Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
https://twitter.com/kvanaren/status/1183566147993702400?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
welp guess I wasn't thinking big enough. Great episode though.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

The smile from Logan at the end was great. The hosed up thing is that I don't think Ken did it out of anger or betrayal. He is still trying to get the love and respect from his dad he so desperately wants and realized that doing this would actually get it.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

I feel like Kendall would have actually gone through with it if not for the no real person involved at the end. Also good on Greg for surviving the game.

Hot drat this is a good series.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I love that Ken being low key buds with Greg earlier in the season paid off. I wonder when Greg told him about the documents he saved.

That move also fulfilled several plot threads:
-Logan knew it needed to be him
-Ken earns his hostile takeover victory
-Ken finally earns Logan's respect
-Greg gets to clear his conscience
-Shiv gets her "not Tom"
-Roman gets a cushy new position that he might actually take seriously

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fat and Useless posted:

I feel like Kendall would have actually gone through with it if not for the no real person involved at the end. Also good on Greg for surviving the game.

Hot drat this is a good series.

Yeah, both this and the not a killer thing had to be the final straws for Ken. That was an insanely good finale, drat. This might have been the best show of the year.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I admit I still don’t quite see how the rap makes sense with Kendall’s arc this season but it was such a fantastic moment I don’t really care

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Doctor Jeep posted:

tom's "I wonder if the sad I get from being without you would be less than the sad i get from being with you" is the best part of the episode
same

This was imo logans plan (throwing away kendall to save tom makes no sense otherwise). Wonder if he was such a dick about the pierce girl just to rile kendall up (saying rpi for sure was)

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I’m glad it was Greg that handed off the football Kendall used for the touchdown.

I’m also glad Tom finally stood up for himself with Shiv. I would have asked for a divorce the moment she sent me up the river and then claimed she was “defending” me. Good on Shiv though for doing the right thing and pleading with Logan to not destroy Tom. Big move since I’m sure she knew weakness like that would cost her the big job.

The scene with the chicken was great and I like how it mirrors Tom’s wine scene from the last season finale.

Also, I’m pretty convinced that if I ever had the opportunity to plan a threesome I would handle it with as much anxiety as Tom did and ultimately back out.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

After taking out Logan I hope Greg gets his inheritance back

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah, both this and the not a killer thing had to be the final straws for Ken. That was an insanely good finale, drat. This might have been the best show of the year.

Like I said above I don't think Ken's reaction to that was "ok well gently caress you" I think it was "ok I need to be a killer for you to finally love me so that's what I am going to do". I think it makes the character that much more tragic, that he was willing to utterly betray his father, and by extension his family, to get the love he so desperately seeks.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

No Wave posted:

After taking out Logan I hope Greg gets his inheritance back

I dunno, Ewan was not a big fan of Kendall's first power play

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

No Wave posted:

same

This was imo logans plan (throwing away kendall to save tom makes no sense otherwise). Wonder if he was such a dick about the pierce girl just to rile kendall up (saying rpi for sure was)

it's throwing away hosed up mentally fragile junkie kendall to have shiv on his side (cause she wants tom to stay)

on the other hand, there's a theory where logan did it on purpose to spur kendall into action but that just sounds too puppetmaster-y to me, and a very VERY unstable tactic
I mean, look at the scene where roman talks about how flaky the deal with the azerbaijani (?) guy is and logan decides to pull the plug, I don't think he'd count that much on manipulating kendall into such a precise position where he's angry enough to be the "killer" but not angry enough to melt down into drug binges and embarassing tabloid poo poo

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

oh, and connor's "old richelieu, skulking in the background, pulling the strings" hahahaha his self delusion always gets me

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Float me a cool 100 mill, dad

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Weaponized Cum posted:

Float me a cool 100 mill, dad

the little "pssh" when gerri fucks up and says "first b- uh, second born son" talking about kendall

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

GREG THE EGG, future CEO?

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

they should've had a final, mid credit scene of Greg the Egg staring at a board, and as the camera pulls back it reveals pictures of the family, with a big X over Logan's face and a circle around Kendall, as he slowly nods.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I think the ending smile was deliberately enigmatic. Could have been he was hoping to awaken the killer in Kendall after all and was hoping for this end result, could have just been pride, could have been something else entirely. It doesn't seem like it was totally unexpected or perhaps even unwanted because Logan tends to blow up when negative surprises show up on his doorstep.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

I don't think Logan wanted this to happen and I took the smile like "the balls on this loving kid" before he explodes into rage.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Doctor Jeep posted:

it's throwing away hosed up mentally fragile junkie kendall to have shiv on his side (cause she wants tom to stay)

on the other hand, there's a theory where logan did it on purpose to spur kendall into action but that just sounds too puppetmaster-y to me, and a very VERY unstable tactic
I mean, look at the scene where roman talks about how flaky the deal with the azerbaijani (?) guy is and logan decides to pull the plug, I don't think he'd count that much on manipulating kendall into such a precise position where he's angry enough to be the "killer" but not angry enough to melt down into drug binges and embarassing tabloid poo poo
Logan knew that he himself was the natural choice, the investors said it had to be logan, and he put Kendall in a perfect position.

Logan wouldnt put his favorite child in jail (truthfully he wouldnt put any of his kids in jail).

It's a bit puppetmastery I guess but Logan is the very very obvious choice to go down for every reason. Being actually guilty helps too.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

No Wave posted:

Logan knew that he himself was the natural choice, the investors said it had to be logan, and he put Kendall in a perfect position.

Logan wouldnt put his favorite child in jail (truthfully he wouldnt put any of his kids in jail).

It's a bit puppetmastery I guess but Logan is the very very obvious choice to go down for every reason. Being actually guilty helps too.

I just don't see logan as being so not-selfish to think up and implement a plan that ends up with him deposed and maligned (especially the latter)
he probably loves his kids in his own hosed up way but not that much

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

also does anyone know what that brown beverage everyone was drinking at the big meet was? It looked kind of like greek iced coffee (it looked delicious)

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.
If Logan wanted to take the fall, there are better ways to go about that than having your son publish incriminating documents on live TV. He would have come up with a minimally impactful confession and had it choreographed with his family and PR team. As it stands now he's knee deep in poo poo and could end up in jail.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Seph posted:

If Logan wanted to take the fall, there are better ways to go about that than having your son publish incriminating documents on live TV. He would have come up with a minimally impactful confession and had it choreographed with his family and PR team. As it stands now he's knee deep in poo poo and could end up in jail.

It’s all good. Connor is gonna be president and pardon him anyway.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Logan didn't know Greg saved documents but he expected Kendall to do something. Imo. Logan knew he was the right guy to fall and I think he does actually feel some guilt about what he did w/r/t the cruises. only a little tho, and only because he was forced to think about it.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Seph posted:

Maybe, but not necessarily. Logan doing it as you describe would probably get a lot of pushback about how it's basically retirement which he was planning to do relatively soon and his health is bad anyway so it doesn't mean much. Ken gave the public/congress/shareholders some serious red meat that will more than satisfy them.

I don't actually think he did it on purpose but if he did that would be the reasoning I think.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
This Brian Cox interview is illuminating w/r/t the finale.
https://www.vulture.com/2019/10/succession-season-2-finale-brian-cox.html

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Well at least brian cox agrees it was logan's plan. Remember the gunshot how Logan's first reaction is "is Kendall ok?" And quietly taking care of the stolen batteries? He would never put him in jail. He loves his son and he puts him through hell because he thinks he's helping him.

PopetasticPerson
Jun 18, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

I love that Ken being low key buds with Greg earlier in the season paid off. I wonder when Greg told him about the documents he saved.

Greg did tell him, he tried to low-key nice guy blackmail him at Shiv's wedding.

Anyone else notice that Shiv was trying to suppress a smile when Tom was trying to tell her how he feels? She knows exactly what she's doing to him and likes it. I think that's the reason she went to bat for him, so she could keep her little plaything. Poor Tom. Also, she definitely could have talked him into the threesome if she offered a little snowballing.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

No Wave posted:

the whole point of the show is that its a farce, logan doesn't want ANYONE to succeed him

Its a perfect portrait of a "malignant" force posing as a patriarch

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

No Wave posted:

Well at least brian cox agrees it was logan's plan. Remember the gunshot how Logan's first reaction is "is Kendall ok?" And quietly taking care of the stolen batteries? He would never put him in jail. He loves his son and he puts him through hell because he thinks he's helping him.

I think we've been watching different shows

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Loved Roman calling out the fool's gold deal and how Logan accepted it without question.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

the funny voices when roman suggested they actually act like a family (and all the little exchanges between roman and kendall). connor as cardinal richelieu. kendall finally pulling a move that earns his dad's respect. good finale, good show, looking forward to seeing where it goes next. thank you for the chicken.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

I loving KNEW that connor was the shadowy malignant influencer behind everything this whole time

Thank you, finale, for finally proving me right to everyone who I have tried explaining this theory to for 2 full seasons

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Shageletic posted:

I think we've been watching different shows

Yeah, I think people don’t realise that this show is supposed to be a condemnation of these people, and Logan most of all. They actually went out of their way to point out that Logan is arguably worse than Hitler just a few episodes ago. When his son was faced with extreme emotional trauma he took advantage of the situation to bend him to his will and become his lapdog, almost destroying him. In the finale Logan smiles because his son managed to force a smidgen of grudging respect from him. He’s still going to do whatever he can to annihilate Kendal next season.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/netw3rk/status/1183985197458440194?s=21

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
I'm rewatching season one and just got to the finale. Something that sticks out to me is that Greg was getting high with the waiter Kendal kills the night before the wedding. Then the next morning, the waiter and Greg are driving back to the castle when Greg sees Tom jogging and gets out of the car one the side of the road to tell Tom about Shiv's afair. So my question is: did Greg and the dead waiter spend the night together?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

clown shoes posted:

I'm rewatching season one and just got to the finale. Something that sticks out to me is that Greg was getting high with the waiter Kendal kills the night before the wedding. Then the next morning, the waiter and Greg are driving back to the castle when Greg sees Tom jogging and gets out of the car one the side of the road to tell Tom about Shiv's afair. So my question is: did Greg and the dead waiter spend the night together?
I think they did, probably non-sexually. I mean sure greg could go both ways I guess (the only thing I remember about his preferences is he was dumbstruck when he met Willa) but I thought they were just hanging out because Greg felt more in common with him than the family at that point in the story.