Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Jesus, does this game ever stop stepping on its own feet?

It's really irritating. I think RDO is a lot better than GTAO in a lot of ways, but my loving god is it buggy as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I do enjoy that the experience of RDO being in no way helped by the existence of anyone who isn't in your posse is baked into the game code itself.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Jesus, does this game ever stop stepping on its own feet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUDoY6WDh3o

Wasn't this bad the first week of Frontier Pursuits. I think it was because folks hadn't come back yet, then word got out that hey this is fun and there's poo poo to do and that influx of players broke animal spawns and camps.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Capn Beeb posted:

Wasn't this bad the first week of Frontier Pursuits. I think it was because folks hadn't come back yet, then word got out that hey this is fun and there's poo poo to do and that influx of players broke animal spawns and camps.

It's also on sale right now for $35 (or at least, it was on the playstation store).

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Capn Beeb posted:

I don't get it, what's the problem - don't you want more animals spawning during those trader sell missions?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Seriously tho what are role missions and are there any for collectors?

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Capn Beeb posted:

Hunting is hosed up right now where if there's too many players in the server, animals don't spawn.

That just means it's time to hunt..

THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME.

<ping> "Ice-T has joined..."

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

KoRMaK posted:

I don't get it, what's the problem - don't you want more animals spawning during those trader sell missions?

You're on the clock to sell, problem is animals don't spawn reliably so you don't have anything to sell.

ICMB
May 28, 2003
Iron Chef MonkeyButt
I still just don't "get" collecting.

I mean, I've used the map and gone to a few spots and picked up collectibles. I've found a few when looting. Several times I've used the map and found nothing at all.

People talk about just riding around until their controller vibrates. I'm still only rank 3 in collector, so maybe it becomes clearer in time. Overall I find it very unintuitive. Am I just missing something basic, or is this pretty much all there is to it?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

There are a few things that open up that makes it easier. One, there is a trait that I'm pretty sure makes your controller vibrate from further away, so you can sense things better. Also, collectibles will start to glow like they are airport runway lights at some rank or other. Then you can get a metal detector that you can use to find collectibles that do not otherwise trigger the vibration. These tend to be in dirt and near trees, signs, or other objects that make you go "Hm."

But mostly, just use the free map someone linked upthread. It simplifies things immensely and you'll make stupid amounts of money and XP.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

marshmallow creep posted:

There are a few things that open up that makes it easier. One, there is a trait that I'm pretty sure makes your controller vibrate from further away, so you can sense things better. Also, collectibles will start to glow like they are airport runway lights at some rank or other. Then you can get a metal detector that you can use to find collectibles that do not otherwise trigger the vibration. These tend to be in dirt and near trees, signs, or other objects that make you go "Hm."

But mostly, just use the free map someone linked upthread. It simplifies things immensely and you'll make stupid amounts of money and XP.

Ohhh, is that why some collectibles have that tall rear end cloud? Some don't have the giant yellow particle cloud (why?) but I still hear the jingley sound and controller vibrate when I get close.

ICMB posted:

I mean, I've used the map and gone to a few spots and picked up collectibles. I've found a few when looting. Several times I've used the map and found nothing at all.

People talk about just riding around until their controller vibrates. I'm still only rank 3 in collector, so maybe it becomes clearer in time. Overall I find it very unintuitive. Am I just missing something basic, or is this pretty much all there is to it?
Make sure you have the map set on the right day (just refresh the page). I made $500 in like 2 hours by just letting my horse take me to destinations. It was very chill. Then I ugpraded to an arabian and got to places faster. The arabian is a loving wuss though, constantly scared and poo poo. Using it on bounty missions is questionable.

I started boutnying last night, it's fun for when I just want to shoot people and have that kind of moment. So, collecting and bountying fill both niches for what I'm looking for. Just hoping that they eventually put in some meta mission that I find on the edge of the map that leads me to The Maze so we can go full westworld already.

Jandipoo
Mar 29, 2008

I am the great Cornholio!

ICMB posted:

Make sure you have the metal detector and shovel, as a lot of the collectibles require them.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

KoRMaK posted:

Ohhh, is that why some collectibles have that tall rear end cloud? Some don't have the giant yellow particle cloud (why?) but I still hear the jingley sound and controller vibrate when I get close.

Yeah, for me it seems flowers and some buried items glow like a beacon intended for contacting extraterrestrials, but tarot cards are very subdued and hidden on out of the way furniture.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
I’ve mostly just been following the collectibles map around and enjoying the scenery. I have no idea how you’d find some of those cards without a guide.

I hope they add a photographer role, and that they get rid of the horrible photo UI and picture limit. Deleting photos takes such a long time that I just stopped taking pictures. Ideally they ditch the “realistic” camera and add a proper photo mode.

Also, deathmatches are super laggy to the point that they’re not fun, and that’s on a PSpro.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

ElectricWizard posted:

I hope they add a photographer role, and that they get rid of the horrible photo UI and picture limit. Deleting photos takes such a long time that I just stopped taking pictures. Ideally they ditch the “realistic” camera and add a proper photo mode.

You can mass delete your photos by deleting the PHOTO save data file in the PS4 storage menu. I agree though, it's kinda silly that you have limited shots and otherwise have to delete them one at a time through the social club thing.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Grabbed every item on the map last night. Got the cash for almost all my current weapons needs to be covered for now, though I still want a Mauser cause I love that model of pistol. Also upgraded several cards. Could have done more but I didn't wanna drop below $1k again. Anyway, that's why I'm half dead today.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
yeah the map is nuts. I did a coin run in about a hour yesterday.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Selling every collection and all the duplicates I had brought me to a little under 4500, if I recall correctly. Should note that before I scoured the map I had blown through all but like 50 dollars.

That said, I don't suggest worrying with every item. Coins and jewelry and heirlooms, though... just because they're so profitable. Like, there's an exhausting number of cards and then they sell for crap--I think cards are best to just grab as you come up on them, then hold onto them and sling em at Nazar when you need a little extra cash. That's my new strategy, anyway.

Edit: i mean, try and get every item at least once, just cause they actually did a good job at putting them in places that you very well may have never seen before. Last night I saw the inside of that cave with the circle of statues in it for the first time. What the gently caress, even? Like, almost everything else makes immediate sense to me for the historic context--like how the home that in the story has the "man bear pig" thing in its upstairs is a taxidermist making weird amalgamations to sell as novelties or even pass off for a hoax, perhaps, that sorta poo poo. But those statues... Mormons maybe? :shrug:

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 14, 2019

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Selling every collection and all the duplicates I had brought me to a little under 4500, if I recall correctly. Should note that before I scoured the map I had blown through all but like 50 dollars.

That said, I don't suggest worrying with every item. Coins and jewelry and heirlooms, though... just because they're so profitable. Like, there's an exhausting number of cards and then they sell for crap--I think cards are best to just grab as you come up on them, then hold onto them and sling em at Nazar when you need a little extra cash. That's my new strategy, anyway.

Edit: i mean, try and get every item at least once, just cause they actually did a good job at putting them in places that you very well may have never seen before. Last night I saw the inside of that cave with the circle of statues in it for the first time. What the gently caress, even? Like, almost everything else makes immediate sense to me for the historic context--like how the home that in the story has the "man bear pig" thing in its upstairs is a taxidermist making weird amalgamations to sell as novelties or even pass off for a hoax, perhaps, that sorta poo poo. But those statues... Mormons maybe? :shrug:

That cave's got a puzzle in Single Player, and some gold bars. It's great to hit up on a new playthrough to get a quick 3k.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Can I recollect stuff, lets say tarot cards, after a couple days or at some rate? Like, after I get the whole set or something?

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

KoRMaK posted:

Can I recollect stuff, lets say tarot cards, after a couple days or at some rate? Like, after I get the whole set or something?

Yup

Evil Badman posted:

That cave's got a puzzle in Single Player, and some gold bars. It's great to hit up on a new playthrough to get a quick 3k.

Huh, k. I was just using that Limpany glitch that may not even exist anymore. Still, wondering if it has any contextual tie in with the setting. Not that it has to.

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 14, 2019

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

I spent a whole Saturday getting every item on that map. I'm never going to do it again but it did net me a ton of cash and xp. Now I'm just working on leveling ability cards and getting all the pamphlets.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

GrumpyGoesWest posted:

I spent a whole Saturday getting every item on that map. I'm never going to do it again but it did net me a ton of cash and xp. Now I'm just working on leveling ability cards and getting all the pamphlets.

Yeah, I ain't getting every item again, either. That was a huge help but hooooly poo poo. I will happily run around for jewelry and coins once a day, but yeesh.

Like I suggested earlier, spent all I netted on card upgrades and buying/customizing weapons. I still have a dearth of pamphlets, though, and those suckers are PRICEY.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I'm actually floored by how much money you can make collecting, or more so, what you can buy with it. I could have gotten the top tier horse, the fox trot, if I had been 10 ranks higher. So it's nice to know theres a chill lucrative grind I can always fall back to if I fall on hard times, or make bad buying decisions. Actually this makes me a lot more likely to start buying poo poo.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

drat and just thinking about bounty hunting when I want to got me excited. Makes me wonder about the trader but too bad it's all hosed for now.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

KoRMaK posted:

drat and just thinking about bounty hunting when I want to got me excited. Makes me wonder about the trader but too bad it's all hosed for now.

I love Trader when it works. Probably the chillest thing in the game is just setting up camp somewhere and hunting close to it, and I don't even have the wagon yet.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Lawman and Villians. Industrialists.

drat I hope this lives on like WoW for tens of years and not just die when the console gen changes over. This could be my first mmo-ish rpg that I could see myself playing indefinitely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs09HRtFWG4

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

KoRMaK posted:

I'm actually floored by how much money you can make collecting, or more so, what you can buy with it. I could have gotten the top tier horse, the fox trot, if I had been 10 ranks higher. So it's nice to know theres a chill lucrative grind I can always fall back to if I fall on hard times, or make bad buying decisions. Actually this makes me a lot more likely to start buying poo poo.

I entirely agree. I know a lot of people may think it's boring, but it's perfect for me. I get a camp set up (more on that in a sec), then go collect while Cripps makes goods to deliver. I stock Cripps enough so he makes goods until they halt cause of a resupply, then I use the pause in production to fill the raw materials up all the way (or close, since the resupply will fill it the rest of the way), run the resupply, then back to collecting. At my a most dedicated and productive, I've made 6k in one day. But that's not even necessary.

Pylons posted:

I love Trader when it works. Probably the chillest thing in the game is just setting up camp somewhere and hunting close to it, and I don't even have the wagon yet.

Thing is, once you get in a profitable groove with any role, the 2 bucks to create a camp is trivial as gently caress, so I never really start playing until I have a camp set up in a good spot.

I mention this because I don't see Trader as broken. The camp bug is annoying as poo poo, but all you gotta do is get one to pitch and just pray it doesn't despawn. The hunting wagon helps immensely, because the cargo in it saves when you disconnect or whatever. So if you have good carcasses but need to server hop to get a camp to spawn, just pop it in your wagon and do so.

I know I'm rambling, but I am a big fan of the Frontier Pursuits update. I went from perpetually broke as poo poo to being able to rake in obscene amounts and spend them on whatever I want because I know bad purchases can be recouped easily.

Bounty Hunter, though... ugh. Almost entirely useless to me.

Edit:

KoRMaK posted:

Lawman and Villians. Industrialists.

drat I hope this lives on like WoW for tens of years and not just die when the console gen changes over. This could be my first mmo-ish rpg that I could see myself playing indefinitely
Again, same. I've been really impressed by what they're doing so far and look forward to more in time. I like the photographer prospect.

Kinda sucks we don't play on the same platform--you definitely sound like someone it'd be fun to run around making easy cash with, ha.

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 14, 2019

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I'll be trying to migrate to the one true platform, PC, eventually within the next couple months I think. We can meet there partner 🤠

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

KoRMaK posted:

I'll be trying to migrate to the one true platform, PC, eventually within the next couple months I think. We can meet there partner 🤠

Unfortunately we can't, because I can't afford a PC right now, especially one that can run this. It's a long story, but recovering from losing everything last year, still, and just can't spring for a PC to play my beloved Cowboy Sim with Goonpals.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

KoRMaK posted:

I made $500 in like 2 hours by just letting my horse take me to destinations. It was very chill. Then I ugpraded to an arabian and got to places faster.

Yeah the horse auto-run makes it a really easy way to grind money/XP. I just let it run while watching TV shows or youtube on my laptop. :)

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qD_La2F6bk

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I liked this weeks Bounty challenge but I wish there was a way to flip the script at the end and join up with the anarchist to take out a wealthy industrialist or the governor or something. The capture the tower game was fun though. Stupid chair got in the way when I tried to tie him up the first time and he oneshotted me.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Another Bill posted:

I liked this weeks Bounty challenge but I wish there was a way to flip the script at the end and join up with the anarchist to take out a wealthy industrialist or the governor or something.
So many times I wish I could triple or quadruple cross

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

let me dress like Orville Peck, Rockstar you cowards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60MHmrtEuRY

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Oct 15, 2019

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Babe Magnet posted:

let me dress like Orville Peck, Rockstar you cowards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60MHmrtEuRY

STRONGLY AGREED. Peck is fuckin' awesome and so are his outfits.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yee (and I cannot stress this enough) haw

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I am becoming convinced that I don't understand how bait works in this game or something. I had luck with it in the single player, but online, I must be doing something wrong. Or maybe I am getting impatient too early or something. I just know that I put it in spots near cougars and panthers and wind up attracting neither. Tips?

I mean, i like nabbing big cats for Cripps, but there's gotta be a better method than waiting for one to attack and then hoping your panic shot hits its face and not the body.

ICMB
May 28, 2003
Iron Chef MonkeyButt

Jandipoo posted:

Make sure you have the metal detector and shovel, as a lot of the collectibles require them.

Ok, so I do have the shovel, but I don't have the metal detector because I'm not high enough level.

However last night my controller started vibrating and after looking around I finally noticed a lump on the ground which I was able to dig up, so that's at least one part of it solved.

Maybe I'll just use that map and get enough ranks to get the detector. I could use some more loot after spending a lot on my trading equipment. Last night I just got on the wagon and wandered the map, shooting and skinning anything I found (and putting the best unskinned carcasses on the wagon). Very chill. Not terribly productive but satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

ICMB posted:

Ok, so I do have the shovel, but I don't have the metal detector because I'm not high enough level.

However last night my controller started vibrating and after looking around I finally noticed a lump on the ground which I was able to dig up, so that's at least one part of it solved.

Maybe I'll just use that map and get enough ranks to get the detector. I could use some more loot after spending a lot on my trading equipment. Last night I just got on the wagon and wandered the map, shooting and skinning anything I found (and putting the best unskinned carcasses on the wagon). Very chill. Not terribly productive but satisfying.

Yeah, you can dig up certain stuff w/o the detector (one good spot is on the shore by the docks in Blackwater, for example, or kind of across from Flatneck, by the tree). However, I THINK coins--the most profitable--will always require a metal detector