Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I like Mr Inbetween because it doesn't try to be anything other than a good TV show. The main character, Ray, doesn't give a gently caress about your feelings or if you like him, he's never going to change to make the viewer like him, it doesn't try to be the most dramatic TV show you'll ever see, it doesn't have climatic music that nearly drowns out the dialogue, it's not trying to make a political statement, it's just a story of a guy. The show is violent but doesn't linger on it, nor does it beat you over the head about how violence is wrong, rather it shows how Ray's violent lifestyle affects those he loves in subtle and ever worsening ways. Ray is a bad guy and the chances of a happy ending are slim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

wormil posted:

I like Mr Inbetween because it doesn't try to be anything other than a good TV show. The main character, Ray, doesn't give a gently caress about your feelings or if you like him, he's never going to change to make the viewer like him, it doesn't try to be the most dramatic TV show you'll ever see, it doesn't have climatic music that nearly drowns out the dialogue, it's not trying to make a political statement, it's just a story of a guy. The show is violent but doesn't linger on it, nor does it beat you over the head about how violence is wrong, rather it shows how Ray's violent lifestyle affects those he loves in subtle and ever worsening ways. Ray is a bad guy and the chances of a happy ending are slim.

Even though it's pretty locked in to like 10 characters, it might be the most authentic Australian show in many ways. There are lots of people like that, most of the time they are exaggerated or it's young aussies that have a bit more pep in their step.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Rocksicles posted:

Even though it's pretty locked in to like 10 characters, it might be the most authentic Australian show in many ways. There are lots of people like that, most of the time they are exaggerated or it's young aussies that have a bit more pep in their step.

I don't have a lot of experience with Australian stuff but the closest I've seen to Mr Inbetween were Chopper and Rake. Chopper was an rear end in a top hat with charisma. Rake -- it seemed they were going for lovable rogue but to me he was a sociopath that used and abused everyone around him. Ray has no charisma but is respectful, works hard, loyal, but doesn't feel remorse; also, Ray doesn't answer questions.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

wormil posted:

I don't have a lot of experience with Australian stuff but the closest I've seen to Mr Inbetween were Chopper and Rake. Chopper was an rear end in a top hat with charisma. Rake -- it seemed they were going for lovable rogue but to me he was a sociopath that used and abused everyone around him. Ray has no charisma but is respectful, works hard, loyal, but doesn't feel remorse; also, Ray doesn't answer questions.

I mean from the laconic old school Aussie dude perspective, kinda like country folk, say very little but use actions to show who there are. They are literally a dying breed here. We have mens sheds here in country areas where men get together and build stuff and chat poo poo, have some comradery. It's been an issue for a number of years where people like that have been killing themselves for various reasons, they aren't brought up to talk out their issues.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I keep typing replies but they are either too short to make sense or too long so I'm just going to say I understand what you mean.

dudemanbudguy
Jan 2, 2008
guybudmandude
I've been watching Fleabag. I'm about to watch the fourth episode of the first season. It isn't catching me which is frustrating given the acclaim. It can be kind of funny, but the characters aren't really likeable or that interesting to me. What am I missing? Does the show pick up?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Season 1 ends with a gut punch. It's a short season so might as well finish it.

Also I found out the original Fleabag is a theater monologue thing and Phoebe Waller Bridge recorded a show for viewing. But I think it's for BBC viewers only.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

wormil posted:

I always kind of figured that Rake was demonstrating that that's what a "lovable rogue" type often is. Although I did love that John Waters cameo, because he played a very very different role from the last one I'd seen...

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

dudemanbudguy posted:

I've been watching Fleabag. I'm about to watch the fourth episode of the first season. It isn't catching me which is frustrating given the acclaim. It can be kind of funny, but the characters aren't really likeable or that interesting to me. What am I missing? Does the show pick up?

I'm not sure it 'picks up'. It is a character driven show that revolves around showcasing wit and frailty. The plot is important but not overly complicated or imaginative. It is basically a serialised play: it is not going to get 'into gear' or something. I would advise watching all of it but if the characters are not interesting to you now, I am not sure whether that will change.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Rocksicles posted:

I'm enjoying the hell out of Raising Dion

I sat through this and found it to be badly written to the point of becoming too frustrating to binge. It doesn't work as a family drama or a superhero story, the characters are just a bunch of stereotypes being pushed around by a rambling plot with lame, predictable 'twists'. I kept watching, hoping it would somehow transform into something half way decent, but it's like Netflix hates superhero shows and doesn't want to pay a single good writer to work on them.

I enjoyed Carnival Row, on the other hand, though I do feel the noir tropes clash with the epic scale of the setting, making it a little too slow at times, and the exposition and foreshadowing a bit hamfisted. Still, the huge production values and Bloom and Delevingne made it a fun watch.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Meatgrinder posted:

I sat through this and found it to be badly written to the point of becoming too frustrating to binge. It doesn't work as a family drama or a superhero story, the characters are just a bunch of stereotypes being pushed around by a rambling plot with lame, predictable 'twists'. I kept watching, hoping it would somehow transform into something half way decent, but it's like Netflix hates superhero shows and doesn't want to pay a single good writer to work on them.

I enjoyed Carnival Row, on the other hand, though I do feel the noir tropes clash with the epic scale of the setting, making it a little too slow at times, and the exposition and foreshadowing a bit hamfisted. Still, the huge production values and Bloom and Delevingne made it a fun watch.

If i can go back to Arrow and Flash year after year, Raising Dion is like basically Emmy grade.

I agree about Carnival Row, i would follow Cara Deleevigne down just about any rabbit hole though

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

just finished marco polo and gently caress netflix for cancelling on that cliffhanger

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Google Butt posted:

just finished marco polo and gently caress netflix for cancelling on that cliffhanger

Good news, soon enough you’ll have completely forgotten about Marco Polo just like everyone else.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

beanieson posted:

Good news, soon enough you’ll have completely forgotten about Marco Polo just like everyone else.

the khan owned

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Letterkenny season 7 done and dusted, some gem quality stuff. Episode 5 and 6 are amazing.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Mu Zeta posted:

Season 1 ends with a gut punch. It's a short season so might as well finish it.

Also I found out the original Fleabag is a theater monologue thing and Phoebe Waller Bridge recorded a show for viewing. But I think it's for BBC viewers only.

Sort of - she put on a limited run of the one-woman show earlier this year and recordings are being distributed through the NTLive program, so you can see it at certain cinemas. I went and enjoyed it - it’s also interesting to see the parts which were brought back years later for the show.

Tickets are still pretty hard to come by, but if you’re flexible on cinema it’s possible. National Theatre Live.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
Binged S1-S4 of Peaky Blinders. Enjoyed it, although I didn't care much for S4, after a pretty strong first episode. About to start season 5, hopefully it's better and finds an interesting direction.

My wife's watching Vis a Vis and seems pretty impressed so far. Might try and catch up to her and watch together.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Mr. Pickles. Happened upon it a week ago. Absolutely outrageous but so hilarious. Just a great concept and a super well written show. Satanic collie living with typical sitcom family and only the grandpa knows that the dog is evil.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Mr. Pickles. Happened upon it a week ago. Absolutely outrageous but so hilarious. Just a great concept and a super well written show. Satanic collie living with typical sitcom family and only the grandpa knows that the dog is evil.

That sounds like a made up show but nope. Real.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I really have no idea how anyone could think Mr. Pickles is funny. It's like Paradise PD levels of unfunny to me. Different strokes and all that though.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Some of Mr. Pickles' punishments for bad guys are kinda creative. They're also incredibly gross.

Everything about that show exists to be as gross as possible, right down to the art.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
Just finished Undone. I liked it! Didn't overstay it's welcome with a short tidy story. Rosa Salazaar can do no wrong. Even though I still haven't seen her in a live action role. And Bob Odenkirk was really good too.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Watched Jack Ryan and really enjoyed it. I understand it has some legit issues in common with cop shows, where the writers dumb down the police to make the criminals seem more clever (here it's agents and terrorists), but it was fun and I'm looking forward to s2.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I blasted through the first season of Patriot. I should have watched this show a long time ago. It's absolutely hilarious and engaging.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Solice Kirsk posted:

I blasted through the first season of Patriot. I should have watched this show a long time ago. It's absolutely hilarious and engaging.

Yeah, is an amazing weird thing. I liked S1 better than S2, S2 seems a bit rushed to the ending. But still good

Too bad it got canned

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
youtube's Impulse season 2 starts tomorrow for anyone who watched the last season.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

RestingB1tchFace posted:

My head-canon is that Mr. Pickles is a spin-off of Super Jail.
:hmmyes:

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Rocksicles posted:

youtube's Impulse season 2 starts tomorrow for anyone who watched the last season.

Oh thanks, it's been a while since I watched season 1.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The character designs in Mr. Pickles gives me a stomach ache and I think it's because they remind me of Garbage Pail Kids cards, which always grossed me out as a child. It's strange because this is the only cartoon I've ever watched that has given me such a reaction, Superjail and lots of other gross stuff has never made me feel physically ill before.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I finally finished Utopia after a 5 year gap. I think I was just sad it got cancelled and sort of forgot to watch series 2 back in 2014...
God drat what an amazing show...and timely, Amazon just finished filming the American reboot in Sept for a more than likely 2020 release. Dennis Kelly really liked the scripts for it so maybe it won't be trash and also get pulled.

I hope they keep the names, Where is Jessica Hyde is kind of iconic

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yeah, Utopia is awesome. Great story, great characters, funny, visually stunning

One of my favorite british TV shows

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I hope they keep the school shooting scene

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Elias_Maluco posted:

Yeah, Utopia is awesome. Great story, great characters, funny, visually stunning

One of my favorite british TV shows

It reminds me a ton of misfits (aside from sharing a cast member), another show I could have kept watching for infinite seasons.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

zer0spunk posted:

It reminds me a ton of misfits (aside from sharing a cast member), another show I could have kept watching for infinite seasons.

Yeah, but more serious. Utopia is funny sometimes but also has a pretty serious scifi plot and some heavy scenes

Misfits is absurd and dumb and dont give a gently caress (I love it too)

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Just binged through all of Barry, which is amazing and a refreshing contrast to a lot of antihero shows, because it lets you genuinely empathize with the character without minimizing the horrible things he does. Also it's hilarious, yet Bill Hader is a shockingly good dramatic actor in it. If you still look at him and just think of SNL then Barry will blow your mind.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

showbiz_liz posted:

Just binged through all of Barry, which is amazing and a refreshing contrast to a lot of antihero shows, because it lets you genuinely empathize with the character without minimizing the horrible things he does. Also it's hilarious, yet Bill Hader is a shockingly good dramatic actor in it. If you still look at him and just think of SNL then Barry will blow your mind.

Comedic actors often excell at drama. Something about having a great sense of timing.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
I just started some German show called Dark, finished the first episode, and I have no idea what is happening or who anyone is.

is there a spoiler-free cheat sheet of the family trees of this show because I can already tell I'm gonna need it, nevermind trying to figure out the mystery.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I've just watched the Paul Rudd vehicle Living With Yourself starring Paul Rudd and Paul Rudd. I like Paul Rudd and don't subscribe to the common view that he should go gently caress himself, but I feel the ending would have been so much better if he did actually go and gently caress himself.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tortuga posted:

I've just watched the Paul Rudd vehicle Living With Yourself starring Paul Rudd and Paul Rudd. I like Paul Rudd and don't subscribe to the common view that he should go gently caress himself, but I feel the ending would have been so much better if he did actually go and gently caress himself.

You should watch his Hot Ones episode, he's amazing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWVHses2GCY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
Wife and I have been binging The Politician on Netflix.

I'm getting a second-hand political exposure from friends and acquaintances so the series speaks to me. It's wild. Sometimes uneven, but the production value is very high and the cast hams it up to 11.