Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Darchangel posted:

I can fix that wind noise for you. There are 2 solutions. 1 involves a new rubber bit at that corner of the window, because the wind noise comes from the channel that the window rides in widening and creating a gap that the wind makes noise with (you seem to know the reason for this given that last sentence, but it will eventually happen anyway, because frameless loving windows). The second involves buying some cheap door edge trim to apply to the trailing edge of the channel: https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/110-gen-2-2000-2004/297977-another-wind-noise-solution-cheap-easy.html

This actually works, believe it or not. It fills the gap and/or spoils the wind enough to not make excessive noise. We dealt with that wind noise for 1200 miles. That was enough.

I found a VDC in the same color at a yard on Craigslist (and FB Marketplace.) I haven't gone to look at it yet, but all I really need is one of the crossbars for the roof rack. I only have one. Only other thing I'd really like is a cargo liner, preferably the optional Subaru accessories one.

I think you're already ahead with the Subie, but of course that's a view from here, at a bit of a distance. Other than the manual trans, the Subie *should* be better in every way, because it's not a GM economy car. Other than the head gaskets, of course...

Do these have a "snow start" setting? I don't actually know. Thinking maybe that's on, if it exists.

edit: STR, mine also has tears in the vinyl on the driver's side inside door pull. That stuff is way too soft for that location. Nice feel, but too delicate. Also, I'm sure you know this, but you're supposed to fold the rear seat bottoms up before putting the backs down. I saw the stuff in the footwells, and assume that's why you didn't.

I did not know that, good to know. And all that crap in the footwell is stuff I hurriedly pulled out of the Saturn when I traded it in. Guess I need to blow the dust off of the owner's manual. No snow start or anything that I can find, and it only does it on the first shift into drive after it's been sitting. I also found a VDC in a yard, but it was pretty well stripped except for two of the rear headrests and the auto climate control. I'm missing all 3 headrests on mine, but I'd rather find cloth ones. And good tip on the wind noise - it's not too bad on this car (much better than the Saturn's sunroof), but it's there.

Just figured out how to decode the VIN, it is indeed a cold weather package.

shy boy from chess club posted:

Dipstick is on the driver side back near the firewall, probably covered by heater and pcv hoses. The way it's acting doesn't sound too bad. They really try to start in second unless you stop all the way or stab the gas a little more than usual from a stop. That going into gear after moving you described is the only thing I haven't experienced so hopefully it is just low or needs a fluid and filter change. For you you've got 2 filters, an external one like an engine and a screen in the pan. I just did my pan one and like half new fluid and it made a huge difference, way better. The 2-3 shift is never all that great though it was better on my 04 which was phase 2 or something where it no longer has the brake band adjustment.

I just realized I'm only noticing it when I've backed out of a parking space and have the steering wheel cranked. In the FSM, step 10 of the road test is "transfer clutch - Check if the tight corner braking occurs when the vehicle is started with steering wheel held at fully turned position". I have no idea what tight corner braking is supposed to be, but maybe that's what's going on? It just feels like the car is struggling to move (but is moving) for like a quarter second with no increase in revs.

FSM also says there's a dipstick for the front diff. That's kind of a surprise to me. Also nice to see I can pull transmission codes by doing a bit of a dance with the ignition switch and shifter.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

If you need an automotive laugh, I found this site that's pretty cool:

https://boxartden.com/collections/gallery/index.php/Vintage-Model-Kit-Catalogs-1950-1999/Revell/Revell-1980/Revell-1980-04-960

The site is about the box art on model kits, all very cool, but the above link is to Revell's 1980 catalog of its new car kits, and WTF, they got rid of leaded gas and this caused some sort of general contempt for shape and color

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Darchangel posted:

I can fix that wind noise for you. There are 2 solutions. 1 involves a new rubber bit at that corner of the window, because the wind noise comes from the channel that the window rides in widening and creating a gap that the wind makes noise with (you seem to know the reason for this given that last sentence, but it will eventually happen anyway, because frameless loving windows). The second involves buying some cheap door edge trim to apply to the trailing edge of the channel: https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/110-gen-2-2000-2004/297977-another-wind-noise-solution-cheap-easy.html

This actually works, believe it or not. It fills the gap and/or spoils the wind enough to not make excessive noise. We dealt with that wind noise for 1200 miles. That was enough.

I found a VDC in the same color at a yard on Craigslist (and FB Marketplace.) I haven't gone to look at it yet, but all I really need is one of the crossbars for the roof rack. I only have one. Only other thing I'd really like is a cargo liner, preferably the optional Subaru accessories one.

I think you're already ahead with the Subie, but of course that's a view from here, at a bit of a distance. Other than the manual trans, the Subie *should* be better in every way, because it's not a GM economy car. Other than the head gaskets, of course...

Personally, I'd use the Harbor Freight hitch rack. I have one, and it's actually a pretty decent piece. It can tilt down for hatch access, and has wedge bolts to help keep it from rattling, which is nice. I've not actually *used* it, mind (I was trying to come up with something for my wife's recumbent trike, but this would have been too difficult for her to use.)

Do these have a "snow start" setting? I don't actually know. Thinking maybe that's on, if it exists.

Goon seller morethanjake32 polished the original headlamps on ours before he sold it, and they look terrific. YMMV, of course, but worth a try.

This is good info. I guess I should take a look at the filters on mine, as well. It shifts much better after I forced it to be more aggressive by hammering it up the mountains, and manually shifting, but could still use a little improvement. The filters may not make any difference, but it does have 180K on it, and I have no idea if those filters have ever been changed.

Grille is part of the hood on ours.

It repels campers and hikers, too? Heh.

edit: STR, mine also has tears in the vinyl on the driver's side inside door pull. That stuff is way too soft for that location. Nice feel, but too delicate. Also, I'm sure you know this, but you're supposed to fold the rear seat bottoms up before putting the backs down. I saw the stuff in the footwells, and assume that's why you didn't.

I think I have a cargo liner that will fit yours that I'll look for this evening. I know where it's buried just don't remember the condition. It's a Subaru one, even says Legacy on it I think. No idea what their worth but you can have it for shipping if it's worth it.

Some tricks with the auto: it will start in 2nd if you choose it from a stop. If you stab the throttle/step on it quick it goes into "power mode" (I still haven't figured the exact amount yet). Putting it into 3rd around town when you don't need OD is supposed to make it shift a little later though it doesn't seem to all that much, sometimes it does. I heard but haven't verified yet that putting it in 1st gives you 50/50. I have the FSM for the 4eat and I keep forgetting to look that one up. I don't know if any of those apply if you have VDC as I have no experience with the Subaru version or the 3.0 for that matter.

I definitely recommend changing the filter on the outside and the pan one is actually just a screen that needs to be cleaned on yours and STRs. I did that to my new old XT trans with 180k on it and my current one with 218k and it was worth it. The pan filter gets full of clutch material so I clean that all out along with the pan and magnet put on a new pan gasket and replace the amount that comes out with synthetic dextron. Also the pan has a drain like they all loving should so you only get half covered in tranny fluid rather than an entire washdown of you and the driveway/shop floor.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Also: Jeremy Clarkson, 1978 Eaton's fall catalog:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

STR posted:

I did not know that, good to know. And all that crap in the footwell is stuff I hurriedly pulled out of the Saturn when I traded it in. Guess I need to blow the dust off of the owner's manual. No snow start or anything that I can find, and it only does it on the first shift into drive after it's been sitting. I also found a VDC in a yard, but it was pretty well stripped except for two of the rear headrests and the auto climate control. I'm missing all 3 headrests on mine, but I'd rather find cloth ones. And good tip on the wind noise - it's not too bad on this car (much better than the Saturn's sunroof), but it's there.

Just figured out how to decode the VIN, it is indeed a cold weather package.

I just realized I'm only noticing it when I've backed out of a parking space and have the steering wheel cranked. In the FSM, step 10 of the road test is "transfer clutch - Check if the tight corner braking occurs when the vehicle is started with steering wheel held at fully turned position". I have no idea what tight corner braking is supposed to be, but maybe that's what's going on? It just feels like the car is struggling to move (but is moving) for like a quarter second with no increase in revs.

FSM also says there's a dipstick for the front diff. That's kind of a surprise to me. Also nice to see I can pull transmission codes by doing a bit of a dance with the ignition switch and shifter.

Hmm it might be. The way to check the center diff is to drive in a tight circle and if it's bad you will feel it binding up/jerking etc. Never had to deal with that but I think the part is pretty easy to change off the tail of the trans. Yea the dipstick for the front diff is on the passenger side down low and near the firewall.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Followed the FSM procedure for checking the fluid.

Found the dipstick.

First impression: fluid looks and smells brand new. Very light pink, no burnt smells. Seems a bit low for having just pulled it out after driving, I'm used to ATF dipsticks being well above the full mark before you wipe them, but it's been a long time since I owned one. Put it back in, waited a few seconds, pulled it again....

Yeah. It's really loving low. Not even on the dipstick low with it running, a little bit appears on the tip if you shut it off and wait a few minutes. I'm guessing whoever changed it last filled it cold, checked it like you would engine oil instead of driving it a bit or at least letting it warm up, and called it good. I'm about to go to bed (yay working at 10pm), but I'll grab some fluid to top it off after work in the morning. I'm amazed it drives as well as it does with how low it is, and I'm gonna chalk that weird "first time going into drive after sitting awhile" issue to it being low. I didn't see any ATF leaks.

Just found the paper copy of the carfax that the dealer gave me. New alternator and airbag at 137k at the dealer I was at yesterday (and an "electrical system inspected" entry at 128k, same dealer), new brake pads (not rotors :argh:) and an alignment at 131k (at a shop right down the road from me), and the last oil change on Carfax was also with the brakes. PO only had it for 6 months.

And it's been all over the drat place. I initially saw entries for NM, WA, BC, and TX. Then I noticed entries from South Dakota, but showing WA and TX addresses, so I'm guessing someone in the military had it and kept SD plates on it. It took 4 years to rack up 20k while it had a SD registration. It never shows actually being in SD. :iiam:

No binding up, driving in a tight right hand circle gets some clicking from a CV joint. Nothing in a left circle.

Is the mileage stored in the cluster? If so, any way to get it from the ECU? It spent several years in Canada (BC), and I thought you usually had to swap to a KM cluster with icon warning lights up there? If it is, I'm wondering about how accurate the mileage is, though even in the states it shows really low miles per year. Looks like the previous-previous owner had it from 2012 until this year, then the PO had it from February until last month.

I know it entered Canada with a little over 8k on it in 2004, and it looks like it had one vehicle inspection up there in 2010 showing 74999 km/46603 miles (funny that it shows both), then once it came back to the US in 2013, it was showing 94k (it shows service in both WA and BC in that period, so it went back and forth a bit). So it feels like the mileage should be pretty close even if it did get a cluster swap, or the cluster swap was done right with the odometer being reprogrammed.

I'll probably pull an Autocheck and see if I can get more info on this thing. Ran a quick one on Carproof, and it says it has 36 entries.. which matches the US Carfax report I have (makes sense, they're owned by Carfax now).

edit: looked as Transport Canada's website. Looks like no modifications are needed for a 2004 Outback (which is the same car), so it probably didn't need a cluster swap.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 15, 2019

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Nebakenezzer posted:

WTF, they got rid of leaded gas and this caused some sort of general contempt for shape and color

Definite contempt for color

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Dagen H posted:

Definite contempt for color
American social history, 1776 to present.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

InitialDave posted:

American social history, 1776 to present.

:captainpop:

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

STR posted:

edit: looked as Transport Canada's website. Looks like no modifications are needed for a 2004 Outback (which is the same car), so it probably didn't need a cluster swap.

I'm from BC. Can confirm that the gauge wouldn't have been swapped for any 'import' reason.

I have an 05 Outback, and had hard shifting issues with slightly low fluid. I've also put in a bit of seafoam's 'trans tune' which I felt smoothed things out a bit.

Depending on where in BC the car was, it was likely exposed to no/minimal road salt, so underside rust issues would be minor.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Super E/N post coming up.

My name is Powershift and i have a mental illness. I've been battling with suicidal depression and crippling anxiety for around 5 years now, fortunately with only 1 attempt, and luckily, a failed attempt at that. In August and September again i hit another new low with it and began to become almost manic, and attempting to numb myself to the many frustrations this world, and my life have to offer. For the third time i was at my limit mentally, emotionally, and physically, and after 3 days of torturing myself, finally went to the hospital, i guess to give somebody else a turn. I got the second 30 day ticket of my life, this time in a full-on institution. I never would have gotten through that without the amazing people i met in there, none of them staff. For a concise summary, 7 days into the 30 day stay i had it out with the doctor and got released. He was basing his treatment of me off some horrible preconceptions based on my situation and after our discussion he couldn't look me in the eye. Again, if it wasn't for the other patients, and my regular psychiatrist coming to visit i would have gotten out in a far worse state than i entered. I am doing somewhat better now, but it still feels like a struggle to make it to my next appointments, but i will keep fighting as hard as i can, because after my time in the hospital, i don't see it as an option anymore. I'm occupying my mind as best i can with car photoshops and wrenches, and am trying to better pace myself to avoid the intense physical pain that came with my previous efforts.

Unforunately, in my manic, careless state, i made an rear end out of myself in the capitalism c-spam thread, and made some horrible jokes both there, and in some threads here, and i again apologize. I became everything i hate, and i don't even have any drugs to blame it on. Everything i said was formulated by my own stressed, yet sober mind. I would ask that you don't read into it but it's right there in my rap sheet so :shrug:. I would also like to specifically apologize to Combat Queen and the other people like her here for my horribly tasteless jokes in the car news thread a few weeks back. I knew it was terrible, and could be perceived as transphobic but i didn't stop. I know how much more difficult life can be for you and i support you 100% and should never have belittled your struggle. I would also like to apologize to drgitlin and Tremek for being a total dick to the two of them, and doubling down when called out on it, and to anybody else I should be apologizing to right now

I'm going to go back to mostly posting pictures for a while, give more thought to jokes i make, and just check right out when i don't feel entirely well. I'm going to keep trying as hard as i can to get out of this hole. If i can abuse math and statistics to prove trucks are actually good, i can do the same to prove I can beat the statistics.

I love you guys. I'm sorry if it doesn't seem like it sometimes.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

STR posted:

You can see how beat the body is (aside from the hatch) in a quick walkaround video I did. Interior is clean aside from door pulls, and everything works except for the passenger side seat heater. Pretty sure I can pop the rear bumper back in (on the driver's side) with a little work (looks like a bent bracket related to the Camry dent hole).

This is cool. If you did a video series of you fixing this thing up I'd watch it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Powershift posted:

My name is Powershift and i have a mental illness. I've been battling with suicidal depression and crippling anxiety for around 5 years now, fortunately with only 1 attempt, and luckily, a failed attempt at that. In August and September again i hit another new low with it and began to become almost manic, and attempting to numb myself to the many frustrations this world, and my life have to offer. For the third time i was at my limit mentally, emotionally, and physically, and after 3 days of torturing myself, finally went to the hospital, i guess to give somebody else a turn. I got the second 30 day ticket of my life, this time in a full-on institution. I never would have gotten through that without the amazing people i met in there, none of them staff. For a concise summary, 7 days into the 30 day stay i had it out with the doctor and got released. He was basing his treatment of me off some horrible preconceptions based on my situation and after our discussion he couldn't look me in the eye. Again, if it wasn't for the other patients, and my regular psychiatrist coming to visit i would have gotten out in a far worse state than i entered. I am doing somewhat better now, but it still feels like a struggle to make it to my next appointments, but i will keep fighting as hard as i can, because after my time in the hospital, i don't see it as an option anymore. I'm occupying my mind as best i can with car photoshops and wrenches, and am trying to better pace myself to avoid the intense physical pain that came with my previous efforts.

Unforunately, in my manic, careless state, i made an rear end out of myself in the capitalism c-spam thread, and made some horrible jokes both there, and in some threads here, and i again apologize. I became everything i hate, and i don't even have any drugs to blame it on. Everything i said was formulated by my own stressed, yet sober mind. I would ask that you don't read into it but it's right there in my rap sheet so :shrug:. I would also like to specifically apologize to Combat Queen and the other people like her here for my horribly tasteless jokes in the car news thread a few weeks back. I knew it was terrible, and could be perceived as transphobic but i didn't stop. I know how much more difficult life can be for you and i support you 100% and should never have belittled your struggle. I would also like to apologize to drgitlin and Tremek for being a total dick to the two of them, and doubling down when called out on it, and to anybody else I should be apologizing to right now

I'm going to go back to mostly posting pictures for a while, give more thought to jokes i make, and just check right out when i don't feel entirely well. I'm going to keep trying as hard as i can to get out of this hole. If i can abuse math and statistics to prove trucks are actually good, i can do the same to prove I can beat the statistics.

drat. I hope you're okay and continue to be okay. I don't know about any of the forums drama, but you seem like an okay dude. And your photoshop skills are legitimately real and I encourage you to look into that as an outlet or employment.

Keep on truckin'.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Powershift posted:

I'm so, so glad that you are going to keep up the fight, really. Today is the second birthday of my best friend and someone who I loved so, so much that she won't be here for because she couldn't. Ive been thinking about her all day and your post is amazing.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Good luck Powershift, you made some mistakes and you sought help I wish you the best.

Also y’all really seemed to like that little Honda Today I imported. Here it is with its new owner after paint correction and a full detail. They are ecstatic about it.

Also my Japanese camper got released from mechanic and is at port waiting for the boat to USA.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I spent a week in Peru and the combination of the insane driving and seeing cars and brands we don't get in the US was just the best. I took an Uber in a tiny van.

That's all, thanks for listening.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ehhh, gently caress 'em, I'm drunk and they can loving like it. Or hand back control to people who can do imperialism competently.

Powershift posted:

Unforunately, in my manic, careless state, i made an rear end out of myself in the capitalism c-spam thread, and made some horrible jokes both there, and in some threads here, and i again apologize.
Don't even worry about it. No thread outside of AI matters, and everyone in AI is a oval office anyway.

Powershift posted:

Dig through the ditches and burn through the witches, kemosabe.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

InitialDave posted:

Or hand back control to people who can do imperialism competently.

You want to bring back the empire? And exactly what about the last three years would you define as competent?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Fermented Tinal posted:

You want to bring back the empire? And exactly what about the last three years would you define as competent?
Me , her Maj, and no-one in Westminster.

piss boner
May 17, 2003

Powershift posted:

<--- serial lurker checking in to say your life matters, please don't give up on you

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I think I have a cargo liner that will fit yours that I'll look for this evening. I know where it's buried just don't remember the condition. It's a Subaru one, even says Legacy on it I think. No idea what their worth but you can have it for shipping if it's worth it.

Some tricks with the auto: it will start in 2nd if you choose it from a stop. If you stab the throttle/step on it quick it goes into "power mode" (I still haven't figured the exact amount yet). Putting it into 3rd around town when you don't need OD is supposed to make it shift a little later though it doesn't seem to all that much, sometimes it does. I heard but haven't verified yet that putting it in 1st gives you 50/50. I have the FSM for the 4eat and I keep forgetting to look that one up. I don't know if any of those apply if you have VDC as I have no experience with the Subaru version or the 3.0 for that matter.

I definitely recommend changing the filter on the outside and the pan one is actually just a screen that needs to be cleaned on yours and STRs. I did that to my new old XT trans with 180k on it and my current one with 218k and it was worth it. The pan filter gets full of clutch material so I clean that all out along with the pan and magnet put on a new pan gasket and replace the amount that comes out with synthetic dextron. Also the pan has a drain like they all loving should so you only get half covered in tranny fluid rather than an entire washdown of you and the driveway/shop floor.

Good stuff to know, thanks! As far as I know, the trans behaves the same on the VDC model, just that it has the stability control via ABS. I do know that the trans does learn how you want to shift, to an extent - the manual says as much, and mine definitely changed its behavior.
Guess I should schedule that filter clean and change.

Nebakenezzer posted:

If you need an automotive laugh, I found this site that's pretty cool:

https://boxartden.com/collections/gallery/index.php/Vintage-Model-Kit-Catalogs-1950-1999/Revell/Revell-1980/Revell-1980-04-960

The site is about the box art on model kits, all very cool, but the above link is to Revell's 1980 catalog of its new car kits, and WTF, they got rid of leaded gas and this caused some sort of general contempt for shape and color

I have the Midnight Cowboy custom pickup on this page: https://boxartden.com/collections/gallery/index.php/Vintage-Model-Kit-Catalogs-1950-1999/Revell/Revell-1980/Revell-1980-09-960 - I built it in like 4th or 5th grade, and it actually came out decently. Unpainted for the most part, of course.
I also have the '55, '56, and '57 Chevys from the previous page, though those have been in production for a very long time. I got them in grade school, and the '55 and '56 are in... poor shape. The '56 is still how my dad and I built it, as a mild Kustom. It's molded in metallic green! One of the things I loved about that particular trio of kits was all the opening panels, and the fact that they bothered to mold the crank, piston and piston bore, and intake valley details into the block, and even rocker details and the undersides of the heads, so you could display the engine partially disassembled. This is the same SBC they used in the "parts pack" add-ons.
1980 is about right - I would have been 11.

I also have the visible 4-cylinder turbo engine from this page: https://boxartden.com/collections/gallery/index.php/Vintage-Model-Kit-Catalogs-1950-1999/Revell/Revell-1980/Revell-1980-14-960
It's the Ford Mustang/Capri 2.3L carbureted turbo engine, BTW.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Powershift posted:

I won't pretend to understand true depression, but I know what a jackass I can be if my brain is being all negative and poo poo, so I get a bit of it. Current world events don't really help that feeling, which sucks tremendously. I'm glad you managed to get out of that hospital before permanent damage occurred. I like reading your poo poo, and laughing at what you come up with in your Photoshop thread. You matter to us.
I gotta say, it took some strength to come back and apologize. That puts you a leg up on a lot of the so-called human race, I think, for whatever my opinion is worth.
Keep on truckin', my dude.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

InitialDave posted:

Me , her Maj, and no-one in Westminster.

I'm all for bringing back the empire, just no monarchy, and no current politicians from any extant government.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Fermented Tinal posted:

I'm all for bringing back the empire, just no monarchy, and no current politicians from any extant government.
Civis Davidus Sum it is then.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Alarbus posted:

Nice! Huh, Doylestown is more or less around the corner, I wonder what dealer it is.

Pretty sure there's a few of us in the area, post if you want to meet up for coffee or beer or something when you pick it up.

Had no idea there were local goons. I'm right near there too.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Applebees Appetizer posted:

And FOUR WHEEL DISCS! It was the first car to get them after the Vette, the brakes were amazing. Overall just a great car back then, the girls loved it too :quagmire:
The Volvo 240 had 4-wheel disc brakes in 1974. However it had no option for T-Tops, so..

Powershift posted:

If i can abuse math and statistics to prove trucks are actually good, i can do the same to prove I can beat the statistics.
Keep abusing the math, you're doing better than you know to be able to identify the things that are troubling you and to make deliberate changes to help improve your mental state. Keep on doing the work, buddy - the AI Pit Crew is here to support.

A Small Car
Aug 24, 2016

Powershift posted:

Another lurker posting to say keep it up. I may not know you, but I enjoy your posts and photoshops and look forward to many more of them. FWIW, don't get discouraged if it takes you a long time to make the changes you want in your life, if you have the occasional (or more than occasional) backslide, etc. I've been where you are and it takes a lot of time and effort (and mistakes), but you can make the changes stick. Everyone's different, but for me it made a huge difference talking to the people around me (family, friends, internet friends, co-workers) and letting them know where I was at mentally and what I was trying to accomplish. I think the majority of people are pretty understanding if you just talk to them. And if they aren't, odds are you don't really want them around you anyway.

Unrelated to that, I changed my bathroom faucet out today and I'm pretty sure the cold water supply pipe has been leaking into the wall slowly for the past several decades. Thank god I'm renting :D

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

I know you're a great person and I'm sorry you're going through such a terrible time.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Powershift posted:

Sorry you're going through that. :sympathy:

Ether Frenzy posted:

The Volvo 240 had 4-wheel disc brakes in 1974. However it had no option for T-Tops, so..

If you're citing Volvo, the 140 and 1800 had them in '67. The amazing brakes are one of the main reasons my dad stuck with Volvo after years of bouncing around from car to car every year or two. He kept his first Volvo for over 20 years.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Powershift posted:

Thanks for posting this, I don't have much I could add to help other than I know how you feel. I've been pretty goddamn lonely for the last few (many) years thanks to...well, my own unwillingness to unfuck myself and get out of the house. So, I spend most of my time trying to distract myself with video games and TV, I don't recommend it, it doesn't work. It's very important you have your hobbies, pushing the darkness back out as much as you can, and so are the other people in your life. It's way harder than it should be to make lasting friends, and even just to build up a group of like-minded people to hang out with, but I'm told it's not impossible. I'm glad you're still with us, the rest of us need every possible example of someone fighting off the black dog for another day.

Don't worry about your rap sheet, despite how much better this forum is than other places, it's still the internet and it's ok to be a poo poo sometimes. Take the probie and forget about it.

A Small Car posted:

Unrelated to that, I changed my bathroom faucet out today and I'm pretty sure the cold water supply pipe has been leaking into the wall slowly for the past several decades. Thank god I'm renting :D

Yep, the upstairs bathroom leaks a tiny amount of water into my place every time they take a shower, they've tried to fix it multiple times but this is the standard lovely apartment complex built cheaply in the 80s so it's a lost cause. Ceiling hasn't come down yet, but I dread to think what's growing up there. Not my problem!

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 16, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

redgubbinz posted:

Thanks for posting this, I don't have much I could add to help other than I know how you feel. I've been pretty goddamn lonely for the last few (many) years thanks to...well, my own unwillingness to unfuck myself and get out of the house. So, I spend most of my time trying to distract myself with video games and TV, I don't recommend it, it doesn't work. It's very important you have your hobbies, pushing the darkness back out as much as you can, and so are the other people in your life. It's way harder than it should be to make lasting friends, and even just to build up a group of like-minded people to hang out with, but I'm told it's not impossible. I'm glad you're still with us, the rest of us need every possible example of someone fighting off the black dog for another day

That's kind of what ended up leading me deeper. Using video games and movies to distract and entertain until the movies stop entertaining and the games become another frustration.

For somebody who has never really been there, I'm sure everybody has been somewhere so horribly uncomfortable that you would give anything to get out of it. At a family meal at a nice restaurant when THAT aunt starts yelling at a waiter, that kind of thing, but it's constant, 24 hours a day, even when there's nothing that should be causing it. It becomes a chore to get through every hour. the second you tire of a tv show or video game the thoughts creep back in, and the anxiety cranks back up.

My best advice is to ask for help the second you think you need it. If you wait your thoughts could convince you not to when you absolutely do need it. I'm going to upgrade my thing to get PMs and if anybody wants to chat about what to expect, a lot of it would be Canada specific, and what options you have for help to start digging out i would be glad to share my experiences. If i had reached out 3 years ago i would be doing much better now, but i also wouldn't have known how bad it can get.

Thanks for all the kind words and support. I've got a full week of appointments next week and for the first time look forward to seeing a doctor, and dedicate every hour i can to rebuilding myself. After getting this stuff out, for the first time in a long time i feel like the worst is truly behind me. Thanks so much.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Also: Jeremy Clarkson, 1978 Eaton's fall catalog:

there is no way 70s Clarkson's hair would fit in that toque.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Powershift posted:

After getting this stuff out, for the first time in a long time i feel like the worst is truly behind me.

Pretty big of you to air everything out and apologize (not that I thought you needed to, expected it, or anything) in the first place. Depression sucks and puts me in a dark place every now and again, so you're definitely not alone. Glad you're doing something about it and facing it head on.

The world will be in a better place with two V6s crammed into an old land barge, anyway. :glomp:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Powershift, much love man. Good for you for seeking help. I hope everything continues to get better for you.

Captain McAllister posted:

I'm from BC. Can confirm that the gauge wouldn't have been swapped for any 'import' reason.

I have an 05 Outback, and had hard shifting issues with slightly low fluid. I've also put in a bit of seafoam's 'trans tune' which I felt smoothed things out a bit.

Depending on where in BC the car was, it was likely exposed to no/minimal road salt, so underside rust issues would be minor.

Carfax shows renewals happened in Vancouver, along with one single emissions check during its stay (which makes me think it wasn't actually living in Vancouver, probably just the nearest major DMV office? or they did it by mail, or online, or...). The only rust I've found has been on heat shields, everything else looks pretty drat good. The car looks like it was well cared for until the last PO; with the condition of the paint and the low miles (for its age), I'd guess it spent winters in a garage. Or just didn't get used much in general; it took 6-7 years for them to add 40k to it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

STR posted:

Powershift, much love man. Good for you for seeking help. I hope everything continues to get better for you.

Carfax shows renewals happened in Vancouver, along with one single emissions check during its stay (which makes me think it wasn't actually living in Vancouver, probably just the nearest major DMV office? or they did it by mail, or online, or...). The only rust I've found has been on heat shields, everything else looks pretty drat good. The car looks like it was well cared for until the last PO; with the condition of the paint and the low miles (for its age), I'd guess it spent winters in a garage. Or just didn't get used much in general; it took 6-7 years for them to add 40k to it.

thanks

BC did a whole bunch of stupid stuff with their emissions testing program. by the time the program died in 2014, only vehicles newer than 2006 had to be tested. Vancouver doesn't really get snow, but it doesn't exactly get sun either, so no paint fading.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Powershift posted:

For somebody who has never really been there, I'm sure everybody has been somewhere so horribly uncomfortable that you would give anything to get out of it. At a family meal at a nice restaurant when THAT aunt starts yelling at a waiter, that kind of thing, but it's constant, 24 hours a day, even when there's nothing that should be causing it. It becomes a chore to get through every hour. the second you tire of a tv show or video game the thoughts creep back in, and the anxiety cranks back up.

This is the best description of my personal brand of social anxiety/depression I've ever heard, I always likened it to being in a perfectly nice, calm social setting, and then getting a feeling like ants are crawling all over and I can't make it stop.

Anyways, glad to hear that you're trying to get the 'ol brain back under control, you're a gem of this particular subforum.

Plz photoshop a commercially available shaving product on the front of the horrible new Silberado, which I had the misfortune of seeing in person today.

Fake edit: I saw that I misspelled "Silvarado" as soon as I typed it in, but I prefer it this way.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I actually saw a new silverado with the bars painted body color and it looked good with something breaking up the gaaaaaaaaw

Still, the chrome ones are horrid.

I did both a 1500 and 2500

When the mid-gen refresh actually looks like this remember it's not my fault. :colbert:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
My dad bought an upper-level trim 1500 about a month ago and I still can't get over how not-GM the headlights look.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
What'd you change?

Okay, lame joke aside, please do a ridiculously tall one with Gru in the driver seat a la Despicable Me

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Powershift posted:

I actually saw a new silverado with the bars painted body color and it looked good with something breaking up the gaaaaaaaaw

Still, the chrome ones are horrid.

I did both a 1500 and 2500

When the mid-gen refresh actually looks like this remember it's not my fault. :colbert:

LMAO I’m totally sending this to my buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

If you stab the throttle/step on it quick it goes into "power mode" (I still haven't figured the exact amount yet).

The SVX had this as well. For the SVX at least, there was a really easy / basically free mod you could do that involved running a wire from an unused pin in the PCM to a dash button that would allow you to activate the "power" mode whenever you wanted, with no throttle stomping required. I did it on mine. I'm not sure of everything power mode did, but it definitely at least firmed up / quickened shifting (which also had the happy effect of decreasing wear on the trans, since the firmer / quicker shifts generated much less heat than the default "soft" shifting pattern the TCM was programmed with) . I'd be surprised if there wasn't a way to do this with other Subarus that have the power mode thing.