Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I'm gonna say it : Survive is a good game.

I''m sure it's a terrible experience if you play it safe and turn it into poking zombies through a fence simulator, like the first 30 minutes might suggest. If you use all the tools you get, it's a ton of fun.

It's also a lot of fun coop, although at this point you probably can't find anyone but your friend to play with and that won't be enough to do the extra hard content, but the stuff leading up to that is more fun anyway. There are a shockingly high number of tactics that are actually good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Is this the right thread to discuss metal gear survive or is that a different (bad games) thread

My friend gave me a copy for free and even that price was too high, since I try to give games two hours before calling them garbage and it was most definitely garbage.

I mean, I don't think anyone here will say not to. I just don't think you should expect much discussion, since I don't think Survive has ever been a very popular title.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I tried to look past the media reaction to Survive and give it an honest try but it still didn’t grab me. Just felt like tedious busywork and reminded me of the worst grindy aspects of Phantom Pain but even less fun.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

I don't want to defend survive but having played to the final chapter of the story, it's fun, the story is bonkers and I wish there was more story. Like it's not especially great but it felt like something you'd see in a direct-to-video scifi movie and sometimes thats just what you want.

I like how they remixed the mgs5 areas, and some of them are legit creepy.

The biggest problem it has (besides being a metal gear spinoff made after kojima got the boot) is the beginning is loving awful and gives you the completely wrong impression of the game and unfortunately it takes a dozen of hours of drudgery to get to the good stuff, which is the story. The pacing is all kinds of off and all of the cool poo poo that nobody ever sees because they stop playing long before any of its shown is clumped together three quarters of the way through the game.

The one thing stopping me from finishing the game is that the games idea of boss battles are singleplayer versions of multiplayer maps, but theyre not rebalanced for singleplayer. The last one I had to do when I had to recover the Sahelanthropus is a 15 minute long horde mode clusterfuck where you have to rely on the ai being dumb to not get annihilated 13 minutes into the battle because it spams you with mortar zombies who can one shot your defenses and the winning strategy for me (and apparently every video I watched trying to figure out how to beat it) was hiding behind a rock and kicking the mortars away from my fences and picking off any zombies that survived that far. It's a loving mess.

Besides that, I honestly liked running around the world more than I did in mgs5. Sure it's mindless and most of the time youre just heading from point a to point b hoovering up every item you see, but having the zombies be everywhere and having to care about your oxygen was really engaging to me, especially when you'd get to points where you were running really low on oxygen and then you find a safe zone out in the dust, or being overencumbered but you dont want to drop any of your precious 500 sacks so you instead bellyflop to the nearest teleporter because repeatedly doing that uses less stamina than just trying to walk there, which I'm sure is a mother base approved tactic. Just having anything out in the world to deal with or think about was a step up (imo) than having nothing outside of sheep to punch and outposts (that were all the same) to raid.

Plus I liked playing dollhouse with the base you build.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

0 rows returned posted:

having played to the final chapter of the story, it's fun, the story is bonkers and I wish there was more story. Like it's not especially great but it felt like something you'd see in a direct-to-video scifi movie and sometimes thats just what you want.

It's funny because you can say the exact same thing about V.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

How much of Survive’s gameplay is V-style roaming with salvaging, and how much is tower defense stuff?

Because I’m very into the first, but not really into the second at all.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Probably about half and half?

You have to do small, mostly inoffensive ones that are fairly easy to power up each teleporter (10 total), and two sorta annoying multiplayer as singleplayer ones at roughly the third and two thirds mark, and then you have three awful boss battles, one about halfway through, and then two right after each other at the end. There's also randomly generated "portable miner" optional subquests that you can do or skip depending on if you need kuban energy (the games currency that you use to level up your character and build/craft stuff and replenish oxygen out in the field)

They were only allowed one new gameplay idea and goddamnit they were going to use it!

I felt that i spent way more time dicking around in the world and salvaging stuff than doing the tower defense stuff but that's probably due to how I played.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
I played it through and the ending is lol time travel and nanomachines

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

SquirrelGrip posted:

I played it through and the ending is lol time travel and nanomachines

Even Metal Gear Rising final boss was NANOMACHINES son but that was funny.

In general MGR felt like "what if MGS super fans made their own MGS and it was actually good?"

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Armstrong is the best boss in the whole series. Every line of dialogue with him is amazing.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Armstrong is the best boss in the whole series. Every line of dialogue with him is amazing.

Not just the conversations, either; even the animations are fantastic.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Chronojam posted:

Not just the conversations, either; even the animations are fantastic.

Yeah, the fight itself is amazing too and that’s after a whole game of awesome bosses. Revengence owns so god drat much.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I'm not ashamed to admit that I took the bad ending in Survive when it was offered to me, and became a wandering mother base soldier.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Survive has some good moments. Like playing baseball with a live grenade. :v:

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
What happens in the good ending for Survive?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

The game doesn't happen.

Which sounds like a joke, but the good ending is basically you travel back in time to stop the wormhole opening over Mother Base in the first place.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It has a Sonic 06 ending? Now I kinda want to try it again but I find zombie defense to be the most boring poo poo in the world.:(

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, I gave up on Survive early on as I just found it kind of boring and tedious but I might go back to it one day if I feel like it.

Out of curiosity, is there even a Metal Gear (or something similar at least) in this game?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Go out and kill the zombies. At the endgame you should have weapons plenty powerful to kill the special zombies. Defense in Survive is about sprinting around managing the zombies (especially special zombies) so that a minimal number of them can reach your defenses.

If defense missions are boring you, the answer is to stop playing like a bitch. Don't worry about your resources. If you're running low, go solo an easy multiplayer misson and you'll get a boatload of resources for finishing it. You don't have to complete every wave, just extract without the drill being destroyed and you'll get a lot of stuff.

Note that resources you pick up off the ground in multiplayer are only for crafting DURING that mission, so if you know where you can grab a few ingredients at the start to give you that extra 1-2 items to get you through, go for it, but otherwise ignore them.

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, is there even a Metal Gear (or something similar at least) in this game?

There's the Lord of Dust which is its own thing, and then a couple of post-game bosses which are very Metal Gear / Monster Hunter like.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 15, 2019

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

K8.0 posted:

Go out and kill the zombies. At the endgame you should have weapons plenty powerful to kill the special zombies. Defense in Survive is about sprinting around managing the zombies (especially special zombies) so that a minimal number of them can reach your defenses.

If defense missions are boring you, the answer is to stop playing like a bitch. Don't worry about your resources. If you're running low, go solo an easy multiplayer misson and you'll get a boatload of resources for finishing it. You don't have to complete every wave, just extract without the drill being destroyed and you'll get a lot of stuff.

Note that resources you pick up off the ground in multiplayer are only for crafting DURING that mission, so if you know where you can grab a few ingredients at the start to give you that extra 1-2 items to get you through, go for it, but otherwise ignore them.

everything I ever read about this game makes it sound so dull

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

If anyone is still playing MGS V on PS4, shoot me your tag. I will defend the gently caress out of your FOB. :black101:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Does Konami still update the nuke totals for each console? It would be cool to see at least one platform get the total nuclear disarmament ending legitimately.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I’m tempted to reinstall for FOB hijinks and to finally play Infinite Heaven. Are there still regular updates?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
So, I'm thinking about getting back into MGS5 (with a controller this time) since I stopped ages ago for some reason. I'm pretty sure I just finished the hospital sequence, which didn't really grab me. (I've enjoyed all previous MGS games though, plus the standalone prologue that was released a bit before MGSV.
What I want to know though, is if there's anything I should keep in mind when I play? Since I remember hearing that there was apparently something broken with FOBs a while ago - although I'm not sure if that only applied to people playing prior to that, or new players too. (Also, does storing KO'd soldiers in lockers prevent them from waking up still? :D )

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Major Isoor posted:

So, I'm thinking about getting back into MGS5 (with a controller this time) since I stopped ages ago for some reason. I'm pretty sure I just finished the hospital sequence, which didn't really grab me. (I've enjoyed all previous MGS games though, plus the standalone prologue that was released a bit before MGSV.
What I want to know though, is if there's anything I should keep in mind when I play? Since I remember hearing that there was apparently something broken with FOBs a while ago - although I'm not sure if that only applied to people playing prior to that, or new players too. (Also, does storing KO'd soldiers in lockers prevent them from waking up still? :D )

You can shove soldiers in portable toilets and it works like lockers in previous games.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
You can control the weather and you have a rocket punch like Tranzor Z. You can make your dog into a taser.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

WaltherFeng posted:

You can shove soldiers in portable toilets and it works like lockers in previous games.

hahaha even better! :D

moller posted:

You can control the weather and you have a rocket punch like Tranzor Z. You can make your dog into a taser.

Oh, you get a dog?! I hope they can't die :ohdear:

By the way, does killing enemies make it harder to recruit people? Since I remember that you're meant to be able to abduct people and ask them to "volunteer" with your army. But if you slit the throats of some of his mates, will that come to bite you later on?
Since although up until now I've always gone full-stealth+LTL in MGS, I think this time around I'm going to go ahead and kill guards on the perimeter, etc. just because I figure it's gonna be an ordeal managing a couple dozen tranq'd soldiers strewn about the place.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You can replay missions and the open world is repopulated every time you leave and come back. Enemy soldiers Potential recruits will rise in rank with Mother Base so early missions can have good soldiers as well. There are some soldiers in missions with unique skills but they are there every time the mission is replayed.

Another thing is that soldiers you hold up and tell to get down will remain face down in the dirt forever. They only get up if there’s an alert or if another soldier sees them and pokes them.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Major Isoor posted:

hahaha even better! :D

Oh, you get a dog?! I hope they can't die :ohdear:

By the way, does killing enemies make it harder to recruit people? Since I remember that you're meant to be able to abduct people and ask them to "volunteer" with your army. But if you slit the throats of some of his mates, will that come to bite you later on?
Since although up until now I've always gone full-stealth+LTL in MGS, I think this time around I'm going to go ahead and kill guards on the perimeter, etc. just because I figure it's gonna be an ordeal managing a couple dozen tranq'd soldiers strewn about the place.

D-Dog is a badass. As far as I remember he's immortal, but if he takes a lot of fire you'll have to win back his trust/friendship meter a bit I think. Use the pat the dog button a lot.

And it's definitely okay to get messy out there, you can kill some, recruit some, all good.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Heavy Metal posted:

D-Dog is a badass. As far as I remember he's immortal, but if he takes a lot of fire you'll have to win back his trust/friendship meter a bit I think. Use the pat the dog button a lot.

And it's definitely okay to get messy out there, you can kill some, recruit some, all good.
I think if DD takes enough fire he'll automatically extract (via balloon) as well the other buddies.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh cool, that's good to hear! Thanks all - I'll have to give it a go. I didn't realize that you could go back and get more people later on. (So does that mean like, I could play through the game, get an endgame mother base, then replay the first missions with all my endgame gear, etc. and recruit people straight into my end-game base, then?

Also, that's interesting regarding keeping people face-down on the ground. Could I grab them, drag them somewhere where they won't be found, then tell them to lay down? (Then hope I don't trigger an alarm)
Or will they only do that in the spot where you found them? (As in, only doing it if you hold them up at gunpoint, instead of grabbing them)

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Major Isoor posted:

Oh cool, that's good to hear! Thanks all - I'll have to give it a go. I didn't realize that you could go back and get more people later on. (So does that mean like, I could play through the game, get an endgame mother base, then replay the first missions with all my endgame gear, etc. and recruit people straight into my end-game base, then?

Also, that's interesting regarding keeping people face-down on the ground. Could I grab them, drag them somewhere where they won't be found, then tell them to lay down? (Then hope I don't trigger an alarm)
Or will they only do that in the spot where you found them? (As in, only doing it if you hold them up at gunpoint, instead of grabbing them)

The game's recruiting is built around using balloons to transport them back to base once you've knocked them out. You really don't need to worry about keeping held up soldiers out of the way, just Fulton them back to Mother Base and let Kaz deal with them.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

You can also load people onto your helicopter but there's not much point in doing that unless they're too injured to survive being sacrificed to the sky god via balloon, or for some other reason you're prevented from using a balloon on them.

Like, some mission objectives to extract people are of injured people, for example.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Necrothatcher posted:

The game's built around using balloons to transport goats back to base once you've knocked them out.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Zereth posted:

You can also load people onto your helicopter but there's not much point in doing that unless they're too injured to survive being sacrificed to the sky god via balloon, or for some other reason you're prevented from using a balloon on them.

Like, some mission objectives to extract people are of injured people, for example.

You can initially only carry 12 Fulton balloons at a time (and at that point, Fulton extraction fails at least 10% of the time even on uninjured enemies), but a single helicopter can safely carry a theoretically unlimited number of enemy recruits back to base regardless of injury or weather conditions. If you're at the end of an early mission and you've taken out a lot of enemies nonlethally, it can be handy to toss them into the helicopter before you use it to evac.

You can also extract from most (but not all) missions by land, either on foot or in a vehicle, by going fully out of the bounds of the mission area instead of calling a helicopter. Any enemies or prisoners that you're carrying when you do so automatically get extracted to Mother Base the same as if you'd helicoptered them out. If you extract by vehicle, you capture the vehicle for Mother Base, and you can bring most captured vehicles back into the field with you. Until you develop the improved cargo Fulton, this is the only way to capture vehicles from the field. Deploying with a jeep is pretty useful when you get your doggy buddy, since it's the only kind of vehicle that he can ride in; otherwise, he tries to follow you but has a nasty habit or running right in front of trucks and tanks as you're driving them.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Do you ever encounter a gear shaped object in the franchise?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

El_Elegante posted:

Do you ever encounter a gear shaped object in the franchise?

Very literally in fact. In Peace Walker you can find some gears on the back of a truck and Snake appropriately responds "Metal...Gear?"

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Major Isoor posted:

You can make people freeze anywhere. You can also kick people who are laying down to knock them out or wake them up, so you really can do whatever the hell you want with them. MGS V is a game best played by experimenting to see how much stuff you can actually do, because there are just so many options.

Also, the decoy is the most powerful weapon in the game.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

K8.0 posted:

You can make people freeze anywhere. You can also kick people who are laying down to knock them out or wake them up, so you really can do whatever the hell you want with them. MGS V is a game best played by experimenting to see how much stuff you can actually do, because there are just so many options.

Some dudes will try to fight back if you hold them up. But there's a pretty easy to read tell if they're about to do that and then you just beat them up.

quote:

Also, the decoy is the most powerful weapon in the game.

No, that would be the fully upgraded stun arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
https://twitter.com/Welrus_meng/status/1183204582782128128?s=19