Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Homers BBBq posted:

Do they ever restrict cards anymore? or just ban? Restricting Field to one might be a way to balance the meta without completely killing the Golos deck. Making one or two zombies a turn is lot more reasonable than when you get multiples and get to make 6, 8 or even 12 a turn. It would also make the deck more about what you can activate off Golos ability which is more interesting IMO.

Also, I was watching Ben S stream last night and had to remind myself that Bo1 draft is high variance so I stay sane. He drafted a pretty good WG adventure deck with lucky clover and went 0-3. Game 1 he went against 3 revenge of ravens and still almost won (one point short). Game 2 he lost to embercleave. Game 3 I don't recall but even a good deck can go 0-3. I drafted Boros knights over the weekend after p1p1 getting Outlaw's Merriment and went 5-3. I think my list was a little better than the one posted earlier that was 7-2 because I had more removal and a lucky clover but sometimes you just run into good draws or get mana screwed. I also got run over by a mono white artifact deck with that aura that gives +1/+1 for each artifact/enchantment. It was shockingly good.

One cool interaction was to ping with that trebuchet card, then play the adventure that makes a 2/2 knight with clover in play. With full control I would ping, let the first copy resolve, ping again, let the second copy resolve, ping again end of turn. I had two of the trebuchet but never get both out unfortunately. Still fun.

They restricted 4 cards in the previous update in august. However, they have never restricted cards in a format that isn't vintage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

From my limited playtesting last night, opening with inkeeper unmolested is possibly stronger than goose-> Oko, its gonna be a war of engine vs engine.

isnt that just begging for removal tho?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dr. Stab posted:

They restricted 4 cards in the previous update in august. However, they have never restricted cards in a format that isn't vintage.

That’s not true. They only use restrictions in Vintage now, but there were once restrictions in Standard, and I believe some in Extended (the precursor to Modern.)

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Gotta say it's pretty weird that they haven't implemented a simple right-click report system yet. That seems like extremely baseline functionality for a multiplayer online game in 2019.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I mean the hard part of that functionality is getting usable reports that aren't just 'I lost and I'm mad'

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

flatluigi posted:

I mean the hard part of that functionality is getting usable reports that aren't just 'I lost and I'm mad'

I liked the idea of a report button that comes up automatically after there has been extensive roping or emoting. They already had a “did you like this match” thing for a bit there. Or have some way to initiate a flag for extremely specific reasons, like racist as gently caress username.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
What's there even to report?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

E2M2 posted:

Playing decks I don't like.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I wish there was just a 'did this player play too slow" button that you press at the end of matches. People who get a lot play against other players who get it a lot and vice versa.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

E2M2 posted:

people with really bad names like "pussykicker69"

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

E2M2 posted:

Arivia posted:

people with really bad names like "pussykicker69"

Or “14wizard88”

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Homers BBBq posted:

Also, I was watching Ben S stream last night and had to remind myself that Bo1 draft is high variance so I stay sane. He drafted a pretty good WG adventure deck with lucky clover and went 0-3. Game 1 he went against 3 revenge of ravens and still almost won (one point short). Game 2 he lost to embercleave. Game 3 I don't recall but even a good deck can go 0-3.

An additional bit of humorous coincidence was him saying during his drafting that "True Love's Kiss" is a 25th card level and then got beat in all 3 games by enchantments or artifacts after he didn't run it.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Doltos posted:

I wish there was just a 'did this player play too slow" button that you press at the end of matches. People who get a lot play against other players who get it a lot and vice versa.

Actual full-on idlers suck for everyone equally, so as someone who doesn't play a ton and so also doesn't play especially fast, the idea of me deserving to be "punished" by purposefully giving me even longer games is hilariously lovely. Your time isn't somehow more precious than mine just because you might be able to play faster.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

my first draft of eldraine, and I thought I had a pretty nutty adventures deck. 3 innkeepers, 2 lucky clovers, 2 bonecrusher giants, bunch of rim rock guys. Went 1-3. never drew an innkeeper.

I did come back from 3 days off to climb back into the top 100 of mythic though, so I can't be that bad of a player right? j/k I totally am.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I finally defeated Simic Flash for the first time in god knows how long, what a tedious pile of cards

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Saucer Crab posted:

An additional bit of humorous coincidence was him saying during his drafting that "True Love's Kiss" is a 25th card level and then got beat in all 3 games by enchantments or artifacts after he didn't run it.

I legit run two return to natures whenever I go green in limited now but the issue seems to be rotating from Revenge of Ravens to mill. The real bummer is both together.

Kanfy posted:

Actual full-on idlers suck for everyone equally, so as someone who doesn't play a ton and so also doesn't play especially fast, the idea of me deserving to be "punished" by purposefully giving me even longer games is hilariously lovely. Your time isn't somehow more precious than mine just because you might be able to play faster.

Yes it is. You play slower so you're sapping time from yourself and me while I'm saving time for you. You're a time vampire if you play slowly. It's no different than sitting in the left hand lane going 5 miles under the speed limit. What you're essentially saying here is that you don't want to play against slow players but it's perfectly fine for others to play against your slow rear end.

Doltos fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 15, 2019

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I finally defeated Simic Flash for the first time in god knows how long, what a tedious pile of cards

once field of the dead gets bopped out of the meta veil of summer is almost maindeckable

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Also the difference between playing at a deliberate pace and people who are obviously afking into the queue and watching TV during your turn is pretty pronounced. There's no way you should be roping on my first turn, and the game should punish you for it, but never will so oh well. Especially since such punishments would almost immediately start racking up on streamers who would then begin piss-baby crying about it.

Just to be clear I'm saying slower players are fine but people clearly tabbing out are not. MTGO had a huge issue with this for decades so it is just never, ever getting fixed. Ever.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
Wizards should definitely punish players for playing slow when their trash fire client itself is a laggy mess and disconnects people on a whim.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Spiderdrake posted:

Also the difference between playing at a deliberate pace and people who are obviously afking into the queue and watching TV during your turn is pretty pronounced. There's no way you should be roping on my first turn, and the game should punish you for it, but never will so oh well. Especially since such punishments would almost immediately start racking up on streamers who would then begin piss-baby crying about it.

Just to be clear I'm saying slower players are fine but people clearly tabbing out are not. MTGO had a huge issue with this for decades so it is just never, ever getting fixed. Ever.

This, I don't think it would be so hard to have "fast players", "slow thinkers" and "griefers / rage quitters" generally paired together.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Why should people who quit out of games be ranked with actual annoying people. Quitting out of a game you lost so you can play one you have a shot at is smart

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Doltos posted:

Yes it is. You play slower so you're sapping time from yourself and me while I'm saving time for you. You're a time vampire if you play slowly. It's no different than sitting in the left hand lane going 5 miles under the speed limit. What you're essentially saying here is that you don't want to play against slow players but it's perfectly fine for others to play against your slow rear end.

Seeing as I play as fast as I am able, same as you, it's completely different from that :iiaca:

I'll throw you a different one - It's the same as the old person in front of your grocery store line taking longer going through checkout than you. They're not being deliberately slow and they'd love to be fit and fiddle enough to get home as quickly as possible because they probably have other things to do too, but throwing them into a separate line - one for similarly old people, the disabled, and assholes who argue with the cashier and intentionally make everyone else wait - thus making their business take even longer merely so that you can be done faster is not in fact the appropriate solution to the problem.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 15, 2019

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I propose that there is no solution to this problem, because there exist people who have no problem wasting 20 minutes of their time because you played a deck they think is bullshit.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Thats crap. You know that people in this thread are talking about rage ropers and 120 second mulligan screen multitaskers and you're conflating it with disability.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

No Wave posted:

Thats crap. You know that people in this thread are talking about rage ropers and 120 second mulligan screen multitaskers and you're conflating it with disability.

I'm just responding to this, which makes no such distinction:

Doltos posted:

People can be slow for a variety of different reasons, so just a binary "Was this person too slow Y/N" is not going to cut it since the people who play lightning Magic will slam Y for everyone slower than them to maximize the speed of their own games.

Intentionally dragging things out should be punishable, but playing slow isn't something everyone can help.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Spiderdrake posted:

Yeah, there's a huge difference between thinking about plays, slowplay, and deliberate roping.

Thinking about plays is very often warranted and doesn't feel all that bad because you're likely thinking too. I had a bo1 draft match where we both were in golgari colors and had very complex board states with numerous cards in hand. The game ended up taking 40 minutes because of how long our turns were taking. We may have been playing a bit slower than average, but when there are that many options it's understandable.

Slow play is annoying but there are legit reasons it might happen. That player might be new to the game and still learning what everything does, they might have connection issues, they might have a disability that makes it difficult to move quickly, etc. While this slowness might all annoy fast players there isn't really a problem with it. The old lady at the grocery store isn't going through the checkout slow to piss you off, she's just inherently slower than you.

Roping is purely someone being an rear end and should warrant some kind of punishment. When you're at 1 red mana and no cards and the only play on the board is a pay 1 to give haste or something and you hold priority the full time there's no way to claim there was a legitimate reason to do that.

I wish there was a good way for WOTC to differentiate between the 3 and have some kind of variable timer system. A match timer, even in bo1 is another thought where the timer gets very aggressive if you're a known roper.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Time posted:

Why should people who quit out of games be ranked with actual annoying people. Quitting out of a game you lost so you can play one you have a shot at is smart

That's called "concede", as in hit the concede button. As opposed to "x out of the game so the opponent has to sit through all your ropes".

People who concede obviously shouldn't be penalized, but people who grief by roping and people who rage quit by alt-tabbing should be treated the same.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Hell, I was playing a Improbable Alliances deck this morning and had a guy switch from spamming "Your Go" at me constantly to roping as soon as I got Niv Mizzet on the board. I'm sure he legitimately had to think about his plays for the 3 remaining turns until I won.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Zero VGS posted:

That's called "concede", as in hit the concede button. As opposed to "x out of the game so the opponent has to sit through all your ropes".

People who concede obviously shouldn't be penalized, but people who grief by roping and people who rage quit by alt-tabbing should be treated the same.

A lot of people (including myself) do use the term "ragequit" to refer to those sorts of concedes where they immediately concede to t2 thought erasure or whatever, so there's some potential for confusion there.

Kanfy posted:

I'll throw you a different one - It's the same as the old person in front of your grocery store line taking longer going through checkout than you. They're not being deliberately slow and they'd love to be fit and fiddle enough to get home as quickly as possible because they probably have other things to do too, but throwing them into a separate line - one for similarly old people, the disabled, and assholes who argue with the cashier and intentionally make everyone else wait - thus making their business take even longer merely so that you can be done faster is not in fact the appropriate solution to the problem.

I mean even in the case of old people it's not quite so clear-cut because you do have them making specific life choices such as "writing a check to pay for groceries" and "having the checkbook in a huge handbag full of crap".

There are a lot of variables involved in any of these cases but reasonable people can usually make a judgment on what an appropriate balance is between personal situation and consideration for other people.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 15, 2019

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

I just wanna complain about all the crap rares in eldraine. Just some real turds there

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

JerryLee posted:

A lot of people (including myself) do use the term "ragequit" to refer to those sorts of concedes where they immediately concede to t2 thought erasure or whatever, so there's some potential for confusion there.

As an aside, Arena really needs to allow me to concede to a turn 2 thought erasure or whatever without revealing my shameful keep.

And also, there is benefit to going into game 2 with information on what your opponent is playing without them knowing what you're playing of course.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Zyla posted:

I just wanna complain about all the crap rares in eldraine. Just some real turds there
First let me complain about how all the good cards are rares and how many of them there are because I'm long out of WC.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Zero VGS posted:

Most of those people are actually having connection issues as evidenced by it happening the same amount of time to people who are clearly winning in my experience

Not to say that it never happens but a lot of people in this thread read into every action an enormous amount. Also most people haven’t been using rage concede like that and have been using it interchangeably with “my opponent conceded when losing”

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
When does Field of the Dead get banned? Four days?

I've been running apeshit over Ranked with Goloscopy and there are tweaks I want to make, but I'm pretty sure there's no point.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Lost first ranked draft game to mono-G Tall as a Beanstalk

Magic is nothing but suffering and pain

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

CapnAndy posted:

When does Field of the Dead get banned? Four days?

I've been running apeshit over Ranked with Goloscopy and there are tweaks I want to make, but I'm pretty sure there's no point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY-eyZuW_Uk

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

What if they dont touch field but merk the grazer

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
I lost to loving robber of the rich! I had a guy milled to zero, he pulled my jace with his robber. 1/30 chance. Sometimes you just gotta lose!

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Zyla posted:

Then people would continue to play field of the dead decks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Zyla posted:

It slows down the fields decks and make aggro significantly better in the matchup, but I don't think it's enough of either for it to matter.