Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
So I am starting the gathering/crafting grind in the FF14 and I got to ask, any of you know a good podcast about the franchise? I am seeking one that is essentially laid back nerds dropping dumb in jokes and messing around. Or one focused on trivia/culture of the games and their development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm probably just bad at it but Trema really gave me a lot of trouble

I think all the guides from the PS2 days say to use some glitch with the catnip accessory which isn't possible in the remaster
I mean, Cat Nip + Trigger Happy wasn't really a glitch per se... but yeah they nerfed it in the remaster because it was also stupid good.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I really liked the Esper Ultima fight in 12. It wasn't super hard I guess but it was kinda lethal.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I've been playing FFX on the Switch and I got to say what a shame SE never used it's battle system again. I find it superior to older ATB system. It's real nice to be able to switch party members in and out and use them instantly and I really like the visual display for who's turn is next.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

FFT had elements of that, and I agree, I felt it gave the game the best evolution of older turn based design. It felt comfortable and chess-ish.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Black August posted:

FFT had elements of that, and I agree, I felt it gave the game the best evolution of older turn based design. It felt comfortable and chess-ish.

Yeah. It really makes you feel the affect of spells like Haste and Slow. I just threw those out in the older titles. Where here I can see if it moves a party member ahead of a monster's turn or not. Adds another level of strategy in a simple and easy to understand way.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

OhFunny posted:

I've been playing FFX on the Switch and I got to say what a shame SE never used it's battle system again. I find it superior to older ATB system. It's real nice to be able to switch party members in and out and use them instantly and I really like the visual display for who's turn is next.

Invidual character turn-based is the best and luckily a ton of RPGs use it, just none of the major series except Trails and Atelier.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
CTB and the Grandia-type ATB are both pretty cool

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Hyper Inferno posted:

Disc 1 Tantarian in FFIX. Not a superboss by any real definition, but it's my take on most challenging optional boss.

Nearly every super boss in FFs are designed with the idea that the player will do some grinding/prep for it. Some players will naturally take this too far and do something like max out Yojimbo for everything. At the same time, a lot of these games have exploitable systems accessible with extremely minimal grinding that can trivialize bosses if you make use of them (Zell duel, lucky 7s, trio of 9999) where people just usually need some guidance to find.The challenge in the bosses is usually just the amount of time the player takes to prepare or reading a guide on how to approach the boss.

Disc 1 Tantarian in FFIX doesn't allow almost any of this, especially if you approach it without a guide. The 20 minute timer in the sequence prevents you from grinding and the most recent save point is at a point of no return. You can't back out to go buy different items or equipment. So even if a player looks up a guide for a strategy at this point, there's a good chance that they don't have all the requisite skills/equipment to follow the guide, which forces the player to develop their own strategy.

Didn't think of that. I like those mid-game optional bosses, if I remember correctly FF12 had an optional Demon Wall that you could beat to get a pretty good sword? I just looked it up and apparently in Zodiac Age it gives some consumable instead boo

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm probably just bad at it but Trema really gave me a lot of trouble

I think all the guides from the PS2 days say to use some glitch with the catnip accessory which isn't possible in the remaster

Not really a glitch. Catnip makes every attack do 9999 if you're at low health. Trigger happy lets you do like, 20 attacks that do extremely low damage. You can see how the 2 of them together could be a problem. In the remaster they just made it so that you are Berserk and can't choose attacks

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Didn't think of that. I like those mid-game optional bosses, if I remember correctly FF12 had an optional Demon Wall that you could beat to get a pretty good sword? I just looked it up and apparently in Zodiac Age it gives some consumable instead boo

Not really a glitch. Catnip makes every attack do 9999 if you're at low health. Trigger happy lets you do like, 20 attacks that do extremely low damage. You can see how the 2 of them together could be a problem. In the remaster they just made it so that you are Berserk and can't choose attacks

Berserk and slow, so you can't even get cheeky and give it to a Thief and take advantage of the two hit normal attacks.

I think Auto-Haste overrides the slow, but Berserk is locked in forever.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

CTB and the Grandia-type ATB are both pretty cool

Yeah Grandia's ATB was good because it let you interact with the turn order directly, it was bad because pumping your act speed through the roof was way too OP.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

BisbyWorl posted:

Berserk and slow, so you can't even get cheeky and give it to a Thief and take advantage of the two hit normal attacks.

I think Auto-Haste overrides the slow, but Berserk is locked in forever.

Thief is one of the best Cat Nip users because of its two-hit normal attack (Festivalist too).

You can still pull off the Cat Nip Trigger Happy combo too, it just takes some timing and it's not as easy to do it every round. It's still a really good accessory despite the nerfs.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
What's the best way to play FF5 these days? Advance with a rom patch?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

seiferguy posted:

What's the best way to play FF5 these days? Advance with a rom patch?
Either Advance with a rom patch or SNES with translation patch + Career Day - you can turn off all the randomizer settings and just have auto-dash + autoskipped cutscenes.

But if you're playing it for the first time, Advance with the SNES music patch is the way to go (I don't give a poo poo about the music patch but people have very strong opinions about it so I'll recommend it.)

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I’m forever the pariah for saying it, but the iOS versions aren’t as world-endingly awful as the thread would have you believe.

The graphics are strange/bad, but the battle sprites are fine, and mechanically the game is identical unless you’re a sperglord.

I’m a terrible awful wrong hairy person before I get called it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Either Advance with a rom patch or SNES with translation patch + Career Day - you can turn off all the randomizer settings and just have auto-dash + autoskipped cutscenes.

But if you're playing it for the first time, Advance with the SNES music patch is the way to go (I don't give a poo poo about the music patch but people have very strong opinions about it so I'll recommend it.)

Honestly VI kinda objectively took a big hit but 5 wasn’t pushing the SNES as hard, so it’s arguable whether it took an actual hit on the GBA’a soundtrack

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
the best way to play ff5 in english is the ps ff anthology release

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I started V on the GBA and man the slowdown and music are real bad, which is why I wanted to see what the alternates were.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

The White Dragon posted:

KARL BOSS

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

seiferguy posted:

I started V on the GBA and man the slowdown and music are real bad, which is why I wanted to see what the alternates were.

This hack should fix both of those problems.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The White Dragon posted:

This isn't nice, someone might believe you

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Arist posted:

I liked Pirate Speak Faris, though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
That's not why that version is poo poo

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Arist posted:

t'arr

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I’m forever the pariah for saying it, but the iOS versions aren’t as world-endingly awful as the thread would have you believe.

The graphics are strange/bad, but the battle sprites are fine, and mechanically the game is identical unless you’re a sperglord.

Yeah I 100% agree with this

In TYOOL 2019 the mobile and/or PC versions are absolutely the most convenient ways to play old FF games

Like yeah it V and VI don't look the exactly the way they did when you were a child but who cares, if graphics were the only reason you played them they'd either be really bad games or you'd have to be some kind of a moron

Veib fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Oct 20, 2019

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Y BURN

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Emulators have fast forward, which is a nice feature when playing through FF5 for the twentieth time. Otherwise my main beef is you can’t cheese Omniscient in the remaster, which makes beating him with certain Fiesta parties a nightmare.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I played FF5 on the original GBA cart
Phone version's not that bad. I played it like 5 years ago I bet now with the nice big screens and possible controller support it's probably way more playable.

Definitely one of the games most in need of a remake not from a story point of view but because that battle system and job system has so much room to grow (I know it's just called Bravely Default)

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Got FF5 on my phone for the fiesta this year and yeah, it's totally fine. Auto Battle is nice, the sprites are poo poo, but you get used to it. Shamefully never completed my run though.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Mega64 posted:

Emulators have fast forward, which is a nice feature when playing through FF5 for the twentieth time. Otherwise my main beef is you can’t cheese Omniscient in the remaster, which makes beating him with certain Fiesta parties a nightmare.

I play emulation mostly through retropie on a Pi 3, and for whatever reason the GBA emulator's fast forward hardly does anything compared to the SNES one. I probably need to tweak the settings but it's a minor annoyance.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

zenguitarman posted:

Got FF5 on my phone for the fiesta this year and yeah, it's totally fine. Auto Battle is nice, the sprites are poo poo, but you get used to it. Shamefully never completed my run though.
Yeah, if you can stand the ugly sprites (and aren't fiestaing to care about fixes to things like Omniscient and !Calm) there's a legit argument for the mobile version because autobattle is just that good. I should have mentioned that.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I played the mobile version of VI and after awhile you stop noticing the awful sprites.

I have a ton of money in google surveys that expire soon so I guess what the hell, may as well make the splash.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Had a :yeah: moment where I smashed two bosses easily in FFX. The undead dragon, because duh Phoenix Down, I remember this fight from FFVII. Then undead? Seymour where I just dropped a bunch of Overdrives on him back-to-back and his dumb snake thing killed him itself from pulling to much HP to heal. Shiva's Overdrive was my first 9999 hit too.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Oct 23, 2019

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

OhFunny posted:

Had a :yeah: moment where I smashed two bosses easily in FFX. The undead dragon, because duh Phoenix Down, I remember this fight from FFVII. Then undead? Seymour where I just dropped a bunch of Overdrive's on him back-to-back and his dumb snake thing killed him itself from pulling to much HP to heal. Shiva's Overdrive was my first 9999 hit too.

One of the most memorable and satisfying fights in FFX for me was the first time you fight Seymour. I instantly figured out that Yuna's null spells would be useful so I hasted her and just spammed those. I don't think Seymour ever did any damage at all lol. gently caress him.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

He's not really undead, he just resists being sent to the Farplane. So he's just hanging around being a nuisance really.

Elephant Ambush posted:

One of the most memorable and satisfying fights in FFX for me was the first time you fight Seymour. I instantly figured out that Yuna's null spells would be useful so I hasted her and just spammed those. I don't think Seymour ever did any damage at all lol. gently caress him.

This is the expected way to do the fight actually. If you scan seymour the tooltip will tell you that he does his magic in a specific order so you can stay a step ahead of him with your null spells. I kinda wish more fights gave you little puzzles to figure out like that.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

He's not really undead, he just resists being sent to the Farplane. So he's just hanging around being a nuisance really.

This is the expected way to do the fight actually. If you scan seymour the tooltip will tell you that he does his magic in a specific order so you can stay a step ahead of him with your null spells. I kinda wish more fights gave you little puzzles to figure out like that.

Yeah Sensor owns and I wish more weapons had it. I always had to swap in someone who had it first thing.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

You can get some sweet buffs in both fights if you go to the Overdrive menu too. There's a talk command there where you can have a little verbal back and forth with him and get a boost.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Those always made me laugh.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
What's the general level of tech like in the world of FFXIV? I don't play myself but I was just curious - a WoW guildie of mine peaced out after seeing someone in he Noctis car because it broke his immersion of the setting (lol as if WoW is perfect in this regard) but it got me curious as to what vehicles and mechanical stuff exists in FFXIVs world?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

DeadButDelicious posted:

What's the general level of tech like in the world of FFXIV? I don't play myself but I was just curious - a WoW guildie of mine peaced out after seeing someone in he Noctis car because it broke his immersion of the setting (lol as if WoW is perfect in this regard) but it got me curious as to what vehicles and mechanical stuff exists in FFXIVs world?

there's mechs, guns, mechanical walkers, laser cannons, airships, computers, etc. The fact that the game actually takes place in a backwater where people still ride giant chickens doesn't mean that cars don't exist, even if you wouldn't normally see something like that outside of Garlemald.