Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I think you're missing Pierre Le Fou from that list.

And I trusted you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Cemetry Gator posted:

I think you're missing Pierre Le Fou from that list.

And I trusted you.

Whoops, I forgot about that one and I actually owned it! So, it's ten. And even so, half of them are at least in print with good to great editions from others.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Got my blu ray of Vampire's Kiss / High Spirits from Amazon for $18 thanks again for whoever mentioned it was going oop.

It's now $44 on Amazon btw.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I think I’ve asked this here before but let’s talk a different type of physical media: movie posters!

I’m at a point in my life where I wanna ditch some posters, get some new ones w frames, etc.

Right now I’m looking for an Alien poster. I had one in college from one of those poster sales that ruled but got ripped a few months later. It was the same as the DVD cover where it’s the egg, the title, and the tagline.

I’ve been googling and everything seems to be a lovely reprint or a different style.

Any good resources I should check out? eBay seemed to gear towards official vintage. I just want a dope poster.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Try Etsy.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
eBay is great for that, just sort by price and go for something between $20 and $40.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

According to someone on CriterionForum, UCLA and Warner Bros. have been working on a new restoration of the 1933 Mystery of the Wax Museum that should be on Blu-ray next year (likely Warner Archive).

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
Arrow knocks it out of the park again - their new Oldboy edition looks like a massive improvement over all previous ones.
https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=13458&d2=9043&s1=135100&s2=87104&i=1&l=0

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
So my Arrow Oldboy blu-ray set arrived today.

It came with a postcard.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I like boutique labels as much as anyone here but do we really need Arrow versions of this or RoboCop? The existing editions are already good. The RoboCop disc uses the same transfer as the next most recent blu-ray that you can get for about five bucks. It just seems like a waste of money when there are so many other movies you could pick up. I was just looking at the Warner Archives blu-ray list and I was kind of surprised at how many really great and unexpected titles are in there.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

I like boutique labels as much as anyone here but do we really need Arrow versions of this or RoboCop? The existing editions are already good. The RoboCop disc uses the same transfer as the next most recent blu-ray that you can get for about five bucks. It just seems like a waste of money when there are so many other movies you could pick up. I was just looking at the Warner Archives blu-ray list and I was kind of surprised at how many really great and unexpected titles are in there.

Warner Archive does amazing work. Their podcast is worth a listen to. George Feltenstein headlines it and has been producing video releases for the classic Warner/MGM/etc library for decades (he produced all those 90s special edition laserdiscs). They even take letters and read them at the end of the show.

I recently got The Thin Man on Blu-ray, a film that's never looked good on video and it looks absolutely stunning. Likewise, the recent discs for Footlight Parade, all the 40s color Popeye cartoons, The Picture of Dorian Gray, and Innocent Blood all look and sound great. They even had the UK interpositive of Innocent Blood scanned so it had an extra two minutes of footage (mostly gore and nudity).

Even some of their DVD-only releases have a surprise or two. They put out a collection of the six surviving MGM Three Stooges shorts and they're fully remastered rather than using old masters (plus one of the shorts was only found in 2013 in Australia).

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CPL593H posted:

Maybe region 1 does, but maybe they don't have a good region 2 version of Robocop or Inglorious Bastards

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Shout’s Shocktober sale is up.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The Criterion Collection is also doing a 50% off sale for the next 24 hours.

HOWEVER.

When I went to get the link it says the site is down for maintenance.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

CPL593H posted:

The Criterion Collection is also doing a 50% off sale for the next 24 hours.

HOWEVER.

When I went to get the link it says the site is down for maintenance.

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1184150134025834497

Quick reminder: their Godzilla box is out on 10/29, and, being a pre-order, is probably not a part of this flash sale.

ringu0 fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 15, 2019

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Yeah, the front page keeps coming back up but when I try and get to my cart, it crashes again.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

My greatest shame is how much I love the House on Haunted Hill Remake (also although William Malone's next movie feardotcom was poo poo, it had some amazing visuals and production design).

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

SneakySneaks posted:

My greatest shame is how much I love the House on Haunted Hill Remake (also although William Malone's next movie feardotcom was poo poo, it had some amazing visuals and production design).

I've always thought that movie was fun and I don't think there's anything wrong with liking it. It's got some great scene chewing from Geoffrey Rush, a bit of Jeffrey Combs, and a surprisingly competent performance from Chris Kattan of all people. It has a pretty good aesthetic and the extremely late 90s feel of the movie has a certain charm to it, especially since the soon to come Bush era horror films would just be excessively sadistic and mean spirited.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
What's the better set: first films of Kurosawa or post-war Kurosawa

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Alec Eiffel posted:

Post-war. The Sanshiro Sugata films and Those Who Tread on the Tiger's Tail didn't do much for me, though I liked the propaganda-ish The Most Beautiful.

One Wonderful Sunday is like Kurosawa doing Capra, Scandal is awesome, and I don't remember much of No Regrets For Our Youth but my notes say I liked it. Haven't seen The Idiot or I Live in Fear yet.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Alec Eiffel posted:

If you happen to have a Criterion subscription, you can see for yourself

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I've always championed the House on Haunted Hill remake outside of the garbage ending where they didn't know what to do. Geoffrey Rush doing his John Waters impression (that's true) is a blast. I remember seeing it when it came out and the local theater had dudes in masks running up and down the aisles screaming at specific points in the film.

SneakySneaks posted:

also although William Malone's next movie feardotcom was poo poo, it had some amazing visuals and production design

Also a good read is Roger Ebert's conflicted feardotcom review.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
feardotcom, which I saw in theaters because my mom had a crush on Stephen Dorff, remains the worst movie I've ever seen, in theater or at home.

Arguably I haven't seen a lot of bad movies (I tend to only watch things I might like), but it reigns supreme.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Alec Eiffel posted:

feardotcom, which I saw in theaters because my mom had a crush on Stephen Dorff, remains the worst movie I've ever seen, in theater or at home.

Arguably I haven't seen a lot of bad movies (I tend to only watch things I might like), but it reigns supreme.

Does your mom like the movie The Gate?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

If anyone has any money left in their bank accounts, now Kino is doing a Halloween sale...

https://www.kinolorber.com/list/view/code/october-sale-2019?fbclid=IwAR3GlZt81RuAF6ufhuWdS-wSWYyOnTec35GEKa7JbtA145PmjI2VU-J_DyQ

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Alec Eiffel posted:

He reached peak hotness in Blade.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Per someone on the Blu-ray.com forums, someone got a leak of Flicker Alley's last two releases of 2019, both coming out on Dec. 17:

Trapped, a 1949 noir directed by Richard Fleischer, newly restored by the Film Noir Foundation

Pudovkin's Bolshevik Trilogy (The End of St. Petersburg, Mother, and Storm Over Asia)

I know the bigger labels like Criterion, Kino, Arrow, and Shout get the most attention, but this has been Flicker Alley's biggest year to date. For those who aren't as familiar, here's what they've released this year:

Der Hund von Baskerville (1929 German silent directed by Richard Oswald)
The Golden Head (obscure 1964 comedy/mystery starring George Sanders and Buddy Hackett, one of the Cinerama releases)
Flying Clipper (1962 German travelogue, 4K UHD and Blu-ray combo with 5.1 and Atmos options)
The Man Who Laughs (1928 film by Paul Leni starring Conrad Veidt, 4K restoration licensed by Universal)
The Last Warning (1929, Paul Leni's last film, 4K restoration licensed by Universal)
The Extraordinary World of Charley Bowers (2-disc set of the complete surviving Charley Bowers short films - sort of a combo of Buster Keaton and Ray Harryhausen)
Fragment of an Empire (1929 Soviet silent)
L'Argent (1928 French silent by Marcel L'herbier, 4K restoration)

Except for the two Universal/Paul Leni silents, these are all region free releases if one wanted to import them (I'd put money on either Arrow or Indicator having the UK rights).

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Mate, do you even need to ask?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

noooooo

I can't afford poo poo right now but some of those prices are too good to pass up

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

gey muckle mowser posted:

noooooo

I can't afford poo poo right now but some of those prices are too good to pass up

:same:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Film Detective is putting on the new 4K restoration of Eegah on Nov 26:
https://www.moviezyng.com/810017886692.aspx?microstoreID=4

Seems like it's an exclusive limited run release with only 1500 copies (pressed). Extras include the complete MST3K episode and new interviews with Arch Hall Jr. and Joel Hodgson.

Apparently the restoration was a joint effort of AGFA/Something Weird and Shout! Factory.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

November Warner Archive:

The Bad and the Beautiful (new 4K transfer from the camera negative)
The World, the Flesh, and the Devil
Operation Crossbow
The Kominsky Method: Season One
The 100: Season 6

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

November Warner Archive:

The Bad and the Beautiful (new 4K transfer from the camera negative)
The World, the Flesh, and the Devil
Operation Crossbow
The Kominsky Method: Season One
The 100: Season 6

Is there a list of poo poo that they put out of print? They don't have the Justice League (early 2000s tv series) blu-rays on their website but Amazon still has it for normal prices. I was wondering if that just went out of print and people aren't price gouging them yet or if this one just slipped through the cracks some how.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Is there a list of poo poo that they put out of print? They don't have the Justice League (early 2000s tv series) blu-rays on their website but Amazon still has it for normal prices. I was wondering if that just went out of print and people aren't price gouging them yet or if this one just slipped through the cracks some how.

My guess is they're out of print and will most likely be getting a box set release in the next few years, as they did Batman TAS last year and Batman Beyond is coming later this month. Seems like they're doing yearly sets of the DCAU stuff. I'm betting Superman next year then JL the year after.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There are blus of all of Justice League already, while the Batman and Batman Beyond sets are new. Superman would be the last of those shows to get a blu release.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

There are blus of all of Justice League already, while the Batman and Batman Beyond sets are new. Superman would be the last of those shows to get a blu release.

Yeah, this. I'd like to have those but I have been broke lately. Justice League Unlimited is on the WB Archives site so that's still in print. I guess worst case scenario I can just live with getting the DVDs. I was wondering about Superman as well. Has anyone heard anything about blus for that?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Why hello there, Arrow's LE Oldboy 4-disc set.

Look at all these special features

An angry Korean hammerman appears!

And look who's on the other side

So here's a reversible poster

Other side

And the booklet's got a bunch of essays about the film and the Vengeance Trilogy.

So yeah, it's nice.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

That's cool packaging but I'm good with never watching that again for the rest of my life. It's not a bad movie at all but no thanks.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Is that region locked? I have the big tin box Vengeance Trilogy set that I think Tartan put out but the Arrow one looks loving cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

can anyone recommend some releases from this sale? I'm definitely gonna get A Bay of Blood and The Asphyx but probably want to go up to $50 to get the free shipping so I'll need 2 or 3 more. The only Pete Walker film I've seen is House of the Long Shadows, which I liked. Any of his others worth checking out?