Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

SlothfulCobra posted:

If Roy's grown to appreciate Belkar, I wonder if there's a chance for resurrection later down the line.

Or maybe Belkar's predicted death is just going to be him falling into a rift and beyond the bounds of all known existence and all bets will be off from there. There's gotta be some weird conclusion to all this.

Like a gate to a different world?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Maybe that, maybe a porthole in time, maybe getting trapped in some kind of mirror dimension.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

ultrafilter posted:

Like a gate to a different world?
Gate? What gate?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder if Roy is starting to feel guilty about Belkar's foretold death.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

If Roy's grown to appreciate Belkar, I wonder if there's a chance for resurrection later down the line.

Or maybe Belkar's predicted death is just going to be him falling into a rift and beyond the bounds of all known existence and all bets will be off from there. There's gotta be some weird conclusion to all this.

Maybe it's just the death of his old character. Meet Balker! The good guy who applies himself.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Darth TNT posted:

Maybe it's just the death of his old character. Meet Balker! The good chaotic neutral guy who applies himself.

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:
Belkar will draw his last breath and become Rakleb, the Good Ranger.

Telegnostic
Apr 24, 2008
When that happened, the evil man who was Belkar was destroyed. So what I told you was true, from a certain point of view.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Belkar the White?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

This kind of shows how the rest of the order really hasn't caught up on a conscious level to Belkar's character growth. Durkon has evidently noticed and Haley is smart and perceptive enough that I'd say she probably realizes it but is keeping it to herself. Roy almost got it, but the baggage of his time with Belkar's Kill-Maim-Burn phase is keeping him from seeing it.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

ZearothK posted:

This kind of shows how the rest of the order really hasn't caught up on a conscious level to Belkar's character growth. Durkon has evidently noticed and Haley is smart and perceptive enough that I'd say she probably realizes it but is keeping it to herself. Roy almost got it, but the baggage of his time with Belkar's Kill-Maim-Burn phase is keeping him from seeing it.

Even if he was faking it, having this long of a con would probably constitute growth from OG Belkar.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Maybe it's like how the Oracle told Neo he was not The One

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Maybe it's like how the Oracle told Neo he was not The One

Yeah, but the Oracle told Roy.

So what's the con? "If you didn't think he was about to die, you'd have killed him yourself?"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He wouldn't have tried to save his soul

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Belkar dies and becomes a good lich to help fight against the bad lich.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I feel like the Oracle was fairly straight up and non deceptive specifically by Rich to avoid this sort of endless speculation as to how Belkar won't die.

I feel like 90% Belkar redeems himself by dying. In such a way either he can't be revived, or refuses.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Raenir Salazar posted:

I feel like the Oracle was fairly straight up and non deceptive specifically by Rich to avoid this sort of endless speculation as to how Belkar won't die.

I feel like 90% Belkar redeems himself by dying. In such a way either he can't be revived, or refuses.

If he somehow ends up in the same afterlife as Shojo, I bet he stays.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

ConfusedUs posted:

If he somehow ends up in the same afterlife as Shojo, I bet he stays.

As the Sexy Shoeless God of War he can go where he wants! Who is going to stop him?

More seriously I could at some minimum level see the Gods collectively just keep his soul out of the lower planes as a reward for saving the cosmos and let him go where he wants. Maybe he can't visit the upper planes but he can hang out in the limbo area and be visited.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

I appreciate the fact that the barkeeper is noticeably drunk as well.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

goblin week posted:

So what is the interesting theme of being magically always evil?

One of the things I liked about 4th Ed. Was how every class could get a type of immortality as they leveled.
Either you became one with the Earth, or merged with a portion of your God or just became fantasy Winston Churchill, you could obtain a type of immortality. (Literal or figurative.

But one method for Arcane casters was becoming a Lich. Only the idea was you did it through hard work, magical knowledge and determination. That you didn’t take the shortcut of buying the knowledge how to become a Lich from a Devil (which works. But involves about 1000% more baby eating than is required or recommended. )

I just liked the idea that evil is big on taking short cuts, because it means instant glory.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

The Question IRL posted:

or just became fantasy Winston Churchill, you could obtain a type of immortality. (Literal or figurative.

What does this mean, becoming a racism elemental?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

mandatory lesbian posted:

Preserved in ethanol

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

mandatory lesbian posted:

You end up as a sub-par, if effective leader, who get’s lionised by idiots who were children when he was in power.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oobey posted:

I appreciate the fact that the barkeeper is noticeably drunk as well.

He's a dwarf, that's their perpetual state is it not?

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

fool_of_sound posted:

Necromancy is assumed to be evil in D&D settings because undead leak negative energy that slowly corrupt the nearby landscape. This does not have to be true in every setting, and in fact sacred necromancy is a cool cultural aspect in a lot of fantasy; the dunmer in the Elder Scrolls practice it, for instance. They imbue their dead with the ability to defend their own tombs and summon ancestor spirits to protect them. That's what the baelnorn are supposed to be.

theres a fantasy triliogy where i only read the first book where the main character is a necromancer whos job is to slay undead. the book is called sabrial or something like that. its kind of decent but like all ya poo poo gets weirdly sexual

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

snergle posted:

theres a fantasy triliogy where i only read the first book where the main character is a necromancer whos job is to slay undead. the book is called sabrial or something like that. its kind of decent but like all ya poo poo gets weirdly sexual

Sabriel by Garth Nix. I highly recommend the whole series. I think I know the "weirdly sexual" bit you're talking about, the part where they're at the inn, and Sabriel thinks she's hearing her male traveling companion loving a maid in the next room and has Feelings™ about it, but it's actually just some stranger, right? Well, I have good news: apart from one other (plot-relevant) scene, the rest of the series is blessedly free of that kind of sexual awkwardness.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
When I read it as a teen I found it sorta relatable.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1183.html

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
:ohdear:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

That's not ominous or anything.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Assuming the vessel is sacrificial/to be possessed, I guess we might be seeing Tarquin again?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Oh neat, I missed the IPRE.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I got to admit, I am really over the trope of villains talking about how their machinations are proceeding and dropping vague hints about how they'll be throwing spanners in various works. I'm sure the payoff will be worth it, and I guess it's hot new info that Hel's scheme would have been beneficial to their agenda, but I'm about ready for the IFCC to step out of the shadows.

I am not at all over Blackwing or Durkon's family being good and wholesome. They can keep going as they are for as long as they want. :3:

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

:stare:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I got to admit, I am really over the trope of villains talking about how their machinations are proceeding and dropping vague hints about how they'll be throwing spanners in various works. I'm sure the payoff will be worth it, and I guess it's hot new info that Hel's scheme would have been beneficial to their agenda, but I'm about ready for the IFCC to step out of the shadows.

Well, it's the denouement to the book. It's the right time to remind people of the existence of villains whose plans aren't in motion yet. And heroes for that matter; I assume we'll soon get a page about Xykon and co, and the paladins.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I liked the line "It's time to really roll our sleeves up and get our followers' hands dirty". Always nice to be reminded that the IFCC are, at heart, rear end in a top hat middle managers.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Tenebrais posted:

Well, it's the denouement to the book. It's the right time to remind people of the existence of villains whose plans aren't in motion yet. And heroes for that matter; I assume we'll soon get a page about Xykon and co, and the paladins.

Yes, that's fair, but the IFCC have been around for over 500 strips (or; ten years) and we still don't really know what they're up to.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Best guess: they help guide the Order towards the final battle with Xykon, do whatever they can to stack the deck in the Order’s favor... Then swoop in and finish off whoever survives the battle.

From there, they either hijack Redcloak’s “hold the world hostage” plan towards their own ends (like letting their fellows appear in the material plane en masse to rain death on the land), or they just immediately use (or break) the final Gate.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
the ifcc are ment to show that evil can always work together but good cant because it consistently splinters and in fights. get woke.

i forgot all about the ifcc to tell the truth so im glad rich reminded us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

snergle posted:

the ifcc are ment to show that evil can always work together but good cant because it consistently splinters and in fights. get woke.

i forgot all about the ifcc to tell the truth so im glad rich reminded us.

gently caress that and gently caress centrists