Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Whoa that is cool, thanks

Yeah, to add to hobbesmaster's post, the all-flying stabilator tailplane (where the whole stabilizer rotates to serve as an elevator) was one of the key inventions that made controlled supersonic flight possible because it's much less susceptible to those problems. No (or hardly any) aircraft prior to the X-1 had stabilators.

In the Korean war, F-86 pilots could reliably get away from MiG-15s by going into a high-speed dive, because their stabilator remained effective at high airspeeds where the MiG-15's traditional elevator would lock up, so the F-86 pilot could pull out while the MiG had to choose between hitting the airbrakes to regain control or lawn-darting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

HookedOnChthonics posted:

A 20-hour flight would be no problem at all in Brabazon or B314 level accommodations—I mean zeppelin service was multiday and nonstop. It’s the cattle-car aspect that makes it an endurance feat, not the flying part.

Yay capitalism!

Yeah, like, aside from the dry air and low pressure, there's nothing that's all that inherently challenging about spending 20 hours or even much longer in some kind of enclosed. Passenger railways still offer multi-day journeys that are quite relaxing, and if you're a real masochist you can take a Greyhound from Miami to Seattle. In a first-class lie-flat seat 20 hours is nothing.

20 hours in something like United economy, though -- well we'll never actually know because that sort of thing is banned by the Geneva conventions.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah, to add to hobbesmaster's post, the all-flying stabilator tailplane (where the whole stabilizer rotates to serve as an elevator) was one of the key inventions that made controlled supersonic flight possible because it's much less susceptible to those problems. No (or hardly any) aircraft prior to the X-1 had stabilators.

In the Korean war, F-86 pilots could reliably get away from MiG-15s by going into a high-speed dive, because their stabilator remained effective at high airspeeds where the MiG-15's traditional elevator would lock up, so the F-86 pilot could pull out while the MiG had to choose between hitting the airbrakes to regain control or lawn-darting.

To be briefly pedantic, the stabilator tail was only introduced on the F-86E; the earlier A models that had first been deployed to Korea had conventional tails.

Note also that the F-86A initially had little tiny doors on the gunports, designed to snap open when the guns were fired. You can imagine how well this probably worked in practice-they were either fixed open or replaced on later As, I forget which.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

madeintaipei posted:

The P-38 was infamous for "compressibility" problems in a dive, leading (unwittingly) to early reasearch into the sound barrier. Here is more, if you are interested.

That was a good read.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

hobbesmaster posted:

Some of them have showers if you're rich. But there is not a separate lounge area or anything. Well, excepting eithad's apartment like thing and suites class.

Is the bar not a separate area?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

madeintaipei posted:

The P-38 was infamous for "compressibility" problems in a dive, leading (unwittingly) to early reasearch into the sound barrier. Here is more, if you are interested.

What a great read.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Minto Took posted:

One of the big benefits I've heard of British Airways Flight 2 is customs gets taken care of during a part-way fuel stop...or there was a fuel stop since apparently a seven hour block time is possible on a loaded A318 now?

Fuel stop only happens westbound, eastbound they ride the jet stream as much as possible.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I like Southwest's new interior. I rarely fly commercial, but I managed to get the new interior on the way out and the older interior on the way home. Probably an extra 2" of knee space, which was glorious for my 6'1" frame. Nicer seats, too.

I have no idea how new it is, but everything was loving clean.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

simplefish posted:

Is the bar not a separate area?

The economy 'bar' is usually a shelf on the aisle side of the galley with a few bottles of non-alcoholic drink.

Which is still far better than waiting 4 hours for the cabin crew to get off their arse and bring some water around

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I was on a Lufthansa A350 in business class last year (YVR-MUN) and they had a small "bar" set up at the front with snacks and a small selection of wine and beer. Basically just a shelf or two about 10' from the head. I don't recall if spirits were accessible.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
The Qantas London - Perth flight is also a multi-leg flight, it originates in Melbourne with a stopover at Perth, so it is a bit longer for most passengers from the east coast.

Real close formation flying:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Not as close as this tennismen choreography

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

drunkill posted:

Real close formation flying:

Isn't this more pictures of a single F-22 than there are F-22s?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Cocoa Crispies posted:

In one elegant picture, all the money in the world.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Off by a factor of 10

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Per Wikipedia, there were 187 production F-22s built. I'm guessing that even after allowing for the various crashes and hurricanes, there still ought to be upwards of 100 flying, at least when they're not down for polishing the stealth or however the maintenance procedures work.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Timmy Age 6 posted:

Per Wikipedia, there were 187 production F-22s built. I'm guessing that even after allowing for the various crashes and hurricanes, there still ought to be upwards of 100 flying, at least when they're not down for polishing the stealth or however the maintenance procedures work.

Stealth Immersion bath

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Timmy Age 6 posted:

None of them were lost to that hurricane.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Timmy Age 6 posted:

It's actually human sacrifice. A thin coating of warm blood from a taxpayer's still beating heart makes it impervious to the enemy gaze.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Ola posted:

It's actually human sacrifice. A thin coating of warm blood from a taxpayer's still beating heart makes it impervious to the enemy gaze.

peter thiel shudders involuntarily with envy

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007
auto-gyro 3 wheeled car, must i say more ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4ZU7yUJx2c

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Captain Postal posted:

The economy 'bar' is usually a shelf on the aisle side of the galley with a few bottles of non-alcoholic drink.

Which is still far better than waiting 4 hours for the cabin crew to get off their arse and bring some water around

Yeah, I wasn't thinking of economy

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Micr0chiP posted:

auto-gyro 3 wheeled car, must i say more ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4ZU7yUJx2c

Oh cool they made a safer reliant robin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQh56geU0X8

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Godholio posted:

None of them were lost to that hurricane.

Technically, yeah, but it damaged irreplaceable parts and that will hasten the retirement of a few airframes sooner or later.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Bob A Feet posted:

What a great read.

As an offshoot of that article, the English Electric Lightning could intercept U2's at FL65. And climb FL36 in under 3 minutes. :neckbeard:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Electric_Lightning posted:

The Lightning possessed a remarkable climb rate. It was famous for its ability to rapidly rotate from takeoff to climb almost vertically from the runway, though this did not yield the best time-to-altitude. The Lightning's trademark tail-stand manoeuvre exchanged airspeed for altitude; it could slow to near-stall speeds before commencing level flight. The Lightning's optimum climb profile required the use of afterburners during takeoff. Immediately after takeoff, the nose would be lowered for rapid acceleration to 430 knots (800 km/h) IAS before initiating a climb, stabilising at 450 knots (830 km/h). This would yield a constant climb rate of approximately 20,000 ft/min (100 m/s).[54][nb 4] Around 13,000 ft (4,000 m) the Lightning would reach Mach 0.87 (1,009 km/h) and maintain this speed until reaching the tropopause, 36,000 ft (11,000 m) on a standard day.[nb 5] If climbing further, pilots would accelerate to supersonic speed at the tropopause before resuming the climb.[33][54] A Lightning flying at optimum climb profile would reach 36,000 ft (11,000 m) in under three minutes.[54]

The official ceiling of the Lightning was kept secret. Low security RAF documents often stated in excess of 60,000 ft (18,000 m). In September 1962, Fighter Command organised interception trials on Lockheed U-2As at heights of around 60,000–65,000 ft (18,000–20,000 m), which were temporarily based at RAF Upper Heyford to monitor Soviet nuclear tests.[73][74][75] Climb techniques and flight profiles were developed to put the Lightning into a suitable attack position. To avoid risking the U-2, the Lightning was not permitted any closer than 5,000 ft (1,500 m) and could not fly in front of the U-2. For the intercepts, four Lightning F1As conducted 18 solo sorties. The sorties proved that, under GCI, successful intercepts could be made at up to 65,000 ft (20,000 m). Due to sensitivity, details of these flights were deliberately avoided in the pilot log books.[76]

Carroll compared the Lightning and the F-15C Eagle, having flown both aircraft, stating that: "Acceleration in both was impressive, you have all seen the Lightning leap away once brakes are released, the Eagle was almost as good, and climb speed was rapidly achieved. Takeoff roll is between 2,000 and 3,000 ft [610 and 910 m], depending upon military or maximum afterburner-powered takeoff. The Lightning was quicker off the ground, reaching 50 ft [15 m] height in a horizontal distance of 1,630 ft [500 m]".

Not bad for a 1950's jet!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ewe2 posted:

Not bad for a 1950's jet!

And to think how quickly they got there. 20 years before, a fast fighter would perhaps do 20 000 ft/min horizontally and 60 000 ft was a place only considered by astronomers.

Speaking of jets, why is non-afterburning thrust called "military power" anyway?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

dry thrust

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Ola posted:

And to think how quickly they got there. 20 years before, a fast fighter would perhaps do 20 000 ft/min horizontally and 60 000 ft was a place only considered by astronomers.

Speaking of jets, why is non-afterburning thrust called "military power" anyway?

On piston warplanes, “military power” stood in contrast to “war emergency power”, which was an extraordinary throttle setting to be used for minutes at a time.

Jet aircraft didn’t have “war emergency power”, but they soon had their own extra‐thrust option in the form of reheat. The term “military power” therefore remained useful, though the state it was in opposition to had changed.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Oh this is great. Good quality Hawker Sea Fury footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPsujZ6994g

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Ola posted:

"Military Power" on any engine - piston or jet - was the setting at which the engine was at the edge of its envelope and running it balls-out like that would beat the poo poo out of it in short order. Sort of like an "11" setting.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Platystemon posted:

On piston warplanes, “military power” stood in contrast to “war emergency power”, which was an extraordinary throttle setting to be used for minutes at a time.

Jet aircraft didn’t have “war emergency power”, but they soon had their own extra‐thrust option in the form of reheat. The term “military power” therefore remained useful, though the state it was in opposition to had changed.

In civil aviation it’s “max continuous power” instead of military power. There’s usually a relatively short time limit on TO/GA power on larger aircraft.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Platystemon posted:

But why "military"? The whole plane is military and continues to be so even in war emergencies.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
"Why not just make 'military' be the top settling, and make that be a little more powerful?"

".... These go to WEP"

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/cb9QdUH

I guess imgur doesn't give direct image url's anymore...what's the go-to quick and easy hosting site these days?

E2:

vessbot fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 18, 2019

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
The engines used at the time the nomenclature was developed weren't turbine engines designed for exclusively military applications. I think the idea was that military power was a power setting beyond the engine's civilian rated power output

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

The engines used at the time the nomenclature was developed weren't turbine engines designed for exclusively military applications. I think the idea was that military power was a power setting beyond the engine's civilian rated power output

I can’t find a reference online, but this is basically it. Most larger radials are supercharged, and power is set by manifold pressure, and not just by shoving the throttle forward to the stops. Maximum rated power was not always the same as maximum rated military power. It became even more relevant with post-war turbocharged radials.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

Yeah that makes sense. It may even have been printed on a plate on the engine. It doesn't make that much sense for the military to appropriate the word though, but they are pretty weird about words. Now you might find it abbreviated and capitalized to MIL in writing for no other obvious reason than that's probably what it says on the throttle quadrant. And wanting to sound cool by using the pro lingo.

Pax. Acft. MIL. I am cool. :c00l:

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Sometimes you have to emotionally let go of words/phrases having a real meaning behind what they describe, and accept that is just a marker. In our deicing program we have a "pre-takeoff check" vs. a "pre-takeoff contamination check." Sounds like essentially the same thing, no? No. Totally different, and importantly so.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

vessbot posted:

Sometimes you have to emotionally let go of words/phrases having a real meaning behind what they describe, and accept that is just a marker. In our deicing program we have a "pre-takeoff check" vs. a "pre-takeoff contamination check." Sounds like essentially the same thing, no? No. Totally different, and importantly so.

I like language and acfts. :shrug: Also no, that doesn't sound like the same thing.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Ola posted:

I like language and acfts. :shrug: Also no, that doesn't sound like the same thing.

Well it's different if you already know what it means because you've been trained in that program. But they're both pre-takeoff, and both for contamination. So WTF! I maintain that whoever come up with these names is bad at language. Put yourself in the shoes of someone encountering these for the first time and deciphering the meaning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

It wasn't an ultra-long haul flight, but coming back from Hanoi to DFW I went all the way in JAL Premium Economy, and goddamn was it a nice upgrade over standard Economy. And half the cabins on those 787-8s were Business Class.

SeaborneClink posted:

peter thiel shudders involuntarily with envy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBA0AH-LSbo