Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OZP4pXfd-g

I don't usually watch Mysterious Mr Enter because I think he takes cartoons a mite too seriously, but I caught this video since he's talking about what Extra Credits has become. Yikes has it changed over the years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

All I know about that dude is he's the guy who was insanely mad about Teen Titans Go

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Arist posted:

All I know about that dude is he's the guy who was insanely mad about Teen Titans Go

he's so angry about everything new and it's hilarious

isn't he also the one who talked about how the 'homer badman' simpsons episode resonated with him because what if he, a mighty youtuber, was accused and lost his empire?!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Mr Enter has like big A autism or something if I remember right, so I've always been kind of put off from getting onto them much, along with having seen KF shitters target them before.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Yardbomb posted:

Mr Enter has like big A autism or something if I remember right, so I've always been kind of put off from getting onto them much, along with having seen KF shitters target them before.

oh that would actually make a lot of things make sense and yea makes his hyperfixations a lot less funny if it's just an actual autistic dude using youtube as a vent.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I wasn't surprised by Extra Credits being kind of trash, since I remember bouncing off of them back when they were at the Escapist a long time ago. What finally did it was an episode defending Gamification as a revolutionary thing (totally never done before in education or HR, what a great thing video games brought to the world) and an overall good thing. I still remember their positive examples. They cheered on the idea of letting shelf stockers level up through scanning products to improve performance and satisfaction...yeah. And they also suggested having an app that gave a person with a broken leg points for quests, like calling their friend for emotional support. I was struck by how loving sad it was and what it said about gamers as a whole if we needed imaginary points to convince us to call a friend if we were feeling lonely.

Their video on why games should be more than $60 was pure, unfiltered corporate bootlicking.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

remember when Nick Robinson was soft boy smol bean number 1 major general of purity for the sole reason of... being adjacent to the other soft boy smol bean number 1 major general of purity griffin mcelroy? and then it turns out the guy tweeting about going to fakku parties and poo poo turned out to be a creepy weirdo?

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Is this another one of those "Louis CK joked about masturbation a lot so it was obvious he's a creep" things?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Extra Credits is to corporations as Heavens Gate was to Alien Jesus.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm just glad Dan left the show. Play Frame is really good and he doesn't have to keep reciting scripts written by that creep lead writer EC has.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm just glad Dan left the show. Play Frame is really good and he doesn't have to keep reciting scripts written by that creep lead writer EC has.

i remember watching the extra frames thing on the secondary channel and thinking "you could make an entire thing out of this" and so he did. very rad

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Waffles Inc. posted:

fully eye rolling at any cis person pulling a “settle down beavis” on trans people upset with Natalie especially from the too cool crowd

im trans am i allowed to eyeroll at you for the dumb thing

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

sexpig by night posted:

he's so angry about everything new and it's hilarious

isn't he also the one who talked about how the 'homer badman' simpsons episode resonated with him because what if he, a mighty youtuber, was accused and lost his empire?!

He at least said the Goode family should have been made later because the modern "PC" deserve that kind of portrayal but not the hippies.

Iambic Pentameter
Sep 21, 2017

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I wasn't surprised by Extra Credits being kind of trash, since I remember bouncing off of them back when they were at the Escapist a long time ago. What finally did it was an episode defending Gamification as a revolutionary thing (totally never done before in education or HR, what a great thing video games brought to the world) and an overall good thing. I still remember their positive examples. They cheered on the idea of letting shelf stockers level up through scanning products to improve performance and satisfaction...yeah. And they also suggested having an app that gave a person with a broken leg points for quests, like calling their friend for emotional support. I was struck by how loving sad it was and what it said about gamers as a whole if we needed imaginary points to convince us to call a friend if we were feeling lonely.

Their video on why games should be more than $60 was pure, unfiltered corporate bootlicking.

What did it for me was their appraisal of F2P games, collection games, lootboxes, etc. I actually think F2P is fine if it’s like Dota where it’s entirely cosmetic and has no impact on the gameplay, but they specifically called out that kind of system as bad and how you should be paying for an advantage. Unbelievably sleazy poo poo

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

BigRed0427 posted:

I would like to delete my twitter as well, but I feel like thats still the best way to be a part of the larger trans community and what not.

Honestly the twitter trans community is pretty not great. Obviously I don’t mean that every trans person on Twitter is bad but there’s a lot of prominent voices with very loud toxic ideas. Talking to trans people I know irl have given me an infinitely larger sense of community than twitter has

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I used to follow Extra Credits, then forgot to make time to keep up with their videos, and now I guess I'm relieved to find out I wasn't missing anything. I thought their Extra History project was a good idea, and the first few videos seem promising, but there's only so much I can trust corporate apologists like them not to lie to me.

What history channels would you all recommend instead?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Potential History is good but only really covers vehicles in the WW1 to WW2 time period.

History Buffs is pretty good but specifically focused on movies.

Most of the straight history guys do podcasts rather than youtube videos. In that genre I'd say Revolutions and Inward Empire are by far the best.

There is also a dedicated thread for these those sort of podcasts though its OP is woefully out of date.

If you have patience for longer form college lecture type deals most of the Great Courses sets are on audible and fairly good. Leaving aside the occasional professor with a weird pet theory.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

watho posted:

Honestly the twitter trans community is pretty not great. Obviously I don’t mean that every trans person on Twitter is bad but there’s a lot of prominent voices with very loud toxic ideas. Talking to trans people I know irl have given me an infinitely larger sense of community than twitter has

my experience has been that all twitter communities are a burning tire fire and we'd all just be so much better off without it

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Waffles Inc. posted:

no big deal just someone bring who Contra had do a voice in her vid

https://twitter.com/dahold/status/1183895293672202240?s=21

like legit we are at the point where more alarming than Contra herself are the other thread superstar you tubers who haven’t even meekly said “hmm um Natalie uh?”

This is what I mean by Natalie throwing portons of the transcommunity and transpeople under the bus, but I was dismissed as being hyperbolic.

This is the trans equivalent of some liberal inviting a known race realist on their show to talk, it's bullshit and Natalie should know better by now.

Edit:

Buck Angel outed Lana wachowski, for money what a piece of poo poo on top of being a trans medicalist

Ash Crimson fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Oct 15, 2019

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

my experience has been that all twitter communities are a burning tire fire and we'd all just be so much better off without it

Honestly the best way to twitter, if you dont want to delete your account, is take everything as a joke. All the drama and idiots yelling about how the other is the baddest does not deserve to be taken any more seriously than a crazy person yelling on the streets.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

There's still plenty of good posters on Twitter. The trick is pruning out the ones who get excessively angry or depressing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the best way to twitter, is to not twitter at all

anyways, holy moly, I've seen some garbage anime in my time, but this one that I'd not heard of until this video really takes the cake. Geoff and Yazy break down "Wolf Girl and Black Prince", an actively hateful anime portraying textbook abusive relationships as a good thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfk-9PHQUpc&hd=1

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

an actively hateful anime portraying textbook abusive relationships as a good thing

I think thats like half of anime shows in existence

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Junpei Hyde posted:

im trans am i allowed to eyeroll at you for the dumb thing

yes of course

look the whole thing is that if I were asked by a friend to, say, lay down a track on an album and then that friend also recorded a track with someone deeply loving lovely I would maybe, maybe be a bit upset and angry about it

the alternative is that everyone else who collaborated on the video was told about everyone else and then others still lended their voices despite people like Buck Angel being one of them

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

stratofarius posted:

gently caress, share me your secrets. I'd love to put an end to 'X liked this' tweets.

make sure the timeline is always 'latest tweets', if you see 'x liked this' click the thing on the top right and choose 'see less of this' and block the account of every single promoted tweet you see and you eventually end up with just people you actually follow. you have to actively work to keep it hygienic like this because we live in hell

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

fatherboxx posted:

I think thats like half of anime shows in existence
predictable response, but no

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I guess that explains why Dan Bell was giddy as poo poo this weekend, i thought her latest vid would just have a shoutout and not a whole segment devoted to it.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

stratofarius posted:

gently caress, share me your secrets. I'd love to put an end to 'X liked this' tweets.

you can also mute these phrases in content preferences to get rid of a lot of the annoying stuff:

suggest_recycled_tweet_inline

suggest_activity_tweet

You still have to constantly set it back to "latest tweets" instead of "home", but at least it gets rid of seeing everyone's likes.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Waffles Inc. posted:

yes of course

look the whole thing is that if I were asked by a friend to, say, lay down a track on an album and then that friend also recorded a track with someone deeply loving lovely I would maybe, maybe be a bit upset and angry about it

the alternative is that everyone else who collaborated on the video was told about everyone else and then others still lended their voices despite people like Buck Angel being one of them

To pull an example from my own life, I was asked to make a remix for someone I know is transphobic and has some cryptofash views. He is way more popular than me and probably the biggest name in the niche scene so I can’t really afford to get on his bad side.

I wish that I would’ve refused but I accepted the offer and just bitched about it to some friends

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Captain Invictus posted:

predictable response, but no

You're right, rounded up its easily much closer to 2/3 :smugdog:

Speaking of relationship, YT recced this older video about Fallout New Vegas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9knGHiTIeZo

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

watho posted:

To pull an example from my own life, I was asked to make a remix for someone I know is transphobic and has some cryptofash views. He is way more popular than me and probably the biggest name in the niche scene so I can’t really afford to get on his bad side.

I wish that I would’ve refused but I accepted the offer and just bitched about it to some friends

I’m really sorry you had to go through that 😞 those sorts of choices are really tough

If you don’t mind my saying so I think there is a world of difference (based on scale and influence) between that and this, though

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Solitair posted:

What history channels would you all recommend instead?

Watch The Great War or World War 2 channels. They cover the entire war on a week by week basis.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The Great War is fantastic and explained a ton of stuff that I'd never heard even vaguely mentioned before. Plus it made it easy enough to understand for even a dumbass like me.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

watho posted:

Yeah I left that community because social media basically signal boosts any rear end in a top hat who's loud enough

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Solitair posted:

That 4DX thing sounds like the most obnoxious way to watch a movie ever.

I did it once. The worst part is the strobe lights yes. But there isnt enough hatred for those drat mist sprayers that surprise you right in the neck.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Waffles Inc. posted:

I’m really sorry you had to go through that 😞 those sorts of choices are really tough

If you don’t mind my saying so I think there is a world of difference (based on scale and influence) between that and this, though

Oh yeah for sure but as the scale increases so does the incentives to just “suck it up”. That’s why allegations usually comes in waves, one person finally speaks up and the rest who have kept quiet sees it as an opportunity to finally say what they’ve wanted to. I’m not trying to equate contra’s misconduct to the me too movement or anything like that I’m just saying that the more popular a person gets the harsher the punishment for speaking up against them is. Especially if they’re a smaller creator who will be seen as “jealous”

A lot of the people who are considered “good” have collaborated with horrible people in the past and have since spoken out about it, don’t assume that everyone who appears in the same video agree on everything (but seriously gently caress contra for having buck angel or her video)

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

contra having buck angel collaborate with her is potentially the thing that makes me stop giving her the benefit of the doubt. i've had my issues with her before but was willing to believe she had the right ideas and was just really poo poo at taking criticism, but this is a giant red flag.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

watho posted:

Oh yeah for sure but as the scale increases so does the incentives to just “suck it up”. That’s why allegations usually comes in waves, one person finally speaks up and the rest who have kept quiet sees it as an opportunity to finally say what they’ve wanted to. I’m not trying to equate contra’s misconduct to the me too movement or anything like that I’m just saying that the more popular a person gets the harsher the punishment for speaking up against them is. Especially if they’re a smaller creator who will be seen as “jealous”

A lot of the people who are considered “good” have collaborated with horrible people in the past and have since spoken out about it, don’t assume that everyone who appears in the same video agree on everything (but seriously gently caress contra for having buck angel or her video)

imo it goes beyond the pale when she goes on twitter to shout him out for a big up, that's more active promotion than association at that point and I think it's why people are reacting more vocally now than when the video was first released

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/PhilosophyTube/status/1183503963603263493

Joking about "cancellation" in the face of a lot of valid criticism is in really bad taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

SimonChris posted:

https://twitter.com/PhilosophyTube/status/1183503963603263493

Joking about "cancellation" in the face of a lot of valid criticism is in really bad taste.

they’re all starting to tell on themselves