Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

cryptoclastic posted:

My mental image of Thom was always Sam Elliott even though I didn't know his name. I think I had seen him in one movie or something, and when I read the books he just fit perfectly. It was definitely the mustache.

His role as Virgil in Tombstone is my mental image of Thom.

I think he's a bit too old for it now, though. Dunno who I'd cast as him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Silly people. The ideal Thom is clearly Timothy Omundson. He’s even an excellent singer.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I have a feeling they'll make Thom younger than he is in the books. An elderly acrobat/pop star/assassin seems like it'd come across as silly on screen, and having him be the love interest of a much younger looking woman would be weird.

Make him middle aged instead of white-haired old and it'll play better.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

People can be white haired without being geriatric. Plenty of people go grey really young. Timothy Omundson with more white in his hair would look fine; or someone like Ted Danson.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Either way, he's like the anti- Little Finger and I hope he's in the show.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The Lord Bude posted:

Patrick Stewart’s gonna be busy for a while I think.

Why, what's he up to?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Data Graham posted:

Why, what's he up to?

He got his dog a part in some new show.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Why, what's he up to?

Have you been living under a rock? Ol' Picard is coming out of retirement. With 100% more dog; as has been mentioned. 1st episode of Star Trek: Picard is on January 23.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Warrior of the Altaii:

Bondage: :yikes:
Paddling: :yikes:
Man Rape: :yikes:
Magic Rape: :yikes:

I, uh, think Robert Jordan was into some stuff.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The Lord Bude posted:

Have you been living under a rock? Ol' Picard is coming out of retirement. With 100% more dog; as has been mentioned. 1st episode of Star Trek: Picard is on January 23.

I apparently have been. That's what I get for not having paid attention to Star Trek in like half a decade I guess.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So I have had Eye of the World sitting on my book shelf for the better part of a decade. I think maybe my mom bought it for me for Christmas one year because she knew how much I loved Lord of the Rings. I tried reading it once and couldn't even get through the first chapter for whatever reason. But the prologue always kinda stayed with me and I always wanted to pick it up and try reading it again. So I finally did the other night and I'm about 100+ pages in and definitely enjoying it so far.

The only thing that's driving me nuts so far is the names. Nynaeve, Egwene, Aes Sedai....not sure why but they're all really frustrating me.

Anyways, I've tried not to read too much of the thread for fear of spoilers but any tips or advice you have for me would be nice.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mahoning posted:

So I have had Eye of the World sitting on my book shelf for the better part of a decade. I think maybe my mom bought it for me for Christmas one year because she knew how much I loved Lord of the Rings. I tried reading it once and couldn't even get through the first chapter for whatever reason. But the prologue always kinda stayed with me and I always wanted to pick it up and try reading it again. So I finally did the other night and I'm about 100+ pages in and definitely enjoying it so far.

The only thing that's driving me nuts so far is the names. Nynaeve, Egwene, Aes Sedai....not sure why but they're all really frustrating me.

Anyways, I've tried not to read too much of the thread for fear of spoilers but any tips or advice you have for me would be nice.

Roughly similar story here, and I'm here to tell you the names don't really get better. My advice is to make a game out of it: count how many "M-R-N" names you run into over the course of the series. Write them down because you WILL lose count.

But the names (the important ones anyway) do usually have an antecedent in some mythos or other, like the Arthurian ones in Caemlyn, and of the main party/secondaries. They can be fun to try to tease out the origins of.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
There's a pronunciation guide in the back of the books if you're not sure how these things are supposed to be said. Aside from that, have fun!

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
edit: Woah sorry, internet timed out and I double posted.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Mahoning posted:

There is a glossary in each book, although it can be kinda spoilery, in the sense that it can give away backstory and worldbuilding details that haven't been revealed in the text yet. The series is incredible and really benefits from not having to wait between books.

On Thom casting: Given that they are already filming, Thom must have been cast already. Hopefully we'll learn who it is soon.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I think the first book takes a while to get going but it’s fun when it does. I have a feeling the books have too much magic to be a good real life tv show.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

They should've made it an anime instead.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

EvilTaytoMan posted:

I was really surprised this ended up as an Amazon series rather than a Netfilx anime.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Most things would work better as a cartoon or cgi thing but I guess the margins are better on live action productions? Honestly I would love to learn more about the determinations that go into making these sort of decisions, seems to me like it would be much cheaper to adapt via animation but I suppose there's still a stigma about that (in the West at least) and fewer opportunities for crosspromotion/branding/spinoffs/etc.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Animation is really expensive and also takes a long time to do. From storyboard to finished product we're talking 9 months lag time.

Basileus777
Jun 13, 2013

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Animation is really expensive and also takes a long time to do. From storyboard to finished product we're talking 9 months lag time.

Uh, most television animation is done cheaply with a really quick turnaround time. Production schedules are so messed up that episodes are often finished just before they air. A live action adaptation filmed in Prague in addition to all the special effects work it requires is exponentially more expensive than an anime.

The market for this sort of animation is just much smaller.

Basileus777 fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 16, 2019

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I am by no means an expert and I'm sure things have changed in a decade but they mention many times on commentaries on The Simpsons and Futurama that it takes between 6 to 8 months to get an episode produced, from script to recording to storyboarding and to get final animation back from Korea. Apologies if I was incorrect.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I am by no means an expert and I'm sure things have changed in a decade but they mention many times on commentaries on The Simpsons and Futurama that it takes between 6 to 8 months to get an episode produced, from script to recording to storyboarding and to get final animation back from Korea. Apologies if I was incorrect.

The Simpsons takes 6-8 months. South Park takes 1 week.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
It's not an anime because Amazon is trying for a massive decade long prestige fantasy series and Game of Thrones was not an anime.

mewse
May 2, 2006

How are u posted:

It's not an anime because Amazon is trying for a massive decade long prestige fantasy series and Game of Thrones was not an anime.

Yep everyone wants the next GoT

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

More precisely, Amazon is counting on the many, many Game Of Thrones fans who no longer have a show to be a ready market for something similar.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

They're also making that LotR series set in the Second Age, assuming it hasn't been cancelled, so yeah they're definitely going after GoT fans.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Makes sense to me.

And I'm OK with this entirely :colbert:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Wait till they start releasing them before you say that. At least Wheel of Time is finished.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
And, regarding Game of Thrones, the special effects were really quite something amazing. I am confident they can pull off all the kickass weaving and spell slinging in a visually satisfying way.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

It's actually pretty loving funny that RJ managed to plot these things all together for Perrin to take care of at once:

Shaido
Masema
"Maighdin"
Working with the Corenne as a partner/ally instead of as a subject nation

DIRECTLY following which he:

Resolves his wolfbrother issues
Forges his hammer
Takes over the Children of the Light

Now that you put it like that, it makes me think it was all deliberate and it just never came across like RJ intended. Perrin was always the slow, methodical one, that people mistook as stupid, And if I remember right his internal monologue was that he compared his problems to a blacksmith's puzzle: lots of moving parts that seemed impossible, and then you find the trick that solves everything simultaneously.

Like, it's agonizingly slow and tedious reading through it, but i can see how from the outside people underestimate him and think he's stumbling but then solves five or more problems with a single blow, so then they think he's a genius at Daes Dae Mar

With a bit more editing that could come through more obviously, and been brilliant writing. It also mirrors how Mat just kind of chaos-dunks his way through life, putting no planning into things but still doing the right (and moral) thing anyway

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I would not even have 5% of the excitement over the WoT show as I do now if it was a cartoon.

bone napoleon
May 9, 2012

there is nothing
Please don't screw this up Amazon.

What do we know about the film crew? I hope they bring some talent to adapting this monster of a series. Done right they can milk this for a decade.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I thought I read somewhere that the plan was to do 2 books per season, but I guess if it becomes a huge hit they might adjust that to make it last a little longer.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Has any Amazon show become a huge hit?

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

ulmont posted:

The Simpsons takes 6-8 months. South Park takes 1 week.

Laughing imagining an enormously long animated Wheel of Time series in lovely south park style

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Invalid Validation posted:

Has any Amazon show become a huge hit?

The Boys, Marvelous Ms Maisel, a couple of others. Isn't the Expanse an Amazon show now too?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Brolander posted:

Laughing imagining an enormously long animated Wheel of Time series in lovely south park style

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mat Cauthon posted:

The Boys, Marvelous Ms Maisel, a couple of others. Isn't the Expanse an Amazon show now too?

I’ve never heard of The Boys, I’m not sure Maisel’s quality and Emmy buzz translates to viewers, and the Expanse is such a big hit that it was cancelled and picked up as Bezos’ vanity project. None are big hits in a GoT sense, certainly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Also two books per season seems totally absurd.