Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zhumma
Aug 5, 2006
title text
I don't hate the game or anything but I find it impossible to care about this dumb plot and the endless slow walking quasi-cutscenes sandwiched between five other cutscenes are really chafing my rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Zhumma posted:

I don't hate the game or anything but I find it impossible to care about this dumb plot and the endless slow walking quasi-cutscenes sandwiched between five other cutscenes are really chafing my rear end.
You can skip the walking memory sequences too with the start button, just like cut-scenes. Nothing happens in the memories that's going to change your mind or anything.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Everyone is a gruff rear end in a top hat but secretly has a heart of gold that causes them to sacrifice themselves or if they’re a woman they’re probably secretly in love with some dumbass male character, leading to their self-sacrifice or the villain, in which case they’re not-so-secretly pants-on-head batshit.

That’s pretty much it, outside of one of the few that you’re forced to watch anyway.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Which female characters are you thinking of for that none of the ones I can remember off the top of my head are like that

Zhumma
Aug 5, 2006
title text

Rascyc posted:

You can skip the walking memory sequences too with the start button, just like cut-scenes. Nothing happens in the memories that's going to change your mind or anything.

Yeah except some of them that the game won't let me skip for what ever reason. I mainly wish I could skip the whole string of cut-scenes at once instead of going through multiple loading screens in-between. This isn't me being an rear end in a top hat on purpose to anyone who likes the plot, just venting is all.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

cheetah7071 posted:

Which female characters are you thinking of for that none of the ones I can remember off the top of my head are like that

Emily and Naomi are pretty much entirely that.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

cheetah7071 posted:

Well there is the girl who becomes the inheritor of the claws but from both her and her fellow experiment scenes it is clear that they were all looking out for each other as best they could. There is also Eve but by all accounts Jack would be just as willing to sacrifice everything to keep her safe.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm suppose that was a little glib here because the only explicit case was Davis' friend Naomi, but the presentation of Emily's story practically falls over leaning in that direction and Eva's line about "if there's any way that my body can possibly be of use to him" is gross a hell even if it is nominally supposed to mean something different in context. There are still plenty of women in the game who don't fall into the paradigm, but for the most part everyone is still a one-dimensional stereotype.

Game is good and the premise is awesome, but that just makes the fact that characterizations and vignettes are so banal even more disappointed :(

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Zhumma posted:

Yeah except some of them that the game won't let me skip for what ever reason.

The only ones you can't skip are the four where you have to make a Permanent Meaningful Decision at the end.

That said, there's always another cutscene (which is skippable) in between the walking part and the decision part, and that cutscene always drops you off right in front of the decision point no matter where you were standing before, so :shrug:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Triarii posted:

I guess I could assume that your character was only mostly dead when they did the thing to split up the queen's body and turn the pieces into relics, and the effect carried over to the queen's blood in you and made it into the Relic of the Blood which brought you back to life because why not.

That's exactly what happens. When you killed Queen, you also inhaled her blood due to your mask getting knocked off, thus becoming the Successor of the Blood, which allowed you to regenerate after a heart shot and awoke Io to track you down. It's the reason why you can revive blood springs and interact with vestiges without going insane.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I just started this and only an hour or so in. I am guessing there is an option to completely play solo? The allies seem way over powered and I understand they wanted to differentiate it a bit from the Souls games but at least in those the ai summons were usually before a boss fight which was good for new players. The idea of playing this type of game the whole way through co op is just not appealing to me and I know some people play the souls game co op but it makes the game way too easy.

Is it like Souls in the way if you have summons/allies the bosses have more hp?

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Ulio posted:

I just started this and only an hour or so in. I am guessing there is an option to completely play solo? The allies seem way over powered and I understand they wanted to differentiate it a bit from the Souls games but at least in those the ai summons were usually before a boss fight which was good for new players. The idea of playing this type of game the whole way through co op is just not appealing to me and I know some people play the souls game co op but it makes the game way too easy.

Is it like Souls in the way if you have summons/allies the bosses have more hp?

Yeah you can put the ai buddy away, Yakumo is probably the best general partner since he tanks and spanks pretty well. I suggest using the ai partners if you're going to be mucking around and grinding out blood codes/masteries. Especially with how bad the healing is in this game vs the incoming damage for a souls like.

Worldwalker_Pure
Feb 27, 2015

Welp, just hit the boss of the Howling Pit. Is there a recommended build for her? So far I haven't done more than half her HP with the Atlas Code and a Zweihander.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I used the Zweihander on every boss in the game after I obtained it

For that boss I recall that the sweet spot was standing at medium distance from her. Her long distance moves are a pain in the rear end and at short range her movement is hard to read because the camera gets wonky. At medium range you can back away from her big attacks easily and also easily punish her simple attacks with time to spare to walk back into medium range afterwards.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Worldwalker_Pure posted:

Welp, just hit the boss of the Howling Pit. Is there a recommended build for her? So far I haven't done more than half her HP with the Atlas Code and a Zweihander.

It's going to be hard if you only have slow mobility, and the boss slows you further if she hits you. If the status is giving you trouble, Coco should be able to give you some anti-slow items and possibly a helpful blood code. Remember you can block most attacks with a zweihander.

Worldwalker_Pure
Feb 27, 2015

Promethium posted:

It's going to be hard if you only have slow mobility, and the boss slows you further if she hits you. If the status is giving you trouble, Coco should be able to give you some anti-slow items and possibly a helpful blood code. Remember you can block most attacks with a zweihander.

I try to have normal most of the time, but depending on the code I can get up to light as long as I don't mind dual-wielding bayonets. I do seem to remember seeing an anti-slow gift in one of the codes, though.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Worldwalker_Pure posted:

I try to have normal most of the time, but depending on the code I can get up to light as long as I don't mind dual-wielding bayonets. I do seem to remember seeing an anti-slow gift in one of the codes, though.

Unlike Dark Souls, weapons only impact your speed when you're using them. If you can move fast with a bayonet in slot 1, then it doesn't matter whether slot 2 is another bayonet or a zweihander, so long as slot 1 is your currently active weapon.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Drakes posted:

Yeah you can put the ai buddy away, Yakumo is probably the best general partner since he tanks and spanks pretty well. I suggest using the ai partners if you're going to be mucking around and grinding out blood codes/masteries. Especially with how bad the healing is in this game vs the incoming damage for a souls like.

Ya I can see that last part you are spot on. You do receive a poo poo tons of damage from enemies even though they are not that tanky they dish out some good damage. How do you get rid of the ai? I might like at the first mission out of the homebase, maybe I can't solo at this point? But thanks for the tip, grinding definitely sounds more manageable with ai compared to other souls games.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

In the home base, talk to whichever AI is your current partner and their menu has an option to stop partnering.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Vil posted:

In the home base, talk to whichever AI is your current partner and their menu has an option to stop partnering.

Alright thanks.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Drakes posted:

I also quite like Io as a partner. She doesn't tank as well, and she certainly needs to be wearing more clothing when you go to the snowy mountain with her, but she can hit hard with her Gifts/Halberd and heals you for a poo poo-ton if you get taken down to zero (although it usually tanks her health pretty hard - combined with the enemy's attention now being on her, she usually winds up getting finished off by the enemy shortly thereafter).

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Look what's even the point of being an anime vampire if you aren't going to dress sexy

Worldwalker_Pure
Feb 27, 2015

As it turns out, the secret to beating Invading Executioner was just 'gain a few levels, learn the gifts that inflict status'. It became remarkably easy to style on her with just Venom Mark and Warding Mark active at all times. Next up is doing a tour of earlier areas to see if any new NPCs have popped up and seeing what Mia can do.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I am at the butterfly boss, hmm this game is feels too easy without allies but too hard without it. Kinda weird. I am getting her 60% hp solo but I seem to do so little damage and I just found out her tracking ball actually dissappears after a while, I kept getting hit by that and getting poisoned.. I loving messed up and only inherited 1 gift from other codes because I forgot you could do that, maybe I will farm up. Right now I am playing Caster because ranged damage feels broken so far.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Look what's even the point of being an anime vampire if you aren't going to dress sexy

Her outfit looks kind of terrible instead of sexy imo

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

How do you dodge the Butterfly's spin beyblade attack melee range? In her last phase she just starts spamming that and I can't just cast spells from range since I run out of ichor.

E: Managed to survive the last phase by saving all ichor to just kite her in that phase. I might just do a first playthrough with partner even though I feel like it might be a bit on the easier side.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 19, 2019

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I finished this today and I think this game is pretty good! Not as good as bloodborne or dark souls one, but I had more fun with it than 2, 3 and Sekiro. Maybe like it more than demon souls too. While code vein is pretty bad at level design, is probably too easy, and I was constantly cheesed off at how fiddly the backstab was, I really appreciated the relative generosity of this game in comparison. Upgrade materials are plentiful and easy to come by and not hidden behind some insanely stupid lizard mechanic. The ability to switch builds on the fly is excellent. The code system is definitely more interesting than spells ever were. It was nice having a functional map, especially one that showed where you had been and would show items if you walked close enough to them. Also being able to see quest npcs while in the same area. For me and what I want out of a game, I think this was just a better fit.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Does Code Vein have much replayability? I'm kind of on the fence about whether to splurge on this or Remnant From the Ashes, and the only kinda-sorta criticism I've heard about CV was from a podcast guy who went "It's fun, but you unlock so many of the possible options in one playthrough that I can't really see going back to it like a Soulsborne title."

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I don't know if I'd ever replay the game, if only so I don't have to go through the Cathedral ever again, but it's absolutely the more Soulsborne-like of the two. Remnant is really more of a third person shooter in practical terms. CV is also substantially longer.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Alright cool, thanks :)

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I played both and I liked code vein a lot more, but I doubt I’ll ever play either again because neither one really gripped me the way the souls games do as far as playing over and over again.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

Does Code Vein have much replayability? I'm kind of on the fence about whether to splurge on this or Remnant From the Ashes, and the only kinda-sorta criticism I've heard about CV was from a podcast guy who went "It's fun, but you unlock so many of the possible options in one playthrough that I can't really see going back to it like a Soulsborne title."

You do have a decent incentive to do at least one more playthrough since there's a handful of mutually exclusive blood codes. But basically the blood code system is a double edged sword in this regard. On the one hand it makes replaying to try different builds unnecessary which limits replayability. But on the other hand the reason for that is you get to fool with everything freely the first time through which is itself a lot of fun.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Remnant is more on an ARPG, with the best shooting I've played in that genre. It's a good time, easy to coop with your friends, and I really enjoy that all loot is unique.

Edit- if you want a souls experience you should get Surge 2.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Omi no Kami posted:

Probably not. It has 3 different endings and some blood codes that require a second playthrough to get, but you can so easily swap builds at the drop of a hat that making a new character to try a different playstyle isn't really a thing.

Worldwalker_Pure
Feb 27, 2015

Does anyone have advice for the Argent Wolf Berserker in the Crypt? Like, is there a recommended build or level I should be at? Does it have an elemental weakness I can exploit?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
[e] Was thinking of the wrong boss, sorry

Kalion
Jul 23, 2004

:gifttank:
Panzer vor!

Worldwalker_Pure posted:

Does anyone have advice for the Argent Wolf Berserker in the Crypt? Like, is there a recommended build or level I should be at? Does it have an elemental weakness I can exploit?

I believe that boss only does physical damage so a fortified zweihander can block 100% of his attacks and you will take no damage.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Block or evade until you get focused, launch it, and then chain backstab it whenever it gets up. For whatever reason it's vulnerable to launch/parry/backstab.

Worldwalker_Pure
Feb 27, 2015

Reiterpallasch posted:

Block or evade until you get focused, launch it, and then chain backstab it whenever it gets up. For whatever reason it's vulnerable to launch/parry/backstab.

I know that launch attacks are thing in theory but there doesn't appear to be any information on how to do one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Worldwalker_Pure posted:

I know that launch attacks are thing in theory but there doesn't appear to be any information on how to do one.

On PS4, R1+triangle while focused.