getting my body ground into paste to make a rich dude's boner bigger, and then the coroner declaring undetermined cause of death

It's a mystery!

I like how even after those people died they weren't safe from the rapacious nature of capitalism.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

I'm reminded of that dude whose death was ruled "accidental" after his corpse was found beaten to a pulp and rolled up in a gym mat

his second, private autopsy discovered that his body cavity was stuffed with newspaper and most of his organs were missing

so yeah this poo poo has probably been going on for a while

quick, guess the race of the victim!

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I'm reminded of that dude whose death was ruled "accidental" after his corpse was found beaten to a pulp and rolled up in a gym mat

his second, private autopsy discovered that his body cavity was stuffed with newspaper and most of his organs were missing

*puts exuberant but ultimately disposable venture capital on "laplander"*

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

I honestly don't understand how this is allowed to happen though

shouldn't the first rule of any coroner's office be "private entities aren't allowed to rummage through fresh corpses as if this is a public junkyard"? It seems like an easy rule to enforce.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Rhesus Pieces posted:

shouldn't the first rule of any coroner's office be "private entities aren't allowed to rummage through fresh corpses as if this is a public junkyard"? It seems like an easy rule to enforce.

In a lot of areas county coroner's are elected

imagine how cheap it is to buy a candidate

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
i dont really understand the advantages of using ground human skin for plumping lips

it really does not seem like that would do anything and just necrotic tissue

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Xaris posted:

i dont really understand the advantages of using ground human skin for plumping lips

lmao you think being a organ donor will help people but in reality your ground up skin gets used to revive a boomer's shriveled penis.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Jesus gently caress, you're right! :gonk: Well, I guess this new exposé is about as close to closure as we're getting on that one.
Like, at least now I know WHY his organs were missing. I thought it was pure sadistic racism but it turns out it was profits combined with incurious racism.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Xaris posted:

the advantage is you can charge more for it

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

etalian posted:

lmao you think being a organ donor will help people but in reality your ground up skin gets used to revive a boomer's shriveled penis.

yeah I’m gunna remove my status. I don’t want boomers getting anything, if I could guarantee it’d only go to people aged 40 and younger and no corporate profits, that would be rad

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Assuming you're talking about Kendrick Johnson, this happened at my old high school while one of my siblings was still going there. I was literally arguing with my dad about it yesterday. Really sucks the fun out of going to visit when there's a 50/50 chance that I'll have that same old argument.

That's Valdosta though, one of the fastest shrinking metro areas in the US of A!

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Rhesus Pieces posted:

the article says the body harvesting companies are literally writing laws coercing coroner's offices to let them get first digs

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Xaris posted:

*protoss-ishly* my death for profits

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Just use the everliving poo poo out of your body and leave a shambled corpse some pack of eagle scouts can find in the woods months after you die.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

*cinematic logistics montage of child dead from opioid overdose, grieving family agreeing to organ donation because at least it will save some other child, body harvesters throwing away the useless internal organs b/c they were liquefied from kidney failure and prolonged life support, ripped off skin being grounded up, middlemen haggling over price and profit margins and then hand-shaking, then finally skin paste being injected into the now fatter rear end of a sackler family socialite*

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Xaris posted:

The tissue is full of durable cells and proteins that can be extracted pretty easily with the right equipment. These wont get degraded in the timescales they are harvesting the bodies.

The advantage is probably that it is immuno compatible and its source coupled with its cosmetic use lets one skip a shitload of expensive and restrictive medical/GMO/FDA approval processes and licences.

I assume all this because i can grow all these tissues and proteins at work and could easily make them cost competetive for those prices.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

lol

https://mobile.twitter.com/profgalloway/status/1183207739675291654

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xaris posted:

yeah I’m gunna remove my status. I don’t want boomers getting anything, if I could guarantee it’d only go to people aged 40 and younger and no corporate profits, that would be rad

clearly we should start organ donor coops/organ unions

people within the organ union are automatically the first for any of the organs of others within it, if any organs would go to waste for having no appropriate receiver they're sold outside under the condition 100% of the profit goes to funding the transplant surgeries for people within the pool

rich people automatically ineligible for participation within

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
is there a way to ensure your donated organs are allocated based on need and only for life saving/restorative procedures (like eye transplants)?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

is there a way to ensure your donated organs are allocated based on need and only for life saving/restorative procedures (like eye transplants)?
Yes. Be the offspring of a high-powered malpractice lawyer and a renowned surgeon.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lmao at at how the power of social media ads were just a bait and switch to make Zuck piles of money

quote:

On Friday, several advertising agencies revealed the details of a proposed settlement with Facebook that would end a class action alleging the social media giant overstated the average time its users spent watching video.

According to a brief in support of the settlement, Facebook would pay $40 million to resolve claims. Much of that would go to those who purchased ad time in videos, though $12 million — or 30 percent of the settlement fund — is earmarked for plaintiffs' attorneys.

The suit accused Facebook of acknowledging miscalculations in metrics upon press reports, but still not taking responsibility for the breadth of the problem. "The average viewership metrics were not inflated by only 60%-80%; they were inflated by some 150 to 900%," stated an amended complaint.

Faced with claims of violating unfair competition law, breaching contract and committing fraud, Facebook contested advertisers' injuries, questioning whether they really relied on these metrics in deciding to purchase ad time. In early rounds in the litigation, Facebook was successful in getting the judge to pare the claims, though until a settlement was announced, several of the claims including fraud were still live. Even after agreeing to pay $40 million for settlement, Facebook maintains the suit is "without merit."

The plaintiffs estimate that had they gone to trial, they may have recovered between $100 to $200 million in damages, though they also stress to U.S. District Court Judge Jeffrey White the uncertainty of this result as well as the expensive process. The judge will decide on approval after examining the fairness of the pact.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

it's cool how the entire internet runs on advertising revenue for ads that everyone ignores or blocks, and all of the big ad tech companies seems to be lying about their engagement numbers, lol

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lmao that is an absolutely piddly amount of money

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol remember how fuckerberg gave a cushy PR job to chuck schumer's daughter or niece or whatever and bought himself total legal immunity

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

punished milkman posted:

it's cool how the entire internet runs on advertising revenue for ads that everyone ignores or blocks, and all of the big ad tech companies seems to be lying about their engagement numbers, lol
the system is a house of cards that no one wants to breathe on because it's a top to the bottom big grift that rewards everyone in the chain. the chief marketing officer n departments at proctor & gamble/johnson&johnson/pfiezer/ford/gm/whatever want to justify their lucrative jobs and say 'hey we're spending $69 billions on ads and look how much engagement we have!"; the 3rd party ad agencies creating ads and running social media campaigns love the business; and the ad-space providers like facebook n google love it even more and will totally say yes you've got a bazillion clicks and engagement is driven through the roof buy more premium space!

but hey you got to pretend to CYA and wipe the egg for your face when it slips to the media that it's all bullshit. a simple low-reward lawsuit will make all parties perfectly happy which makes sure the house remains standing while just enough to wipe off a bit of the egg

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Teal posted:

clearly we should start organ donor coops/organ unions

people within the organ union are automatically the first for any of the organs of others within it, if any organs would go to waste for having no appropriate receiver they're sold outside under the condition 100% of the profit goes to funding the transplant surgeries for people within the pool

rich people automatically ineligible for participation within

this would unironically be cool and good and if we can do that, that would own. can you stipulate it in a will or something or is it too late by then?

white people are the overwhelmingly insanely large % of organ donor recipients, and minorities are the largest organ donors, and in particularly, white boomers recieve almost all of them. it's anti-praxis to extend the life of white boomers

Xaris fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 13, 2019

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

take my whole body and grind it to paste, idgaf. I’d rather there be a 1% chance of my liver saving a life than letting it rot in a box.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
ad impression metrics are all made up garbage and every internet janitor knows it. A significant amount of people installing ad blockers that engaged with every ad like Ad Nauseam would break the entire profit model of the internet.

The proper fine for what fb did with ad metrics is in the many billions and a lot of the decisionmakers should be in jail.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

The proper fine for what fb did with ad metrics is in the many billions and a lot of the decisionmakers should be in jail.

the problem is, everyone knew and knows what FB does with ad metrics is wrong, they all knew video ads were garbage. There was no real deception because everyone knew it--they just don't care. You know drat loving well that the marketing headhonchos at Pfiezer paying millions for video ads all knew they were getting inflated poo poo, but it's also good on their record as well. Its a lavish job at all levels.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

FCKGW posted:

take my whole body and grind it to paste, idgaf. I’d rather there be a 1% chance of my liver saving a life than letting it rot in a box.

but what if it means a killer cop (so, a cop lol) escapes investigations because the victims are getting sliced up for profit??

:negative: