Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

peter gabriel posted:

I am super interested in this too, I have a Samsung 360 camera and it rocks, but I'd like an easy way for people to 'be inside' the vids in a Rift easily, I have some live music videos I'd love to share to pals
The only thing I have found so far is re uploading to Youtube direct from the editing software I have, but that kinda sucks

Have you tried using Skybox theatre? I think it does 360, alternately I used virtual desktop to view my 360 pictures and movies, it plays then natively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

Has any company talked about two player VR stuff?

With the Quest could you have a buddy (also wearing a Quest) in the room with you also in the game?

I'm thinking of a shooting game like timecop or something might be good.

Unless you live in a warehouse I'm struggling to think of a situation that doesn't end with one player smacking the other in the face.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
Edit: nm beat to comment.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Unless you live in a warehouse I'm struggling to think of a situation that doesn't end with one player smacking the other in the face.

Aside from the obvious, most people have trouble laying out space just for a standing setup, letalone roomscale. The percentage who have space for multiple people to set up a viable shared VR space in a home is gonna be such a small subset that it's not even worth considering outside of VRcade-dedicated software.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I would like to see the stories of people knocking each other the gently caress out by VR'ing in the same space :v:

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
I can imagine a fighting game (with excellent force feedback). Shouldn't be too hard to put a controller in a boxing glove.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

My living room is a skating rink and I'm thinking of splurging on a VR-ready gaming laptop and handing down my old HMD to it when I upgrade so I can do local 2-player shootmans and stuff.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RabbitWizard posted:

I used the Software "4K Video Downloader" to download 360° videos from youtube. I couldn't find a player that can deal with the resulting mp4 for my Rift.
Do I have to download the videos another way?
I'm sure one of you already went through this, any help would be appreciated. Note: I don't want to stream because my internet is poo poo.

Virtual Desktop can play 360 videos in a bunch of formats. It costs a few bucks but its worth it.

peter gabriel posted:

I am super interested in this too, I have a Samsung 360 camera and it rocks, but I'd like an easy way for people to 'be inside' the vids in a Rift easily, I have some live music videos I'd love to share to pals
The only thing I have found so far is re uploading to Youtube direct from the editing software I have, but that kinda sucks

See above

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Now I have to try payday VR. Thanks thread!

DO IT. Its really really good. Make sure you download the "Payday VR" DLC (free), or it won't work, but otherwise you just launch Payday 2.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

spacetoaster posted:

With the Quest could you have a buddy (also wearing a Quest) in the room with you also in the game?

If you're in VR why be in the same room?

I play payday in VR with my roommate, with him in his room and me in my room, but we have voice chat on and we're in VR.

As far as I can tell we're in the same space. There's nothing that would be improved by actually having him in the same room as me; I have no idea what's going on in the room I'm in the videogame!

That's like, the whole cool thing about VR. You can plug into VR and be sitting in a room across a table from someone who is on the other side of the planet. And it convincingly feels like you're in the same room as them. Digital presence.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

spacetoaster posted:

https://zerolatencyvr.com/

Not quite what you're after, but look at this.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

RabbitWizard posted:

I used the Software "4K Video Downloader" to download 360° videos from youtube. I couldn't find a player that can deal with the resulting mp4 for my Rift.
I'm sure one of you already went through this, any help would be appreciated. Note: I don't want to stream because my internet is poo poo.

Hmm does the desktop rift not have any good browsers or youtube apps? I know with the WebVR stuff if you have a headset attached you just click a button and it sends it to the headset.
On the Quest/Go you can use the official youtube app, a web browser like Firefox Reality or the built in one, or if you have the files a video player like Skybox. It looks like there is Skybox for Rift and its a free thing https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1393269044113553/

I know recently the Quest version got updated to support more formats. If the Quest Skybox was updated to support H.265 at like 60fps I think the Rift should be able to do it. That is if your video card doesn't have a problem at least. Or you just need to convert to H.264 which has broader support.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Local multiplayer VR is also just called sports. Hope this helps

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Local multiplayer VR is also just called sports. Hope this helps

Back when VR was first a buzzword in the 90's my dad would joke when I got excited about it that there's this thing called actual reality with absolutely flawless graphics.

IOW, you're boomer-posting. :colbert:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sorry, I forgot to append my post with :corsair:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

spacetoaster posted:

Quests do have the ability to send player position and Guardian maps to one-another, and before Dead and Buried 2 came out they did some private demo stuff that involved shared-space multiplayer.

I'm just gonna assume the evil Facebook Lawyers are forbidding devs from doing it. They did remove the "disable Guardian" feature from the Quest in 9.0 which I'm still livid about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJXpHp_iQF4

and here's two programmers and an artist getting it working during a game jam in 2018:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msbTbfep_sY

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 17, 2019

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

Quests do have the ability to send player position and Guardian maps to one-another, and before Dead and Buried 2 came out they did some private demo stuff that involved shared-space multiplayer.

I'm just gonna assume the evil Facebook Lawyers are forbidding devs from doing it. They did remove the "disable Guardian" feature from the Quest in 9.0 which I'm still livid about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJXpHp_iQF4

I'm pretty certain they haven't removed it, but they did kick headsets out of dev mode, so you'll need to reenable it.

The Space Pirate Trainer guys have also been experimenting with some locational stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMZXLD5jiF8

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Lemming posted:

I'm pretty certain they haven't removed it, but they did kick headsets out of dev mode, so you'll need to reenable it.

edit: you're right it's back, they moved it around

Why are there still no colocation games/demos in downloadable form yet then? You'll cowards

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 17, 2019

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

RabbitWizard posted:

Just search for "VR media player" in the steam shop and try all the free ones. I like DeoVR.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

edit: you're right it's back, they moved it around

Why are there still no colocation games/demos in downloadable form yet then? You'll cowards

Oculus was using a private unreleased tech (had giant QR codes everywhere) and no one knows if they will ever release it or use it ever again. Some people have successfully done local multi. One implementation is this. Each HMD does it own guardian, then when you start the app up they have the two players walk to each other and touch the controllers. By doing so they two HMD can get an idea of where the other one is as both HMD report their own location (in relation to their own guardian) then they share the data to the other HMD. Since they have a shared location from the two controllers touching they can place the other player.

There have been some other implementations but they had to do incredibly low level things (so wouldn't' work in Unity/Unreal).

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Stick100 posted:

Oculus was using a private unreleased tech (had giant QR codes everywhere) and no one knows if they will ever release it or use it ever again. Some people have successfully done local multi. One implementation is this. Each HMD does it own guardian, then when you start the app up they have the two players walk to each other and touch the controllers. By doing so they two HMD can get an idea of where the other one is as both HMD report their own location (in relation to their own guardian) then they share the data to the other HMD. Since they have a shared location from the two controllers touching they can place the other player.

There have been some other implementations but they had to do incredibly low level things (so wouldn't' work in Unity/Unreal).

I know they are cooking up some stuff, like they have some code that can be added to apps to support mixed reality streaming to OBS where you have a background game later, a camera and then an overlay for foreground so it you see what a person would look like in the VR space but in 3rd person.

I wouldn't be surprised if features get added to the SDK for shared space ability at some point, but I would guess it is pretty low on the priorities unless they have some business clients that would push for it for some use case.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The best multiplayer games will come when we have full haptic feedback suits.
:wink:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Teledildonics is IN baby!

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
https://www.roadtovr.com/hands-on-marvel-iron-man-vr-preview-psvr-playstation-vr/

This looks like it could be pretty fun - Iron Man VR game coming out in February for PSVR. I think it's priced about £35, what does that mean in terms of PSVR games, any chance it will be a decent length?

It would be pretty hilarious if Sony gets a Marvel hit for PSVR, given how shockingly bad Oculus's own (extremely expensive) attempt at milking the franchise was.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Does cross play on Oculus work both ways? If I buy from the quest store do I get it in the rift store too? I know the other way works

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Chin Strap posted:

Does cross play on Oculus work both ways? If I buy from the quest store do I get it in the rift store too? I know the other way works

Yeah the title shows as Free and you just buy it for 0 dollars basically.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

JHVH-1 posted:

Yeah the title shows as Free and you just buy it for 0 dollars basically.

Yes this is also true if you bought the game on Go, now you get them on Quest and some you also get on Rift for free. You have to find and "buy" them to see them in your library on the other platforms.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Sublevel Zero Redux is on a good deal today if you wanted some more 6DOF Descent-style shooting;

https://store.steampowered.com/app/327880/Sublevel_Zero_Redux/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3ktHyyJjo0

for less than four quid I'll take a look :)

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Aside from the obvious, most people have trouble laying out space just for a standing setup, letalone roomscale. The percentage who have space for multiple people to set up a viable shared VR space in a home is gonna be such a small subset that it's not even worth considering outside of VRcade-dedicated software.

Yeah, might not want to do it with games that would have you running around a room.

I have people over and you really can't play VR because then one person gets to play while everyone else just does something else.

With a gaming console I just toss my buddies the extra controllers and we play a game. I think it'd be just as cool to toss them headsets so we could race cars or whatever.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Got my quest today and I can't find a single place in my house that meets the recommended room scale size. Going to have to figure it is some temporary rearrangement will get me closer. Just a lot of narrow rooms.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

spacetoaster posted:

Yeah, might not want to do it with games that would have you running around a room.

I have people over and you really can't play VR because then one person gets to play while everyone else just does something else.

With a gaming console I just toss my buddies the extra controllers and we play a game. I think it'd be just as cool to toss them headsets so we could race cars or whatever.

Turn on casting and watch them flail on your TV while they play.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

spacetoaster posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/868150/Takelings_House_Party/

Sup.

Gonna leave this right here for ya.

Also apparently works with parsec.

Up to a total of 9 players? something like that.
Not enough controllers? Whatever, Download the companion app and use your smart phone.

Yeeeee VR Couch gaming your friends can join in on. WOOP

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
Whoever asked me to fix Home Plate Baseball, please go get the latest version on sidequest/itch. You may have to uninstall/reinstall. I think I managed to fix all of the crash issues.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

Mazaria in Ikebukuro (VR Zone Shinjuku 2.0, including the old games), as of July:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnUz2RQX_Tw

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Zaphod42 posted:

Virtual Desktop can play 360 videos in a bunch of formats. It costs a few bucks but its worth it.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't plan on paying money to watch some 360° clips on youtube ;)

Nektu posted:

Just search for "VR media player" in the steam shop and try all the free ones. I like DeoVR.
I love DeoVR.
DeoVR and everything I tried can work with vertical or horizontal split for right/left eye.

360°(Youtube) videos look like this:

The 360° setting in all players I tried couldn't deal with that.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Oof VR sea legs really are a thing. Going to have to build this up slowly.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Chin Strap posted:

Oof VR sea legs really are a thing. Going to have to build this up slowly.

Yeah. And stop the second you start to feel like you’re turning sick. Don’t let your brain associate that feeling with a game or it’s ruined.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
I've always been really easy to make car sick if I'm not driving too. Has anyone noticed if prolonged VR experience has lessened their overall susceptibility to carsickness?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chin Strap posted:

I've always been really easy to make car sick if I'm not driving too. Has anyone noticed if prolonged VR experience has lessened their overall susceptibility to carsickness?

It absolutely does, yes. Just go slow, stop when you need to and try again when you feel up to it. You'll adapt over time at your own pace.

edit: Misread that as VR-sickness :doh:.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, if i'm the passenger of a car i can now actually read texts and emails now. Before i'd just immediately want to hurl. Also helped my seasickness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

My wife gets airsick every time we fly. I'm hoping her VR usage has lessened that.