Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Gruul aggro-ish is fast enough to have a decent matchup with field and oko. Norns talked me around on running embercleave as a backbreaker.
Questcleave is my current favorite play in standard. "Your guy dies and you take nine" is where I want to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Doltos posted:

God that was the worst too with all those Esper mirror match snore fests over and over

will the golos mirrors be better?

i guess with sideboarding they will be

cams
Mar 28, 2003

they're not banning anything, and instead are just doing emergency reprints of strip mine, wasteland, and stone rain

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I'd like a tectonic edge with only tap as a cost you can only active if they have 5 and 2 more lands than you.

Or maybe it's fair at 4, don't know, but tectonic edge is a beautiful card.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The spiciest lists in the entire MCV are like, 3 Mardu Knights decks

Also I hate that they're going with the superbowl roman numeral system especially since M and C are already both roman numerals

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cams posted:

they're not banning anything, and instead are just doing emergency reprints of strip mine, wasteland, and stone rain

From the Vault: Fracking

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I really don't get why redditors are so obsessed with brawl being non-rotating. Just what I always wanted, a format where I'll see Teferi every day for the rest of my life.

zoux posted:

Also I hate that they're going with the superbowl roman numeral system especially since M and C are already both roman numerals
I was trying to figure out why that was tweaking my brain and you got it

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
My favourite band is The Project Hate MCV.

e: Not to be confused with The Project Hate SCV, my favourite Starcraft II skin.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 14, 2019

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Man, I keep getting absolutely shithoused when I try to grind up my best of 1 gold drafts. Are there any goon-approved sources of how to be less awful?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

cams posted:

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I keep reading it as MCU and think “ah, gently caress, not another crossover”

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

axeil posted:

Can we please get human drafts so it's not "abuse the bots: the game"?

:yeah:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
yeah I don't think I'm going to draft until the next bot update. fighting people with 4-5 secretkeepers is maddening

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

flatluigi posted:

yeah I don't think I'm going to draft until the next bot update. fighting people with 4-5 secretkeepers is maddening

it's easy, you just gotta have a plan against it

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I dunno if your plan of playing bronze players while in gold is one that will be easily deployed

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

just maindeck 2-3 Forever Young. its a good card anyways

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

flatluigi posted:

I did a bunch of drafts today and while I think it’s possible to draft a good deck that isn’t UB or GB it’s soooo easy to be one of those things it’s hard to not go that direction

Way too easy to come up a bit short as aggro, and there aren’t many good ways to get ahead other than perfect draws. All the card advantage is in black and blue

All made worse because secret keeper being an 0/4 that mills 4 is absurd and the bots treat them a step above basic lands

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Magnetic North posted:

Man, I keep getting absolutely shithoused when I try to grind up my best of 1 gold drafts. Are there any goon-approved sources of how to be less awful?

Go watch a bunch of Ben Stark streams on Twitch

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Magnetic North posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/bens_mtg
https://www.twitch.tv/mistermetronome
https://www.twitch.tv/lordtupperware
https://www.twitch.tv/deathsie
https://www.twitch.tv/msigrist83

Lords of Limited Podcast
Limited Resources Podcast

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

flatluigi posted:

Yeah everyone's going it. Not even fun right now, just a ton of brutal losses.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
How does crafting Seven Dwarves work? Do you get the other 3 when you craft 4 (like how you get infinite Persistent Peitioners / Rat Colony) or do you need to craft all 7 of them? I'm a little low on common wildcards in fact.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

whoever said Eldrane draft is slow wasn't kidding, even in Bo1. It has been fun so far though, currently running a mono-b deck that's doing quite well.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

How does crafting Seven Dwarves work? Do you get the other 3 when you craft 4 (like how you get infinite Persistent Peitioners / Rat Colony) or do you need to craft all 7 of them? I'm a little low on common wildcards in fact.

If you have 4, you can put up to 7 in a deck. You do not need to craft the last three copies.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Really cool that people are playing golos fields in the causal play mode when I'm trying to get my free wins in for the day as a new player. You really get taken new player pool fast.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Blendy posted:

Really cool that people are playing golos fields in the causal play mode when I'm trying to get my free wins in for the day as a new player. You really get taken new player pool fast.
It's weird, because I put together a silly rhino deck (think featherless gruul-feather) today and it put me with near starter decks and other tomfoolery rather than real opponents for a good ten or so games.

It's possible the new player pool includes people who just whale it up I guess.

beedub
Jul 21, 2003

Just landed Teferi into Veil of Summer in game 3 against Simic Flash and closed the game for the night. It's not going to get better than that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Seems like a lot of new players in the last few days, are y'all leaving HS over the HK stuff or getting into it just because. Are they doing any marketing now that the game's in release?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Squinky v2.0 posted:

I did a bunch of drafts today and while I think it’s possible to draft a good deck that isn’t UB or GB it’s soooo easy to be one of those things it’s hard to not go that direction

Way too easy to come up a bit short as aggro, and there aren’t many good ways to get ahead other than perfect draws. All the card advantage is in black and blue

All made worse because secret keeper being an 0/4 that mills 4 is absurd and the bots treat them a step above basic lands

My two attempts to go into red were miserable failures with 0 and 1 wins a piece. then I drafted an absolute monster of a mono black deck and went 7-1. The bots are making it impossible to have interesting drafts as there's really no penalty for committing to a color that is getting taken because there are so many good to extremely good blue or black cards.

The format is absurdly slow though. I had a single bo1 match take almost an hour.

axeil fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Oct 15, 2019

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I somehow, SOMEHOW went 7-2 with a R/W aggro deck with one piece of removal (outmaneuver) and one bomb (Outlaw's Merriment) which only came out in one game.
After starting 2-2 and thinking I drafted another trash deck beat 3 mill decks, including one that went T1 Secret Keeper T2 Folio of Fancies then beat a Knight Deck to finish out.
My 2 Ardenvale Tacticians and 2 Silverflame Squires made up for the lack of removal.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m pivoting from Gruul hard into Golgari adventures, this deck seems very cool and I would rather craft Rankles than Oko for now.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
FFS game stop auto passing through the opponent's end step when I have a trebuchet untapped.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Dimir mill has been a ton of fun today. Probably going to lose more than I win in the long game, but I’m like 5/1 today. Drown in the Loch is wicked powerful when there is 36 cards in the opp yard

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The most interesting competitive Magic event I've watched has been the Mythic Invitational, that had production values and moved pretty well.

Everything else has not met the minimum standard of spectator sports, paper is completely unwatchable and the MPL as a weekly broadcast seems pretty pointless to follow, I'm better watching individual pros on their streams and VODs

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Rankle is a really good card and I feel like people slept on it

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The most interesting competitive Magic event I've watched has been the Mythic Invitational, that had production values and moved pretty well.

Everything else has not met the minimum standard of spectator sports, paper is completely unwatchable and the MPL as a weekly broadcast seems pretty pointless to follow, I'm better watching individual pros on their streams and VODs

The invitational was kind of good except for the awful games and embarrassing pyrotechnics and some of the commentary. Also the live brass band next door drowning them out

The best watching moment since I started playing again when arena came back was in paper when LSV was feigning grabbing a token and instead had settle the wreckage

Homers BBBq
Mar 11, 2008
Do they ever restrict cards anymore? or just ban? Restricting Field to one might be a way to balance the meta without completely killing the Golos deck. Making one or two zombies a turn is lot more reasonable than when you get multiples and get to make 6, 8 or even 12 a turn. It would also make the deck more about what you can activate off Golos ability which is more interesting IMO.

Also, I was watching Ben S stream last night and had to remind myself that Bo1 draft is high variance so I stay sane. He drafted a pretty good WG adventure deck with lucky clover and went 0-3. Game 1 he went against 3 revenge of ravens and still almost won (one point short). Game 2 he lost to embercleave. Game 3 I don't recall but even a good deck can go 0-3. I drafted Boros knights over the weekend after p1p1 getting Outlaw's Merriment and went 5-3. I think my list was a little better than the one posted earlier that was 7-2 because I had more removal and a lucky clover but sometimes you just run into good draws or get mana screwed. I also got run over by a mono white artifact deck with that aura that gives +1/+1 for each artifact/enchantment. It was shockingly good.

One cool interaction was to ping with that trebuchet card, then play the adventure that makes a 2/2 knight with clover in play. With full control I would ping, let the first copy resolve, ping again, let the second copy resolve, ping again end of turn. I had two of the trebuchet but never get both out unfortunately. Still fun.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m pivoting from Gruul hard into Golgari adventures, this deck seems very cool and I would rather craft Rankles than Oko for now.

It's a sweet deck (I definitely want to craft one), but how is its matchup against simic? It seems unfavored to me, and simic looks to be huge in the meta if field eats a ban.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

drainpipe posted:

It's a sweet deck (I definitely want to craft one), but how is its matchup against simic? It seems unfavored to me, and simic looks to be huge in the meta if field eats a ban.

From my limited playtesting last night, opening with inkeeper unmolested is possibly stronger than goose-> Oko, its gonna be a war of engine vs engine.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
Molest the Innkeeper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

ChrisBTY posted:

I somehow, SOMEHOW went 7-2 with a R/W aggro deck with one piece of removal (outmaneuver) and one bomb (Outlaw's Merriment) which only came out in one game.
After starting 2-2 and thinking I drafted another trash deck beat 3 mill decks, including one that went T1 Secret Keeper T2 Folio of Fancies then beat a Knight Deck to finish out.
My 2 Ardenvale Tacticians and 2 Silverflame Squires made up for the lack of removal.

perhaps, just perhaps, the poster that said the 1/5 spider is green's 3rd best common has no idea what they're talking about?