Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

The Lord Bude posted:

First bathing scene in the book is the Rand, Mat, Perrin and Lan in the Inn when they get to Baerlon. Then after that we get the 3 boys being embarrassed about mixed sex public baths in Shienar. I hope they don't discriminate with the male nudity like most shows do.

There's not a lot of nudity after this IIRC? Some people being taken gai'shain by the Aiel, and Elayne bathing, I can't recall more instances right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Torrannor posted:

There's not a lot of nudity after this IIRC? Some people being taken gai'shain by the Aiel, and Elayne bathing, I can't recall more instances right now.

Most of the rituals involving women "require" being nekked. For example, women are naked when they travel to Rhuidean, while men are not. Aes Sedai are naked when they are tested to become Accepted and Aes Sedai. Women are naked when they undergo the sister bond ceremony.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Torrannor posted:

Pretty sure there’s a fight in either book 4 or 5 where mat ends up fighting in the nude because they were ambushed in the night. Then you have book 5 where Rand chases Aviendha through the gateway into the snow.

Also basically all of the spanking.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
There's also the aiel sauna tents which are supposedly co-ed but only seem to include women.

Also I think the third book has a scene where Perrin walks in on Moiraine just chilling naked for some reason. I can't be arsed to look it up and maybe it made more sense but I recall it being a bit of a "wait what?" moment.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

also Rand in the box; and the scenes where Tyelin basically rapes Mat.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Torrannor posted:

Books 1-3 are pretty light (in addition to what's been said, Tar'Valon accepted tests for the girls, Da'covale robes being see-through, Perrin walking in on Moiraine, the harem-preview swimming dreams Rand has, Lanfear's TAR mindrapey dreams), but it ramps up pretty hard in book 4 once the Aiel are around.

You've got Berelain trying to seduce Rand in Tear, naked spearfighters waking up to fight shadowspawn multiple times, the sweat tents, all the lady trips to Rhuidean, Aviendha every night after she's ordered to stay in Rand's tent (and him eventually "catching" her), Mat and Melindhra's massage sessions - I'm sure there's more even in books 4 and 5 because the Aiel LOVE being naked.

It kind of worries me that I remember all this, but I guess I did first read these books as a horny teenager.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 15, 2019

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

bloom posted:

There's also the aiel sauna tents which are supposedly co-ed but only seem to include women.

Also I think the third book has a scene where Perrin walks in on Moiraine just chilling naked for some reason. I can't be arsed to look it up and maybe it made more sense but I recall it being a bit of a "wait what?" moment.

He goes to talk to her about Faile and walks in on her as she's changing.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

If we dont get some Eastern Promises style dick flop while fighting nude I'm declaring the series a failure

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yeah, in all seriousness I hope they learned from GOT that you don't need constant gratuitous nudity to get people to watch these shows...

...but on the other hand this really needs a followup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI0K3TdS_Yk

Bmac32
Nov 25, 2012

bloom posted:

There were a few times when Eqwene was training with the wise ones and they were trying to get her married off where dudes would just stroll on into the sweat tents.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Bmac32 posted:

There were a few times when Eqwene was training with the wise ones and they were trying to get her married off where dudes would just stroll on into the sweat tents.

Right, just because the only important people in the sweat tents were all women doesn't mean there couldn't be dudes in the background.

I wonder how they would portrait "Ta'veren television", where all of the three boys could see images of the other two just by thinking of them. I was just reminded of this when I recalled that Mat saw Rand shaving one time, which would be another "opportunity" to show a half-naked guy.

Bmac32
Nov 25, 2012
I think Mat and Perrin also catch Rand being a very naughty Two Rivers lad a few times in stunning Ta'veren'o'vision. It'll all just come down to if the production wants naked dudes or not.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Hips and nips, people. Gotta keep it sexy or we don't eat

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Either drop dong or don't show anything, I am an equal opportunity nude lookers so all or nothing in my opinion.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Torrannor posted:

I wonder how they would portrait "Ta'veren television", where all of the three boys could see images of the other two just by thinking of them. I was just reminded of this when I recalled that Mat saw Rand shaving one time, which would be another "opportunity" to show a half-naked guy.

Was this ever used in a "meaningful" way? Like did X see Y in a vision and then go, "Oh poo poo I gotta get to Y immediately"?

To the best of my poor memory, it was always just like a "Huh I wonder Y is up to" sort of thing that never proved meaningful -- if so, then I'm sure this would just be scrapped for TV.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I bet they have lan and nynaeve bang in the first book.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Sab669 posted:

Was this ever used in a "meaningful" way? Like did X see Y in a vision and then go, "Oh poo poo I gotta get to Y immediately"?

To the best of my poor memory, it was always just like a "Huh I wonder Y is up to" sort of thing that never proved meaningful -- if so, then I'm sure this would just be scrapped for TV.
Perrin especially talks about Rand "needing" him quite often (Faile hates this, unsurprisingly), and Mat complains about trying to get away but continually being forced to stick around and do useful stuff, but I also don't remember it ever manifesting in a specific T'V vision.

Maybe there's some suggestive ones leading up to Dumai's Wells or some stuff when he's going all Darth Rand leading up to the finale, I'm not sure.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I bet they have lan and nynaeve bang in the first book.

Are you saying she's gonna be as forward as a farm girl during harvest?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Sab669 posted:

Doesn't Perrin keep seeing visions of Rand and those drive him to leave the Two Rivers to find him in the lead up to Dumai's Wells?

Basileus777
Jun 13, 2013

Sab669 posted:

IIRC Rand uses this to locate Mat in AMOL. It's not really plot critical at any point. It's generally just used as a device to get the POV to introspect about the other two.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Doesn't Perrin keep seeing visions of Rand and those drive him to leave the Two Rivers to find him in the lead up to Dumai's Wells?

With Perrin you could just use the Wolfdream to achieve the same thing.

Basileus777 fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 15, 2019

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Perrin especially talks about Rand "needing" him quite often

I seem to recall that just being like a vague hunch independent of the visions, but I could be mistaken

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Later on Mat starts seeing "the colors", which serve as a sign that he really needs to meet up with Rand. There's alternate ways to do that, so it could reasonably be axed. For that matter, the entire thing could be handled by a purely outside view - just have one of them shake their head and mutter from time to time.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Sab669 posted:

Basileus777 posted:

IIRC Rand uses this to locate Mat in AMOL. It's not really plot critical at any point. It's generally just used as a device to get the POV to introspect about the other two.

Book 9, 10 and 12 spoilers: Both in Mat's and Perrin's camps, the channelers get pretty upset when they sense the Cleansing. Mat and Perrin experience a pretty violent vision of Rand sitting in front of Nynaeve, and deduce that it's not actually the Forsaken doing god knows what, but the Dragon Reborn doing it, which makes it nothing to worry about. Also, in The Gathering Storm, Nynaeve prods Rand to tell her what he can about Perrin, but he only knows that Perrin is near a certain statue that he doesn't recognize. She goes back to Cadsuane with the information, who uses the description of the statue to locate Perrin's camp and fetch Tam. Which results in that meeting between Tam and Rand in which Rand nearly kills his father.

Basileus777
Jun 13, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Book 9, 10 and 12 spoilers: Both in Mat's and Perrin's camps, the channelers get pretty upset when they sense the Cleansing. Mat and Perrin experience a pretty violent vision of Rand sitting in front of Nynaeve, and deduce that it's not actually the Forsaken doing god knows what, but the Dragon Reborn doing it, which makes it nothing to worry about. Also, in The Gathering Storm, Nynaeve prods Rand to tell her what he can about Perrin, but he only knows that Perrin is near a certain statue that he doesn't recognize. She goes back to Cadsuane with the information, who uses the description of the statue to locate Perrin's camp and fetch Tam. Which results in that meeting between Tam and Rand in which Rand nearly kills his father.

In a world where people can teleport around through gateways and have prophetic dreams, these are pretty easy things to write around.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Data Graham posted:

I only have one burning question about the TV show: how many mustaches will they attach to Thom's face

Just cast Sam Elliott and call it a day.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Thom has to be grizzled, spry (before the limp), and somehow not too old for moiraine to find a tasty snack.

I've never quite been able to picture it.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

How are u posted:

Thom has to be grizzled, spry (before the limp), and somehow not too old for moiraine to find a tasty snack.

I've never quite been able to picture it.

I always pictured Patrick Stewart with a mustache

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea like a more spritely Gandalf without the beard. So I think Patrick Stewart with a mustache is probably right.

e; Also, like Carry Elwas' Old Man Disguise in Robinhood: Men in Tights:

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 15, 2019

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Sab669 posted:

Yea like a more spritely Gandalf without the beard. So I think Patrick Stewart with a mustache is probably right.

e; Also, like Carry Elwas' Old Man Disguise in Robinhood: Men in Tights:

Just cast Cary Elwes, dye his hair a shade towards silver, have him grow a 'stache (or give him a fake one).

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I always thought these 10+ year old fan arts were pretty great, for the most part. They've been my headcannon character appearances ever since.

No sexy Thom, tho.

https://imgur.com/gallery/BT99I

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
If they do nudity just do it like Spartacus. There was a good comprise there between male and female nudity. In fact they just need to make more Spartacus, or I need to sit down and watch it again.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Oh spoiler chat:

Maybe spoiler everything from the end of book 9 on? If you get that far I mean you've read as much as most folks do

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
Been rereading the first book during my downtime at work. Is the altercation between the whitecloaks and Rand the first time he manifests the One Power? Tried looking for it earlier in the book but this seems like the very first instance.

Yavuz
Oct 9, 2019

shirunei posted:

Been rereading the first book during my downtime at work. Is the altercation between the whitecloaks and Rand the first time he manifests the One Power? Tried looking for it earlier in the book but this seems like the very first instance.

He restores Bela's stamina on the way to Taren Ferry.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

He also does something or other on the boat.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Here's one:
Brienne, whatever her actor's name was, as Birgitte, with The Hound as Gaidal Cain, only seen very briefly when the heroes appear at Falme.
Patrick Stewart as Artur Hawkwing!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

shirunei posted:

He's not using the Power. This and the headache are the after effect of him using the Power on Bela. It's cleverly hidden (especially since he attributes the headache to the dream), but Moraine explains what happens when you channel for the first time to Nynaeve a few chapters later.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

shirunei posted:

I think canonically, its him using it to keep Bella fresh when they were fleeing from Aemon's Field

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Mat Cauthon posted:

Just cast Sam Elliott and call it a day.

My mental image of Thom was always Sam Elliott even though I didn't know his name. I think I had seen him in one movie or something, and when I read the books he just fit perfectly. It was definitely the mustache.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

He's getting up there but he seems to be in good health, still handsome enough to pull your girlfriend, and the guy can still grow a hell of a mustache.

I mean, just look at these and tell me that doesn't look like Thom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Patrick Stewart’s gonna be busy for a while I think.