Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

So is there a way to negate VR sickness in blade and sorcery?

H3VR gives me no issues, Pavlov is fine, but for some reason B&S gives me a hell of a lot of eye strain and a bit of nausea. First game to really do it to me :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Time and practice mostly. I had to do it with literally every VR game i played.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

H3VR gives me no issues, Pavlov is fine, but for some reason B&S gives me a hell of a lot of eye strain and a bit of nausea. First game to really do it to me :saddowns:
Git Gud? I dunno, I’ve never gotten VR sickness in any game except one beta game where you were on a fast janky hover bike that did tons of jumpy roll whenever you turned and stuff.
Generally the cause of VR sickness is from dissonance between your expected movement vs perceived movement, and when there is a difference in these two things your brain tries to reorient and can’t figure out what’s going on.
The cause could be that B&S is using head oriented movement vs controller oriented movement and you aren’t used to the difference yet so you aren’t getting the expected movement and your brain is freaking out. You can try changing the locomotion method in B&S and see if that helps, however, unlike in shooting games, in melee games head oriented movement is by far the best method.
Otherwise the usual motion acclimation assistants like eating candied ginger etc is the plan until you are used to it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Unity engine games almost always mess with me the worst, and B&S is a Unity game. That might have something to do with it, the scale in those games always seems "off".

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I've had a PSVR for a while now and am wanting to move on to something that won't take up the PS4/TV and have wires and boxes laying everywhere.
Is the quest comparable to the PSVR at all (in regards to quality/performance)? And is there any reason why I should hold off on buying the quest right this second?

The idea of an un-tethered VR set that you just put on and play seems amazing to me and my kids. Also 400$ is also right at my price limit.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
No. Everyone should own a quest. gently caress Facebook a million times sideways and all but the Quest is magic.
The only question is if you should own a Quest AND an Index.
I think the answer to the is yes if you want the best PCVR experience.
YMMV

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Been playing Skyrim VR and man this stuff is crazy. VR is a loving trip guys. Had some vr sickness at the start but it seems changing the controls so that my character turns with my headset really helped.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

spacetoaster posted:

And is there any reason why I should hold off on buying the quest right this second?

Low but non-zero chance of a $350 Black Friday sale?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

spacetoaster posted:

And is there any reason why I should hold off on buying the quest right this second?

I mentioned a few pages back, buy it from Walmart.com and you'll have next-day delivery to most addresses, and a 90-day return window, far longer than any other retailer who stocks it. If there's a Black Friday sale you'll be able to have them match it since the return window is also the price match window.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Professor Latency posted:

Probably a long shot, but is there anything like Polybius? The sense of the speed mostly, but art style too. The closest thing I've seen is Thumper, which I love but doesn't scratch the same itch.

How about polybius?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/906120/POLYBIUS/

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Zero VGS posted:

I mentioned a few pages back, buy it from Walmart.com and you'll have next-day delivery to most addresses, and a 90-day return window, far longer than any other retailer who stocks it. If there's a Black Friday sale you'll be able to have them match it since the return window is also the price match window.

That's an awesome idea. Thanks.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Hows your framerate? That can send me into sicky times with smooth movement games.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Why isn't there a VR game where you play as a 200 foot kaiju wrecking a destructible city and fighting other monsters?

This is an oversight.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Owlbear Camus posted:

Why isn't there a VR game where you play as a 200 foot kaiju wrecking a destructible city and fighting other monsters?

This is an oversight.

VRobot is what you want. It's on Steam and has a free demo.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
In the early days somebody made a Godzilla simulator but it got shut down pretty hard.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

King Kaiju will at least satisfy your building-smashing needs.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm so close to beating my first expert+ song

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

eonwe posted:

I'm so close to beating my first expert+ song

I believe in you

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I escaped Helgen and went to try out the swimming mechanics in the river. While heading into the river I hear wolves howling in the distance, and its dark as gently caress. As I step back onto the shore I hear them, extremely close and I start freaking the gently caress out and blasting fire into the bushes.

11/10 I don't know why people are so critical about skyrim vr, shits wack.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I guess I'll give it another go. Is there a nice bundled package of model, shader and texture mods to make it prettier?

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004
As far as I know there's still no support for left handed players using a bow short of "switch every control L-R including movement and turning".

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Professor Latency posted:

Probably a long shot, but is there anything like Polybius? The sense of the speed mostly, but art style too. The closest thing I've seen is Thumper, which I love but doesn't scratch the same itch.

Rez infinite probably won't meet your speed requirements but it’s a similar sort of abstract shooter

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Owlbear Camus posted:

I guess I'll give it another go. Is there a nice bundled package of model, shader and texture mods to make it prettier?

Frustratingly, there isn't. All my searches for looking up skyrim mods gives me links to blogs where they have like 40 different mods. I've been slowly picking and testing some different graphical mods, its tricky to see what will work in vr and what wont.

And of course, what will make my 1070 explode :shepface:

Right now I got SMIM, Vivid Weathers, Realistic Water Two and Skyrim Flora Overhaul. Trying to find something that makes the flora not hilariously 2d cutouts. I guess that how it was in OG Skyrim as well? It just was never really noticeable cause you aren't right up in there like in VR.

E: Also I can't use bows worth *poo poo*

Leal fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 16, 2019

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Leal posted:

E: Also I can't use bows worth *poo poo*

Get the eagle eye perk ASAP, it shows the arrow trajectory instead of zooming in. Also there's a mod to delete the obnoxious crosshair

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lemming posted:

A ton of what the Quest is doing is Carmack magic that started with working on the GearVR, which became the basis for Go which is the basis for Quest. The Cosmos is still just a dumb peripheral that's completely driven by the PC; if they had phone tethering working, I think you could start making an argument for them, but, like, Oculus is doing poo poo like hand tracking using the existing phone cores that's driving the inside out tracking. It's insane. Everyone else is falling further behind, not catching up.

The Quest actually came first, that's why the Go has better optics etc. Quest was taking longer than expected so they designed and shipped the Go to fill the gap and bring something to market

Really curious to see what the Quest 2 looks like

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Seems like going for a caster/archer type build will help mitigate some of the "wagle your sword at them until they run out of hitpoints" nature of the combat system?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Skyrim chat: rush 'bound bow' ASAP, grinding whatever skill tree it needs isn't a big undertaking and the spell book is hidden in a bucket in a fort somewhere. Bows are the most fun thing about Skyrim, if they didn't work as well as they do my playtime wouldn't be half as long.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Hadlock posted:

The Quest actually came first, that's why the Go has better optics etc. Quest was taking longer than expected so they designed and shipped the Go to fill the gap and bring something to market

Really curious to see what the Quest 2 looks like

It might have existed first but the Quest was definitely able to use software and learnings they got from a released Go.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Owlbear Camus posted:

No bundle i know of, but theres some guides:

This has a list of the VR specific things https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nvhqSMb6DfE434COZzFTVJ71E12qluKfGtOtdwrsRU0/edit

and this is a good list of general mods and guides for skyrim: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qbh7GE30xLyso7MA6u3xpNJNdL5r2V2WP8SjZ4VpHLQ/edit

sorry if the last is a bit like giving you homework, but once you've spend a semester studying the course material you should be ready to mod skyrim.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I tried using the 3d flora mod cause the 2d plants was reeeeally messing with my precious immersion, but it was stuttering my game really badly so I removed it. Then I had a bunch of purple plants and bushes. I tried everything, reinstalling the other flora mods I had to try and get their texture in, verifying game integrity, nothing worked. So now I gotta do a complete uninstall and reinstall. The real Skyrim starts here.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Owlbear Camus posted:

Seems like going for a caster/archer type build will help mitigate some of the "wagle your sword at them until they run out of hitpoints" nature of the combat system?

Yes, most people suggest (myself included) you go bow/caster only for Skyrim. The waggle a sword is so much less compelling than playing as Legolas or Emperor Palpetine.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Stick100 posted:

Yes, most people suggest (myself included) you go bow/caster only for Skyrim. The waggle a sword is so much less compelling than playing as Legolas or Emperor Palpetine.

I started a Dual Wield sword melee thing.

Oh boy. Wiggling down insane hard stuff with no gear was pretty hilarious. Killing things way harder than you should be able to because the game gives zero fucks and lets you just waggle waggle.

Wont lie. Its fun, But for the wrong reasons.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

EbolaIvory posted:

I started a Dual Wield sword melee thing.

Oh boy. Wiggling down insane hard stuff with no gear was pretty hilarious. Killing things way harder than you should be able to because the game gives zero fucks and lets you just waggle waggle.

Wont lie. Its fun, But for the wrong reasons.

IDK what you're talking about, the attack rate is still limited to what it is in normal skyrim

e: actually it's bows that you can machine gun as fast as you want

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

BMan posted:

IDK what you're talking about, the attack rate is still limited to what it is in normal skyrim

e: actually it's bows that you can machine gun as fast as you want

Since when? My (Launchish) play through (That lasted a few hours because LOL bugs) that crashed over and over begs to differ. I literally ran around just swinging wildly murdering everything in my path with pretty much no gear and basic 1h swords. So unless they added something to "prevent it" no, you can still do a manic amount of small white damage hits over and over and over fast as you can swing.

Are you referring maybe to the trigger for big swings? That is limited, But it kinda don't matter.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 16, 2019

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I don't know what it was like at launch, but there is definitely a rate limit in the game now.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Also you can do an INI tweak to increase the required swing speed to attack, which forces you not to waggle and I recommend it.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Tom Guycot posted:

sorry if the last is a bit like giving you homework, but once you've spend a semester studying the course material you should be ready to mod skyrim.

Uuuuugh.

I was indeed genuinely hoping that someone had put together a "if you have a beefy rig, just install this one mega-mod to make the game look nice" package after all these years.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Owlbear Camus posted:

Uuuuugh.

I was indeed genuinely hoping that someone had put together a "if you have a beefy rig, just install this one mega-mod to make the game look nice" package after all these years.

Yeah the Mass Effect ALOT installer puts everything else to shame.

edit: to make this relevant, I recently installed the 1st person mod with Mass Effect 2 and used vorpX to try for a VR experience. Sadly the headlook doesn't work, maybe because of the controller mod, since it no longer uses the mouse. :(

Mike the TV fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 16, 2019

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I could not confront my fears and ended up quitting out of Skyrim when the big spider showed up. I like to think I've gotten far better at handling my arachnophobia, but there is a large difference between not freaking the gently caress out when I see a spider on a wall the other side of the room and a spider bigger then a shack leaping at my face.

Playing with VRIK is a trip. Besides making my shadow do the YMCA cause I'm a mature adult, being able to use my bow, then put it over my shoulder and let out a few blasts of fire before reaching behind my side and pulling out my sword is amazing. This is it, this is the future of video games. Time to invest in an omnidirectional treadmill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I lost my fear of vr spiders when I realized they acted more like badly-animated puppets than real spiders

I love being the teleporting bow wizard in skyrim though.