Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I imagine the event will mostly be 4x goose, oko, ouat, wolf, reef, cavalier, a few agents, then some other chaff.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

No Wave posted:

I imagine the event will mostly be 4x goose, oko, ouat, wolf, reef, cavalier, a few agents, then some other chaff.

I think you are a little confused about what this event is, friend.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Someone here said it was Eldraine block constructed which includes M20 and Eldraine. is either of those things wrong?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

No Wave posted:

Someone here said it was Eldraine block constructed which includes M20 and Eldraine. is either of those things wrong?

block constructed is not a thing anymore because blocks are not a thing and why on earth would m20 be tried to throne of eldraine?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
you're right about 4x goose, oko, ouat, and wolf though. And then just fill that out

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

(Guilds of) Ravnica block constructed included Guilds, Allegiance and War of the Spark because they were all set in Ravnica.

Eldraine block constructed is just Throne of Eldraine, so I don't know why they bothered to say block

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Next set better have a ton of geese. I've moved my tribal love from wolf to geese. Adjust your charts accordingly.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Paul Zuvella posted:

block constructed is not a thing anymore because blocks are not a thing and why on earth would m20 be tried to throne of eldraine?

No Wave (if I'm remembering correctly) is either a new player or a newly returning player (I am the latter). His assumption that m20 was part of the block made sense since m20 is basically designed to be paired with the Eldraine block , even if it weren't correct. smh at the bolded part, though: 1) they were responding to someone who said block constructed so it's not their fault 2) block constructed isn't a thing anymore? 3) blocks are not a thing? I want to be clear that I'm asking completely rhetorically because that's all knowledge about stuff that you wouldn't probably know if you are new or whatever. I literally don't care about the answers to those questions.

Doltos posted:

Next set better have a ton of geese. I've moved my tribal love from wolf to geese. Adjust your charts accordingly.

Honk! (gain control of target artifact)

Goose Assassin - Rogue Goose

Oko's Goose - Legendary Goose

Pacify (new art)

Rake of the Loch - UG Artifact

Honking Well (sacrifice a Goose to draw 4 cards)

Okay now where's my money WotC?

The Sean fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 17, 2019

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

It's just called "Eldraine Constructed" there.
But I'm an old fart and recognize it as 'block constructed' even though there arn't blocks anymore.
Sorry for the confusion. Eldraine cards only.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

No Wave posted:

this reminded me, why did Risen Reef seemingly disappear from the meta since the start of Eldraine? The Elemental decks didn't really lose anything, and it synergizes with Field too

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Love waking up, brewing some coffee, loading up MTGA, queuing into Golos, queuing into Simic Flash, and then proceeding to rage out at the unfairness of the world

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Mike N Eich posted:

this reminded me, why did Risen Reef seemingly disappear from the meta since the start of Eldraine? The Elemental decks didn't really lose anything, and it synergizes with Field too

Elementals wasn't actually a good deck and risen reef sometimes shows up in golos/fires lists as another accelerant.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Mike N Eich posted:

I figure it's the lack of new Elementals in Eldraine. The deck hasn't gained anything either, and why rest on an established deck when there's new cards to try?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The Sean posted:

No Wave (if I'm remembering correctly) is either a new player or a newly returning player (I am the latter). His assumption that m20 was part of the block made sense since m20 is basically designed to be paired with the Eldraine block , even if it weren't correct. smh at the bolded part, though: 1) they were responding to someone who said block constructed so it's not their fault 2) block constructed isn't a thing anymore? 3) blocks are not a thing? I want to be clear that I'm asking completely rhetorically because that's all knowledge about stuff that you wouldn't probably know if you are new or whatever. I literally don't care about the answers to those questions.
i appreciate the consideration.

But truthfully I was just misremembering how ravnica constructed worked (the formats are all made up so i will forgive myself)

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The Sean posted:

wut

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Mike N Eich posted:

temur/Omnath elementals was never any good, sultai/Yarok elementals lost wildwood and the explore package

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Sultai Yarok is stronger now than it was pre-rotation, it’s just that it gets utterly dumpstered by Golos so no one cares

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
As a midrange deck you don't want to play against another midrange deck that just goes a little bigger than you. For Elementals that's Golos.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hi thread. I suck at this game but have been enjoying the Green/Red deck that the game gives you called "Gruul Clans." I haven't spent any of my card upgrades yet and was thinking about swapping out a few cards for some upgrades. Maybe like a Planeswalker or two, or maybe some artifacts?

Under consideration:
Cindervines
Vivien, Champion of the Wilds,
Domri, Anarch of Bolas
Vivien, Arkbow Ranger
Domri, Chaos Bringer
Rowan, Fearless Sparkmage
Vivien, Nature's Avenger
Domri, City Smasher
The Great Henge

I was thinking about removing some of these to make room:
Rubblebelt Runner
Frenzied Arynx
Bolrac-Clan Crusher (???)
Burning-Tree Vandal

Any thoughts? Is there something else I should be considering doing?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's what a meta Gruul deck looks like so you wanna go in that direction, depending on your goals. In your list, Anarch, Arkbow Ranger, and Henge see regular play, thought not necessarily in Gruul. Safest craft there is Anarch imo.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Keep in mind Gruul is mostly a metadeck at the moment because it preys on the Golos Field decks that are currently everywhere and that deck might cease to exist in a week since there's a decent chance of a key card getting banned.

If you like the deck go for it but go to mtggoldfish and look at build options that won't eat all your wildcards.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fast Gruul has been at least t2 for a while, I'd say it's a pretty safe direction to go. Post-hypothectical-FotD banning Gruul will still include Questing Beast, Spellbreaker, Giant, etc. Really the only full concession to Golos besides tempo is Embercleave, which yeah, don't just snap craft those.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thank you. :) You all are talking way above my head, but I appreciate it.

I dropped the 2x Frenzied Arynx and the 1x Bolrac-Clan Crusher and crafted 2x Domri, Anarch of Bolas and 1x Zhur-Taa Goblin. I played a round or two and am happy so far.

[Edit: To give you an idea, I've been playing for a week and just hit Silver. So, super newbie.]

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Currently in my 7 win game for limited against a guy with 3 revenge of ravens, 4 secret keepers, 4 bake into pies, and two clovers. He's clocking me now because I was answering everything and he's about to lose.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Also speaking of bastard limited decks no one queue up for limited for a while I'm using this thing

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think it can be really nice for new players to figure out one of the precons they like, then craft say, four commons, four uncommons, two rares, and two mythics as upgrades to that deck. It will boost the power a ton and let you know if "finishing" the deck is a goal or if it's OK to move on to something else.

If you go that route and try to focus on rares/mythics that fit into other decks as well, you can make your wildcards go a lot further than just dumping everything into one meta deck.

Anyway, if I were to go that route with that Gruul deck, taking the stock list and crafting two Bonecrusher Giants, one Questing Beast, one Embercleave, then finishing out the playset of Zhur-taa Goblin, making 3 Paradise Druids, and 4 Shocks. Those are all cards that will be playable in other decks, are really integral to helping that deck do what it wants to do, and shouldn't eat too deeply into your WC reserve starting out.

Internet Explorer posted:

Thank you. :) You all are talking way above my head, but I appreciate it.

I dropped the 2x Frenzied Arynx and the 1x Bolrac-Clan Crusher and crafted 2x Domri, Anarch of Bolas and 1x Zhur-Taa Goblin. I played a round or two and am happy so far.

[Edit: To give you an idea, I've been playing for a week and just hit Silver. So, super newbie.]

Planeswalkers are really interesting and fun, and if that was the card that was calling to you, you made the right craft. The above advice, particularly the common and uncommons, might be a good place to turn next.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 17, 2019

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Still playing stompy, still think it's probably the best Bo1 deck right now. It's very bad in Bo3, and I expect that a fields ban will hurt its standing in the meta pretty hard, but it was fun while it lasted.

Dom is Here
Nov 11, 2016

Lipstick Apathy
EmberGruul loving slaps and i hope it stays around forever

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Dom is Here posted:

how does a questing beast even hold a sword anyway

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

one-headed, two-headed, or head-and-a-half

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Zyla posted:

how does a questing beast even hold a sword anyway

very carefully

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Dom is Here posted:

:hf:

Rakdos aggro was a little more fun to play imo, but beating golos and esper nonsense bullshit is a pleasure of its own

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

little munchkin posted:

very carefully

Caw-blade, except whatever sound a weasel makes

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Upcoming Eldraine Constructed is 250g to enter, you get 150g and 2 ICRs if you go 2-2.

If chance of getting rares from the two cards is still 25% from the first and 10% from the second, which iirc is the limited event rate at 2 wins, then it doesn't look like a bad ratio for the gold spent. Do limited events also give xp or am I dreaming? Can't find the info anywhere.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Kawabata posted:

Upcoming Eldraine Constructed is 250g to enter, you get 150g and 2 ICRs if you go 2-2.

If chance of getting rares from the two cards is still 25% from the first and 10% from the second, which iirc is the limited event rate at 2 wins, then it doesn't look like a bad ratio for the gold spent. Do limited events also give xp or am I dreaming? Can't find the info anywhere.

you never get xp from things that cost resources to play

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Zyla posted:

you never get xp from things that cost resources to play
I am seriously finding it weird people don't recognize this pattern. Was there EVER an event that did so? I feel like I'm being gooselit.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Spiderdrake posted:

I am seriously finding it weird people don't recognize this pattern. Was there EVER an event that did so? I feel like I'm being gooselit.

For whatever reason I was under the impression that you got some xp for the first win or something like that. No idea why and yeah it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kawabata posted:

For whatever reason I was under the impression that you got some xp for the first win or something like that. No idea why and yeah it doesn't make a lot of sense.

you only get xp if you're smart enough to queue in with mono-u

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Arivia posted:

you only get xp if you're smart enough to queue in with mono-u

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Kawabata posted:

There was a series of events for the M20 mastery where this was the case. If you get XP for a win it will explicitly list it in the rewards.