Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Eej posted:

Aggro.

Field means all you have to do is get to a certain turn and you mire the battlefield with lovely zombies every turn because even lands are good draws.

Oko makes it incredibly hard to burn someone down quickly.

Smolferi makes interactivity very risky because if you can't answer him immediately all your instants are useless.

The biggest mistake of Eldraine seems to be that there aren't any really good viable Aggro decks. Knights are cool but aren't fast enough to outspeed Golos and everything else is pretty crappy value. I guess there's a RDW but it's not very good compared to what it was prior to rotation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
Just hosed myself out of a win because I thought fairy guidemother’s adventure was instant speed (it is not)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It would be really cool if Red could combo Torbran into Chainwhirler I'm just sayin

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

axeil posted:

Sooo is the only viable draft archetype on Arena Dimir Mill? Because the one time I really committed to it I went 6-3 and every other time I've gone 3-3 at best and seem to run into everyone playing something in blue that attempts to discard everything. I'm at the point where I'm taking Merfolk Secretkeeprin the first 5 picks or so of a pack just for the discard 4 spell, which should just never happen as it's not that great except in Dimir Mill. Hell, I'm starting to run 41 and 42 card decks just to try and nullify mill strats.

Can we please get human drafts so it's not "abuse the bots: the game"?

I had a pretty good time with Boros Knights and Izzet draw 2.

7-2 and 5-3 respectively in low gold/high silver.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

axeil posted:

Sooo is the only viable draft archetype on Arena Dimir Mill? Because the one time I really committed to it I went 6-3 and every other time I've gone 3-3 at best and seem to run into everyone playing something in blue that attempts to discard everything. I'm at the point where I'm taking Merfolk Secretkeeprin the first 5 picks or so of a pack just for the discard 4 spell, which should just never happen as it's not that great except in Dimir Mill. Hell, I'm starting to run 41 and 42 card decks just to try and nullify mill strats.

Can we please get human drafts so it's not "abuse the bots: the game"?

Nah, it's a bit too easy to put together right now but "the only viable draft" is an exaggeration, I've seen plenty of decks find success. Golgari food is particularly good and in general any black deck can give mill a hard time with Forever Young. I've gotten 7 wins even with like, mono-white fliers. Quite a bit of stuff can work if you can put it together.

Ground-based aggro struggles though since blue is so defensive and green and black food provide a lot of life gain.

wei
Jul 27, 2006
I've had decent success with Green, as long as it wasn't paired with White. I really wish we had human drafts though, it's a bit tiresome running into mill so often.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i think wicked wolf is my favorite card among sets released since arena started. no one ever seems to read what it does, over and over again. if only the art didnt suck

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

axeil posted:

The biggest mistake of Eldraine seems to be that there aren't any really good viable Aggro decks. Knights are cool but aren't fast enough to outspeed Golos and everything else is pretty crappy value. I guess there's a RDW but it's not very good compared to what it was prior to rotation.

Even in BO1, if I make a deck with 15 lands, a billion 1-drop creatures, Light up the Stage and Skewer the Critics, and I draw the angriest hand imaginable, if Golos gets Arboreal Grazer on Turn 1 or 2, that blocking is going to stall me for them to get zombies online around turn 5-6. If it wasn't for the Grazer I would have them dead by turn 5.

Wasn't Sakura Tribe Elder banned in some relevant formats for the same reason (i.e. unfairly stall aggro for minimal cost while land ramping)?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Standard was never supposed to revolve around decks playing 29-30 lands so it’s easy to see how they could miss the impact of Grazer as an 0/3 Reach incidentally blocking absolutely everything.

This format is so unstable and gross, I can’t wait for 9 midrange archetypes to all vie for the vacant Golos Field throne.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I thought Coiling Oracle v2.0 would be the great enemy, but it's actually Wall of Wood v3.0 that is keeping honest aggro down

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Relin posted:

i think wicked wolf is my favorite card among sets released since arena started. no one ever seems to read what it does, over and over again. if only the art didnt suck

There are so many fantastic green 4 drops right now it's ridiculous. Wicked Wolf, Questing Beast, Ceratops, Nightpack Ambusher, Nullhide Ferox. Just a lot of hard decisions.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Bo3 draft for Eldraine takes forever

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
what is this rw relentless assault clone, i missed the name. i cant find it on arena

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Relin posted:

what is this rw relentless assault clone, i missed the name. i cant find it on arena
Response/Resurgence?

It's pretty different actually.

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

Chance for Glory

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Are the rewards for ranked play different from the standard Bo1?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

ManMythLegend posted:

Are the rewards for ranked play different from the standard Bo1?

You get a couple of extra packs, gold and card styles at the end of the month depending on your final rank when the ladder resets. The rewards list for each rank is on the profile page. Other than that there's no extra rewards so don't kill yourself grinding ranked unless you're actually having fun with it. If you're going to give a poo poo about tryhard magic you also want to switch to bo3 at some point.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Lagomorphic posted:

You get a couple of extra packs, gold and card styles at the end of the month depending on your final rank when the ladder resets. The rewards list for each rank is on the profile page. Other than that there's no extra rewards so don't kill yourself grinding ranked unless you're actually having fun with it. If you're going to give a poo poo about tryhard magic you also want to switch to bo3 at some point.

Uh yeah... ok, you could have just said

kater
Nov 16, 2010

There are no rewards for standard bo1 play so the answer is yes. The real reason to play ranked is because there’s less people that just dip for whatever reason so you get more actual games.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Chomp8645 posted:

Uh yeah... ok, you could have just said

I mean if you boil down to it to a binary the answer is actually "yes"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Ok maybe his question is open to interpretation.

It's either...

1) "are rewards for ranked BO1 different from ranked BO3" --> NO

or

2) "are rewards for ranked BO1 different from unranked" --> YES

Not sure which one he's asking, actually. I was thinking the former. The latter is extremely obviously different so I don't know he would even ask.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 14, 2019

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wait, "standard" bo1 would be ranked, I thought he was asking about bo1 v bo3

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
It is extremely fitting the the Magic thread have an argument based upon unclear wording, basically the only game in the universe where that should never happen in-game anymore.

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?
Just had two Golos fields decks concede games 2 and 3 turn 3 when I played ashiok despite them having field in play or in their hand already. They almost certainly would have won with how slow my mill deck works.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Chomp8645 posted:

It is extremely fitting the the Magic thread have an argument based upon unclear wording, basically the only game in the universe where that should never happen in-game anymore.

the reward is different

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I don't know why anyone even bothers with ranked before the field of the dead ban. Or maybe they'll just ban Golos. Either way, what we're seeing isn't the "real" throne of eldraine meta so nothing actually matters right now except theorycrafting something that can beat oko once field is gone.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

A Moose posted:

I don't know why anyone even bothers with ranked before the field of the dead ban. Or maybe they'll just ban Golos. Either way, what we're seeing isn't the "real" throne of eldraine meta so nothing actually matters right now except theorycrafting something that can beat oko once field is gone.

Standard is also going to change when the next set comes out. Might as well never play magic imo.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Eh, nothing wrong with theorycrafting while we're waiting for the death of the current meta. I'm holding onto a fair amount of WCs, but I'm definitely waiting until after the BNR before I craft. I'm interested in either Simic food or Golgari adventures. Food is likely the favorite after, but how does adventures hold up against the other non-golos decks? I imagine Fires and possibly even Dance will be relevant.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Speaking off, what are the card styles for gold and plat this month?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

No one plays golos in ranked because of all the golos decks make the mirror matches unbearable.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MCV deck lists are out

https://twitter.com/hipstersmtg/status/1183855856351432707?s=21

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Golos at 42% of the field doesnt even seem that bad compared to MC1.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Tibalt posted:

No one plays golos in ranked because of all the golos decks make the mirror matches unbearable.

Schrodinger's deck.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No Wave posted:

Golos at 42% of the field doesnt even seem that bad compared to MC1.

What was the breakdown in MCI

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Ah I meant mythic invitational, the Bo1 mess that was like 35% esper 25% mono white and 15% mono red.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
God that was the worst too with all those Esper mirror match snore fests over and over

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Dr. Stab posted:

Standard is also going to change when the next set comes out. Might as well never play magic imo.

This happens about 2 weeks before every stale meta gets shaken up. Its just because they did a dumb thing that this meta got stale ~3 weeks after the set came out.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

axeil posted:

Gruul aggro-ish is fast enough to have a decent matchup with field and oko. Norns talked me around on running embercleave as a backbreaker.

the way riot works means that if you happen to run into cavalcade you can slow down instead and just squash them

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

No Wave posted:

Ah I meant mythic invitational, the Bo1 mess that was like 35% esper 25% mono white and 15% mono red.

That's still a way better distribution than 42 to 18.

I hope they give compensation wc's for both Golos and Field if they only ban one but not the other.