Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I wonder if they've noticed the typo in the episode 13 title yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Nobody tell them!

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!
It's so juicy and I'm glad it's back. More ethics, more tactics and more elitism!

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

These "slow" episodes are really good. Can I have another 100 episodes of this show, please?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Oh sweet it's back! :dance:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I just started watching this. It wouldn't be nearly this good without having watched the original... but because I have, and I know what's coming more or less, it's awesome.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Not that this is bad, at all. I have no complaints whatsoever, it's just I'm watching these continually getting chills up my spine because I'm so excited.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

OP of season 1 is giving me serious Macross Plus vibes. This is so much better than I ever expected a remake of this could be.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I agree. Season 1 wasn’t objectively better or worse than the original, it was just... modernized and had more bishonen pretty boys.

It’s hard to say how they compared, because it’s unfair to compare 16 episodes to 140 episodes. But I think the remake has done a worthy job so far.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Kanos posted:

It's more that they were thwarted by the prospect of the actual authorities showing up and arresting them once the fire alarm went off. The Space KKK are hugely dangerous but they're still technically outlaw terrorists despite their implicit political support.

If they want to actually assassinate someone, they'll beat the guy to death in a parking garage or car bomb him or something.
Love LOTGH but I'm just jumping in to say the PKC is pretty clearly modeled on actual far right groups that do that stuff. In Japan in the 1980s I'm sure but I've personally witnessed a group in the U.S. (me watching from Yang's perspectice) try to pull something like that off (sans grenades) and they were basically operating on a stopwatch to time their visit to go for about two minutes before booking it to escape any potential trouble with the cops. Other than the firehoses, wrestling with a space cat and, again, the grenades the depiction is pretty accurate and probably one of the most accurate depictions of what it's like to witness an IRL fascist group (today) when it's doing its thing that I've seen in a fictional medium. Also the use of vans / bigger trucks to move the whole unit in and out fast is spot on. U.S. and European groups use more light though so imagine all those guys having flashlights mounted on their uniforms creating a dazzle effect and some holding lit road flares while yelling a bunch. Like a smoke and light show designed to look intimidating. They try to be spooky: doodly-doodly-doo!!

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Oct 12, 2019

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I'm almost caught up already, episode 14 right now. I'm surprised they brought in the Earth cult this early - I'm right in remembering that was never brought up until quite a bit later in the original?

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

I'm almost caught up already, episode 14 right now. I'm surprised they brought in the Earth cult this early - I'm right in remembering that was never brought up until quite a bit later in the original?

IIRC it was mentioned around the time of the civil wars. For example, I believe Trunicht hides out the coup with the help of Earth cultists.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I don't even remember how long ago I watched this. Viewing my post history in this thread tells me 12 years ago, so the particulars are very hazy.

I just hope it doesn't take that long again for them to finish it.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Not that this is bad, at all. I have no complaints whatsoever, it's just I'm watching these continually getting chills up my spine because I'm so excited.

It's subjectively worse than the original, IMO, but it's still LoGH so it's really quite good.

Things like the atrocious redesign of Sidney "Sithole" is the first that comes to mind. But again, I enjoyed my time with it. Interesting they decided to do another series rather than the original plan of a bunch of follow up movies?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I'll say it, the new opening theme is stuck in my head and I don't want it out. I never skip it and I like it more each time I watch it.

I guess it's been long enough that the redesigns have hardly registered with me. I definitely noticed the difference in names, though, lol.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
The themes chorus sound a bit too much like "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now" for my liking, but whatever lol.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

DamnGlitch posted:

It's subjectively worse than the original, IMO, but it's still LoGH so it's really quite good.

Things like the atrocious redesign of Sidney "Sithole" is the first that comes to mind. But again, I enjoyed my time with it. Interesting they decided to do another series rather than the original plan of a bunch of follow up movies?

Sithole is an actual name that actual people have

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Chris Knight posted:

The themes chorus sound a bit too much like "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now" for my liking, but whatever lol.

it bothers me because, i want it to be that song

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Maybe it's my hazy subjective memory but I didn't remember Hildegard having such a decisive, almost forceful but still tactful manner of presenting things to her father in the original (well, to be honest, presenting her point of view at all, it's been a long time). Really liked her potrayal in this latest episode. Her VA is incredible.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mister Olympus posted:

Sithole is an actual name that actual people have

The problem is not with the name

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I binged a few episodes on crunchy roll, and I think season 2 has hit its stride much better, the show is pretty dang good now.

It still cuts out a few of my favorite moments from the old show, but I think I’ll be able to share it with normal anime friends much more easily.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm constantly surprised this show isn't more popular.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

OB_Juan posted:

I'm constantly surprised this show isn't more popular.

The Youths just don't love space operas apparently

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nick Soapdish posted:

The Youths just don't love space operas apparently

It's also a story with a lot of politics and consideration for wide strategic concerns. It's kind of a hard sell even if you're interested in space fights already, which is less popular these days anyway.

Add on the new character designs turning off a lot of the people who'd usually be evangelizing it, and it's easy to see why it's not a big hit.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

It also helps to know a lot of history, then you can be like “Wow this crazy anime plot happened in real life. Several times.”

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

it has a lot working against it, popularity-wise, not least being that it was almost impossible to get a hold of for a really long time unless you were deep in the animes and had a go-to tape copier

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The Wire never won an Emmy

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
It's been a while but were there combat mechs in the original?

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Centzon Totochtin posted:

It's been a while but were there combat mechs in the original?

They seem to be replacing the skull-faced power armor of the old show.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Is anyone else having trouble with episode 16 on crunchyroll? Last night I chalked it up to technical difficulties, but it's doing the exact same thing tonight, just hangs and fails to load any more near the end of the opening theme. The episode title doesn't show up on the episode select screen either, unlike the other ones on there.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Is anyone else having trouble with episode 16 on crunchyroll? Last night I chalked it up to technical difficulties, but it's doing the exact same thing tonight, just hangs and fails to load any more near the end of the opening theme. The episode title doesn't show up on the episode select screen either, unlike the other ones on there.

I was able to load and seek through the whole episode, though the title isn't showing up. I see they also haven't fixed the typo in the E13 title.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I was at least able to watch it via seeking past the part where it hung. May be the crunchyroll app on my Roku I guess.

Also re: episode 17, I hope a coup d'etat never happens here, but if it does I hope I have a fraction of the balls and eloquence of Admiral Bewcock.

The same goes for when he faces Reinhard later on.

:patriot:

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

The Reply of the Iserlohn Garrison to Kaiser Reinhard

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

phongn posted:

that is fantastic

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

A genuine work of art

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
That is great!

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

phongn posted:

I love these knuckleheads so drat much.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Foppery and whim.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Man the last few episodes of Die Neue These have really ramped things up, the score continues to be excellent. Once the new one is over I really need to find the original to watch it through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is it only on crunchy? I know funimation has the first season but I'm not seeing the second one on there.