Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

dungeon cousin posted:

Ferocious Dragon Eevee vs Steel Knight Eevee.

This would be cool so obviously it's not happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

It's so weird how people complain about Gen 1 pandering but then want new Eeveelutions.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't necessarily see Eeveeloutions as Gen 1 pandering since it was more or less a thing they would do on every even numbered gen.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Zuzie posted:

It's so weird how people complain about Gen 1 pandering but then want new Eeveelutions.

New evos for old pokemon is the one piece of pandering I can go for.

Like eevee is almost a special exception since we've had 3 cases of them giving it new evo(s), it's almost a tradition.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don't necessarily see Eeveeloutions as Gen 1 pandering since it was more or less a thing they would do on every even numbered gen.

It’s charizard forms now

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I said it before, but it's all marketing at the end of the day. Charizard gets a big push because he's popular, but so is Lucario, from Gen 4 or now Mimikyu from Gen 7.

My guess is the designers create a bunch of monster designs, they're approved by Sugimori and Masuda, and then when it comes time to start marketing, they hold focus groups. They probably go in with some idea in mind of which monster they expect to be big, like with Zoroark in Gen 5, but sometimes are surprised and then really push those monsters that do well in the groups.

Hell, the original mascot was supposed to be Clefairy, but people liked Pikachu more, so it became the defacto face of the franchise.

So, yeah, Gen 1 gets the biggest push, just based on recognition, but they do still tend to have certain standouts each generation that continue to be popular and receive the shiny new toys too.

edit: Blaziken from Gen 3 and Braixen from Gen 6 come to mind too.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I always found Lucario overrated.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Mimukyu is such a good mon

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

The clefairy to pikachu thing was because “cute pink thing will only appeal to girls” thinking.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I ran a Lucario in my Black 2 run. Steel/Fighting is a cool combo.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pikachu fat so what?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Zoroark being sheepishly demoted to regular Pokemon after it failed to light the world on fire will always get a chuckle from me

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Focus blast lucario is cool as heck

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

lucario's hands are dumb

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Avalerion posted:

The clefairy to pikachu thing was because “cute pink thing will only appeal to girls” thinking.

Even if that's the case, if you can increase the appeal of the mascot by 50% by making it well liked by girls AND boys, is that not more popular?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Nanigans posted:

Even if that's the case, if you can increase the appeal of the mascot by 50% by making it well liked by girls AND boys, is that not more popular?

It's a marketing thing and it also depends on the types of merchandise pushed. Boys aren't likely to buy plush toys just as girls aren't likely to buy action figures. Obviously it's better to appeal to as many demographics as possible, but it's easier to market specifically to certain demographics rather than just trying to cast a broad net and risk getting sniped by a competitor doing that type of surgical appeal. Thus, there are more action-y pokemon to appeal to boys like Lucario and Charizard, while also having cuter Pokemon like Eevee and Dedene.

Yes, marketing like that is sexist as gently caress. That doesn't mean that it's still not done.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Bunch of outlets got to play the first hour and a half of the game. Mostly very positive impressions.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Nanigans posted:

Its because they thought people would like it more, not because they did, is what i’m saying. They were probably right though.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

So I can't really help but feel hyped for this game, despite any other bad press. I'm a born-and-raised Londoner and have been waiting for Pokemon to tackle the UK Since X and Y. Am fully especting to see endless green fields, tiny towns and then one massive city (just like in real life).

Curious to see what aspects of the city they pick up on. I'd love to see pokeskyscrapers from Canning Town, the houses of Parliament, the Shard, London Eye (big pokeball?), the london underground or even somewhere a bit different like Camden market. I saw in the first town there's an old, victorian-style thatched house that was super cute.

tbh though I wouldn't be surprised if Pokelondon was just another quaint little town with a big bonger

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Calico Heart posted:

a big bonger

hehehehe

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Calico Heart posted:

So I can't really help but feel hyped for this game, despite any other bad press. I'm a born-and-raised Londoner and have been waiting for Pokemon to tackle the UK Since X and Y. Am fully especting to see endless green fields, tiny towns and then one massive city (just like in real life).

Curious to see what aspects of the city they pick up on. I'd love to see pokeskyscrapers from Canning Town, the houses of Parliament, the Shard, London Eye (big pokeball?), the london underground or even somewhere a bit different like Camden market. I saw in the first town there's an old, victorian-style thatched house that was super cute.

tbh though I wouldn't be surprised if Pokelondon was just another quaint little town with a big bonger

It's really cool to get a native's perspective on how they fictionalize your city. They've done ferris wheels with Pokeball motifs before. Don't see why they can't do it again. Same with subways (bring back the battle subway and join avenue!).

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Calico Heart posted:

I get ya. If they ever do a game in PokeMexico, I'd be down to buy day-1 even if they had no info reveal beyond charizard getting a new form for every type or something.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

It's neat to think about what coulda been if they'd gone forward with Clefairy.

I think the appeal of Pikachu would've pulled through but maybe if they'd started with Clefairy and it just did okay that would've made them make the anime with seasonal casts instead of constant Ash since Ash mainly stays on to keep Pikachu there IMO.

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012
In the Clefairy-mascot timeline you can go into all the Kalos Powerplants

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

in the latest round of 'supposed leak that could very possibly be an actual thing maybe if only because they're not trying to photoshop a bunch of stupid poo poo and pass it off as real' some person on 4chan apparently did a little AMA with what sounds like interesting info if actually true. if nothing else they seem to actually 'get' how gamefreak would do things even if they're making it all up.

not that i'm assuming it is real, but, after the affleck leak i can't 100% discount everything out of hand

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Previews sounds like they really improved and streamlined the tutorial section to get you in the thick of things faster

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I get ya. If they ever do a game in PokeMexico, I'd be down to buy day-1 even if they had no info reveal beyond charizard getting a new form for every type or something.

I want to see Pokemon Día de los Muertos

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
That AMA link can't be found so....

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Review copies are out now so that should make leaks more likely to be legit at least.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

If anyone's got a mighty need for some pokemons action right now, Disc Creatures just came out! https://store.steampowered.com/app/1083190/Disc_Creatures/

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

That AMA link can't be found so....

I saved the image from it

https://imgur.com/G22cq01

Some of it is very stupid. Like Kurt's brother Kort who fulfills the same role as Samson Oak did and gives you random apricorn ball.

Other stuff like the fossils being a saber-toothed tiger and wooly mammoth I want right now

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I read through it, and yeah, a lot of it sounds believable. Like the op said, very Game Freak-esque.

If what this guy said is true, I'll probably switch to Shield. I like me my fire types.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Could be real but he says Hop uses the starter and "Corvipage."

In their first 90 minutes impressions, GameSpot confirmed he uses the starter and Wooloo.

GameSpot played Shield, so this could vary between them, but this guy is claiming to know info from both which makes me skeptical so I won't read past that.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Johnny Joestar posted:

in the latest round of 'supposed leak that could very possibly be an actual thing maybe if only because they're not trying to photoshop a bunch of stupid poo poo and pass it off as real' some person on 4chan apparently did a little AMA with what sounds like interesting info if actually true. if nothing else they seem to actually 'get' how gamefreak would do things even if they're making it all up.

not that i'm assuming it is real, but, after the affleck leak i can't 100% discount everything out of hand

I wish this was formatted better it's hard to read as is.

Some points I was able to get off before I got annoyed.

Says it's better than X/Y and Sun/Moon but not BW2.

The rest are spoilers so be careful in case it's real
Chairman Rose is the champion because Leon is a fraud who was secretly given a power boosted Charizard by Rose and it's only found out because his Charizard one shots Marnies Jellicent causing Team Yell to riot.
Starters final typings are Grass/Rock, Fire/Steel, and Water/Ghost.
Zamazenta is Fire/Steel and Zacian is Water/Steel
No new eeveelutions
27 Galar form Pokemon
Sewer Rat called Sneesqueek poison type evolves into Kingsqueek which is Poison/Dark
Curts Galarian brother is in and he makes appricorn balls from curry ingredients.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

Curts Galarian brother is in and he makes appricorn balls from curry ingredients.

I want this one to be real badly

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Nanigans posted:

I read through it, and yeah, a lot of it sounds believable. Like the op said, very Game Freak-esque.

If what this guy said is true, I'll probably switch to Shield. I like me my fire types.
counterpoint: outside of box legends, version exclusivity basically means nothing nowadays what with wireless internet and goon trading threads

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i have no idea why some people don't understand the idea of just putting screenshots in neat rows for things like this instead of vomiting segments from their clipboard into a jumble on mspaint

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Some points I was able to get off before I got annoyed.

Says it's better than X/Y and Sun/Moon but not BW2.

The rest are spoilers so be careful in case it's real
Chairman Rose is the champion because Leon is a fraud who was secretly given a power boosted Charizard by Rose and it's only found out because his Charizard one shots Marnies Jellicent causing Team Yell to riot.
Starters final typings are Grass/Rock, Fire/Steel, and Water/Ghost.
Zamazenta is Fire/Steel and Zacian is Water/Steel
No new eeveelutions
27 Galar form Pokemon
Sewer Rat called Sneesqueek poison type evolves into Kingsqueek which is Poison/Dark

Could you do more of this because it's murdering my eyes to read that tiny text.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Johnny Joestar posted:

i have no idea why some people don't understand the idea of just putting screenshots in neat rows for things like this instead of vomiting segments from their clipboard into a jumble on mspaint

The CoroCoro reading experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Blaziken386 posted:

counterpoint: outside of box legends, version exclusivity basically means nothing nowadays what with wireless internet and goon trading threads

I know, I know. But typing, as dumb and irrational as it is, especially for something I'll never, ever use, matters to me. Gotta support fire types, bro! Blaze up!

Plus, despite thinking swords are cooler than shields in the general sense, I think Zamazenta looks cooler than Zacian, and I like red more than blue.

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 17, 2019