Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Beach Bum posted:

Thank you thread, just threw another recommendation for SB6141 and TP-Link AC1750 at my father now that he's in his own place again.

Meanwhile my own SB6141 is still quietly chugging along right beside my "fancy" ASUS RT-N66U. Having purchased both items back in 2013, when should I start looking at replacement? The SB6183 is on sale right now for less than the 6141.

I usually don't upgrade until I'm having a problem with my current stuff or new stuff has a feature I want. On comcast I've still got the SB6120 which is fine for the bandwidth I'm using there. If I want a different package or it becomes a problem I have a 6183 in a box I bought refurbished a year or two back for $50. For routers I think the only thing you're missing out on is AC wifi which can be higher bandwidth than N, but if you're not doing a lot of data moving around on wifi it's not necessary. If you are then it may be worth thinking about an upgrade.

There's going to be some new WiFi stuff available soon that might be worth upgrading for if you get some devices that need it like 802.11ax for radios and WPA3 for security, but implementation is slow and security issues have already been found in WPA3 that I'm sure they're working on.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11ax
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WPA3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I wanted to pick up an AC Pro or Nano HD but I am 100% waiting on the ax stuff (plus a revision, since Ubiquiti)

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Beach Bum posted:

Thank you thread, just threw another recommendation for SB6141 and TP-Link AC1750 at my father now that he's in his own place again.

Meanwhile my own SB6141 is still quietly chugging along right beside my "fancy" ASUS RT-N66U. Having purchased both items back in 2013, when should I start looking at replacement? The SB6183 is on sale right now for less than the 6141.

Why not get the 6183 and toss him your old 6141?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

astral posted:

Why not get the 6183 and toss him your old 6141?

Heavy budgeting to reduce debt at the moment.

Of course now I bet my 6141 will fail as soon as the sale ends :argh:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I forgot to mention that the best feature on the 6183 is the option to turn off those blindingly bright LEDs.

Beach Bum posted:

Heavy budgeting to reduce debt at the moment.

Of course now I bet my 6141 will fail as soon as the sale ends :argh:

Ah, best of luck.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

I have a spare 6183 sitting around somewhere that I could ship next week. Shoot me a PM if you’re interested.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

astral posted:

I forgot to mention that the best feature on the 6183 is the option to turn off those blindingly bright LEDs.

Wait what :stare: ah gently caress me if I'd known that...

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 14, 2019

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Beach Bum posted:

Wait what :stare: ah gently caress me if I'd known that...

Same. I also noticed there’s an option to just turn the blue indicators to a less-blinding yellow, instead of just disabling all the lights.

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
I saw that TP-Link released some Walmart only available Wifi 6 routers that are actually pretty low in price and probably (if they work well) are "good enough" for a lot of people. The $70 is probably the better option, even though it does not have a USB port. The $129 one seems a little beefier, but what devices can take advantage of all of that... speed? Kind of confusing to wade through the mess of routers lately.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/TP-Link-Archer-AX1500-Wi-Fi-6-Dual-Band-Router-Up-to-1-5-Gbps-Speeds-1-5-GHz-Tri-Core-CPU/584566855

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

BTW, the easy solution to excessively bright lights is electrical tape.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

peepsalot posted:

That's precisely what my dad said about it when I asked if he'd already bought the 6183

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

So it looks like I have to turn my Raspberry PI into a LTE router and roll an "unlimited" plan on T mobile.

I live in the Los Angeles metro and my super old land lady doesn't tolerate wires on the outside of the complex or I'd just get Spectrum. It's a great time.

Anyway, I am looking at LTE USB dongles to shove onto my Raspberry PI and the options are largely ZTE and Huawei which I am not thrilled about. Any recommendations?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You're going to get throttled to hell and T-Mobile will probably cancel your service.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Goodpancakes posted:

I live in the Los Angeles metro and my super old land lady doesn't tolerate wires on the outside of the complex or I'd just get Spectrum. It's a great time.

You say complex - is this an apartment? She's required to grant you access to do things like put up a dish or get cabletv or a telephone line. This isn't up to her. If it's a private residence where you rent a room then I could see her argument.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Find someone across the street with decent internet and do a wireless point-to-point shot, then pay them half their bill.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

H110Hawk posted:

You say complex - is this an apartment? She's required to grant you access to do things like put up a dish or get cabletv or a telephone line. This isn't up to her. If it's a private residence where you rent a room then I could see her argument.

She lives in an upper back unit on top of six other units. Where does that land her responsibility here?

TMO does 30 gigs before throttling which will meet my watching terrible shows on Netflix on a monthly basis. I have no other internet options

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Goodpancakes posted:

She lives in an upper back unit on top of six other units. Where does that land her responsibility here?

TMO does 30 gigs before throttling which will meet my watching terrible shows on Netflix on a monthly basis. I have no other internet options

Pretty sure she's SOL unless you are literally sharing a house with her. If it's 6 apartments and she happens to occupy one I believe she has to grant you access. What do the two providers (Frontier/ATT or "Spectrum" / TWC-Charter-Cast) say when you call to add service?

Who is your local incumbent phone provider, ATT or Frontier? If it's ATT you might poke the hornets nest and see what "uverse" speeds you can get with their vDSL system. If it's agreeable, switch to needing a real landline telephone line. Copper to the pole. I would also sign up for DirecTV.

Thanks Ants posted:

Find someone across the street with decent internet and do a wireless point-to-point shot, then pay them half their bill.

This is a great option but lacks the spite. Heck, at that point become a WISP for the building and offer her service for over double the price of everyone else to subsidize it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

H110Hawk posted:

Is that a CA/LA thing?

Because...it's definitely not true everywhere.

(I manage a bunch of apartment buildings)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Is that a CA/LA thing?

Because...it's definitely not true everywhere.

(I manage a bunch of apartment buildings)

It's a CA thing to my knowledge: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=CIV&sectionNum=1941.4 - Get a phone line. Seriously. Expect to be non-renewed on your lease. :v:

If you have a porch/balcony/etc get DirecTV service: https://www.fcc.gov/media/over-air-reception-devices-rule

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Anyone here using Wireguard for personal VPNs on Android? Do I want a keep-alive value or not? The docs say it's for NAT and such. But after periods of inactivity, the phone seems to poo poo itself because the connection went down intermittently while it was in my pocket, then takes ages to re-establish the connection. I have it set to always-on in Android for adblocking with my Pi Hole at home and to access my home automation and Octoprint server.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

peepsalot posted:

That doesn't work well on older Surfboards, because the cases have a lot of ventilation, the front panel LEDs are set back from the panel, and they're so bright you get a strong (and blinking) nightlight effect through the vents even after you cover up the front panel.

The solution is to crack open the case and put something opaque over the LEDs on the board itself. Electrical tape didn't do it on mine but adhesive putty worked nicely. Or, just throw the whole thing in a cabinet.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
So TP Link has cheap AX stuff and the new Google Nest Wifi stuff is still AC.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So here's a stupid issue I am having perhaps y'all can help with, as I am pretty network-stupid.

I have AT&T Fiber, with the Arris BGW210-700 it came with. So that router is dual band for wireless, and does some sort of wizardry that picks the best frequency based on the strength of the signal a device is getting. This means they want you to leave the SSIDs for both 2.4 and 5ghz to be the same, so devices just see ONE network and get whichever frequency is better for the situation. They so strongly want you to do this that the config app complains LOUDLY when you make them different that you "ARE MISSING OUT ON BUILT IN AMAZING FEATURES OF THIS ROUTER ARE YOU SURE?!??!?" That's all well and good, except...

Last night I installed an ecobee4 smart thermostat - mostly because I feel like I'm not sending my fair share of data to China like a good citizen. And I can't get it to connect to wi-fi. It only connects to 2.4 and can't even see 5. Ergo - it no connect.

Solutions I googled and tried, which did NOT work:

- disable the 5ghz radio . (when I did this NO device could see a network at all. Tried updating the SSID to something else - no dice)
- set different SSIDs for 2.4 & 5 . (again - no device could see either network)
- ecobee offers the option to use an iOS device to configure it. So I tried this and just got "no compatible networks found".
- complete manual config on the ecobee: entered SSID, address, subnet mask, DNS, etc etc. Nothing. Can't find the network

So here we are. Thermostat working fine - but without wi-fi, which kind limits its usefulness a good bit. Suggestions?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

HaB posted:

So here's a stupid issue I am having perhaps y'all can help with, as I am pretty network-stupid.

I have AT&T Fiber, with the Arris BGW210-700 it came with. So that router is dual band for wireless, and does some sort of wizardry that picks the best frequency based on the strength of the signal a device is getting. This means they want you to leave the SSIDs for both 2.4 and 5ghz to be the same, so devices just see ONE network and get whichever frequency is better for the situation. They so strongly want you to do this that the config app complains LOUDLY when you make them different that you "ARE MISSING OUT ON BUILT IN AMAZING FEATURES OF THIS ROUTER ARE YOU SURE?!??!?" That's all well and good, except...

Last night I installed an ecobee4 smart thermostat - mostly because I feel like I'm not sending my fair share of data to China like a good citizen. And I can't get it to connect to wi-fi. It only connects to 2.4 and can't even see 5. Ergo - it no connect.

Solutions I googled and tried, which did NOT work:

- disable the 5ghz radio . (when I did this NO device could see a network at all. Tried updating the SSID to something else - no dice)
- set different SSIDs for 2.4 & 5 . (again - no device could see either network)
- ecobee offers the option to use an iOS device to configure it. So I tried this and just got "no compatible networks found".
- complete manual config on the ecobee: entered SSID, address, subnet mask, DNS, etc etc. Nothing. Can't find the network

So here we are. Thermostat working fine - but without wi-fi, which kind limits its usefulness a good bit. Suggestions?

It sounds like your router is broken, as the 2.4ghz radio isn't working. Contact AT&T and get them to send you a new router.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

HaB posted:

Definitely tell AT&T you need a tech to bring out a new gateway.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Previously, ISPs have always run PPPoE to handle the connection between my home router and their network. Now, AT&T is giving me an address that's part of a /22 CIDR. Subnet mask on my broadband connection is 255.255.252.0.

Does this mean I'm on the same subnet as ~1k other AT&T customers directly? Isn't this not desired behavior, usually ISPs limit the broadcast domain to each customer? Are they likely to be doing some type of unusual filtering at the default gateway so that I'm not able to do bad stuff to other customers on the same subnet?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I wouldn't worry about it - you won't be able to static assign someone else's IP address and deny them service, and all the other IPs are going to be public on the outside of people's routers - so no less secure than when they were getting IP addresses from PPPoE. You lose the 8 byte overhead on every packet as well.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

n0tqu1tesane posted:

It sounds like your router is broken, as the 2.4ghz radio isn't working. Contact AT&T and get them to send you a new router.

H2SO4 posted:

Definitely tell AT&T you need a tech to bring out a new gateway.

Just got off a chat with AT&T and they confirmed I need a new router. Arriving tomorrow.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
If anyone needs a batman looking AX router, Costco has a seemingly good deal on the Nighthawk AX8 AX5700 dealio for $200.

https://slickdeals.net/f/13460680-netgear-nighthawk-ax8-ax5700-dual-band-wi-fi-6-router-199-199-99

https://www.costco.com/.product.1346200.html

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
I mean, nobody needs a WiFi 6 router yet. Unless you really want to show off your iphone 11/Galaxy S10 for some reason, i don't know if there are any other client devices that actually implement it yet.

eames
May 9, 2009

Is there a technical reason or limitation why DOCSIS 3.0 cable connections always seem to have such low upload bandwidths or is this just ISPs being stingy?

My ISP recently upgraded me from 100/15 to 200/20 and the increase in download bandwidth is not noticeable for the things I do. OTOH a few more megabits upload certainly would be nice for cloud storage and backup. The next plan up would be 300/30 but at almost double the cost.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

H2SO4 posted:

I mean, nobody needs a WiFi 6 router yet. Unless you really want to show off your iphone 11/Galaxy S10 for some reason, i don't know if there are any other client devices that actually implement it yet.

The Pixel 4 and Surface Pro 7 / Surface Laptop 3 are out next week and support WiFi 6. Not much outside of that though it's true.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

eames posted:

Is there a technical reason or limitation why DOCSIS 3.0 cable connections always seem to have such low upload bandwidths or is this just ISPs being stingy?

My ISP recently upgraded me from 100/15 to 200/20 and the increase in download bandwidth is not noticeable for the things I do. OTOH a few more megabits upload certainly would be nice for cloud storage and backup. The next plan up would be 300/30 but at almost double the cost.

It's technical. The outside plant (amplifiers, taps, etc) is constructed to split the frequencies/channels that can be used for upstream vs downstream at a certain point. The higher frequencies above the split are used for downstream and those below the split for upstream. Most existing cable plant has a "low split" so there are only a handful of upstream channels available vs dozens of downstream channels.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I have a TP-Link AC1900 wifi router and I recently upgraded my Internet service - problem is my wifi can't keep up. When I use ethernet, I get 270 mbps but the best I have done with wifi is 100 mbps and the average is 80 mbps.

I upgraded the firmware and reset my router to factory settings but I don't know what else can be done to improve my wireless speed.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

clockworkjoe posted:

I have a TP-Link AC1900 wifi router and I recently upgraded my Internet service - problem is my wifi can't keep up. When I use ethernet, I get 270 mbps but the best I have done with wifi is 100 mbps and the average is 80 mbps.

I upgraded the firmware and reset my router to factory settings but I don't know what else can be done to improve my wireless speed.

What's the wireless ecosystem like in your area? Lots of wifi networks around? Walls between your devices and the wifi router?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Actuarial Fables posted:

What's the wireless ecosystem like in your area? Lots of wifi networks around? Walls between your devices and the wifi router?

I count at least 10 other networks in range - I live in a suburban neighborhood. There are walls between my desktop PC and my router but I have a laptop and I've tested it right next to the router and its still at 100 mbps at most.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I'm gonna get started with 10 GbE networking. I have an Aquantia 10Gbase-T NIC on my mobo (Z390 Taichi ultimate), I need a network adapter for my server and probably a SFP+ module for it.

Looking at the Supermicro AOC-STGN-I2S Rev 2.0 (Intel NIC for compatibility on BSDs) and one of these dealies.

If I am using the SFP+ module there, do I need a crossover cable/crossover adapter as well, or is the SFP+ module smart enough to handle that?

What do people think of the Mikrotik switches? They have that SFP+ four-port (+1 gbit port) dealie. I'm not sure it's an amazing quality unit but for $125 the price is right. Or there's the 9-port version for $250, or the other one is that QNAP 12-port for $550 (where 8 of the ports can also be RJ45).

The QNAP has fans vs the passive cooling on Mikrotik, but that might keep it from dying (I've heard a lot of reports of consumer-grade 10GbE switches cooking themselves in a year or two). But I guess at $130 if it dies in a year or two that's a reasonable risk vs paying 4 times as much for the QNAP.

eames
May 9, 2009

SamDabbers posted:

It's technical. The outside plant (amplifiers, taps, etc) is constructed to split the frequencies/channels that can be used for upstream vs downstream at a certain point. The higher frequencies above the split are used for downstream and those below the split for upstream. Most existing cable plant has a "low split" so there are only a handful of upstream channels available vs dozens of downstream channels.

Thanks for the explanation. I saw that wikipedia mentions DOCSIS 4 supporting symmetrical bandwidths, so hopefully that'll change over time. Going from 100 to 200 Mbit was barely noticeable but getting the same bandwidth upstream would make cloud storage and backup services a lot more useful.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Does anyone have any recommendations for (Ikea) furniture to install my consumer level networking equipment? I have a small router/modem, a Synology ds218j NAS and a Raspberry Pi that's currently just laying in a corner on the ground. I was thinking of something like this but I'm uncertain about if my cables will fit through that gap in the back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Looks like there's a gap behind the shelf and then a hole in the bottom, so I'd say you will be fine for cabling.