Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

HerStuddMuffin posted:

There’s already the fear that being on a donor list makes you more likely to be preemptively declared dead by hospitals if you go in there looking like a promising organ box.

This was my reason for not being an organ donor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

MightyJoe36 posted:

It makes a certain amount of sense knowing what we do now about the industry BUT consider thst the capitalidts want you alive as long ss hunanly possible so they can extract more profit from your existence first.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
Please be organ donors, it is not a scam. My father's life was saved (as are thousands of other peoples' every year) because a kind woman donated her organs after she died in a car accident.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

MightyJoe36 posted:

"Big ER Docs will just kill you for your organs if you're a donor" is an idiotic myth. Nobody in an emergency even has time to even figure out if you're an organ donor, and if that ever happened to anyone it would be the mother of all malpractice suits, with plenty of people involved enough to blow the whistle.

There are a lot of problems with organ donation, because people who just have to find a way to extract profit from any good thing are working their way into it. That doesn't change the fact that organ donation is fundamentally a good thing. If your skin gets ground into a $100,000 for-profit rear end treatment and your pancreas saves somebody's life, guess what? Your body parts still saved somebody's life, and it didn't cost you anything.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

The Pirate Captain posted:

Please be organ donors, it is not a scam. My father's life was saved (as are thousands of other peoples' every year) because a kind woman donated her organs after she died in a car accident.

Sounds like something BIG MEDICAL would say!

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

This. Please donate organs. A friend of mine had a life saving heart transplant made possible because someone made the choice to donate their organs upon death.

My brother committed suicide and it has given our family a lot of comfort knowing that his organs were used to help save or improve the quality of life for over a dozen people.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

It really depends on your ideology. While there is value in helping individuals with a donation, denying income to lovely companies that enrich elites while simultaneously denying material for those same elites to beautify themselves and/or extend their lives is also good to do.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Midjack posted:

It really depends on your ideology. While there is value in helping individuals with a donation, denying income to lovely companies that enrich elites while simultaneously denying material for those same elites to beautify themselves and/or extend their lives is also good to do.

I mean, if you hate the rich so much that you think denying them their butt injections is worth people dying over, then sure, that can be your ideology.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Space Gopher posted:

"Big ER Docs will just kill you for your organs if you're a donor" is an idiotic myth. Nobody in an emergency even has time to even figure out if you're an organ donor, and if that ever happened to anyone it would be the mother of all malpractice suits, with plenty of people involved enough to blow the whistle.

I always wondered about that part of the myth. How would ER doctors know if you were an organ donor? IIRC, there's a separate transplant team that does the harvesting, and they don't get you until you're already dead.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

hyperhazard posted:

I always wondered about that part of the myth. How would ER doctors know if you were an organ donor? IIRC, there's a separate transplant team that does the harvesting, and they don't get you until you're already dead.

That presupposes someone at the hospital has the job of identifying organ donors when they walk in and orchestrates the practitioners to provide care good enough to preserve the organs but just inept enough to kill the patient. It’s unclear if this is a full time job for somebody in management or just a side thing.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

Space Gopher posted:

"Big ER Docs will just kill you for your organs if you're a donor" is an idiotic myth.

I've heard "But even though you're dead and unconscious, your body will still register pain when the organs are removed! It can be seen on the hospital brainwave device!"

I think a lot of people are uncomfortable with the idea of being an organ donor and make up all sorts of weird arguments to further justify their choice. But not being comfortable with the idea is enough, it's your body.

I am planning to donate some of my body to medical research when I'm gone, but I meticulously researched the org I'm donating to. The only thing I'm not happy with is that it's not possible to be both an organ donor, and a donor to medical science. I had to choose one.

Many organ donations are cancelled at the last minute by the next of kin. I'd hate for my final wish to be obstructed like that, when I'm in no position to protest the decision.

You should definitely consider donating your organs.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Midjack posted:

That presupposes someone at the hospital has the job of identifying organ donors when they walk in and orchestrates the practitioners to provide care good enough to preserve the organs but just inept enough to kill the patient. It’s unclear if this is a full time job for somebody in management or just a side thing.

There's a national organ donor registry hospitals look up every patient on (if they don't already know from intake paperwork), it's actually pretty vital they know up front if the patient is an organ donor because every second counts for harvesting an organ and getting it on ice in time for it to be viable for transplant.

None of that means the 17 people involved in your care are all working together to make sure they get your precious precious organs though.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Perverse incentives are a thing, so I can understand someone being leery of being worth more dead than alive.

Like hospitals do all sorts of dumb poo poo to meet metrics, like having ambulances circle the hospital because treatment times were based off of time after entering the doors, or assigning a "hello nurse" as an unofficial position whose only job is to greet people at the door, so they could check off that 100% of patients talked to a medical professional within the first five minutes.

You don't need someone to consciously decide 'i want to kill this guy for his organs' make organ donation a liability, you just need our horrible corporate bean counters to put enough pressure on the system until it ~somehow~ gets more profitable.

I mean I'm still an organ donor but I can absolutely understand the distrust.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

I mean, if you hate the rich so much that you think denying them their butt injections is worth people dying over, then sure, that can be your ideology.

Most days I feel like it is that, honestly

Tubgoat posted:

Except it's not the donor deciding, it's the wealthy, and they will let the needy die for their comfort/appearance in every single iteration.

Who makes the decision of where and to whom your organs go? It's not all automatic right? Is jumping line in the waiting lists a thing like I've heard it is?

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Who makes the decision of where and to whom your organs go? It's not all automatic right? Is jumping line in the waiting lists a thing like I've heard it is?

From what I'm aware of (which is pretty much just what I've read, I have no personal experience here), things like donation chains - where Alice's family will get tested to see if anyone is a match for Bob, in exchange for Bob's family getting tested for matches to Carol, whose family gets tested for matches to Emily, and so on down the line - are certainly real, with the agreement that anyone who can get a match and a willing donor gives up their spot on the list for whoever is immediately behind them.

I don't think that the donation matching process is automatic, but there is a pretty short window for how long organs will stay viable outside the body without a whole set of supports, and those supports aren't workable outside the controlled environment of the hospital room. So my best guess is that there's a real quick test to see if the organs are usable, and then they pull up the list of who needs, say, a new heart or kidneys and is also within a specific range of the hospital.

The decision for who makes it on that list is made well before the organs are harvested, and has a whole bunch of factors in play. How old the patient is, why they need an organ transplant, whether they're going to live long enough to make it worth the risk of surgery and immunosuppressants, etc. Moral character can come into play, too. A teenager who volunteers at the soup kitchen every weekend and needs a new liver before of cancer is more likely to get approval than an elderly alcoholic whose drinking has trashed their liver.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

tinytort posted:

The decision for who makes it on that list is made well before the organs are harvested, and has a whole bunch of factors in play. How old the patient is, why they need an organ transplant, whether they're going to live long enough to make it worth the risk of surgery and immunosuppressants, etc. Moral character can come into play, too. A teenager who volunteers at the soup kitchen every weekend and needs a new liver before of cancer is more likely to get approval than an elderly alcoholic whose drinking has trashed their liver.

Moral character doesn't become involved, but age and substance use definitely does. If you're over 60 you're probably going to die waiting for a transplant, same thing if you smoke or are an alcoholic since there are so many younger non-susbstance-abusers out there who also need the organs.

According to a quick google I just did, a single cadaver can save up to 8 lives, and an average of 20 people die every single day waiting on the transplant list. If "gently caress the rich" is more important to you than that, then you're no better than those selfish rich folks. Please be an organ donor.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'm an organ donor and good loving luck to whoever winds up with whatever I leave behind. Have fun with it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I just got a text message telling me I'd received 15.6 bitcoins.

Yeah, not gonna follow that link.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Tunicate posted:

Like hospitals do all sorts of dumb poo poo to meet metrics, like having ambulances circle the hospital because treatment times were based off of time after entering the doors, or assigning a "hello nurse" as an unofficial position whose only job is to greet people at the door, so they could check off that 100% of patients talked to a medical professional within the first five minutes..

Also handy because nursing has a high rate of workplace injury and it’s something to do with nurses who are on light duty restrictions, which every hospital always has a few of.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
One of the red flags I used to list about an ex of mine was that he refused to be an organ donor because he was convinced that EMTs would let him die (or would outright kill him) for his organs. Never mind that he was a pack a day smoker and a severe alcoholic.

Anyway donate your organs if you are able to do so, what the gently caress is the matter with y’all

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Depressio111117 posted:

what the gently caress is the matter with y’all
Aside from investigations getting hosed by for-profit organ harvesting, 1 living aristocrat kills 100,000 poors.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Eric the Mauve posted:

I mean, you can just buy the cheapest coffin model ($2000) if Grandma didn't really mean anything to you

Protip - if you're not planning for an open casket funeral/memorial service, and you're planning on cremation anyways, you don't have to buy a coffin at all.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Mister Kingdom posted:

I just got a text message telling me I'd received 15.6 bitcoins.

Yeah, not gonna follow that link.

Might've shared this story before, but years back when I did shift work in the air force we had a couple phone that were on a separate switchboard so we could still talk to people if the main one went down. They had unlisted numbers and we never had emergencies so they'd only ever get called by auto dialers. Whenever they rang, we'd rock-paper-scissors to see who got the privilege of answering it to go all Major Payne on the scammers/telermaketers. This was back before recorded messages and international call centers took off, so a lucky someone would get to spook a real english-speaking someone by making up some federal laws that they had broken by calling duty phones and other :words:.

It was disappointing the first time we got a pre-recorded message, but the national do not call thingy expansion came into effect around then and we stopped getting calls. Too bad, it was a great stress reliever.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Qu Appelle posted:

Protip - if you're not planning for an open casket funeral/memorial service, and you're planning on cremation anyways, you don't have to buy a coffin at all.
:thejoke:

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Yeah - but in both of my parent's arrangements, I've had funeral directors try to sell me coffins. So, some people may not genuinely know.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Please doctor cop, please harvest my organs before my investigation is complete.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Got a call from Kingston, Jamaica yesterday telling me that I won the Publisher's Clearinghouse Sweepstakes, mon.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Qu Appelle posted:

Yeah - but in both of my parent's arrangements, I've had funeral directors try to sell me coffins. So, some people may not genuinely know.
It's just wonderful that capitalism has turned literally every loving profession into 'salesman.'

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
When was funeral director not another way of saying casket salesman?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Honestly? I used to think it meant that it meant they were in charge of putting on a respectful service for the family of the deceased, though this probably hasn't been the case since before chattel slavery fell out of vogue in the U.S.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Undertaking only really became a profession in the US during the Civil War, with the rise of embalming and patent coffins as a way of preserving dead servicemembers’ bodies for transportation.

Before that, corpses were washed and prepared at home, coffins were built by local cabinet makers (in cities) and carpenters (in rural communities), and burial was arranged by cemetery staff.

So it’s always been (in the US) about commercializing something that had been handled informally by family and community.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Tubgoat posted:

It's just wonderful that capitalism has turned literally every loving profession into 'salesman.'

Communism is so much better. Everyone gets a bullet in the head and then dumped in a mass grave. No coffin needed!

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Iron Prince posted:

Please doctor cop, please harvest my organs before my investigation is complete.

The odds of you dying in a way that would require investigation are like one in a thousand.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Qu Appelle posted:

You're in luck, we have a special today just for you! Our most modestly priced receptacle for your loved one's remains is the low price of $1,500 today. It's only today so act fast!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Stick Insect posted:

not being comfortable with the idea is enough, it's your body.
also, if you feel very strongly about wanting to donate your organs, you can donate a kidney right now as a living person, to another living person.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

HerStuddMuffin posted:

My uncle has been a mortician for 30+ years and was talking about this the other day. I guess in 2007/8 there was a giant mega-corp that was pushing the “pre-need” super hard for years, and when people started using the plans enmasse, they went belly-up and brought down the entire industry. That’s when you had all the news stories about people being dug up and plots resold.

From his point of view he stopped being a funeral director and became a glorified sales person when pre-need plans started.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
People are also being buried less. Quite a few nonreligious people don't put too much importance on a corpse, and people move around a lot more now. If you have lived in several different cities throughout your life, and your adult children live in places that you don't have a strong connection to, then there is little reason to spend money on a grave in a particular location that will be inconvenient for your loved ones to visit. Compare that to the days where it wasn't unusual to spend your whole life in the town you were born in, and burial made a lot more sense back then.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

synthetik posted:

My uncle has been a mortician for 30+ years and was talking about this the other day. I guess in 2007/8 there was a giant mega-corp that was pushing the “pre-need” super hard for years, and when people started using the plans enmasse, they went belly-up and brought down the entire industry. That’s when you had all the news stories about people being dug up and plots resold.

From his point of view he stopped being a funeral director and became a glorified sales person when pre-need plans started.

The joke was on them really, my great grandma got one from the local guy in '94 after her husband died and even with 20 years of inflation the CD ladder it was invested in had done so well that we got change back after she finally died in 2013.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
Right, except for all the people that can’t get what they paid for because the company they purchased from went out of business or was sold in a bankruptcy auction. There’s a lot of people(‘s families) that got screwed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
The used video game store, Games and Go, is a loving scam. Motherfuckers offered me $2 for Duck Tales 2 (NES, original non-repro, no box, no manual). Said they'd probably resell it for $10, maybe less. I called a reputable game store and inquired about its approximate value.
"...we can't give you a quote over the phone, but the owner will be in the store tomorrow morning to afternoon."
"Is the reason you can't give me a quote because it's a much higher figure than $2 and you don't want me getting upset later if it turns out you can't offer quite as much as originally quoted?"
"That is correct."
loving gently caress Games and Go, motherfuckers looted what remaines of my mate's video game shop after his literally good-for-nothing brother embezzled it, and the motherfuckers are still at it.

If you live in the Twin Cities, Minnesota, do not EVER sell anything to Games and Go.