Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Put in an LV3 4.3 V6 from a 14+ GM 1500 truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Congrats on the sex :hf:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You Am I posted:

That was an awesome Bathurst 1000

Agreed, I started watching just past halfway. I was drat glad they got that last wreck cleaned up soon enough to finish under green.

Penske is having one hell of a year.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

meltie posted:

Holy crap :stare: what's that in old money?
That would be roughly the equivalent of a 500W old school incandescent bulb.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Thanks guys.

Ether Frenzy posted:

That sucks man. :rip: What the hell was the idiot doing/driving that he was able to hit you hard enough from a standstill launch (was he behind you? I'm trying to picture this) and push you that far around?

I had right of way on a smallish (one lane each direction) road and he was coming off a side street. The garbage truck was coming the other way and had slowed to turn right onto the road the idiot was coming from. He nosed out a bit, then stopped, I assumed because he had seen me coming. Then as I was pretty much directly in front of him he floored it directly into my rear left wheel and then for some reason just kept it floored and shoving into me, kind of like a perpendicular pit maneuvre. The nose of my car went round, slammed into the rear quarter of the garbage truck, then tore free as the back continued to spin around and I went backwards off the road between the truck and the car behind it (who had sensibly slammed on the brakes). Neither impact was especially forceful, you can see on my rear quarter there's not that much damage from the initial hit as he was going maybe 5mph. I think most of the damage to the front was from my car getting tangled in all the steel poo poo that sticks out the back of garbage trucks, so when it tore free it just eviscerated it :( The airbags didn't even go off. Any number of things could have gone slightly differently and I'd be dealing with a couple of panels being replaced instead of a dead car.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

NitroSpazzz posted:

Please do, my lack of space and desire to stay married has stopped me from importing anything yet. Wife has mentioned a few times over the years she wants a little jimmy/sidekick/etc truck, since you're so close I might ping you once I make space to bring a Jimny or something over. Sorry the ex is making your vacation a lot less relaxing than it was supposed to be.

If you zero in on a model type you’re looking for I’d be happy to message you any good ones I see. I look at the auctions almost every day anyways. Just let me know! And I am definitely starting a thread if for no other reason I’ve got to get my files and pics organized for myself.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

STR posted:

No VDC on mine. I'm not entirely sure if it really has LSD on front and rear, or if it's just the center diff. A random VIN decoder claims I do have front and rear LSD, but it seems like that would have been an expensive option box to check on an otherwise base model.

I haven't tested the ABS, but the light comes on briefly at startup, so I assume it's working. The brakes feel like they could use bleeding, I'm gonna tackle that soon.

Discovered it has brake light fluid....when I got pulled over for a light out. :argh: it rained a lot today, right brake light and parking light were out. Pulled the bulb and found a very rusty socket and a shattered bulb (plus full of water). :sigh: new housing shouldn't be too bad at LKQ though. Discovered a gas station down the street sells 2 packs of 1157s for $1.29 though, which is a steal compared to Walmart or Autozone.

Friend gave me a new in box Accessport (early model, he got it years ago for his 04 WRX, but couldn't figure it out). I have no idea if it can even do anything for the EJ253, but I'm fully expecting a P0420 once I replace the oxygen sensor. I'm hoping I can turn off the catalyst monitor to get it inspected for now, if a spacer doesn't work on the rear sensor (yes, I will put a new cat on if that's the case, it's just not affordable right now). It will be pretty awesome if there's any maps available for it though. It's not Mercedes 240D slow, but it's not quick.

I may have to find a new wheel too, it feels like one is bent (how do you bend an alloy wheel?!). Hopefully it's just the "sneeze away from snapping" inner CV causing it or an unbalanced wheel. Only noticeable at highway speeds, while the inner CV makes itself known under light throttle at low speeds.

Where is the purge valve located? I have a few complete 02ish intakes from swaps and an entire 2003 parts car. I'm super slammed with work rn but if it's pretty easy to get to I'll send it to you for shipping cost. I got the front cats that were not setting a light on mine that I just took off last week and if I can get them separated from the y pipe with a useable flange, same deal. I have to get the TB tensioner done on mine today and I'll take a shot at getting the cats freed up if I have time after.

Welcome to the meat grinder. I loving love my $200 Outback so so much despite it's hunger for little annoying fixes constantly.

Oh yea pretty sure there was no front lsd on any NAs of that vintage and it probably does have rear lsd, mine does and it's not uncommon for Outbacks. Get both back wheels in the air and spin one, if the other spins in the opposite direction it's open, same direction or not at all it's lsd. Regular legacys got the base stuff. Center diff is electronic in the autos and adds torque as needed, works great. 5 speed has viscous center.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Deteriorata posted:

The FIAT 124 is the better version. Check it out.

Interestingly an ad for a 1975 FIAT 124 Coupe (not as good looking the earlier generations and as the cab, but I can't stand cabs anyway) just showed up for about $1800. MOTed and everything......

Edit: Parts seem super cheap as well, and it's got the biggest 118hp (lol) engine... maybe a good introduction to classic car ownership as well as RWD. That 4-cylinder little engine can sound properly mean as well...

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 13, 2019

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Fix it again, Tony.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Did anyone watch TLC's Taken At Birth 3 part special series? Of course you didn't. But I just saw a clip about it and I was engaged to the main chick in the show for a little bit about 15 years ago. She was shopping that story HARD and finally hit paydirt.

https://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/taken-at-birth/

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

You Am I posted:

If you were yawning during the "will they or wont they" with fuel then I don't know friend.

If I cared about that poo poo and near to the end safety cars for a 30 second sprint wank I'd watch NASCAR

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

Did anyone watch TLC's Taken At Birth 3 part special series? Of course you didn't. But I just saw a clip about it and I was engaged to the main chick in the show for a little bit about 15 years ago. She was shopping that story HARD and finally hit paydirt.

https://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/taken-at-birth/

This is uh...something else.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Serves me right for talking up our Outback. Wife said there was a clunk in the rear, and, yeah, there is. Not very loud, and not constant. I’m thinking a sway bar bracket or end link. Everything looked OK when I installed the new struts, but could have changed, or maybe I didn’t tighten something down adequately. I suppose it could be a CV joint/axle. Guess that’s what I’ll be doing on Monday , along with figuring out what to do about the Crown Vic’s nipple problem, and hopefully squeezing in some more rust repair on the RX-7 (bizarrely, my company takes Columbus Day off, and isn’t government or a bank.)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Just watched baby driver, you guys were right, it's great.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just yelled at my son for eating an entire bag of ghost pepper potato chips......He will destroy a bag of chips at will and eat numerous snack bars, candy and drink gallons of pop if I let him. Kids are junk food dumpsters, I need to just keep the poo poo out of the house or lock it all up :v:

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Just yelled at my son for eating an entire bag of ghost pepper potato chips......He will destroy a bag of chips at will and eat numerous snack bars, candy and drink gallons of pop if I let him. Kids are junk food dumpsters, I need to just keep the poo poo out of the house or lock it all up :v:

He ate a bag of ghost pepper chips. You only do that once before you learn. It's a self correcting problem.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

They weren't that hot tbh (Trader Joe's), maybe a bit hotter than jalapeno chips. He loves spicy food anyway, but we'll see how he feels about it tomorrow :v:

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

MrOnBicycle posted:

Interestingly an ad for a 1975 FIAT 124 Coupe (not as good looking the earlier generations and as the cab, but I can't stand cabs anyway) just showed up for about $1800. MOTed and everything......

Edit: Parts seem super cheap as well, and it's got the biggest 118hp (lol) engine... maybe a good introduction to classic car ownership as well as RWD. That 4-cylinder little engine can sound properly mean as well...

They're really good cars and basically a super affordable (and somewhat uglier) version of an Alfa Romeo GT Junior. If one was anywhere near me for $1800 in good enough condition to pass a Scandinavian MOT I'd snatch it up immediately

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

They weren't that hot tbh (Trader Joe's), maybe a bit hotter than jalapeno chips. He loves spicy food anyway, but we'll see how he feels about it tomorrow :v:

My 5yo won't eat spicy anything... Except chips. Leave some hot chili Takis in the lower cabinets and see what happens.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

My 1 year old stole some mie goreng off my plate and I was like ok let’s see what happens, maybe you’ll learn something

She learned she likes daddy’s spicy Indonesian food :3: I’m seriously looking forward to me and her eating Indian and all the other poo poo her mum doesn’t like with me

Foodie buddies are best buddies

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

shy boy from chess club posted:

Where is the purge valve located? I have a few complete 02ish intakes from swaps and an entire 2003 parts car. I'm super slammed with work rn but if it's pretty easy to get to I'll send it to you for shipping cost. I got the front cats that were not setting a light on mine that I just took off last week and if I can get them separated from the y pipe with a useable flange, same deal. I have to get the TB tensioner done on mine today and I'll take a shot at getting the cats freed up if I have time after.

Welcome to the meat grinder. I loving love my $200 Outback so so much despite it's hunger for little annoying fixes constantly.

Oh yea pretty sure there was no front lsd on any NAs of that vintage and it probably does have rear lsd, mine does and it's not uncommon for Outbacks. Get both back wheels in the air and spin one, if the other spins in the opposite direction it's open, same direction or not at all it's lsd. Regular legacys got the base stuff. Center diff is electronic in the autos and adds torque as needed, works great. 5 speed has viscous center.

The valve is on the passenger side of the intake, pretty close to center, it looks a bit annoying to get to with everything assembled. But I put gas in it earlier and it didn't flood, so it may not be bad after all (... but the gas tank overflowed, fuel dispenser never shut off... that's another story that's probably an issue with the gas station equipment). Also, they differ between the 2.5 and 3.0..

It completed the catalyst test fine today, and after over 100 miles of driving, hasn't set any pending or current codes, so I think I got lucky on the cat (... really lucky). It's down to one not ready (evap); we can have one incomplete monitor when smogging here, so first thing in the morning I'm smogging it before it has a chance to do the evap test.

It still has issues, the biggest is brakes (shaking when braking, and they're a bit spongy), followed by the RF axle (inner CV boot is ripped, and it shakes pretty good under light acceleration... smooths out under heavy throttle and while cruising - no noise yet). It was also pretty low on coolant, but both oil and coolant look like... oil and coolant. No milkshake, and when I was under it doing the O2 sensor, I didn't see anything leaking from the head gaskets (valve covers are definitely helping prevent rust, though). Beyond that, I just need to find rear headrests, replace the speakers, throw in my Kenwood, and throw in my sub. It came with the factory cargo cover :woop: so I won't worry about having an amp and sub back there. It's really not in bad shape aside from some bumps and scrapes, and I'm pretty sure once I fix the brakes and axle, and maybe line the rear bumper up again, I could (if I wanted to) sell it for more than I paid.

Everything on it seems to be working now; the passenger side seat heater is a question mark, since the switch doesn't light up, but GF said the seat did get warm (maybe placebo?). I really need to just sit in it and try it myself. The LR window is a bit sluggish though.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 14, 2019

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I ate like this as a teenager, probably ~3-4000 calories on an average day, some days were closer to 8000, I ate an entire extra large pizza, several candy bars, and a 2 liter of cola one time, another time I ate 6 double stacks and 4 chicken sandwiches from Wendy's, I couldn't put on enough weight, I was a lineman in football and I couldn't crack 200lbs, I lifted and/or ran several miles pretty much every day.

Then I graduated, got a job, stopped the constant workouts, didn't change my diet and put on 50lbs in a loving YEAR.

Which I am still trying to lose a decade later, lol.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Get some Paquis Haunted Ghost Pepper chips and see how many he eats :allears:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Elviscat posted:

I ate like this as a teenager, probably ~3-4000 calories on an average day, some days were closer to 8000, I ate an entire extra large pizza, several candy bars, and a 2 liter of cola one time, another time I ate 6 double stacks and 4 chicken sandwiches from Wendy's, I couldn't put on enough weight, I was a lineman in football and I couldn't crack 200lbs, I lifted and/or ran several miles pretty much every day.

Then I graduated, got a job, stopped the constant workouts, didn't change my diet and put on 50lbs in a loving YEAR.

Which I am still trying to lose a decade later, lol.

I never quite ate THAT much, but when I was a teen I could easily put away an entire large domino's pizza, chicken wings, and a double gulp in single sitting.
Now even eating half a pizza makes me feel overly full.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I started 2019 at 210lbs and then got a new job that doesn’t have free soda and snacks and I started eating more vegetarian food and less fried food because I have more trouble digesting fat than I used to

I’ve been 170 since July. It’s nice to be in the skinnier side again

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Congrats! I'm down a bit too (195 to 175), but not quite that drastic. I also have, uh... issues with greasy food. I'm not quite ready for my doctor to ram a camera up my rear end yet, so I've just been living with having to take a few shits after eating anything greasy.

mariooncrack posted:

Get some Paquis Haunted Ghost Pepper chips and see how many he eats :allears:

I ate about 1/4 of the bag when I got those before I stopped and said "WHAT HAVE I DONE?!".

We sell probably a couple of cases of them a week at work, which surprised me (note: Paquis cases are 5 or 6 bags.. it's a bottom shelf item for us too, so you don't see them unless you're looking for them).

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I don’t have a gall bladder so I’ve always assumed it was that, but I’m starting to suspect I have a pancreas problem

I’m just tired of oily shits that clobber me in the gut and force me to run a 5k to the nearest toilet when I eat anything greasier than grilled chicken or tofu

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
LoL, gross dude.

POOP CHAT.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Rhyno posted:

LoL, gross dude.

POOP CHAT.

But enough about ur poasts lmao gottem

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I can post about my poops if you want.

On topic, nobody remembers my fart post about gum and poo poo but I haven't had a piece of gum in like 6 weeks and my problems totally went away and am healthy butting now.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Rhyno posted:

I can post about my poops if you want.

On topic, nobody remembers my fart post about gum and poo poo but I haven't had a piece of gum in like 6 weeks and my problems totally went away and am healthy butting now.

Sugar alcohols are a turd. It's why too much sugar free candy is a recipe for a broken toilet.

My worst accidental rear end poisoning is still the first time I ate a whole quart of strawberry chobani yogurt in a sitting. The next two days were worse than when I slammed two bottles of magnesium citrate.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

STR posted:

It still has issues, the biggest is brakes (shaking when braking, and they're a bit spongy), followed by the RF axle (inner CV boot is ripped, and it shakes pretty good under light acceleration... smooths out under heavy throttle and while cruising - no noise yet). It was also pretty low on coolant, but both oil and coolant look like... oil and coolant. No milkshake, and when I was under it doing the O2 sensor, I didn't see anything leaking from the head gaskets (valve covers are definitely helping prevent rust, though). Beyond that, I just need to find rear headrests, replace the speakers, throw in my Kenwood, and throw in my sub. It came with the factory cargo cover :woop: so I won't worry about having an amp and sub back there. It's really not in bad shape aside from some bumps and scrapes, and I'm pretty sure once I fix the brakes and axle, and maybe line the rear bumper up again, I could (if I wanted to) sell it for more than I paid.

Everything on it seems to be working now; the passenger side seat heater is a question mark, since the switch doesn't light up, but GF said the seat did get warm (maybe placebo?). I really need to just sit in it and try it myself. The LR window is a bit sluggish though.

Mine shakes under heavy braking, but my wife says she never brakes hard enough for it to happen. Well, OK then. It honestly feels like a “warped rotor”. So may just need pads or rotors. All my power windows are sluggish, at least compared to the Kia or Crown Vic. May just need lube :quagmire: Drivers side front needs new tint. It still drives great though. The only thing that really annoys me is the soft rear springs. With 3 of us, it will bounce off the stops, with new springs and struts.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

STR I'm excited for the new chapter in your life wherein you learn everything there is to know about Hondas Saturns second gen outbacks.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Darchangel posted:

Mine shakes under heavy braking, but my wife says she never brakes hard enough for it to happen. Well, OK then. It honestly feels like a “warped rotor”. So may just need pads or rotors. All my power windows are sluggish, at least compared to the Kia or Crown Vic. May just need lube :quagmire: Drivers side front needs new tint. It still drives great though. The only thing that really annoys me is the soft rear springs. With 3 of us, it will bounce off the stops, with new springs and struts.

Light braking is what makes it really dance. Stand on them and it's not as violent, basically classic "warped rotor" poo poo. I've found the ABS is a little trigger happy, but only when I'm pretty much stopped and really on the brakes (it doesn't FEEL like they're about to lock, but the ABS says hello briefly). Pads and rotors are cheap enough that I don't mind throwing them at it; the pedal is kinda soft anyway, so the brakes need a bit of love.

I need new tint on all windows, to be honest. It's gone plaid a little purple with a couple of tiny bubbles, but I'm just glad it has tint in general. Somehow only the LR window is sluggish, the rest are all reasonably quick, but the LF leaves a little grease on the inside of the window. LF has the typical wind noise. RF will if I can't get GF to stop closing it by grabbing the top of the window... :fuckoff:

Rear suspension is definitely soft on mine too, but I haven't managed to whack the stops yet. Rear suspension is noisy and creaky as hell; some bushing replacements are definitely in order (it really sounds like someone's loving on a worn out bed anytime I hit a speed bump). But before I do any work like that, I need to figure out just how broken the rest of the car is. I don't mind it sounding like my own joints if the rest of the car is in similar shape; if the rest of it winds up being pretty sound, then I might tackle that. The body has fantastic paint, but it's far beyond PDR and well into "cut out a quarter panel and weld in a new one" territory, so the number of fucks that will be given about the body (beyond washing it occasionally) will be zero. At most I might try to replace the bumpers; the rear one is bulging on one side (it has a Camry dent on that corner), the front one has a chunk missing and a bent fog light bracket. It seems like almost every gen2 Outback wagon I've seen is the same color, so at least finding parts should be semi easy (only one DIY yard has one locally... same color, same year, LL Bean edition, but pretty well stripped except for the engine).

I think the hatch has been replaced. The paint matches, it lines up fine, but the hatch - and only the hatch - has hail damage, and a large chunk of paint missing on top with some pretty decent rust patina in that spot. Even the heat shield on the catalytic converter doesn't have that kind of patina, and this fucker spent time in Canada (it has absolutely no rust on the bottom aside from exhaust fasteners).

Does it become another Saturn #2 where I throw stupid amounts of money at a piece of poo poo, or is it actually a diamond in the rough? Right out of the gate, it has far less (obviously, anyway) wrong with it than Saturn #2 did, has only slightly more miles than #2 did when acquired, and is 3 years older. I did take a really big gamble with it having a CEL and all emissions monitors showing not ready (so they'd obviously tried clearing codes - I tried clearing them and the light came back within a minute), but after well over 100 miles, it's CEL free for the first time in who knows how long. Also that boxer exhaust sound is kinda sexy, even if it doesn't make whooshy noises. I guess there's some upsides even if it winds up being a pile: there's a handful of very knowledgeable Subie enthusiasts here, kastein is a walking service manual on EJ25 engine swaps done in hate and anger, and it sounds like Subaru Legos are every bit as addicting as Honda legos. And even if this one doesn't work out, it handles so well for such a heavy car that I'm pretty sure I'm hooked on the cult of Subaru.

The next major decision... do I go with a rooftop bike carrier (since it already has a rack), or trailer hitch bike carrier (it also has a hitch)? :v: I've been riding a lot. Not CT levels, but I'm having a lot of fun riding.

Previa_fun posted:

STR I'm excited for the new chapter in your life wherein you learn everything there is to know about Hondas Saturns second gen outbacks.

I already found a PDF of the FSM. :suicide:

e: drove by the dealer again today. they still haven't even tried to move the Saturn. It's sitting on the street with no plates.... maybe they're hoping the city will tow it. :v:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Oct 14, 2019

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

My worst accidental rear end poisoning is still the first time I ate a whole quart of strawberry chobani yogurt in a sitting. The next two days were worse than when I slammed two bottles of magnesium citrate.

I’m hellishly intolerant of mushrooms, which sucks because they’re in loving EVERYTHING nowdays... mum n dad are fine but my brother and I can’t eat em at all- he breaks out in hives and throws up. I liquify my entire GI tract and eject it out my arse. For 2-4 days straight. And it’s a legit “set the laptop up on a stool in the toilet to watch Plex” event cos I’m not leaving any time soon.

Last time I had a run in with them I lost 5kg in 4 days.

I can’t eat ramen or udon soups when I go out for Japanese, cos almost every one is either made with shiitake or with shiitake extract. It’s awful.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

I had some of [URL=Carolina Reaper Chilli Pork Scratchings - Super Hot Snack https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B010G6OIZK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_wXbPDbBJ0KQQC]these[/URL] during summer. Very warm but also have a great flavour so I'd absentmindedly find myself eating them and my stomach would start aching.

Pedestrian crossings in Rome are terrifying. From what I can tell cars only stop if you are on the crossing in front of them. They will not start to slow until you are in front of them so without hesitating you have to walk out into oncoming traffic, sometimes crossing 6 lanes at a time.

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

IOwnCalculus posted:

Penske is having one hell of a year.

We'll see how they travel after the fines/points loss that is potentially on the cards.

Anyway, have check this boner machine also from Australia:

Humphreys fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Oct 14, 2019

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Humphreys posted:

We'll see how they travel after the fines/points loss that is potentially on the cards.

Anyway, have check this boner machine also from Australia:

Rules

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Ferremit posted:

Made Babbish’s Chicken Tikka Masala tonight- did the chicken over charcoal on the smoker before tossing it into the sauce.

He’s right- making your own spice mix is leagues ahead of anything you get out of a jar

Ferremit posted:

I can’t eat ramen or udon soups when I go out for Japanese, cos almost every one is either made with shiitake or with shiitake extract. It’s awful.

Try his ramen episode! And then leave out the shiitake stuff! I've been meaning to do that for like two years now, or however long ago he released that episode, and now that I live close to a good butchers I can probably get some good pork bones for the broth. AND now I'm closer to the big Asian market. Closer to the city now, before I was in a smaller town/suburban area and was limited to the "Ethnic" aisle in the grocery store :rolleyes: Just need to get a pasta roller/cutter for my stand mixer
:20bux::20bux::20bux:

When I did his Tikka Massala I went out and got a coffee grinder specifically for spices, and a roasting tray which I hadn't had yet. It came out bland as hell :( If I do it again, I'll just have to pile on the spice mixture I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Making good ramen on your own is possible, but also a huge pain in the rear end. I've done it a few times then said gently caress that ever again :v: