Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Rugby is a seriously and manly sport

https://imgur.com/a/rxvyOQi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Best thing about the England - Australia game is that whichever head coach loses will most likely get fired by their union so we have the mother of all salty press conferences to look forward to from Cheika/Jones.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Also, after the SRU's boss threatened legal action against world rugby regarding the Scotland vs Japan match, and are now facing a disciplinary hearing over it, I don't think this clip has ever been more relevant for the SRU:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2q0T7QXETs

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
I missed this thread getting started, which is a shame because I used to post here all the time.

So glad I both a) got up to watch Japan-Scotland and b) did not bother getting up to watch USA-Tonga

How is our Sevens team apparently a now-perennial contender for best in the world while our Test team can go back-to-back winless at the RWC?

We keep saying we're a "sleeping giant" but I think it's actually a coma, JFC.

Anyway, go Japan I guess.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Apollodorus posted:

I missed this thread getting started, which is a shame because I used to post here all the time.

So glad I both a) got up to watch Japan-Scotland and b) did not bother getting up to watch USA-Tonga

How is our Sevens team apparently a now-perennial contender for best in the world while our Test team can go back-to-back winless at the RWC?

Only seven dudes in the US play rugby at all well

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Apollodorus posted:

Sevens and fifteens aren't really that similar and require quite different skillsets for the most part.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
In regards to disparity between sevens and test please also look at Fiji.

Jedimastafez
Jun 5, 2005

The Stanley Cup has been kidnapped by Gary Bettman! Are you a bad enough dude to rescue it?
Important information for All Blacks fans

Where is Richie McCaw and is he anywhere near Japan right now.

If he is not near he needs to stay far far away

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
I think he's in Australia at the moment

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Madkal posted:

In regards to disparity between sevens and test please also look at Fiji.

Yeah but really good Fijian players emigrate then qualify and play test matches for countries like France and Australia.

Really good American players -- actually, if there WERE any they might do the same but I can't say for sure.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Apollodorus posted:

Really good American players -- actually, if there WERE any they might do the same but I can't say for sure.

They’re plucked from high school into the college football industrial complex. Former Oregon/Baltimore Ravens defensive lineman Haloti Ngata was apparently a force of nature in XVs before committing to footbaw full time.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Jedimastafez posted:

Important information for All Blacks fans

Where is Richie McCaw and is he anywhere near Japan right now.

If he is not near he needs to stay far far away

....? Why?

I mean, I don’t care... but I am curious as to why.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Apollodorus posted:

Yeah but really good Fijian players emigrate then qualify and play test matches for countries like France and Australia.

Hanno Dirksen has said in interviews that he was contacted by coaches, and had to decline playing for USA in the previous 2 World Cups, because he was worried about his family's financial security.

After winning a European championship with a Welsh side, it was implied that after spending enough time employed by The Ospreys, he would eventually become qualified to play for Wales. Although Welsh selection was unlikely, he was afraid (under duress or not, we'll probably never know) that playing for USA, and thus making himself forever ineligible to play in a red shirt would drastically reduce his chances of getting a lengthier Ospreys contract.

The dude's super talented, but Rugby is ultimately his job, and he ultimately chose a boring (but financially comfortable) career of treading water in the Pro 14, instead of playing international rugby, and possibly having to find a 2nd job, just to pay the bills.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
Hmm yeah the boring career of playing international club rugby in Europe compared to the excitement of dropping out of the WC with 0 points as USA

Jedimastafez
Jun 5, 2005

The Stanley Cup has been kidnapped by Gary Bettman! Are you a bad enough dude to rescue it?

The Rabbi T. White posted:

....? Why?

I mean, I don’t care... but I am curious as to why.

*whispers* The Curse...

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11873973

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Lol the Herald

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Apollodorus posted:

Our 7's team is signed to USA Rugby with pro contracts, allowing them to train together all the time in Glendale. Our 15's team is composed of people who play pro around the world. I would imagine lack of continuity would be one aspect.

poly and open-minded fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 16, 2019

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

the hockey team are called the black sticks?!?

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Raffles posted:

the hockey team are called the black sticks?!?

Wait till you hear what the basketball teams called

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

el dingo posted:

Wait till you hear what the basketball teams called

The black bats ?

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
OK so

Rugby: all blacks
Hockey: black sticks
Cricket: black caps
Basketball: tall blacks
Football: all whites

Then netball: silver ferns

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
The badminton team's the best, they're called the Black Cocks.

Unfortunately they're not allowed to actually use that name.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

poly and open-minded posted:

Our 7's team is signed to USA Rugby with pro contracts, allowing them to train together all the time in Glendale. Our 15's team is composed of people who play pro around the world. I would imagine lack of continuity would be one aspect.

Oh I thought the training center was in Chula Vista. Did they move?

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

My wife posted an image on facebook that appears to be a crop of a tweet to the effect of:

"A Scotsman walks into a pub. The Englishman, Irishman, and Welshman would have been there too, but they were still in Japan."

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
I think the same joke was used when England was knocked out of the world cup.

If one of those teams is the last one left it will be used again as "a Scotsman, a X, and a Y walk into the pub, but Z isn't there because we are still in Japan".

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Eddie Jones has selected Farrell at 10 and dropped Ford to the bench. Which considering that's exactly what Lancaster did before the Wales game in 2015 has me spooked as hell.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Raffles posted:

Eddie Jones has selected Farrell at 10 and dropped Ford to the bench. Which considering that's exactly what Lancaster did before the Wales game in 2015 has me spooked as hell.

I think Jones was already planning to do this before the first match started so he's just continuing with that plan despite how anyone has played.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He needs Ford to bring on when Farrell gets his head injury.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Speaking of great adventures, a couple of the Uruguay players are about to start a game we like to call “Japanese Prison Simulator”

quote:

KUMAMOTO – Two players from the Uruguay team tackled a staff member and damaged property at a restaurant in the city of Kumamoto during a drinking session following their final game of the Rugby World Cup, police said Wednesday.

The police are investigating the alleged assault and questioned the players before they left Japan with the rest of the team. Meanwhile, the restaurant is considering filing a criminal complaint.

One player tackled a male staffer standing by the entrance, who was later diagnosed with a minor back injury. Security camera footage showed the man being shoved about 2 meters back, the sources said.

Several players engaged in unruly behavior, including spilling drinks on DJ equipment, punching walls and mirrors, and tearing apart a stuffed bear, said the sources.

Yikes.

This (plus some over-eager Irish celebrations) have been the only real problems I’ve seen crop up during the World Cup due to foreigners behaving badly.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

harperdc posted:

Speaking of great adventures, a couple of the Uruguay players are about to start a game we like to call “Japanese Prison Simulator”

Yikes.

This (plus some over-eager Irish celebrations) have been the only real problems I’ve seen crop up during the World Cup due to foreigners behaving badly.

Maybe it's because I live in the UK and "sports fans behaving badly" is basically a literal battle field of people being maimed and injured by racist football hooligans, but I don't think I've ever seen anything that if count as "bad behaviour" from rugby fans. Getting naughtily drunk yes, but nothing like when just the other day England lost a match 2-1 in Prague and it sparked wide spread fights from the fans and like 31 people were arrested.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Honestly surprised more hasn’t happened considering the wide availability of all-you-can-drink in Japan

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Having had a couple of close friends who were also both raging alcoholics (and terrible ones at that) who lived in Japan for a year, every time they got drunk and caused trouble, it was swept under the carpet. E.g. Once when all the front windows in their apartment were smashed, a “very localised tornado” was suggested as the cause by the police and everyone went happily along with their lives.

I’m guessing a lot of white people being drunken wankers are getting away with an awful lot of poo poo in the name of no bad international press and saving face.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
That’s just in general they’ll be pretty easy on drunks. If they actually enforced all the laws on the book with regards to a lot of things a whole lot more people would have criminal records.

One Fijian guy I play with lost his job because of a tussle at the Fiji game up in Hokkaido though. Never got charged with anything but it got reported on in the news and he worked at a school so that was that.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Tomorrow I get to be a kiwi watching the match in London with my Irish partner and her Irish sister alongside her Irish friends in an Irish pub

Pray for me goons

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You'll be fine, they'll probably buy you drinks as they rib you.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

el dingo posted:

Tomorrow I get to be a kiwi watching the match in London with my Irish partner and her Irish sister alongside her Irish friends in an Irish pub

Pray for me goons

Ahh you’ll be grand mo chara

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I think I'm going to pick England to win tomorrow, they didn't get to play France so no idea how they do against actually good opposition but Australia has been all over the shop shipping points left and right. If England get on top in the first half I don't see Australia making it back into the game.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Lol. This has been playing out all week.

https://twitter.com/aishiterutokyo/status/1185120838619561984

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
It looks like that women in the bottom right is featured on the banner and advertisements in the upper left.