Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Drewjitsu posted:

Unless, you are like me, a whale, who had the feel bads of scarcity tattoo'd onto his soul as a child playing mtg, and now has to have a complete collection of digital cards thanks to having disposable income.

:shepspends:

(don't do what I do)

Don't do what, make enough money to be able to spend it frivolously?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beedub
Jul 21, 2003

I just lost a game against Esper Dance and I'm trying to learn the game and see if I threw. They were at 4, with 2x Doom Foretold in play, I had a Skarrgan Hellkite out and the shock Giant dude in my hand. I had enough mana to play the shock instant and also activate the hellkite to kill them. However I only got one onto the stack when we moved to my upkeep before their Doom Foretold triggers went through, my poo poo got sacced and they healed out of range.

Did I need to put a stop or full control? Or what I wanted to do was impossible.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

You needed to full control to respond to your own ability because the game is rather stupid.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Funkdreamer posted:

Not that I'm not enjoying milling people out in draft (because I am), but how often do they update the draft bots on MTGA?

i'm not sure if there's a hard schedule, but they've already updated once on oct 10th

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

beedub posted:

I just lost a game against Esper Dance and I'm trying to learn the game and see if I threw. They were at 4, with 2x Doom Foretold in play, I had a Skarrgan Hellkite out and the shock Giant dude in my hand. I had enough mana to play the shock instant and also activate the hellkite to kill them. However I only got one onto the stack when we moved to my upkeep before their Doom Foretold triggers went through, my poo poo got sacced and they healed out of range.

Did I need to put a stop or full control? Or what I wanted to do was impossible.

it shouldn't autopass if you still have spells to cast or abilities to activate. was there something you missed, like a teferi in play or not enough red sources?

beedub
Jul 21, 2003

little munchkin posted:

it shouldn't autopass if you still have spells to cast or abilities to activate. was there something you missed, like a teferi in play or not enough red sources?

I don’t recall anything, so I guess I’ll never know now, but I should probably get in the habit of jamming full control for any upkeep shenanigans anyway?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

beedub posted:

I don’t recall anything, so I guess I’ll never know now, but I should probably get in the habit of jamming full control for any upkeep shenanigans anyway?

there is a 99% chance you misclicked or missed something about the game state (i've played a ton of online ccgs and this has happened to me a bunch), your mental energy is better spent focusing on playing tightly

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Drewjitsu posted:

Unless, you are like me, a whale, who had the feel bads of scarcity tattoo'd onto his soul as a child playing mtg, and now has to have a complete collection of digital cards thanks to having disposable income.

:shepspends:

(don't do what I do)

'sup soulmate

The Sean fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 14, 2019

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I'm not sure how it works with sacrifcing things but can't you only respond to at start of upkeep effects? So if there's not two things to sacrifice then the discard/lifegain effect is already active before you can do anything.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It should be, untap, upkeep begins with both triggers going on the stack, with time to respond to both.

It is potentially some sort of bug but I've seen it blow through abilities when not using full control. And yeah you're right, it's on the stack, that can't be gotten around but technically shouldn't be relevant.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Opponent having Teferi seems like a strong possibility. Upkeep, pauses to let you respond to the trigger, you activate Hellkite, then it resolves everything because you're not allowed to cast the Stomp and don't have enough mana to Hellkite again.

beedub
Jul 21, 2003

Yeah I mean I’m not calling it a bug, more learning if the rules allow you to do that and respond twice and maybe what I fat fingered wrong

Could be 3feri got me, yet again...

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Spiderdrake posted:

It should be, untap, upkeep begins with both triggers going on the stack, with time to respond to both.

It is potentially some sort of bug but I've seen it blow through abilities when not using full control. And yeah you're right, it's on the stack, that can't be gotten around but technically shouldn't be relevant.

this is the same game that blows through your endstep after Wilderness Reclamation resolves if you don't set a stop in time

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Did they ever do anything about Legion Warboss

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

Don't do what, make enough money to be able to spend it frivolously?

It was more 'don't whale out on games where you don't end up owning the things your purchasing', but I suppose that's every game nowadays.

In other news, the Gruul aggro deck fucks, and embercleave (along with questing beast) is a really good card. Questing beast is a no brainer, but embercleave really isn't as clunky as it looks, and it usually wraps the game up when it hits the table, either by killing the opponent outright, or turning a good block into a hilariously bad block + extra damage.

Deck list here: https://twitter.com/jakob8b/status/1183427139242287111?s=09

[quote="The Sean" post="499113245"]
'sup soulmate
[/quote

:shepspends::hf::smith:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
i know they moved on from Duels of the Planeswalkers style game games to Duels and then Arena because people prefer just having full digital versions of current Magic to play with real people but after playing some Yu-Gi-Oh! Legacy of the Duelist Link Evolution I could really go a Magic version of that to just kinda gently caress around against AI challengers when i don't feel like really committing to a real time game against an actual person or when i'm away from the internet or whatever. i know AI is never really the same as playing with other people but sometimes it's nice to just kinda chill out and mess around, especially if it does the thing YGOLotD does where it's like "gently caress it, ALL THE CARDS" and has themed challengers from each "era" of the game

i already have DOTP '12 and '13 installed on my computer, i should probably just play those when i have that kind of itch

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’ve specifically had Doom Foretold blast through removal/combat tricks that I had on upkeeps so it might just be the way that particular card is coded.

drewmoney
Mar 11, 2004

Got my 2nd game in the mogul.gg championship tonight and going to take this version of Gruul. Expecting to play Golos Field, just like in game 1. What do you side in versus Golos Field?

drewmoney
Mar 11, 2004

drewmoney posted:

Got my 2nd game in the mogul.gg championship tonight and going to take this version of Gruul. Expecting to play Golos Field, just like in game 1. What do you side in versus Golos Field?

Never mind, I went 1-2 vs an Oko ramp deck. :(

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I just opened my third Happily Ever After. I think Arena is telling me to make a gimmick deck.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

This deck was disgusting.
I felt sorry for the guy piloting a u/r 'card draw matters' deck who copped the t3 lucky clover + merfolk t4 merfolk merfolk for a 24 mill :(

Edit: Jesus gently caress that image is large. Sorry, but I couldn't be hosed fixing it. Hell it represents the large need for human drafts.

Extra edit: Easiest and quickest 7-0 I've ever had.

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Oct 14, 2019

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Chadzok posted:

I felt sorry for the guy piloting a u/r 'card draw matters' deck who copped the t3 lucky clover + merfolk t4 merfolk merfolk for a 24 mill :(

Edit: Jesus gently caress that image is large. Sorry, but I couldn't be hosed fixing it. Hell it represents the large need for human drafts.

Maybe I'm missing something, but how did you get away with 5 merfolk in your deck?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

ManMythLegend posted:

Maybe I'm missing something, but how did you get away with 5 merfolk in your deck?

You can have as many cards as you want in limited.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

RC Cola posted:

You can have as many cards as you want in limited.

Ah, you're in limited. That's what I was missing.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
7-0 mono green it feels like some of the mono colors are real strong in limited. The only deck that really tested me was a mono red deck too.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Did they ever do anything about Legion Warboss

they instituted a rule at mcs where you have to announce to your opponent that youre about to cast one, so they can set a stop if they want to lol

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Chadzok posted:

We walk similar paths but I believe in even more thorough elimination of Fun, personally.

Pick rates of So Tinies and Secretkeepers definitely need to be tightened up a bit.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I 3-0ed two local paper events with mono G and mono U.
Then 1-1-1 in a third deck where I drafted G/U and it was a mess (no I didn't have Oko)
Can't get a mono deck together on Arena though.

Also; which events give XP? Just the limited time ones?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ManMythLegend posted:

So I'm just getting into Arena and trying to figure out what to do with my wildcards.

Do you guys think trying to build out a full set of shock lands is worth it at this point?

You should only spend wildcards to complete a deck you want to play. They don't expire, there's no reason to cash them in prior to needing one.

Personally, I tend to try to make a budget version of a deck to see if I like it prior to really completing it. Shocklands (and other dual lands) in perticular are relatively easy to replace and still get a feel for the deck: the deck will be worse, obviously, but you'll still get the feel of it just fine compared to trying to do without some of the keystone rares/mythics. If you like the deck, then yeah grab the lands, but that'll let you avoid wasting wildcards on a deck that looks cool but you don't actually like once you play with it.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

ChrisBTY posted:

I 3-0ed two local paper events with mono G and mono U.
Then 1-1-1 in a third deck where I drafted G/U and it was a mess (no I didn't have Oko)
Can't get a mono deck together on Arena though.

Also; which events give XP? Just the limited time ones?

Pretty much only special events. They'll tell you if you get XP on the win reward track.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

evilweasel posted:

You should only spend wildcards to complete a deck you want to play. They don't expire, there's no reason to cash them in prior to needing one.

Personally, I tend to try to make a budget version of a deck to see if I like it prior to really completing it. Shocklands (and other dual lands) in perticular are relatively easy to replace and still get a feel for the deck: the deck will be worse, obviously, but you'll still get the feel of it just fine compared to trying to do without some of the keystone rares/mythics. If you like the deck, then yeah grab the lands, but that'll let you avoid wasting wildcards on a deck that looks cool but you don't actually like once you play with it.

Counterpoint: Shocklands will be around for another year and enable any deck that isn't monocolor to be better. More WCs will come. Then again, we don't know yet if there will be new duals with the next set so :iiam:

Personally, I can't bring myself to spend WCs yet. I have enough to build just about any deck I want at this point with some left over but I just can't pull the trigger.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I dont like Ravens because it makes me do timed math and im very bad at timed math

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Its hard to believe mana bases will get even better over the course of the year.

And that oko is in standard for 23 more months.

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

:ffg:
EAT THE DONUTS
:ffg:

No Wave posted:

Its hard to believe mana bases will get even better over the course of the year.

And that oko is in standard for 23 more months.

I'd argue that mana bases are actually bad right now, but there's no way to punish bad mana so it doesn't matter.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Kanfy posted:

We walk similar paths but I believe in even more thorough elimination of Fun, personally.

Pick rates of So Tinies and Secretkeepers definitely need to be tightened up a bit.

This was my 7-2 Draft in a nutshell.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Truth Quark posted:

I'd argue that mana bases are actually bad right now, but there's no way to punish bad mana so it doesn't matter.
you're correct, I was probably looking at the situation a little backwards.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shooting Blanks posted:

Counterpoint: Shocklands will be around for another year and enable any deck that isn't monocolor to be better. More WCs will come. Then again, we don't know yet if there will be new duals with the next set so :iiam:

yeah but why bother getting them prior to building the deck that they make better? if you have 40 rare wildcards, why spend them getting every shockland rather than the specific shocklands for the decks you want to play, plus the rares in those decks?

when they were gonna do 2:1 for historic cards there was a potential reason to cash in wildcards in advance, but now there's literally zero benefit to ever spending a wildcard before you actually want to play with a deck that needs one

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Truth Quark posted:

In past standards, what are examples of punishing bad Mana?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Sooo is the only viable draft archetype on Arena Dimir Mill? Because the one time I really committed to it I went 6-3 and every other time I've gone 3-3 at best and seem to run into everyone playing something in blue that attempts to discard everything. I'm at the point where I'm taking Merfolk Secretkeeprin the first 5 picks or so of a pack just for the discard 4 spell, which should just never happen as it's not that great except in Dimir Mill. Hell, I'm starting to run 41 and 42 card decks just to try and nullify mill strats.

Can we please get human drafts so it's not "abuse the bots: the game"?

axeil fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Cheen posted:

In past standards, what are examples of punishing bad Mana?

Aggro.

Field means all you have to do is get to a certain turn and you mire the battlefield with lovely zombies every turn because even lands are good draws.

Oko makes it incredibly hard to burn someone down quickly.

Smolferi makes interactivity very risky because if you can't answer him immediately all your instants are useless.