Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I do appreciate that there's a decent selection of mods packaged with the game to just turn off more divisive features like the filth system. Easier than writing it out yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Yeah, the mods are pretty solid. Also highly suggested to use the mod that reverts CBMs back to being able to be hand-installed and the other that makes autodocs install them with 100% success.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Coolguye posted:

get your standard cudgel but don't expect it to make you an invincible god-emperor the way it did back in 0.C.

rip random name dude

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
yeah the cudgel is still far and away the best weapon you're going to get in the first 24 hours but now there's actually a reason for a lot of other stuff to exist and there are still situations where you're just going to want to say "oh that is a LOT of dudes, i think i will go this way now"

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Stamina is much less forgiving, be very careful engaging multiple enemies at once in melee.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Holy poo poo how long has walk to map destination existed? (m for map, move cursor, shift-W x2)

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Holy poo poo how long has walk to map destination existed? (m for map, move cursor, shift-W x2)
Pretty new. Apparently there's a drive system for this as well, so you can punch in a destination and not have to manage every turn in the road manually, but I don't know if it's functional yet.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
It is functional, I use it a lot. A few bugs, and you want to make sure the road is clear, but it's a great time saver.

As far as filth, soap should work. I never have needed to wash clothes for leather anyways, that stuff is abundant as is. Find a sports car and cut the leather seats up, or just snag leather clothing from houses, it's all clean.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Coolguye posted:

i'd file those tickets, both of those sound like legit bugs. and in the meantime, i'd just flatly turn off the filth system via mod, this isn't the only rough edge with it. i like what they were trying to do with it but the implementation has enough holes in it that it's more problematic than helpful.

it's a very lovely system as implemented

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
That’s how most of the new systems get implemented. A lovely system approved on the basis it gets fixed later but then no one fixes it.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Did that, got it to work with detergent but not soap. I’m on the experimental build from October 12th.

E: If this is a legit bug, I’ll fire off a PR. Just want to make sure I’m not missing something obvious.

i did try this out last night, and with the washboard & rag item i was able to clean using either soap or detergent

weirdly, it didn't let me combine the two, so if i needed 11 cleaning items but had 10 bars of soap and 10 detergent, i couldn't do it in one batch

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Save the detergent for washing machines, they're a lot more efficient with it, and you can do other things while it runs.

What is the issue people have with the filthy clothing system anyways? Aside from just not liking it (there's a mod that's been there from the start to turn it all off.).

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The filth system really mystifies me because it seems to exist completely independently of any obvious design goal, or indeed any design philosophy at all aside from a near-pathological obsession with realism.

I could maybe see it as an attempt to limit the ready availability of replacement clothing, if not for the fact that a) looting buildings for clothes is still trivially easy and b) all filth actually does is add tedious interim steps in between "oh boy, cargo pants" and "I love my new cargo pants, which I am wearing now." It doesn't especially influence the challenge or gameplay dynamic of the early game, it just makes it more irritating (which is remarkable as the early game is already an interminable grind prone to severe irritation).

So, basically, it's a time sink with no payoff and no observable role in making the game fun or challenging (which is why I always mod it out).

:shrug:

The melee stamina nerfs are... not that bad in the grand scheme for lategame characters, but holy hell do they ever gently caress city starts for characters with low or no combat skills. That change kind of makes sense overall, but it really does underline just how arbitrarily brutal the early game can be - the pain-spiral death by a thousand cuts is dramatically worse now, as you get cornered and bit, and have to slowly beat a zombie to death under pain penalties while racking up more pain and exhaustion, and then you have to take several turns to catch your breath at 50% speed while racking up more pain and injury, and at that point you've taken 50 bite wounds and are surrounded by a village's worth of undead.

I don't even know what to make of the new body weight system. You can now accumulate some body fat by consistently eating well, and that's... bad, apparently, in a scarcity-driven game featuring harsh winters and limited access to processed food :raise:

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Oct 16, 2019

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
For my own part I play Cataclysm to pretend I'm desperately surviving with my wits and a bit of luck. It makes those rare moments where you seek out a safe living in a well stocked safehouse seem cozy rather than tedious. The thing is, as far as penalties for wearing dirty clothes go, I am unconvinced your average desperate survivor is gonna care at all. It's the end of the earth! Sometimes that means wearing dirty pants!

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Turning down the zombie speed to 50% and resistance up to 500% has been a good sweet spot for challenge, to me. Also turning up the spawns and item density by a few notches helps with the tedium.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

What is the issue people have with the filthy clothing system anyways? Aside from just not liking it (there's a mod that's been there from the start to turn it all off.).

mechanically, the bar it creates isn't very large. to clean stuff you need a very common house loot, a plank, and a water source; it's very easy to clean something unless you're in an all wilderness all the time type of game, and in that case you don't have a big pile of dirty clothes anyway. it also doesnt really address a problem; if you imagine a world where dirty clothes aren't cleanable at all, all you lose out on is one particularly easy access route to poo poo like leather, component clothes (like tool belts), and some of the higher tech materials like kevlar.

haptically, "filth" seems to be narrowly defined as "loaded with zombie goo and also worn by a zombie". if you murder a person with an axe, their clothes don't become filthy. if you get covered with so much blob slime that you can barely move, your clothes are still pristine. you apparently know ancient techniques for murdering zombies while preventing goo from getting on your clothes. even wearing the same underpants for months doesn't get them 'filthy'. on top of that, there's plenty of items they have that aren't filthy; a zombie's belt is too gross to even cut up and get usable leather from, but the meat pizza they're carrying is delicious.

without a ~realism~ justification, it should have a mechanical justification, and it really doesnt have either

stuff like the battery changes make both a mechanical and haptic sense, even if people have complaints about the implementation. fueling your welding rig by sliding more AAA pulled from a game boy into your electric RV is Video Game Dumb. the idea of a very particular zombie goo hurdle that needs day 1 gathering materials to solve is just normal dumb

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Angry Diplomat posted:

The melee stamina nerfs are... not that bad in the grand scheme for lategame characters, but holy hell do they ever gently caress city starts for characters with low or no combat skills. That change kind of makes sense overall, but it really does underline just how arbitrarily brutal the early game can be - the pain-spiral death by a thousand cuts is dramatically worse now, as you get cornered and bit, and have to slowly beat a zombie to death under pain penalties while racking up more pain and exhaustion, and then you have to take several turns to catch your breath at 50% speed while racking up more pain and injury, and at that point you've taken 50 bite wounds and are surrounded by a village's worth of undead.

This is the point, it exists to build up the wall of the early game. Cataclysm has long since transformed into a game where the devs view their job as to prevent people from getting past the early game i.e. IVAN, and the players get there with either increasingly convoluted and tedious means or the same method but now with fewer options to prove you're part of the in group that gets Cataclysm. Anyone who wanted anything else from the game has been kicked out, and as long as they make it harder and harder to get past the early game no one will notice the vast empty wastes of 'to be developed' that exists beyond that and ask them to do that, because those parts are hard and require a clear vision and actual code additions.

IMO the filthy clothes thing works the same way; it doesn't add a lot of challenge per-se, but it prevents you from literally picking up armor off a dead police/army zombie and that I think is as far as it was intended. Sure, you can clean them off at a safe house with relatively easily obtained materials, but by the time you have a safe house you've 'won' the game.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
is stats through skills broken

been playing a character for a while with a couple skills in the 6s and still have straight 8s

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Cataclysm's current "realism" bent is intentional and desired by the chief maintainer. Here's a chunk of a quote from Granade on the Cataclysm channel of the roguelike discord:

quote:

a new wave of contributors appeared, but for some reason they get the direction I'm trying to take the project in a way that a lot of past contributors didn't seem to, so the realism-based simulation train is firmly on track at this point

He was talking about the Cataclysm dev/release cycle and also how he ended up in control of the repository. Long story short, he likes and wants the "realism" so it's not going away.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

chiefnewo posted:

Cataclysm's current "realism" bent is intentional and desired by the chief maintainer

yeah but """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""realism"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" has jack and poo poo to do with the dirty clothes thing

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Changes are only made to increase "realism" if it means making the game more tedious, micromanagement heavy, and unintuitive to the hoi polloi. We desperately gotta model vitamin D deficiency over a 1 week timespan, but breaking into an unlooted gun store with completely intact gun safes will not get you a single bullet that matches any gun in the shop.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah that is fundamentally the problem whenever people cite "realism" as the sole justification for their design decisions. It's always "the kind of realism I want. Not the kind of realism you want".

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
ive been hollerin for years that consolidating all the gun skills into "guns" and "launchers" would be both more realistic and more fun but ofc the demand for lovely rear end grind is just as omnipresent as the demand for pseudorealism

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah that is fundamentally the problem whenever people cite "realism" as the sole justification for their design decisions. It's always "the kind of realism I want. Not the kind of realism you want".

i really like the 'realism' where wearing literally any clothes is a painful, encumbering experience. you put on (sucks in breath) jeans!??? oh my god you can barely move! what is wrong with you!?? every waking moment must be agony!

not to mention the dreaded doom of backpacks. wearing a backpack is essentially impossible and you might as well kill yourself now if you even have to think about trying because you will just be unable to do anything, ever.

everrrrrrrr

EDIT: also, the realism where most people are violently incompetent and know nothing about the world they live in, and the people who are best equipped to survive are magic idiot savants who have never learned anything in their life which magically maintains the purity of their inner abilities to its maximum potential, allowing them to master the new foreign world of the apocalypse.

also the magic where you can learn about something by reading about it in a book for a few days. as most people know, college is worthless and if you could just get the textbooks somehow without paying for these classes and courses you could master any skill in weeks!

literally the vast, overwhelming majority of characters you could make could not even drive a car down a road without skidding off into the grass, something literally every adult and many teenagers can and do accomplish on a daily basis even with the presence of many of these other hulking metal beasts in close proximity moving at the same speeds.

BlondRobin fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 16, 2019

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Elite thread title nailed it: Your inconvenience is my immersion. Granade always come across as one of the biggest boring-rear end turbonerds to walk the earth, so of course he wants a nerd's version of "realism". Fortunately, the modding community exists, and so does cheat engine, so gently caress your realism.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

nightwisher posted:

Elite thread title nailed it: Your inconvenience is my immersion. Granade always come across as one of the biggest boring-rear end turbonerds to walk the earth, so of course he wants a nerd's version of "realism". Fortunately, the modding community exists, and so does cheat engine, so gently caress your realism.

unfortunately while the modding community can mod out inconvenience they can't mod in all the content the current dev team isn't making

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

mormonpartyboat posted:

washboard & rag item ... weirdly, it didn't let me combine the two

This was probably it, I think I was trying to wash a whole bunch of patches at once.

Finally got my first non-OP* character off the ground and wow, combat is way harder now. I lucked into an early switchblade which carried me through to melee 2. Around the same time I was able to get a full set of leather armor crafted. I went to go and clear a house and got jumped by a shocker zombie which drat near ended my run; hubris is cured for now.

* Silat is not OP and I’ll fight dodge anyone who says different :colbert:

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The dev team doesn't code new stuff because only 1(one) person on the team has C++(or whatever the main language of the game is) skills and he seems to be mostly interested in developing Magiclysm, a mod that put magic in the game.
Everybody else just mods because that is all they can do.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Although Magiclysm seems pretty fun, from what I've dabbled with.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Save the detergent for washing machines, they're a lot more efficient with it, and you can do other things while it runs.

There's already a downside to looting clothes from enemies: it's often very low durability. The filth system adds a second penalty, but unlike repairing clothes it's not a perform-till-finished action and doesnt give you skill gain or anything. It just makes you press more buttons.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
yeah i can't say i ever ran into any situation where it was advantageous to wear zombie clothing for more than a few minutes precisely because its durability is asinine. i like the filth IDEA insofar as clothing should come in various states that you might need to deal with to get real use out of the article, but applying it only to zombie clothing basically just ensures that i will never see any real value in anything a zombie has worn and i feel punished for trying to be resourceful in that way.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

If there's anyone new reading the thread, don't forget about shift-G to drag poo poo where you want:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Mzbundifund posted:

Changes are only made to increase "realism" if it means making the game more tedious, micromanagement heavy, and unintuitive to the hoi polloi. We desperately gotta model vitamin D deficiency over a 1 week timespan, but breaking into an unlooted gun store with completely intact gun safes will not get you a single bullet that matches any gun in the shop.
While they're definitely less common, there have been a few changes to realism recently that make the game easier. Like guns don't really take damage from misfiring anymore, which I was surprised to learn is actually realistic, and so instead of needing to frequently repair your guns you just gotta swab them for fouling from time to time as upkeep, and it's pretty painless.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Larry Parrish posted:

There's already a downside to looting clothes from enemies: it's often very low durability. The filth system adds a second penalty, but unlike repairing clothes it's not a perform-till-finished action and doesnt give you skill gain or anything. It just makes you press more buttons.

How do you figgure? I auto sort all my dirty clothes into the washer and turn it on when I have a full load. its 1 or 2 button presses for like 15 items as opposed to constantly activating a needle and thread.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

mormonpartyboat posted:

is stats through skills broken

been playing a character for a while with a couple skills in the 6s and still have straight 8s

oh ok so now it's a hidden buff instead of a change to your base stats

still can't figure out how to get xp with stats through kills but at least im getting something

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
So the Butler/Maid start is actually incredible because it seems hardcoded to spawn you close by at least one set of armour and weapons - the one where I survived the surrounded start has me in a full set of fitted chainmail armour and a broadsword. Sure everything else you spawn with is garbage and the mansion is surrounded by ~75 zombies but if you can escape and grab some poo poo on the way out it really does set you up nicely.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rynoto posted:

So the Butler/Maid start is actually incredible because it seems hardcoded to spawn you close by at least one set of armour and weapons - the one where I survived the surrounded start has me in a full set of fitted chainmail armour and a broadsword. Sure everything else you spawn with is garbage and the mansion is surrounded by ~75 zombies but if you can escape and grab some poo poo on the way out it really does set you up nicely.

I don't know if that's hard coded so much as mansions are just like that. There's a reason why they're considered to be a major target to visit early in the game - usually barely any zombies in them and a TON of useful poo poo.

Mantari
May 8, 2005
:D
Lipstick Apathy
This game loving owns, I just found the pulp fiction easter egg andnow I have a motor bike and a katana.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Okay autonomous M249 CROWS turrets have crazy amounts of ammo if you can take them down. (I did fine running them over with a well-armored car.) I took out two of them and I am now sitting on just over 3000 5.56mm rounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
One of the newer lab finales is a pilotable combat mech :swoon: