Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Platystemon posted:

It’s the most plausible evidence for astrology I’ve ever seen, not that that’s saying much.

Lol there's a very popular denier argument about solar cycles that was literally created by an astrologer, who has since put out papers saying "sure I was wrong before but the major minimum is the next one" 3 loving times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Nenonen posted:

Thank you, that matches. It's amusing how much it looks like a Nazi swastika when scaled down enough.

I know there is a British Leyland joke buried here somewhere. Besides "someone actually bought one willingly".

Der Kyhe has a new favorite as of 16:47 on Oct 6, 2019

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

zoux posted:

The maths is incontrovertible lads

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm the centrist monarchy

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Wow. The best one yet, as it accurately classifies my political beliefs.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

they still managed to sneak in a libertarian sex-pest reference :wow:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

the fedora is hardly snuck in, my dude

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

the night vision goggles :ssh:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the night vision goggles :ssh:

NVG is a prepper reference?

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

:goofy:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
It's a good illustration of how 2008 hosed up everything. :v:

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Ah, the Jeremy Bearimy timeline style

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Wrong thread

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sereri posted:

Ah, the Jeremy Bearimy timeline style

this is what you learn in class after Jeremy speaks

bertolt rekt
Jul 30, 2007

ahh yes, "Official Interest Rate," every economist's favorite market indicator

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

As terrible as this chart is at actually representing information, the whole dramatic turnaround where the line just starts marching backwards does at least remind me of the old fun graph of Napoleon's invasion of Russia:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I see the really strong relationship between these two variables over time...

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

As terrible as this chart is at actually representing information, the whole dramatic turnaround where the line just starts marching backwards does at least remind me of the old fun graph of Napoleon's invasion of Russia:

This is literally one of my favourite graphs ever.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
the researchers i work with have a soft spot for connected scatterplots like that but i always wonder if small multiples or something would be better. it just takes me so long to parse things out, even if there's better visual encoding of directionality than in the example shown

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

My favourite part of many is how the note at the bottom says that the last two months weren't available so they extrapolated instead of just ending where the data ended.

They then proceed to extrapolate it in a way that doesn't look like anything else in the history of the data points. Extrapolation successful!

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

TinTower posted:

This is literally one of my favourite graphs ever.

that graph was taught to me in school as one of the best ones ever. i believe it. a fun fact about it is that the guy who designed it made it because he was anti-war, and wanted to have an easy way to show people how much Napoleon's wars were costing in terms of human life

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Tree Goat posted:

the researchers i work with have a soft spot for connected scatterplots like that but i always wonder if small multiples or something would be better. it just takes me so long to parse things out, even if there's better visual encoding of directionality than in the example shown
Not going to be news to anyone but: it really depends on what story you're trying to tell, and what the "dominant" narratives are that you are trying to disprove or add nuance to. Sometimes the parsing is equivalent to the parsing you need to do to know what's going on in the first place, so something that's hard to get isn't necessarily bad.

The way most people think about economic policy, you'd like to be in the bottom right of that graph because you have low unemployment AND you have the most dry powder if a recession hits. Right now we have decent unemployment (debatable but, regardless of metric, it's decent relative to recent history) but if things turn south the Fed is going to be firing spitballs.... Also, real low interest rates can inflate bubbles as capital piles into other asset classes, so you might be increasing the chance that things turn south. The major macro variable omitted, that historically economists were obsessed with, was inflation (and in no small part because the rich people and lenders paying their salaries cared the most about it, and could argue for austerity crying about it) but that's been real low for the duration. Okay I'll stop now.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Lutha Mahtin posted:

that graph was taught to me in school as one of the best ones ever. i believe it. a fun fact about it is that the guy who designed it made it because he was anti-war, and wanted to have an easy way to show people how much Napoleon's wars were costing in terms of human life

I can totally believe that, I always thought it was a deeply disturbing image

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Have you people seen the new Youtube channel Data is Beautiful?

They have some nice animated graphs.

https://youtube.com/channel/UCkWbqlDAyJh2n8DN5X6NZyg/videos

Just an example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTPCU9I0CKA

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

I can totally believe that, I always thought it was a deeply disturbing image

There's a radio program here called 'In Our Time' (it's really good, you should check it out) and they just did an episode on Napoleon in Moscow, the numbers are astounding. Napoleon won a battle losing only 15000 men dead and injured. He then went back to Paris and raised more armies on the back of some fake news.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Have you people seen the new Youtube channel Data is Beautiful?

They have some nice animated graphs.

https://youtube.com/channel/UCkWbqlDAyJh2n8DN5X6NZyg/videos

Just an example:
That is more boring and derivative then awful and funny.
Though that reminded me of that older channel with the same concept, and their experiment at creating the literal opposite of data visualization:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vux1Ztp88Fk

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Yeah, I find the fetishization of Napoleon as some great revolutionary hero pretty disturbing, given the millions (?) of people who died in his wars.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://twitter.com/ActuallyFinance/status/1184814836263329794
(yes definitely a crime)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The source is linked in a reply, and... I, uh... what?

I have no words to describe that first big round whatever-it-is. Just the way they put percentages of income and percentages of people on the same scale would be enough to make this a terrible graph, but there's so much else going on that makes it one for the hall of fame.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Powered Descent posted:

The source is linked in a reply, and... I, uh... what?

I have no words to describe that first big round whatever-it-is. Just the way they put percentages of income and percentages of people on the same scale would be enough to make this a terrible graph, but there's so much else going on that makes it one for the hall of fame.

Is there a rule in the infographics world that a type of graph can only be used once? So even if a straightforward bar graph is the best choice for multiple items, the have to come up with a circular layout, or a misused pie chart instead to keep things exciting?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
the gently caress is that last thing where 10% is just under half as tall as 60%

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Well, they're doing it by area, which normally is better... it's at the end of a brain-breaking chart where everything up to there is by height/length (I think?) though so yeah it's a mess.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

pangstrom posted:

Well, they're doing it by area, which normally is better...
no

nooooo

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
yeah, it is
see how misleading this is, for example
https://visual.ly/community/infographic/environment/worst-oil-spills-history

edit: to be clear, I mean IF you are going to make shapes that aren't just bars of fixed width (where area scales with length anyway), then you should map the values onto the area of the shapes

pangstrom has a new favorite as of 19:01 on Oct 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

pangstrom posted:

yeah, it is
see how misleading this is, for example
https://visual.ly/community/infographic/environment/worst-oil-spills-history

edit: to be clear, I mean IF you are going to make shapes that aren't just bars of fixed width (where area scales with length anyway), then you should map the values onto the area of the shapes

People tend to be really awful at understanding and comparing the area of circles, though.