Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

bitprophet posted:

LL/JK is where it's at :c00lbert:

Realtalk: I had a pour of Springbank 21-year the other day at a whiskey bar and it was delicious. Made me and my companion wonder: are there any 18+ year old whiskeys/whiskys that aren't delicious? Kinda seems like anything aged that long is going to be pretty great. (I'm sure some stuff is not worth its average price, but I wonder if anything is roundly considered to be actually bad or even just not worth getting over the, say, 10/12/15 year expression.)

The nature of single malts is that bottles from the same distillery and of the same age statement can be pretty different from year to year, but I find Macallan 18 OB too chewy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

bitprophet posted:

LL/JK is where it's at :c00lbert:

Realtalk: I had a pour of Springbank 21-year the other day at a whiskey bar and it was delicious. Made me and my companion wonder: are there any 18+ year old whiskeys/whiskys that aren't delicious? Kinda seems like anything aged that long is going to be pretty great. (I'm sure some stuff is not worth its average price, but I wonder if anything is roundly considered to be actually bad or even just not worth getting over the, say, 10/12/15 year expression.)

Yeah I thought Ardbeg 22 was pretty meh, and 23 was the best whisky I've ever had. I mean, the 22 wasn't BAD, but I suspect I'd pick Ardbeg 10 over it blind. Which isn't fair because Ardbeg 10 is loving off the chain.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Kalsco posted:

I know LL/GK is what you guys are raving about but I've found a couple LL/GH. Same ballpark or nah?

All of the LL/G are supposed to be the same blend, I believe. GK and GH should be either same or very, very similar.

LL/H is very different.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
My experiences with (cheap) scotch back in college didn't leave a great first impression, so I've avoided it for the most part, instead preferring bourbon and rye. I just picked up a bottle of Glenmorangie 10 on a whim and this is some really tasty stuff - what are some others a neophyte like myself should look out for at the liquor shop?

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

Toebone posted:

My experiences with (cheap) scotch back in college didn't leave a great first impression, so I've avoided it for the most part, instead preferring bourbon and rye. I just picked up a bottle of Glenmorangie 10 on a whim and this is some really tasty stuff - what are some others a neophyte like myself should look out for at the liquor shop?

Glenlivet 12 was the first Scotch I enjoyed neat, and I've gotten a few people hooked with Haig Dimple Pinch. Oban 14 is a bit pricier but makes for a good bridge from easier drinkers to more smokey/peaty Scotches without being overwhelming to a beginner.

asciidic fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 15, 2019

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!

Toebone posted:

If you want to stay with Glenmorangie you can go down their line of 12 year olds with different wood finishing and gives you some good experience with what the type of cask adds to the juice. They make a gift set of 100ml bottles with the 10/12 lasanta/12 quinta/nectar dor. It goes for about 35-40 in CA your mileage may vary.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Toebone posted:

Talisker 16 is what I tend to use to get people onboard.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I went straight for Ardbeg 10 as a noob and no regrets. Not sure I'd recommend that for everyone though.

Highland Park 12 is pretty good.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I didn't get into Scotch until having Lagavulin 16, love that stuff. Before that I mostly drank Johnnie Walker.

GeneticWeapon
May 13, 2007

wormil posted:

I didn't get into Scotch until having Lagavulin 16, love that stuff. Before that I mostly drank Johnnie Walker.

I still buy Johnnie Walker at times, it has a flavor that I like.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Whenever a friend of mine comes into town we'll have some green label, I've always enjoyed it.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Green Label is the best JW imo

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Is it me or is Green Label an example of a whisky with a flavor profile that has changed significantly in the last decade? The first bottles I owned seemed to to have more Talisker notes. I once heard it described as the whisky embodiment of a hike through damp wilderness. Now it tastes a lot more like Black Label.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Pretty much all whisky changes flavor over the years

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

spankmeister posted:

Green Label is the best JW imo

Agreed. I haven't had it in a long time but I remember enjoying it.

The last JW I bought was White Walker which tastes like whisky from a butt.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

spankmeister posted:

Pretty much all whisky changes flavor over the years

Keyword: significantly.

I get that blended malts can change slightly over time if stocks of rarer malts from shuttered/mothballed distilleries run out. This is more akin to, say, Pappy no longer containing any Stitzel-Weller juice and being all BT distillate.

It’s like they slapped the Green Label sticker on a completely different recipe.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Speaking of Johnnie Walker, a friend was just talking up the Explorers' Club varieties, which are apparently sold mostly in duty-free shops. Has anyone here tried 'em?

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Toebone posted:

Bunnahabhain 12, AnCnoc 12

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Both of the Ghost and Rare JW Blues I've tried are solid but they also cost a significant premium and I probably wouldn't spend the money on a bottle when I can just get a independent bottled Brora or Port Ellen for less

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

I like Rare Breed LL/G even more after having it a few times. But I think Maker's 46 might be my new best bourbon friend.

GeneticWeapon
May 13, 2007

asciidic posted:

I like Rare Breed LL/G even more after having it a few times. But I think Maker's 46 might be my new best bourbon friend.

I thought about picking that up, this was probably the nudge that I needed.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

asciidic posted:

That’s funny I switched from Weller OWA to Rare Breed because I was tired of driving 12 miles on Wednesdays to get my Weller and Rare Breed is awesome and easy to get.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Costco by me has the johnnie walker sampler packs for $63 I think. 200ml each of:

Black
Gold reserve
18 (platinum I think)
Blue

Decent deal if you want to sample a few of those.

I picked up a 1792 sweet wheat yesterday as my local shop randomly got it in, it’s the first time I’ve ever seen it. Seemed like worth taking a shot for $34!

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Jim Murray just gave 1792 Full Proof his world whiskey of the year award, which makes me question his taste, but anyway be prepared for 1792 Full Proof to disappear from shelves and get marked up at retail now. Thank god my favorite regular bourbons OF 1920 and Rare Breed are readily available and no one is chasing them despite Minnick's best efforts on RB.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Just bought a Kaiyo Mizunara Oak whisky at Costco, haven't had it yet but looks interesting. Seem some mixed reviews, anyone had it before?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
I have an unopened bottle of 1792 Full Proof and the 1792 single barrel bottle that I did open was awful. Maybe I should just flip the stupid thing.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Enigma posted:

I went straight for Ardbeg 10 as a noob and no regrets. Not sure I'd recommend that for everyone though.

I did the same thing and I still loathe the stuff. I never finished that first bottle and much prefer other peated Scotch. I keep trying to get friends to drink it so I can get rid of that drat bottle, but most of them have wised up.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Single-malt beginner question: if I enjoy Laphroaig 10, what's a good next step at a similar price point?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Toast Museum posted:

Single-malt beginner question: if I enjoy Laphroaig 10, what's a good next step at a similar price point?

Ardbeg anything, other Laphroaigs, lagavulin, some of bruichladdich's peated stuff.

Kind of a wide recommendation, but IMO those 4 have a pretty solid lock on heavily peated, and they make enough to explore for a long time.

Edit: also smokehead, it's a not specified islay single malt. Very cheesy label, very good but straightforward dram for cheap.

Mao Zedong Thot fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 18, 2019

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Yuns posted:

Jim Murray just gave 1792 Full Proof his world whiskey of the year award, which makes me question his taste, but anyway be prepared for 1792 Full Proof to disappear from shelves and get marked up at retail now. Thank god my favorite regular bourbons OF 1920 and Rare Breed are readily available and no one is chasing them despite Minnick's best efforts on RB.

He also called The Matsui Mizunara the best Japanese single malt of the year. He's getting torn a new one by basically anyone who drank Japanese whisky in 2019 about that choice. I've had the Sakura cask in the same series and it's meh at best. Not to mention that a lot of people are still quite suspicious it's even Japanese distillate, given Matsui's past.

Carillon posted:

Just bought a Kaiyo Mizunara Oak whisky at Costco, haven't had it yet but looks interesting. Seem some mixed reviews, anyone had it before?

If you googled "kaiyo whisky review," chances are you've already read my review. I gave it a B, the nose was a little boring but otherwise pretty solid with fruits and vanilla. The mizunara certainly works too. Very interesting series though, looking forward to seeing their distillery plans firm up.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Ardbeg anything, other Laphroaigs, lagavulin, some of bruichladdich's peated stuff.

Kind of a wide recommendation, but IMO those 4 have a pretty solid lock on heavily peated, and they make enough to explore for a long time.
I like Talisker, too, especially if you like Laphroaig (which isn't for everyone). Lagavulin 16 is one of the best whiskeys in the world, for my money.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

zmcnulty posted:

He also called The Matsui Mizunara the best Japanese single malt of the year. He's getting torn a new one by basically anyone who drank Japanese whisky in 2019 about that choice. I've had the Sakura cask in the same series and it's meh at best. Not to mention that a lot of people are still quite suspicious it's even Japanese distillate, given Matsui's past.
Yes, some weird stuff on his list and really odd he would name 1792 FP, WLW and Handy, 3 Sazerac products, as 1, 2, and 3 best whiskies in the world when I'm not even convinced that they are the 3 best Sazerac/BT products that year.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I used to drink 1792 until I tried other Bourbons.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Toast Museum posted:

I haven't had a peated whiskey I didn't like. Pricing will vary regionally, but I have tried all these and really enjoyed them (all are peated like Laphroaig 10):

Ardbeg 10 (my go-to), Uigeadail (current favorite), Corryvreckan
Laphroaig Quarter Cask (tastes like smoked bacon)
Lagavulin 16
Caol Ila 12
Port Charlotte 10

Less peated but still good is Highland Park 12.

Bunnahabhain 12 is also lightly peated and fine, but I didn't enjoy it near as much as any of the above.

I have also heard good things about Talisker 10 and it is next on my list to try.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Kilchoman Machir Bay
Ledaig
Longrow
Peaty Blends too like Douglas Laing Big Peat and Compass Box Peat Monster

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

The 1910 Old Forester is top tier, if you guys can find it. My local bourbon club did an Old Forrester night, and it was the clear winner.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Edit wrong thread

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Dr. Lunchables posted:

The 1910 Old Forester is top tier, if you guys can find it. My local bourbon club did an Old Forrester night, and it was the clear winner.

I haven’t had that one, but the 1920 is a dang good bourbon too!

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

TobinHatesYou posted:

Is it me or is Green Label an example of a whisky with a flavor profile that has changed significantly in the last decade?

TobinHatesYou posted:

It’s like they slapped the Green Label sticker on a completely different recipe.

I mean, this is literally what they did. They outright discontinued the Green Label for about 3-4 years for unspecified (??) reasons before rebooting it. I wouldn't be surprised if they had to change the recipe because one distiller in their blend got expensive or otherwise ornery about being used in such high proportion in a blend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Enigma posted:

I haven't had a peated whiskey I didn't like. Pricing will vary regionally, but I have tried all these and really enjoyed them (all are peated like Laphroaig 10):

Ardbeg 10 (my go-to), Uigeadail (current favorite), Corryvreckan
Laphroaig Quarter Cask (tastes like smoked bacon)
Lagavulin 16
Caol Ila 12
Port Charlotte 10

Less peated but still good is Highland Park 12.

Bunnahabhain 12 is also lightly peated and fine, but I didn't enjoy it near as much as any of the above.

I have also heard good things about Talisker 10 and it is next on my list to try.

Highland Park is also a completely different style of peat...less boggy, more “ashy.” Personally not a fan...

Bunnahabhain 12 is like like 2ppm or something. I hardly consider it “peated,” certainly not discernible from most Highland whiskies.

Like others have suggested, Lagavulin 16 is a logical next step. Its had several more years to chill out, it’s slightly more complex, richer/darker

Jan posted:

I mean, this is literally what they did. They outright discontinued the Green Label for about 3-4 years for unspecified (??) reasons before rebooting it. I wouldn't be surprised if they had to change the recipe because one distiller in their blend got expensive or otherwise ornery about being used in such high proportion in a blend.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re start using high proportions of Roseisle in Green Label in 6 years...

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Oct 19, 2019