Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I think its the bad animation that makes it worse for me. Probably why I wasn't hype on claymation either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Leal posted:

I think its the bad animation that makes it worse for me. Probably why I wasn't hype on claymation either.

Visit floor 666 in riches plank :v:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Leal posted:

I could not confront my fears and ended up quitting out of Skyrim when the big spider showed up. I like to think I've gotten far better at handling my arachnophobia, but there is a large difference between not freaking the gently caress out when I see a spider on a wall the other side of the room and a spider bigger then a shack leaping at my face.

Here you go: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/1190?tab=posts

quote:

Mega Arachnophobia and Insect Phobia Mod. Renames and Replaces Spiders to "Invading Bears" and Chaurus to "Invading Skeevers". Removes Webs and Clutter Items. Renames and Replaces Chaurus/Spider items. Includes texture replacement for partial-compatibility with other mods.

stinky ox
Mar 29, 2007
I am a stinky ox.

Professor Latency posted:

Probably a long shot, but is there anything like Polybius? The sense of the speed mostly, but art style too. The closest thing I've seen is Thumper, which I love but doesn't scratch the same itch.

Polybius is currently available for PSVR and Oculus via Steam. Before long it should support the Vive/Index/WMR as well; we've an update in progress that we'll put on the Steam version's beta branch as soon as it's in a fit state to be tested.

Minotaur Arcade Vol. 1 is out on Steam, with the Vive/Index/WMR build already out on the beta branch and seemingly holding up pretty well. Once we're sure it's robust enough we'll put it on the main branch and update the store description to indicate that it supports more than just Oculus.

MAv1 also just came out on PSVR in non-USA parts; the US version is fully approved and should be out in a few days.

I just got a Quest and we've been enjoying playing around with that - with setup as simple as "pick it up and put it on your head" and no wires it really makes VR so much more accessible. I've been using VR a lot more since I got it. We'll be looking at getting our engine running on it and possibly getting MAv1 (and v2 by then) and Polybius running on it. Whether we get to sell it officially via Oculus or if we have to go in via SideQuest remains to be seen.

Moving forward I intend for everything we do to be playable in or out of VR as even the oldschool arcade-style stuff we do ends up looking way better in VR than in 2D.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm extremely excited for the SteamVR port, I picked Polybius up as soon as it hit Steam but I didn't want to play too much of it out of VR and its eating away at me. Heard people figured out how to get it running under Revive recently but I haven't followed up on that yet

stinky ox
Mar 29, 2007
I am a stinky ox.
Yeah Polybius is way better in VR. It was made for VR first and making it work outside of VR was a nice bonus, but to fully get the best out of it VR is absolutely the only way to play.

I've heard of people making it work on Vive and we're absolutely cool with people doing that but we want to support it directly so as to minimise faff :).

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

stinky ox posted:

Yeah Polybius is way better in VR. It was made for VR first and making it work outside of VR was a nice bonus, but to fully get the best out of it VR is absolutely the only way to play.

I've heard of people making it work on Vive and we're absolutely cool with people doing that but we want to support it directly so as to minimise faff :).

Because *of course* he's a goon, lol

Special request from a longtime fan: I know you've done some Robotron-style games before. If you ever have the time, I'd love to see your take on a VR twin-stick shooter from a "table-top view" like they do in games like Landfall:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37pU2vgvtMI&t=87s

That way you could have hordes numbering in the thousands and you could peer in for a closer view or sit back to see how you'd need to run and gun on a larger scale.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
gently caress yesssss I beat a song on expert+

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

eonwe posted:

gently caress yesssss I beat a song on expert+

which one? is there an "easy" e+ song? Every now and then I go back to give one a shot and I just get immediately destroyed. You're crossing a lot more frequently and I swear the block lanes are farther / more spaced out so I start missing a ton.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

which one? is there an "easy" e+ song? Every now and then I go back to give one a shot and I just get immediately destroyed. You're crossing a lot more frequently and I swear the block lanes are farther / more spaced out so I start missing a ton.

TBH I think the best way to do it is to find a song you like (because you'll be listening to it a lot) and try to do the practice mode for the hard sections, and mess around with using the slow and no fail modifiers. They all seem to have sort of a rhythm or pattern to the way the harder sections work, and once that clicks and you aren't just trying to react to every single block you see it gets a lot easier.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I did Senbonzakura Feat Hatsune Miku. No idea where that falls on 'easy' or 'hard' E+ though. I did get a lot better by eventually beating it.

And I just played it and failed until I kept getting further, but what Lemming says makes a lot more sense.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
And yeah, what I just tried to do is realize I was going to fail, but figure out the 'trick' behind the difficult parts. They all have some consistent gimmick that makes them pretty doable if you know the pattern.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I quickly found that slow mode just made me do the actually hard songs wrong because the spacing between notes was too slow :v:

No fail is great tho, just playing through the entire song several times trying to get as little misses as possible, and then you use practice mods to only practice a single part if it's needed.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Got my Quest DAS adapter kit (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VCF2214/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00) + Vive DAS and it installed pretty easily. The package came with a link/QR Code for the install video. Quality seems good as well. Probably just the exact same thing you can get if you 3D print them yourself or use a third party to do that but if you're lazy and would rather spend $26 to get the kit made and shipped to you then it's a good way to go.

Audio is better but taking the Quest off with the DAS is a bit more of a PITA than the original strap but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

RandomBlue posted:

Got my Quest DAS adapter kit (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VCF2214/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00) + Vive DAS and it installed pretty easily. The package came with a link/QR Code for the install video. Quality seems good as well. Probably just the exact same thing you can get if you 3D print them yourself or use a third party to do that but if you're lazy and would rather spend $26 to get the kit made and shipped to you then it's a good way to go.

Audio is better but taking the Quest off with the DAS is a bit more of a PITA than the original strap but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

I just finished my mod a few minutes ago too, I used the velcro method instead; pleased with the results:

It is a little cheaper at $18 Amazon Prime, and then you have tons of leftover velcro you can use for other stuff. I used some velcro to stick my powerbank to the back of the headset. The counterweight from the powerbank makes way more of a difference (whether it is on the rubber Quest strap like I used to have it, or on the DAS) than the DAS itself makes, honestly.

Here's the video guide for the Velcro method:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBJNk6EEyTw

Oculus should have made a rigid back like the DAS has, and molded some batteries into the back instead of having them in the front of the headset.

The Oculus Home Survey people called me back so I'm increasingly likely to get a chance to tell them in person, heh

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I loaded up Gun Club and just did a round of target shooting and then unlocked an AK-47. Decided to go into sandbox mode just to test out attachments and next thing you know an hour goes by just sucking around with stuff. I like how if you mount multiple lasers they angle towards the target. Who doesn’t need a pistol with a hunting scope and 50 round mag or a revolver with an acog and double lasers?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

JHVH-1 posted:

I loaded up Gun Club and just did a round of target shooting and then unlocked an AK-47. Decided to go into sandbox mode just to test out attachments and next thing you know an hour goes by just sucking around with stuff. I like how if you mount multiple lasers they angle towards the target. Who doesn’t need a pistol with a hunting scope and 50 round mag or a revolver with an acog and double lasers?

Give H3VR a try, you can slap a grenade launcher or single-shot shotgun on to a handgun :unsmigghh:.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Give H3VR a try, you can slap a grenade launcher or single-shot shotgun on to a handgun :unsmigghh:.

And then add half a dozen barrel extenders to make that handgun three metres long, followed by slapping on a million rail adapters so you can literally cover your gun with Christmas lights and Pride flags.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I’m using the Quest. Maybe some day.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Help, I can't stop playing Payday 2 in VR. Its so loving good. It makes all other videogames feel like absolute poo poo. This is the matrix that I've been waiting for all my life.

Its a million times better than pavlov or onward or honestly even super hot super hot because there's so much more poo poo to do, so many guns but also a ton of enemies to shoot them with, and a huge active online playerbase (because you can play with non-VR people) tons and tons and tons of levels and multiple ways to play them and just... a ton of poo poo to do. As soon as I start to get bored, I switch loadouts and everything feels super fresh again. Dual wielding pistols feels INCREDIBLE, but also just firing rifles feels good too, snipers with scopes make me think of Silent Scope in the arcade, machine guns, melee weapons, everything.

In other news, am I the only person who thinks of this when they hear "Oculus Quest" ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIuuPTM3nSc

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Oct 17, 2019

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Playing Payday 2's base defense mission with the "Deathwish" soundtrack and a minigun is the loving best. Click the police.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

JHVH-1 posted:

Holy poo poo that owns, :lol:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shine posted:

Playing Payday 2's base defense mission with the "Deathwish" soundtrack and a minigun is the loving best. Click the police.

It really is. And doing it in co-op with friends both in VR and out of VR is even better.

Also, stealth can be amazing. I got a couple stealth mods to tweak things to make solo stealth a little easier, and now I'm pulling some really great stealth heists in VR. Its basically Solid Snake Simulator.

Having to actually crouch to crouch and sneak around, actually peering around corners or leaning around boxes to spot guards is just so loving cool. And getting spotted in VR feels really intense, unlike in a normal videogame, you feel so vulnerable in VR. The tension is awesome.

Doing the Shadow Raid mission is basically just Shadow Moses. (look at the name lol)

JHVH-1 posted:

I like how if you mount multiple lasers they angle towards the target.

Makes me think of the Predator.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
What mods do you use? I've not really hosed with PD2 mods.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Shine posted:

What mods do you use? I've not really hosed with PD2 mods.

The big things that make solo stealth tricky are the number of guards you can kill (you can only answer 4 pagers and then they get wise to you and call the police) and the number of cable ties you can carry.

By default, some maps have 4 guards, these are "easier" to stealth since you can just pop them one by one carefully and then you can lock down the entire map. Jewelry store, the original PD2 "Bank" like the gold/deposit/money, night club, etc. are examples of these types.

Lots of other maps have 4+ guards, and these are much much harder because you simply can't shoot everybody. You have to basically go for pure silent stealth, and if you get caught and have to shoot somebody, that's a fuckup, and if you pop 4 then you just have to be perfect and if you ever get spotted, game over instantly.

That works well enough for how PD2 works and is kinda balanced, but... eh its frustrating. So there's a stealth mod called "Silent Assassin" that makes it so if you kill someone without them ever spotting you or being on alert, then there's no pager. Like, they have to see something suspicious to radio in "hey, checking something out" and then if you kill them, you have to answer the pager. This makes it much easier overall, since you can now simply kill everybody as long as you're super careful about it. To balance the fact that this can be potentially OP or super broken, the mod adds the ability to restrict pager answering further. You can set it to 3, 2, 1 or 0 pagers you're allowed to answer. (you still get a pager if someone spots you and then you shoot them) You can also set it to be per-player, like each player can answer 1 or 2 pagers but if the same person answers another, they recognize your voice.

Its a cheat technically but it makes it so much more pleasing to be able to Hitman your way through a level, simply sneaking around each guard, popping them, and then disposing the body. I'm basically playing Hitman VR now. If you're perfect you can just not shoot anybody and sneak around, but it can be real tricky and easy to gently caress up some things in VR especially if you're not SUPER familiar with the maps and game mechanics.

The other thing is the cable ties, which applies to maps with lots of civilians. Like the banks and the night club, but not so much the murkywater bases like shadow raid. Each player gets like 2 cable ties by default? (they patched it a lot I can't remember) and there's a very basic skill which gives you like 6.

The thing is, if you have a full party of 4 people, that's 6x4 = 24 cable ties. That's 24 civilians you can lock down entirely. If you're playing solo, you only get 6. That's a massive difference. The AI won't cable-tie for you (without some further AI mods, ymmv there) so I use a mod that increases the per-player cable tie amount to balance if I'm playing solo and don't have a party.

The thing is, its entirely possible to beat these levels without using cable ties. But it requires one of two things. The simple one is just: shoot all the civilians! This costs you some money, but otherwise isn't a big deal. But that feels wrong and broken. The other alternative is to have someone constantly shout at the civilians to tell them to stay down and stay off their cell phones. If you have a party of 4 people that isn't too hard, one person is on crowd management duty. (but again, if you have 4 people, you have way more ties anyways) But if you're doing solo, its hard to manage doing things while also making sure to always shout at all the civilians every 30-60 seconds or whatever (based on skills). Its much easier to simply cable tie them down.

There's some VR specific mods which add additional means of locomotion but I haven't messed with them yet. Teleporting works well for me and I think running all the time would make me feel uneasy faster.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Took the dive, ordered the Index + knuckles controllers. Guess this means that my old Vive wands can be used as trackers now, though I'm not familiar with what games can take advantage of that.

Does anyone know if the specialty lens inserts that you can buy using your eyeglass prescription can transfer from the Vive to the Index? I ordered a set for my Vive and I use them 100% of the time. If I have to order a new set for the Index so be it, would be neat though if they are transferable.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Owlbear Camus posted:

Uuuuugh.

I was indeed genuinely hoping that someone had put together a "if you have a beefy rig, just install this one mega-mod to make the game look nice" package after all these years.
It's just not elder scrolls if you do not spend at least a week fiddling with mods.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
After getting and using my VRCover for the Quest I figured out why the standard facial interface is so rough, it's so the the HMD stays in place doesn't move which causes you to lose focus. With the basic VRCover installed it moves a lot more vertically on my face, especially when I move up and down to dodge poo poo in Beat Saber, which has a very noticeable impact on how sharp the image is.

It's a big enough problem for me I'm going back to the standard facial interface.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

RandomBlue posted:

After getting and using my VRCover for the Quest I figured out why the standard facial interface is so rough, it's so the the HMD stays in place doesn't move which causes you to lose focus. With the basic VRCover installed it moves a lot more vertically on my face, especially when I move up and down to dodge poo poo in Beat Saber, which has a very noticeable impact on how sharp the image is.

It's a big enough problem for me I'm going back to the standard facial interface.

Can you not adjust the straps to make it tighter or something?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Zaphod42 posted:

Can you not adjust the straps to make it tighter or something?

Yes, but it's still a lower friction interface so either I can deal with more pressure on my face that will still slide around, especially if I sweat like I would playing Beat Saber, or I can use the high friction stock interface that doesn't slip with less pressure on my face.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Fair enough. That's a bummer.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

RandomBlue posted:

Yes, but it's still a lower friction interface so either I can deal with more pressure on my face that will still slide around, especially if I sweat like I would playing Beat Saber, or I can use the high friction stock interface that doesn't slip with less pressure on my face.

Strapping/taping a roll of coins to the back of the headstrap helps a lot with the face pressure, can recommend.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
I realized welding mask headgear would be way better than hard hat suspensions(the pivots could make great headphone mounts too). My widmovr lenses finally show up today, and I've got a set of cheap headgear and Velcro straps coming. This should be a fun weekend.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
I used the Software "4K Video Downloader" to download 360° videos from youtube. I couldn't find a player that can deal with the resulting mp4 for my Rift.
Do I have to download the videos another way?
I'm sure one of you already went through this, any help would be appreciated. Note: I don't want to stream because my internet is poo poo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RabbitWizard posted:

I used the Software "4K Video Downloader" to download 360° videos from youtube. I couldn't find a player that can deal with the resulting mp4 for my Rift.
Do I have to download the videos another way?
I'm sure one of you already went through this, any help would be appreciated. Note: I don't want to stream because my internet is poo poo.

I think the SteamVR media player can do 360-degree videos.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think the SteamVR media player can do 360-degree videos.

Sadly no :(

quote:

The Steam 360 Video Player allows SteamVR compatible VR headsets to playback Steam 360 Video content that can be found on the Steam Store. Once installed, you can find 360 videos on the Steam store.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

DMX's x gon give it to ya is pretty ok. First song I did on E+, you'll fail a few times but its good practice.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

I am super interested in this too, I have a Samsung 360 camera and it rocks, but I'd like an easy way for people to 'be inside' the vids in a Rift easily, I have some live music videos I'd love to share to pals
The only thing I have found so far is re uploading to Youtube direct from the editing software I have, but that kinda sucks

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Now I have to try payday VR. Thanks thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Has any company talked about two player VR stuff?

With the Quest could you have a buddy (also wearing a Quest) in the room with you also in the game?

I'm thinking of a shooting game like timecop or something might be good.