Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Not Operator posted:

That stupid fish gag broke me multiple times. I had to pull over while driving.

Honestly I’m a pretty heavy podcast listener, I work from home, might have to go to a couple meetings or a site visit a week but during the day I always have a podcast running, naddpod is on a short list of ones I will save and listen to while I run or have time to focus on it, it’s really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer
God, I really appreciate the band's ability to continue to strike the balance between growing drama and top-tier goofs. Just fabulous stuff.

Also, late to the party on this, but I've just binged through all of Fantasy High in a handful of days and that is some excellent roleplaying fun. Deadeye really grated on me in the Shadowfell arc, but Brennan Lee Mulligan on FH is absolutely fantastic.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

What's the fish's name, Turbo Tongue Timmy Tuna?

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Just got out of the new york live show. It was fantastic, and I hope they post all of the live recordings they can!

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

We can't go back no more, but I suppose we can go wherever we please.
Been cracking in to this this week after catching up to Dragon Friends and I am glad I have.

Just finished Ep12 with the Watchman and Beverlys stunt/aftermath at the end was hilarious.

Got a real long way to go as I usually only listen at work.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
And it only gets better and better. Envy you for experiencing all for the first time.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm also starting to catch up; just started episode 11 and it's by far the best actual play podcast I've listened to so far.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I was waiting to sub to this thread until I caught up on all the Bahumia episodes of the podcast, and now I've done that (and also just got home from the Boston live show). What a great podcast this is, it has such an electric energy. I haven't pulled the trigger on subscribing to the patreon yet, since I had so many episodes to listen to, but at some point I'm probably going to go back and listen to them all again with the accompanying short rests.

I really can't hear that Kid Cudi song the same way ever again, or roll a 2 like a normal person in my own D&D game.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
You should also listen to the Trinyvale campaign with Caldwell as the DM. It's also really good

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

theCalamity posted:

You should also listen to the Trinyvale campaign with Caldwell as the DM. It's also really good

Oh yeah, I've been listening to those too, it's a lot of fun. I adore the complex web of high/low status between the characters, where Nyack and Onyx look up to Jens, no matter how mean he is to them, but in reality he's a loser slob and all of the compliments are just burns. It's rare for someone's character choice of "ugh, i hate my teammates" to work well, but I like how they flipped it around and made it funny.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the constant long asides between Nyack and Onyx are the funniest poo poo

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

Holy poo poo. Just finished the penultimate for the Galaderon arc. What a goddamn slug fest and a testament to Don’t Split the Party!

That Cob/Hardwon fight and results.

Also I hope Beverly’s penchant for almost loving the party over with random goofs continues. Don’t let him near dynamite.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

[today's dimension 20 spoilers]

emily realizing she can easily use Unseen Servant for insurance fraud, then announcing that she's sent it to burn her home down. while she goes to the grocery store so she's on camera with an alibi. fantastic

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

eke out posted:

[today's dimension 20 spoilers]

emily realizing she can easily use Unseen Servant for insurance fraud, then announcing that she's sent it to burn her home down. while she goes to the grocery store so she's on camera with an alibi. fantastic

Brennan switching right to Ricky was the icing on the cake lmao

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

I had to become a patreon to listen to Short Rest after the last episode of the Galaderon saga and the first few of the Crick series today. Holy poo poo. I need to hear their general talk about all this, all the What ifs and other insane poo poo.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Does anyone remember which Short Rest had them talking about renting out a restaurant and doing a live show

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

theCalamity posted:

Brennan switching right to Ricky was the icing on the cake lmao

I think the bit around there where he realized he let her replicate Clairvoyance as only a second level caster was the best, the look on his face was amazing.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Is the Divine Hearts stuff, and lore of Melora being a mortal that killed a God and used it's heart to become one herself all unique to Murph's play and Bahumia? I'm presuming it is, since I've never heard any of that lore in any other D'n'D stuff, but I don't actually play D'n'D myself and it's entirely possible it's just not come up because it wasn't relevant in other D'n'D liveplays. It's interesting stuff regardless and I love that when Emily was wondering whether the Band of Boobs would use a Divine Heart themselves or destroy it, she went from "I think Moonshine would destroy it" to "Oh, now I can see why people would be seduced by this kind of thing" within 2 minutes on the Short Rest. I do think Murph has talked about Melora being Palor's daughter in some past episode though, so maybe she started out as a demi-God rather than a mere mortal?

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.
Apparently the NY venue wanted too much money to allow them to record that Nannerfly Effect live show, so someone in Reddit posted a recap:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NotAnotherDnDPodcast/comments/dagy76/spoilers_nyc_live_show_galadaron_saga_full_recap/

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Footage of the Strong Caldwell incident:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ODEj0TdB21U&feature=youtu.be

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Very excited that we are finally in the endgame of this humor podcast: kill the devil, then god

Also, hardwon growing horns right when he suggested "Well nothing stops us from just killing Josh" was perfect timing by Murph, well done

eke out fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Oct 4, 2019

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

eke out posted:

Very excited that we are finally in the endgame of this humor podcast: kill the devil, then god

Also, hardwon growing horns right when he suggested "Well nothing stops us from just killing Josh" was perfect timing by Murph, well done

‘‘Twas a good soad

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

Up to Episode 54 now and man, I know it was a DM vs himself moment sorta but Balnor chopping off the dudes arms and shoving him into the bag was amazing.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I'm only on episode 31 with the pirate cove but this exchange:

Hardwon posted:

*bites into slider* "What is a cow, anyway?

Moonshine posted:

"It's like a flashy donkey, with breasts."

:allears:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'd like to once again praise Murph for making each chapter distinct and memorable.

Right now it's Mad Max in Hell and that's about the most badass thing imaginable.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Emily is a genius

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

I'd like to once again praise Murph for making each chapter distinct and memorable.

Right now it's Mad Max in Hell and that's about the most badass thing imaginable.

A lot of d&d streams are doing that right now, I think the wotc are pushing their latest adventure and partnering with popular groups. I hope Murph is getting a slice of that pie and isn’t just giving it away for free, but if there was a partnership he’d probably have mentioned it by now

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Ainsley McTree posted:

A lot of d&d streams are doing that right now, I think the wotc are pushing their latest adventure and partnering with popular groups. I hope Murph is getting a slice of that pie and isn’t just giving it away for free, but if there was a partnership he’d probably have mentioned it by now

Yeah, Avernus/Baldur's Gate(?) was their last big stream event. I only watched the sections with Alex Lee and the McElroy's in it, and between them they really ruined a lot of True Roleplayers's days. It was gorgeous.

Joe Manganiello was not prepared.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Not Operator posted:

Yeah, Avernus/Baldur's Gate(?) was their last big stream event. I only watched the sections with Alex Lee and the McElroy's in it, and between them they really ruined a lot of True Roleplayers's days. It was gorgeous.

I’m still a little bitter that they didn’t put Alex in the McElroy group; that stream was such a beautiful clusterfuck that she would have had much more fun in, she kind of stuck out in the one she was in

It was worth it for starting off the adventure by patting a roc on the beak and then eating a reaction attack as she comically backed away though

I hope naddpod gets to do some official wotc stuff, if they haven’t already. They have a good sized audience, they sold a lot of seats in a good-sized theater for the Boston show. Not quite sold out but a good showing.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Nadpod is great. I appreciate the cast's open distain of Republicans and Libertarians

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

this has been, pound for pound, one of their best arcs ever just two episodes in

also this:

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Emily is a genius

she's so clever and is legit just really good with dnd mechanics, and the combination pays off

eke out fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 11, 2019

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Emily is smart and cool and good. The payoff at the end of today was great. I really wanted Josh and Rust to go into the bellychain

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

RC Cola posted:

Emily is smart and cool and good. The payoff at the end of today was great. I really wanted Josh and Rust to go into the bellychain

Hearing Murph having the realization that he wasn't nearly careful enough was delicious.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

RC Cola posted:

on one hand, i hooted and hollered when the idea surfaced. on another hand, as a dm, i don't blame murph for not wanting to have like 4 different npcs always be with the party.

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

Up to 61 now. With the guest, it’s really hard not to utterly lose it at work.

The entire bar scene, especially Hardwon/Bev getting called over by the vamps and chat before/during by Deadeye is fantastic

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Farg posted:

on one hand, i hooted and hollered when the idea surfaced. on another hand, as a dm, i don't blame murph for not wanting to have like 4 different npcs always be with the party.

Yeah, you can hear the relief in his voice when she decides to not trap them. That would have been hell.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Not Operator posted:

Do you know which one that was? It sounds pretty hilarious.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

seaborgium posted:

Do you know which one that was? It sounds pretty hilarious.

Session 1: in which Alex Lee does her very best
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onH65amYMPI

and Session 2: in which the most patient DM in the world deals with Clint and Travis McElroy as they try to get a hellbeast laid. Fair warning, yes that guy in the preview is Gabe or Tycho of Penny Arcade fame.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHVcEkMMB40

You'll see all the Mad Max poo poo, soul coins and other stuff that Murph is adopting.

e: incidentally, I never watched past this because I don't care that much, but session four has Matt Mercer playing Boo to someone's else's Minsc if that's up your alley. This is not a metaphor.

Not Operator fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 14, 2019

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Inzombiac posted:

Hearing Murph having the realization that he wasn't nearly careful enough was delicious.

I think he was just as surprised by how easy this encounter was for them, though that was in large part thanks to Moonshine setting Hardwon up to clown on Rust using the mechanics Murph had set up for the fight. I don't think Rust got a single attack off on them, and they mostly spent the fight talking about Moonshine's new daughter rather than actually coming in to conflict with Rust. Which, if they hadn't just been brushed off easily by Thiala, I'd be wondering if he hadn't underestimated their growth entirely. As is, it's probably just Emily taking advantage of the mechanics again that allowed them to go through that encounter with such ease, but even Murph noted at one point that they'd really gotten powerful in a tone that suggested he was a little shocked.

I do love though that one of the first things someone said about the 9 Hells as they were preparing to go there was "It's not like the Shadowfell, the 9 Hells are beyond redemption and there's nothing good about anything there", yet within two episodes they've made friends with several of the demons, adopted one and basically freed all the souls trapped there while realizing many of them weren't even that bad and just got trapped in a bad deal.

tsob fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

He mentions it explicitly in the short rest but I think that the big thing that cut the legs out from that fight was that it hinged mostly on two difficult monsters, and Emily immediately took both of them out of the fight with a single spell

And regarding the latter thing, it’s a recurring gag that I love about this podcast; whenever murph tries to set up a sinister villain, they just dunk on them until they become vaguely goofy and likeable. I guess the entire concept of hell works the same way. Thiala is still pretty serious but they haven’t had a chance to really talk to her yet