Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Cameo posted:

“I could cultivate her into something I could want!” is the capstone to that promo, and it’s somehow the least creepiest thing in the entire promo. The most is him, heavily breathing, begging Macho to bring her with him the next time they cross paths. It just builds and builds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXuo6In8d_w

Yes! Thank you.

and it's just as creepy as I remember

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

He truly was

the Sanem

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Defiance Industries posted:

He truly was

the Sanem

:golfclap:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The guy who's booked to never, ever win a big match? That's who you think is more over because of WWE's booking and not in spite of it? Because I'm not seeing it.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

To be fair Braun is a big stiff who doesn’t really have much business being over at all, except for a while he was given all these crazy backstage stunts to do and it got him over huge

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
used to be if somebody got over unexpectedly huge, you'd go with it and see where it went, but i guess that's too pro wrasslin' nowadays

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

jesus WEP posted:

To be fair Braun is a big stiff who doesn’t really have much business being over at all, except for a while he was given all these crazy backstage stunts to do and it got him over huge

Doing something that accentuates strengths and hide weaknesses? There's no room for THAT in the Double Double E, I'll tell you that!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Defiance Industries posted:

Doing something that accentuates strengths and hide weaknesses? There's no room for THAT in the Double Double E, I'll tell you that!

"That's too pro wrasslin', god drat it!" - Vince, probably

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

LividLiquid posted:

The guy who's booked to never, ever win a big match? That's who you think is more over because of WWE's booking and not in spite of it? Because I'm not seeing it.

This is recentism, with a very liberal definition of recent, BRAUN was the worst Wyatt member easily (Rowan was a better member at the time) and put in the group because they Had Plans For Him like Toman in The Shield. Notoriously he was referred to as the worst ever applicant for the performance centre, including everyone who has been rejected, and his signing was just in line with Big Huge Stiff in a time where being both big and talented is needed. Then he went solo had atrocious matches and was dying a death... and then through sheer booking sudden Braun Strowman who the "fickle fans" had every reason to give up on turned a corner and he became BRAUN. And shockingly he got better as a character and even wrestler when this happened, its a true home grown successfully executed build and push that the fans got behind.

Then they just used him to try and elevate Roman instead because their plan was Roman the Ordained, Lex Luger in a time when the fans believed in Daniel Bryan Hart.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I think you could easily rehab Braun at this point. They won't, obviously, but he hasn't quite hit Big Show or Kane levels of damaged yet.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

jesus WEP posted:

Historically, being a big stiff has never really been a detriment to being over. You just have to book them more like Andre than like The Yetay

Which isn't to say "have him win lots of Battle Royals" obviously, it's not 1979. But just protect him more than they have. Accentuate strengths, hide weaknesses, it's meant to be Booking 101 and nothing kills a big stiff like lovely 50/50 booking.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Braun is the exception that proves the rule in WWE Big Stiffs. Kozlov, Morgan, Jones, Khali, Corbin, hell the most successful non-Braun is The Ryback and thats The Ryback.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Lid posted:

This is recentism, with a very liberal definition of recent, BRAUN was the worst Wyatt member easily (Rowan was a better member at the time) and put in the group because they Had Plans For Him like Toman in The Shield. Notoriously he was referred to as the worst ever applicant for the performance centre, including everyone who has been rejected, and his signing was just in line with Big Huge Stiff in a time where being both big and talented is needed. Then he went solo had atrocious matches and was dying a death... and then through sheer booking sudden Braun Strowman who the "fickle fans" had every reason to give up on turned a corner and he became BRAUN. And shockingly he got better as a character and even wrestler when this happened, its a true home grown successfully executed build and push that the fans got behind.

Then they just used him to try and elevate Roman instead because their plan was Roman the Ordained, Lex Luger in a time when the fans believed in Daniel Bryan Hart.
You're absolutely right.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Psycho Clown.

I get that he's psycho. I know that he's a clown. I understand that he's AAA's top babyface.

What I don't get is how. I don't know why, and I don't understand what his appeal is.

I've seen a few matches with him(all multimans), and he really hasn't impressed me or even stood out in any of them(other than his entrance).
I would like someone to explain why, and how, he's so popular and, if possible, point me to some of his stand-out matches.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

TriffTshngo posted:

I think you could easily rehab Braun at this point. They won't, obviously, but he hasn't quite hit Big Show or Kane levels of damaged yet.

They won't rehab Braun. They want him to be their new Big Show/Kane. As much as we grew to hate their niche they were both the booking equivalent of a USB cable. Plug em into anything and it worked, albeit not as well as we'd like. They miss that and they need that. Even booked well a monster can't be a monster forever.

My hot take is that Big Show was simply too versatile a character (if not a wrestler) to be pidgeonholed into the "monster" role.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Takuan posted:

Psycho Clown.

I get that he's psycho. I know that he's a clown. I understand that he's AAA's top babyface.

What I don't get is how. I don't know why, and I don't understand what his appeal is.

I've seen a few matches with him(all multimans), and he really hasn't impressed me or even stood out in any of them(other than his entrance).
I would like someone to explain why, and how, he's so popular and, if possible, point me to some of his stand-out matches.

He has a lot of charisma and has been booked to win a lot and be a top guy. He also has a mask that's cool for kids. He's really not a good wrestler though and doesn't even have the really cool spots like Murder Clown does.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
He doesn’t even have Murder Clown’s name, which is the coolest thing about Murder Clown

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

ChrisBTY posted:

My hot take is that Big Show was simply too versatile a character (if not a wrestler) to be pidgeonholed into the "monster" role.

I always liked face Show who's a nice and funny guy but don't piss him off because his hand is bigger than your thorax.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

ChrisBTY posted:

I don't disagree, but I think that just kinda happened as a result of his longevity.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I always liked face Show who's a nice and funny guy but don't piss him off because his hand is bigger than your thorax.

The best Big Show was ever booked was his feud with Brock in 2002 when he won the title.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
The best Big Show was when he was punching people in the face and teaming with Jericho.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

The best Big Show was when he was punching people in the face and teaming with Jericho.

The best Big Show was when he was doing monster truck sumo matches on the roof of Cobo Hall.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Big Show's WWECW run was also kind of fun. He seemed interested, at least. Also, Show Miz.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The best Big Show was a match where he dragged a guy into the corner, yelled "I'M GONNA DO MY MOVE!" and then did a banzai drop or something. Then he yelled "I DID MY MOVE!" at the crowd

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
He did a little front flip that looked like complete poo poo, it was incredible

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I am glad sentiment on Big Show has changed around here.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Big Show & Kane as a team were great.

When Kane got locked in a room and Big Show desperately is trying to open the door to save him, and Kane just appears from around the corner and say's I just used the other door. :xd:

Really it seems most teams with Big Show in them were great.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Didn't Show once get a "please retire!" chant, then smugly boasted to the crowd that he had an ironclad contract, and then the crowd chanted "ten more years!" or something? I might be conflating things.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Big Show was always usually good, it's just that being both as big and as good as he was meant WWE treated him as if his credibility was untouchable. It was not.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

TriffTshngo posted:

Big Show was always usually good, it's just that being both as big and as good as he was meant WWE treated him as if his credibility was untouchable. It was not.

I vaguely recall him lamenting that on Austin's podcast, that he was treated as a joke far too often, instead of like a, well, enormous loving man who should have been a huge threat at all times.

He also shared a story about the WCW main eventers ribbing him when he became champion, until Sting clued him in. Big Show owns.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

He got a "You can't wrestle" chant and singsonged back "I don't have to"

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

He got a "You can't wrestle" chant and singsonged back "I don't have to"

This, and that match he had with Kane where they both do mat wrestling and "classic" wrestling moves that I can never seem to find when I need it.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

This, and that match he had with Kane where they both do mat wrestling and "classic" wrestling moves that I can never seem to find when I need it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RYvXFiDGQ0

JR: "I don't expect this to be a catch-as-catch-can classic, quite frankly"

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Big Show's gimmick should've been 'yelling things at the crowd.' I also remember him yelling IM A GIANT at one point.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Custard Undies posted:

Big Show & Kane as a team were great.

When Kane got locked in a room and Big Show desperately is trying to open the door to save him, and Kane just appears from around the corner and say's I just used the other door. :xd:

Really it seems most teams with Big Show in them were great.

There was a story a ring announcer (or some crew member) told about being at an arena once, and going off to take a private call. He accidentally ended up locked in a room with no way out, and to make things worse, he couldn't break down the door because it was a steel fire door. He banged on the door, screaming for help, when he finally heard, on the other side, the Big Show say "Stand away from the door."

The guy said with one kick, the Big Show opened the door by shearing the bolt completely off the door.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

One of the top Big Show moments is when he was cutting a promo about how much he wanted to punch Triple H in the face and his eyes started bulging out of his skull in a completely inhuman way. After that I started fan-casting him as the Heavy for if they ever make a Team Fortress movie.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Gavok posted:

One of the top Big Show moments is when he was cutting a promo about how much he wanted to punch Triple H in the face and his eyes started bulging out of his skull in a completely inhuman way. After that I started fan-casting him as the Heavy for if they ever make a Team Fortress movie.

was it this

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Goddamnit, that gif just made me laugh so hard I can't breathe

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Big Show was cool and the only controversial thing on his Wikipedia page is that he once got charged with assault because he punched some belligerent rear end in a top hat so hard his jaw broke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

TriffTshngo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RYvXFiDGQ0

JR: "I don't expect this to be a catch-as-catch-can classic, quite frankly"

Big Show corpsing at 2:42 :allears: