Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I think if you want to play a heavily team based multiplayer game, but you're unwilling to use voice because of maybe encountering an idiot sometimes you should just not play the game. Ive been in voice for every match since the game released and toxic people are the minority. Like an insignificant minority. Just use voice and you'll have a better time playing the game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Wildtortilla posted:

I think if you want to play a heavily team based multiplayer game, but you're unwilling to use voice because of maybe encountering an idiot sometimes you should just not play the game. Ive been in voice for every match since the game released and toxic people are the minority. Like an insignificant minority. Just use voice and you'll have a better time playing the game!

Counterpoint: I'm consistently in plat at endorsement level 4, because you can play very effectively and coordinate by using the chat commands and common sense.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

https://twitter.com/Slasher/status/1183874969203347456
Lol

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The events at blizzcon are going to be great...

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

As a kid I always heard that if you kept digging you'd eventually get to China

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
https://twitter.com/NintendoNYC/status/1183940424467173378

lmao

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Oh my god, ahaha.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.
Why?? what happened? Is this cause of Blizzard's garbage/disastrous HK moves? Poor Nintendo :(

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Truecon420 posted:

Is this cause of Blizzard's garbage/disastrous HK moves? Poor Nintendo :(

I'd say yes. Blizzard's taking preventative measures to not gently caress themselves over further, just like the whole not allowing player cams or post-match interviews on camera for collegiate hearthstone. But just the act of cancelling the event outs them.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
It's probably more likely that one or more of the VAs got threatened because nerds go 0-11 with everything

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The lootboxes you get from the role queue are still standard lootboxes during the event :geno:

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Macaluso posted:

The lootboxes you get from the role queue are still standard lootboxes during the event :geno:

Whaaaaattttt

Looks like I won't be doing any tanking for awhile!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Macaluso posted:

this is worse than the hong kong thing

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

So, Riot is better than Blizzard atm, right? Because they just revealed the class-based team FPS they're working on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iGU6PctOBg

[edit] The timing to announce that was perfect lol.

teagone fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 16, 2019

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

teagone posted:

So, Riot is better than Blizzard atm, right? Because they just revealed the class-based team FPS they're working on:

They are not - Tencent has a much higher percentage ownership of Riot compared to Blizzard and they put out a statement letting everyone know that they also don't want people talking about Hong Kong.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Zinkraptor posted:

They are not - Tencent has a much higher percentage ownership of Riot compared to Blizzard and they put out a statement letting everyone know that they also don't want people talking about Hong Kong.

Ok, gently caress Riot then too.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

teagone posted:

[edit] The timing to announce that was perfect lol.

This seems like a weird as gently caress video to announce a video game with. I would've expected a music video that shows off the cast and some neat gameplay clips or something like that, but instead they go about talking about problems that 90% of their playerbase doesn't know or care about over rough looking alpha footage

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 16, 2019

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Minorkos posted:

This seems like a weird as gently caress video to announce a video game with. I would've expected a music video that shows off the cast and some neat gameplay clips or something like that, but instead they go about talking about problems that 90% of their playerbase doesn't know or care about over rough looking alpha footage
It doesn't have a release date and they said not to expect "more info" until 2020, so I'd expect a release date of late 2020 at the earliest. That's a lot of work remaining to do; this video is more about confirming existence and reassuring people that Riot can make an FPS than being a trailer.
People absolutely care about cheaters and netcode (and it's a point in their favor over Call of Duty, which has been doing a bad job at this recently). Both CSGO (a tactical shooter) and Overwatch (a hero shooter) have good netcode, so it's important to know that it will do a good job of it. "Eliminating peeker's advantage" is saying "we will have the best netcode there is".

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Minorkos posted:

uh quite the opposite, they're addressing an extremely dedicated knowledgeable market upfront and as always the enthusiasm will spread

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Maybe they wanted to take advantage of the blizz controversy and announce something while it’s current, but don’t actually have anything to say... hence anti cheat and netcode.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

That game does not look fun at all.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

idk how you can tell with like a minute of pre alpha gameplay but alright

what's there kinda looks more like cs with abilities than it does ow but who knows what it'll be when it comes out

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
If it's overwatch with less healing and shields hard to see how it cant be a better game.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Calling it now: It'll be free to play and you'll have to grind/pay for heroes, and they'll have a big profit motive to make new heroes OP at release. They probably want to siphon off a bunch of R6: Siege players who don't mind being monetized in this way.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AkumaHokoru posted:

you can always just not respond to bullshit and focus on callouts and helpful info

the problem with this is when you encounter someone who has nothing but negative, unconstructive things to say and they end up poisoning the rest of the team

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

prom candy posted:

Calling it now: It'll be free to play and you'll have to grind/pay for heroes, and they'll have a big profit motive to make new heroes OP at release. They probably want to siphon off a bunch of R6: Siege players who don't mind being monetized in this way.

It works for them in League. :v:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Kyrosiris posted:

It works for them in League. :v:

And it seems to work for Paladins.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Manatee Cannon posted:

idk how you can tell with like a minute of pre alpha gameplay but alright

what's there kinda looks more like cs with abilities than it does ow but who knows what it'll be when it comes out

Exactly, the TTK seems way to fast for a game with abilities. Why bother with flashy poo poo when you can shoot someone in the head and they die instantly. The game looks like all widow deathmatch- the game.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Oh I'm not saying that monetization strategy doesn't work, I'm just saying I won't play a game that uses it and I think that might be true of a lot of Overwatch players and CS:GO players.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
yeah it's absolutely aiming for the csgo/r6s market, which are the two biggest Games as a Service fpses. Overwatch is kind of small fries at this point, I don't think role queue's really done enough to elevate the game back into peoples conciousness. That or they play it and go "ah, fighting shields and healing and trying to coordinate anything to kill stuff with 5 random people still isn't that fun"

Dietrich posted:

Exactly, the TTK seems way to fast for a game with abilities. Why bother with flashy poo poo when you can shoot someone in the head and they die instantly. The game looks like all widow deathmatch- the game.

Rainbow Six Siege is very heavily class based, with unique traps and abilities for every single operator, and that game's hugely popular. The abilities are what let you approach from an unexpected angle: think smoke grenades or flashbangs in counterstrike. I think ultimately people just tend to stick with games that have low ttk in the long run because it's more satisfying to be able to actually solo carry a game. You see direct returns on getting better, whereas Overwatch tends towards putting yourself in the mind set of you being unable to influence the outcome of like 40% of your matches.

Minera fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 16, 2019

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Minrad posted:

yeah it's absolutely aiming for the csgo/r6s market, which are the two biggest Games as a Service fpses.

I think ultimately people just tend to stick with games that have low ttk in the long run because it's more satisfying to be able to actually solo carry a game.

Just lol if you think the biggest GaaS is anything other than Fortnite, or that players at large generally favor low-TTK. Here is a helpful comparison of Fornite and CS:GO. Blizzard's monthly players for all games is 37 million and we know only 10m of that is WoW, so you can bet OW is matching or beating CS:GO. And based on Steam stats, Siege is a tiny fraction of either.

Idk how to break it to you, but there are many millions of low-skill players out there who aren't you. Being able to carry a game requires a game full of other people who can't... and their money spends just fine. Fortnite has a fairly high TTK and its absolute dominance speaks for itself. Overwatch allows someone with poo poo twitch reflexes to hop on a hero like Brigitte or Reinhardt and still feel like they're making an impact. This is a large and profitable audience.

Riot isn't aiming for the twitch niche because it's the biggest audience (it's not), they're doing it because many hardcore gamers are already their fans, and they'll have a much easier time carving out a slice there than in Fortnite or OW's territory. Siege might have classes, but they're not that flashy moba flavor. That's going to be a new niche for Riot to own.

I agree with the above posters that grind/pay-to-unlock sucks rear end (sadly this is a minority opinion), and also that a game with flashy abilities but low TTK sounds weird and unfun (lookin at you, Destiny 2). But that's just, like, my opinion man.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 16, 2019

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Unsinkabear posted:

Overwatch allows someone with poo poo twitch reflexes to hop on a hero like Brigitte or Reinhardt and still feel like they're making an impact.

Yes hello, this is why I play Overwatch (actually I usually play Mercy and Moira, but same reasons)

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ashcans posted:

Yes hello, this is why I play Overwatch (actually I usually play Mercy and Moira, but same reasons)

Me too friend, me too. :buddy:

Theoretically D.va and Winston should be in the list, but I just can't get them to click. Too fast-paced I guess?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
The other thing that OW brings to a more casual audience that other games don't is fairly low consequences for death. In Fortnite, R6, CS:GO, etc. if you get popped early you can wind up spending more of your gaming session dead than alive. For olds and casuals like me the fact that you're on a fairly short respawn timer is pretty nice. If I only have an hour or two to play it's nice to spend the majority of that time doin stuff vs. not doin stuff. RIP to DPS players sitting in queue though i guess

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Unsinkabear posted:

Just lol if you think the biggest GaaS is anything other than Fortnite, or that players at large generally favor low-TTK.

Fortnite has an extremely low TTK. There are multiple ways to instantly down/kill people.

here's like, a numbers comparison if you want it

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wY_yJgMaFZqgRwo7GM5vvpL7rHIPWTkDk162AazxVPM/edit#gid=0

almost every overwatch hero has a time to kill on a 200 health hero that's not getting healed that's higher than every single weapon in fortnite

Unsinkabear posted:

Blizzard's monthly players for all games is 37 million and we know only 10m of that is WoW, so you can bet OW is matching or beating CS:GO. And based on Steam stats, Siege is a tiny fraction of either.

and just to reply to this bit, the last unique player count for overwatch was 40 million, and I think the last ubisoft put out for siege (a game with a huge console and population on their client uplay, which iirc ubi has in the past claimed was larger than their steam population) was 50 million. and siege is a game that has a season pass and pay to unlock operators and cash only skins and soon battle passes on top of loot boxes, whereas ovewatch uses only the latter option. there's not really any more concrete information than that to draw on for player numbers, but i don't think it's any coincidence that we're now in our third year of event reruns with no changes beyond new cosmetics in Overwatch

Minera fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 16, 2019

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Their MAU is 32 million now.

EDIT: an earlier version of this post wondered about comparing unique accounts but I edited it out because i didnt read the discussion's full context

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 16, 2019

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

yeah just unique accounts, because there's not really any useful way to interpret the MAU across all blizzard games as far as any particular game is concerned. both titles are pay to play, so comparing unique players is a bit more accurate.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Seems fair

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

The article I saw that 50 million number quoted in said it was total players, as in copies of Siege sold, not monthly actives. It's anecdotal, but I don't know a single person who plays Siege and I struggle to believe that it has 50 million MAU. That is a huge number for any game, let alone such a special butterfly with a high skill barrier to entry. Fortnite had 70mil last year and even after falling somewhat it still regularly breaks into the mainstream news. Siege barely gets mentioned in gaming news.

Then again, I don't hear much about LoL anymore either and I just googled that to compare... they had 100 monthlies in 2016 and now that they expanded into China are claiming 8 million concurrent users on average? :psyduck: So I clearly don't understand what people want or why, lol.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Minrad posted:

Fortnite has an extremely low TTK. There are multiple ways to instantly down/kill people.

here's like, a numbers comparison if you want it

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wY_yJgMaFZqgRwo7GM5vvpL7rHIPWTkDk162AazxVPM/edit#gid=0

almost every overwatch hero has a time to kill on a 200 health hero that's not getting healed that's higher than every single weapon in fortnite

Building drastically increases TTK in Fortnite though, especially at the high end where players are stupid fast at building. Can't just use damage numbers for comparison; building is a variable that'd have to factor in somehow since it's a core gameplay mechanic.