Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute

Suburban Dad posted:

Nice looking car, Tremek.

Getting snipped today. You done good boys, but your work here is done. :ohdear:

Hope it went well for you. Mine was ten years ago, and it was one of the best choices I've made. Enjoy resting on the couch for a day or two and be careful not to try moving at normal speed too quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I'm at a training course and I honestly can't remember the last time I was this bored

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Powershift posted:

Super E/N post coming up. ...
I love you guys. I'm sorry if it doesn't seem like it sometimes.
:glomp: Broke brains are no fun, we're here for you man. It took a lot to drag yourself to the hospital and even more to post this. I can't pretend I've been through what you have but if you ever need to talk feel free to PM me for a phone number, I won't have poo poo for advice but I'll listed for as long as you want because I know sometimes people just need to vent.

Powershift posted:

That's kind of what ended up leading me deeper. Using video games and movies to distract and entertain until the movies stop entertaining and the games become another frustration.
I buried myself in video games this past year when I was dealing with broke brain issues. It's a reoccurring thing for me whether it's my body or my mind being lovely I'll retreat to video games because it's the only time I can really ignore whatever is going on.

I didn't even notice the edit on the first one, I'm still not 100% sure it's been hosed with. TI hate the massive grills and gaping maw look every manufacturer is doing.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

UnkleBoB posted:

Hope it went well for you. Mine was ten years ago, and it was one of the best choices I've made. Enjoy resting on the couch for a day or two and be careful not to try moving at normal speed too quickly.

Thanks. :) So far I'd say I'm doing alright. Wasn't really too painful and just kinda feels like I got kicked in the beans and have that ache in the lower part of my abdomen. Otherwise feeling pretty decent.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

STR posted:

Followed the FSM procedure for checking the fluid.

Found the dipstick.

First impression: fluid looks and smells brand new. Very light pink, no burnt smells. Seems a bit low for having just pulled it out after driving, I'm used to ATF dipsticks being well above the full mark before you wipe them, but it's been a long time since I owned one. Put it back in, waited a few seconds, pulled it again....

Yeah. It's really loving low.

So yeah, to follow up. Checked it before leaving work, after it'd been sitting overnight. It was dead between the "cold" add and full marks. There's one problem here.. you're supposed to check it with the engine running, not with it off. Started the engine, checked it again... nothing. Dumped a quart of the finest store brand Dexron III knockoff down it, drove it around a bit to get it warmed up (it's a very warm fall.. it's in the high 60s outside). Checked it after a few miles, and it was up to the "cold - add" mark. So still low, but it definitely made a difference in how it shifts. That weird feeling going into drive after it's been sitting seems to be gone. The occasional 2 to 3 flare seems to be gone. It shifts considerably firmer. So ballpark guess, it was probably 2 quarts low (now 1 quart low). I think I know who changed it too - Carfax shows new brake pads (NOT rotors, even though the rotors are turbofucked) and "mileage recommended service" done at a chain brake shop 10 minutes from me, about 7k miles ago. I have no idea if the oil has been changed since then - the oil reeks of gasoline from being driven running pig rich for so long anyway, but it's almost on the full mark when checked after sitting overnight.

The new fluid was a slightly darker color than what's in there - I have a sneaking suspicion that it got a flush with Dexron V, which supposedly doesn't play too nicely with the older transmissions that require Dexron III. The spin-on filter looks original too.

Gonna order new rotors tomorrow. I wonder if I can get away with reusing the brake pads, since they're so new? Or should I just go ahead and replace them anyway?

Powershift posted:

BC did a whole bunch of stupid stuff with their emissions testing program. by the time the program died in 2014, only vehicles newer than 2006 had to be tested. Vancouver doesn't really get snow, but it doesn't exactly get sun either, so no paint fading.

It was in BC from 2004 until 2010, so I'd think it should have seen more than one emissions test in that time frame (the car is a 2003). I'm assuming they did it like TX and only did it if the car was registered in a major city?

Also FWIW, I've been through similar depression and suicidal ideation. Got a couple of 72 hour holds, and a week-long one once. Never a 30 day one except when I checked myself into rehab. But I know at least some of the pain you're going through all too well. Stay strong. :glomp:

Biodome posted:

This is cool. If you did a video series of you fixing this thing up I'd watch it.

I'm not much of a talker IRL, and feel really weird talking to a camera... or being on camera in general. I have a mild case of Tourette's that leads to some weird twitches that I'm pretty self-conscious about, and I'm also really self conscious about how I look in general (particularly my teeth, I have a severe case of meth mouth from years of hard drugs).

tl;dr no video series unless I'm not actually on camera. But I'm not fixing the body up anyway, aside from maybe slapping new bumpers on and maybe new headlights. It doesn't need much mechanically aside from rotors, an axle, and possibly wheel bearings (which kastein was kind enough to inform me is a complete bitch on these :argh:).

fartpipe, you said there's usually 4 bolts holding the headlights on? I found one on top, 2 behind the grill. It looks like one may be buried behind the bumper on this generation. :sigh: So I'm gonna try the Harbor Freight headlight polishing kit first. The lights are just abysmal on this (the high beams are like the low beams on the Saturn.. and the Saturn's lights were pretty bad), but I have a feeling it also has the original bulbs.. or at least really old ones. Need to figure out how to aim the fogs too, if it's possible - they do absolutely nothing noticeable. I know one is aimed really low for some reason (probably a bent bracket). It'd be nice to have them working decently for heavy rain and fog.

Did the US versions run the low beams (at a reduced brightness) all the time for DRLs? Or was that something enabled when it was moved to Canada? It looks like it's just a relay that gets slapped into the underhood fuse box on this particular car.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Oct 16, 2019

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Good luck Powershift. We all know you're a good dude. Hope you can get the help and support you need.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Powershift posted:

Super E/N post coming up.

My name is Powershift and i have a mental illness. I've been battling with suicidal depression and crippling anxiety for around 5 years now, fortunately with only 1 attempt, and luckily, a failed attempt at that. In August and September again i hit another new low with it and began to become almost manic, and attempting to numb myself to the many frustrations this world, and my life have to offer. For the third time i was at my limit mentally, emotionally, and physically, and after 3 days of torturing myself, finally went to the hospital, i guess to give somebody else a turn. I got the second 30 day ticket of my life, this time in a full-on institution. I never would have gotten through that without the amazing people i met in there, none of them staff. For a concise summary, 7 days into the 30 day stay i had it out with the doctor and got released. He was basing his treatment of me off some horrible preconceptions based on my situation and after our discussion he couldn't look me in the eye. Again, if it wasn't for the other patients, and my regular psychiatrist coming to visit i would have gotten out in a far worse state than i entered. I am doing somewhat better now, but it still feels like a struggle to make it to my next appointments, but i will keep fighting as hard as i can, because after my time in the hospital, i don't see it as an option anymore. I'm occupying my mind as best i can with car photoshops and wrenches, and am trying to better pace myself to avoid the intense physical pain that came with my previous efforts.

Unforunately, in my manic, careless state, i made an rear end out of myself in the capitalism c-spam thread, and made some horrible jokes both there, and in some threads here, and i again apologize. I became everything i hate, and i don't even have any drugs to blame it on. Everything i said was formulated by my own stressed, yet sober mind. I would ask that you don't read into it but it's right there in my rap sheet so :shrug:. I would also like to specifically apologize to Combat Queen and the other people like her here for my horribly tasteless jokes in the car news thread a few weeks back. I knew it was terrible, and could be perceived as transphobic but i didn't stop. I know how much more difficult life can be for you and i support you 100% and should never have belittled your struggle. I would also like to apologize to drgitlin and Tremek for being a total dick to the two of them, and doubling down when called out on it, and to anybody else I should be apologizing to right now

I'm going to go back to mostly posting pictures for a while, give more thought to jokes i make, and just check right out when i don't feel entirely well. I'm going to keep trying as hard as i can to get out of this hole. If i can abuse math and statistics to prove trucks are actually good, i can do the same to prove I can beat the statistics.

Hey man, no need to apologize but thanks regardless. One of my loved ones has fought with mental health challenges virtually their entire life and I have some experience from the outside looking in. Good on you for acknowledging your current challenges and continuing to develop your coping mechanisms, support systems, and fighting to get your head in a better place.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Powershift posted:

Super E/N post coming up.

My name is Powershift and i have a mental illness. I've been battling with suicidal depression and crippling anxiety for around 5 years now, fortunately with only 1 attempt, and luckily, a failed attempt at that. In August and September again i hit another new low with it and began to become almost manic, and attempting to numb myself to the many frustrations this world, and my life have to offer. For the third time i was at my limit mentally, emotionally, and physically, and after 3 days of torturing myself, finally went to the hospital, i guess to give somebody else a turn. I got the second 30 day ticket of my life, this time in a full-on institution. I never would have gotten through that without the amazing people i met in there, none of them staff. For a concise summary, 7 days into the 30 day stay i had it out with the doctor and got released. He was basing his treatment of me off some horrible preconceptions based on my situation and after our discussion he couldn't look me in the eye. Again, if it wasn't for the other patients, and my regular psychiatrist coming to visit i would have gotten out in a far worse state than i entered. I am doing somewhat better now, but it still feels like a struggle to make it to my next appointments, but i will keep fighting as hard as i can, because after my time in the hospital, i don't see it as an option anymore. I'm occupying my mind as best i can with car photoshops and wrenches, and am trying to better pace myself to avoid the intense physical pain that came with my previous efforts.

Unforunately, in my manic, careless state, i made an rear end out of myself in the capitalism c-spam thread, and made some horrible jokes both there, and in some threads here, and i again apologize. I became everything i hate, and i don't even have any drugs to blame it on. Everything i said was formulated by my own stressed, yet sober mind. I would ask that you don't read into it but it's right there in my rap sheet so :shrug:. I would also like to specifically apologize to Combat Queen and the other people like her here for my horribly tasteless jokes in the car news thread a few weeks back. I knew it was terrible, and could be perceived as transphobic but i didn't stop. I know how much more difficult life can be for you and i support you 100% and should never have belittled your struggle. I would also like to apologize to drgitlin and Tremek for being a total dick to the two of them, and doubling down when called out on it, and to anybody else I should be apologizing to right now

I'm going to go back to mostly posting pictures for a while, give more thought to jokes i make, and just check right out when i don't feel entirely well. I'm going to keep trying as hard as i can to get out of this hole. If i can abuse math and statistics to prove trucks are actually good, i can do the same to prove I can beat the statistics.

:(

Sorry I called you out for those posts my dude. We all have our struggles, let us know what you need if we can help.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Whee, jury duty. Every time I’ve done this before (never selected) the company I worked for paid jury pay. Since I’m a contractor, this one may not (though they said they were going to give me some vacation days since I’ve been with the contracting agency for over two years, I haven’t seen the PTO available on my paycheck yet.) How do people who are hourly do this? It’s costing me over $200/day net to “do my civic duty”. We’re not hand to mouth or anything, but it still stings.

STR: our Outback has low beams as DRLs, and has never been to Canadia as far as I’ve found. Just WA and AZ, until I brought it to TX.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Rhyno posted:

:(

Sorry I called you out for those posts my dude. We all have our struggles, let us know what you need if we can help.

No worries, friend.

Darchangel posted:

Whee, jury duty. Every time I’ve done this before (never selected) the company I worked for paid jury pay. Since I’m a contractor, this one may not (though they said they were going to give me some vacation days since I’ve been with the contracting agency for over two years, I haven’t seen the PTO available on my paycheck yet.) How do people who are hourly do this? It’s costing me over $200/day net to “do my civic duty”. We’re not hand to mouth or anything, but it still stings.

STR: our Outback has low beams as DRLs, and has never been to Canadia as far as I’ve found. Just WA and AZ, until I brought it to TX.

I got the jury duty notice once but it was cancelled before i even set foot in the court house.

And yeah, Jury duty here only pays $50/day, it could be a huge financial pain. Ontario is even worse.

quote:

Jurors receive the following payment for serving on a jury:

From day one to ten: No fee.
From day 11 to 49: $40 per day.
From day 50 to the last day of trial: $100 per day. Trials of this length are rare.

So you could basically end up working a full time job for a month for $800.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Oh, it’s even better here. $10 for the first day.
On a happy note, we were released. Actually happy, as it was a child custody case in the Family Law Court, and the parents decided to work together a bit more.
So now I’ve got the day off. Oh, I *could* go into work, for like half a day, but why ($$...)? I got stuff I could do at home, like keep attacking the garage.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
So many farking People going through IVF stuff in Ai : Sending good vibrations your way . We did IVF 3 times, very nearly successful one time. I wish everyone the very very best luck!

We ended up adopting after we got done paying for all that mess. Looking back I sort of wish we’d just gone ahead and adopted instead of 3 years of expensive medical techno drama.

Powershift good on you for getting some help. I missed the forum drama, but have always enjoyed tales of Canadian truckin and now the photoshops. Ai is indeed listening and cares.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

everdave posted:

Good luck Powershift, you made some mistakes and you sought help I wish you the best.

Also y’all really seemed to like that little Honda Today I imported. Here it is with its new owner after paint correction and a full detail. They are ecstatic about it.

Also my Japanese camper got released from mechanic and is at port waiting for the boat to USA.

TAKE MORE PHOTOS OF THIS IMMEDIATELY, INSIDE AND OUT! :kimchi:

Also Powershift, you make me laugh and I love your insane photoshops so I'm glad you're doing better my dude.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

This situation calls back to a funeral I attended for one of my uncles this past weekend, he took his life about three weeks ago. First I was told he took his life because of a cancer diagnosis (something that I really enjoyed hearing, having a girlfriend with a recent cancer diagnosis and who has made attempts on her life when she was younger. I was a bit pissed at my mom for immediately telling me that he killed himself because of that), then I was later told it was because he had severe chronic back pain and he couldn't live with it anymore. It was about that time that I realized that he had probably lost a battle with some from of mental illness and my family being overwhelmingly conservative just don't understand that and were clawing for excuses. That kind of attitude discourages people from finding help and winds up with them losing their life.

I don't know you Powershift, but I'm glad you decided to find help.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Darchangel posted:

Cool, figured as much. There's a marked DRL relay in the underhood box, but there's so few of these on the road, and so many cars with DRLs, that I just haven't noticed.

I had a random guy in a super nice lifted 4 Runner tell me "Nice Subie dude!" the other day while I was filling up. I had no idea how to respond, but to be fair, he was looking at the good side. I really wanted to ask him WTF he was on, but it does look decent on the driver's side.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Black88GTA posted:

The SVX had this as well. For the SVX at least, there was a really easy / basically free mod you could do that involved running a wire from an unused pin in the PCM to a dash button that would allow you to activate the "power" mode whenever you wanted, with no throttle stomping required. I did it on mine. I'm not sure of everything power mode did, but it definitely at least firmed up / quickened shifting (which also had the happy effect of decreasing wear on the trans, since the firmer / quicker shifts generated much less heat than the default "soft" shifting pattern the TCM was programmed with) . I'd be surprised if there wasn't a way to do this with other Subarus that have the power mode thing.

Yea I had planned to do that to mine. I just have to put a switch in to ground terminal 4 iirc from the TCU to get power mode. Not sure if that works on the newer stuff when they made a bunch of changes in like 98-00. With how great it's been running lately I might get around to that if I didn't just jinx it.

E: fkn autocorrect

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

STR posted:

I had a random guy in a super nice lifted 4 Runner tell me "Nice Subie dude!" the other day while I was filling up. I had no idea how to respond, but to be fair, he was looking at the good side. I really wanted to ask him WTF he was on, but it does look decent on the driver's side.

Subarus have a cult following that the Saturn Ion did not achieve.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, don't forget, you're legally required to wave at other Subaru drivers now.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

some_admin posted:

So many farking People going through IVF stuff in Ai : Sending good vibrations your way . We did IVF 3 times, very nearly successful one time. I wish everyone the very very best luck!

We ended up adopting after we got done paying for all that mess. Looking back I sort of wish we’d just gone ahead and adopted instead of 3 years of expensive medical techno drama.

That's the route I think we might take depending on how this second round ends. It loving sucks the whole way around, but knowing a bunch of other folks have gone through this makes it a little better.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

Yeah, don't forget, you're legally required to wave at other Subaru drivers now.

Unless you own a newer one. Those people are disgusting snobs.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Unless you own a newer one. Those people are disgusting snobs.

Truth

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Man, first total burnout, then crippling anxiety and depression problems? I thought we were going to be talking about cars, not rehashing my mental health history

Fist bump, Mr. Powershift. I too ended up in a place where I had to have any distraction to try and feel normal. After total brain collapse (ohh, fun, this analogy will make sense in this crowd, I basically had no capacity for stress. Anything bigger than the smallest stresses sent me to this total brainlock redline of not being able to do anything.)

Since you are a Canadian, let me share things:

1. I'm not sure what kinda show "Beachcomers" was, but at least two episodes involved (ahem) Gordon Pinsent as a evil wizard from Newfoundland

2. this little gem from November 1978:

The headline is "1977 most successful year ever for airport". The man in the picture is prominent local citizen Jack James, airport manager. And this is the picture of Mr. James they went with:

Also, last friday at the museum I work at, I show up to discover a mess in the parking lot, broken ground glass, wood bits that look to be from something like a shipping pallet, a bunch of scrapes on the parking lot asphalt, and a bit of rebar somebody was probably using as a prybar. In one corner of the lot was a newish-looking fullsize Ford pickup. The last bit isn't super uncommon, but proved to be connected. The pickup didn't move, and after the weekend a board member got a RCMP to look at the thing before it was towed. Turns out, the truck is stolen (VIN and the plates have no connection, and the plates were never registered) and the truck itself was from British Columbia. So......now I want to know what all that decrating nonsense was about.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Bike or Blazers? I bike a lot but don't follow basketball.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Old man points continue to rack up, hip pain is generic posture, new elbow pain is a combo of tennis elbow and apparently I tore a muscle I can't pronounce. gently caress getting old. I had to get my wife to crack the coffee machine open for me earlier.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I'm 29 on Friday and have regular hip and knee pain on my right leg.

I mostly attribute it to road racing the last 12 years or so, the couple of SV's I've always run had the exhaust system route up and out just beyond the right foot peg, requiring me to have my ankle twisted weird due to big dumb clown feet and my hip and knee were always sore on that side after races.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

cakesmith handyman posted:

Old man points continue to rack up, hip pain is generic posture, new elbow pain is a combo of tennis elbow and apparently I tore a muscle I can't pronounce. gently caress getting old. I had to get my wife to crack the coffee machine open for me earlier.

Try being old and then having a car wreck set you back even more. In one swoop my neck is hosed and my back is twice as bad as it was before (scoliosis) not sure i could take anything else like that at this point, I'd end up in a wheelchair. Pretty sure my skateboarding career is over now too :(

Also got setback with my workout routine, in one month after the accident I lost probably a year of hard work. It's crazy how fast you lose muscle with inactivity.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

blk posted:

Bike or Blazers? I bike a lot but don't follow basketball.

Seems kind of obvious since you bike but don't follow basketball.

I found a really cheap Miata. I'm going to look at it this weekend if it's still available. I don't really fit but wife is on board with a fun convertible so it will be her toy.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

Man, first total burnout, then crippling anxiety and depression problems? I thought we were going to be talking about cars, not rehashing my mental health history

Fist bump, Mr. Powershift. I too ended up in a place where I had to have any distraction to try and feel normal. After total brain collapse (ohh, fun, this analogy will make sense in this crowd, I basically had no capacity for stress. Anything bigger than the smallest stresses sent me to this total brainlock redline of not being able to do anything.)
I've been on sick leave from work since may, a few weeks here and there in a mental institution. I've been receiving ECT treatment (electro chock, like in the movies).

Trying to recover at home is challaging since i live next door to a construction site, currently theyre cutting stones for the walkways in the yard and they work from 0700-1800 each day.

For an OT part, i have not been able to open the drainplug for my engine oil, but its been loosing oil slowly so like the idiot i am I've just been adding oil every month.
Well guess what more use swapping your oilfilter is? I cannot understand how i did not think about this, I've slowly been killing my engine.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Nebakenezzer posted:

Fist bump, Mr. Powershift.

:unsmith::respek::unsmith:

I get the same way, I can handle some social stuff but then just hit a wall and my brain checks out.

Something i love in those old newspapers is the opinions section. There have always been people fighting for what's right, even against an overwhelming majority, to fix problems the majority now recognizes. I sit and read old newspapers as a hobby, and i think you have my absolute dream job :allears:

Both Jan 5, 1980:

My biggest shame is that i've never seen an episode of beachcombers, and only 1 episode of the littlest hobo.

I just started an episode of Littlest Hobo on youtube and who else do i see but Michael loving Ironside

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08O9j0rLXqk

e: That's a talented pup, shame he never did Shakespear. "Alas, poor Yorik, I chew him Horatio"

Powershift fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 17, 2019

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Today I ticked off an AI thing on the closest thing I've got to a bucket list
Drove the Amalfi Coast in this:

1970 Alfa Romeo Spider
First time driving on the wrong side of the road but it didn't take too long to stop punching the door when trying to change gear.
Never driven something without power steering before so looking forward to having Hulk arms tomorrow, it had no seatbelts and all round drum brakes too so that was interesting.

The drive itself was extremely scenic and not too difficult - the hardest bit was navigating Sorrento. Well worth doing but I think I'll take a coach trip next time to relax a bit more.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This water leak is going to be the end of my sanity.

Because the water was shut off during the initial inspection, we didn't catch it. And because it was pouring rain during the follow up, we didn't catch it. I've looked into ti and we don't really have any recourse due to the nature of the leak.

Very basically: Somewhere in our main water supply we have a leak. The copper line is sheathed in a PVC pipe so the water is flowing right to the end of the pipe which is 6 inches from the sump pump basin. There was a patched hole in the utility room right in this spot which made us think the leak was right there. It was not. The pipe is allowing the water to flow directly to the drainage tile and while this is a headache, it's saved the house from any actual damage. So that's a plus I guess. But the first leak detection place couldn't pinpoint it and the second guy had to cancel the appointment for today. The plumber that was here thinks the leak might be in a section of pipe that runs up the outside of the basement wall. If so it's a matter of digging a hole. But it could also be beneath the basement floor. Which would involve cutting a hole in the concrete. And that won't be the cheap option.

I've spent so much goddamned time on this poo poo and chased this problem in multiple wrong directions so far. I love owning this house. The backyard seemed to be a nightmare but I've discovered that I love clearing and landscaping. Every little headache or hiccup has worked itself out except for this water problem and it's really starting to effect my mental state.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

do not, my friend, become addicted to water

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fender Anarchist posted:

I'm like 87% water, too late.

Edit: and this has stressed me out so bad that I can't do a simple toilet valve repair.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

This water leak is going to be the end of my sanity.

Lol welcome to home ownership my man.

It's not complete without a few mental breakdowns :v:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Lol welcome to home ownership my man.

It's not complete without a few mental breakdowns :v:

Don't forget the physical breakdowns. gently caress landscaping.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Powershift posted:

Don't forget the physical breakdowns. gently caress landscaping.

When I get to the stone placement and planting I may agree. But thus far the clearing and destruction has been pretty great.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

freelop posted:

1970 Alfa Romeo Spider
First time driving on the wrong side of the road but it didn't take too long to stop punching the door when trying to change gear.
Never driven something without power steering before so looking forward to having Hulk arms tomorrow, it had no seatbelts and all round drum brakes too so that was interesting.

The drive itself was extremely scenic and not too difficult - the hardest bit was navigating Sorrento. Well worth doing but I think I'll take a coach trip next time to relax a bit more.

Noice. :kimchi:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

freelop posted:

1970 Alfa Romeo Spider

:discourse:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Also REVIEW THE CAR PLEASE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Fender Anarchist posted: