Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
when i was figuring out how to use the autopilot i flew directly into the sun at a high rate of speed

when i respawned i asked the dude at the campfire about it, the ship builder. there was special dialogue. i was like "hey man, what happens if theoretically there's a large object between you and your destination and the autopilot kills you, i mean, could kill you" and the response back was something on the order of "yeah we advise that you don't put large objects between you and your destination, dumbass"

excellent details

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

WrightOfWay posted:

lmao if you didn't immediately jump down the geyser and drown.

Hell yeah

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

luxury handset posted:

when i was figuring out how to use the autopilot i flew directly into the sun at a high rate of speed

Yep, this. "oh lets just autopilot to the interloper"

wait no. NONONONONONO CANCEL AUTOPILOT CANCEL, drat YO--

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

luxury handset posted:

dark bramble was bad, but my god giant's deep hosed me up. i HATE deep water in video games

Before I started taking sertraline (Zoloft) I had a massive fear of videogame sharks and underwater creatures. Not real ones, videogame ones. Like, if there was water in any videogame I'd refuse to go into it because I was so scared of having to deal with sharks and stuff.

Now I'm on the anti-anxiety medication I've played Subnautica and had a great time, but gently caress the living anglerfish in Dark Bramble. That's a "Play with the sound off and my hands gripping the loving controller like it's keeping me anchored to the planet" moment right there. I got through it fine several times but that's one of the few moments where I've had the little voice deep in my head reminding me that I really, really cannot tolerate that kind of thing :ohdear:

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
If you take off and autopilot to Brittle Hollow right at the start of a loop, you'll consistently fly right into the Lantern. I suspect they set it up like that deliberately.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Krazyface posted:

If you take off and autopilot to Brittle Hollow right at the start of a loop, you'll consistently fly right into the Lantern. I suspect they set it up like that deliberately.

Oh yeah this game is designed to gently caress you if you try and be clever

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

If you immediately auto pilot to Deep Bramble you do a rad slingshot right by the sun.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

My dumbest one was after exploring one of the areas in Brittle Hollow, I had one maybe two bits of info left to collect, I impatiently tapped jump to get over a waist high obstacle I could've just walked around and fell right into the hole because I forgot I was on the ceiling.

I felt like that dumb guy from Consider Phlebas.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Cactus posted:

My dumbest one was after exploring one of the areas in Brittle Hollow, I had one maybe two bits of info left to collect, I impatiently tapped jump to get over a waist high obstacle I could've just walked around and fell right into the hole because I forgot I was on the ceiling.

I feel like that's a thing everybody does the first time. I certainly did.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Cactus posted:

I did that three times getting into the Forge, which, getting there in the first place is loving obnoxious as hell (or was pre-patch) because I didn't realize the same thing. Except in my defense, it's not really obvious at first glance, but man that really killed my gaming momentum and put it down for the night each time.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I've completed the game and even then the only way I got to the Forge was by wedging my ship into it and flying up with my jetpack til the gravity crystal did the rest of the work. I did backtrack to the towers but couldn't figure it out.

I guess you port there but my way was faster :colbert:

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Songbearer posted:

I've completed the game and even then the only way I got to the Forge was by wedging my ship into it and flying up with my jetpack til the gravity crystal did the rest of the work. I did backtrack to the towers but couldn't figure it out.

Personally I just mashed my whole ship into the ceiling until the gravity-floor grabbed it and flipped it over.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

how are you even supposed to get through the ghost matter in the way of the gravity crystal path? I just boosted as close to the "ground" as I could so I didn't flip over and got through before it killed me but that didn't seem right.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Digirat posted:

how are you even supposed to get through the ghost matter in the way of the gravity crystal path? I just boosted as close to the "ground" as I could so I didn't flip over and got through before it killed me but that didn't seem right.

There's ghost matter on those paths in brittle hollow? I only remember seeing ghost matter in the houses, but it was easy to get around. I had so much trouble with Brittle Hollow, like it took me at least 5 full cycles to actually find and flip the switch that raises the black hole forge and then another cycle or two to go back and get the rest of the info.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Songbearer posted:

Triarii posted:

Personally I just mashed my whole ship into the ceiling until the gravity-floor grabbed it and flipped it over.

There's no shame in these solutions, they are totally in-character.

I've always been entering the city by finding a hole in the surface, flying under the crust and parking awkwardly on the bridge but apparently there's been a shortcut from the surface to the meltwater district all this time??

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
My first death was the end of the first loop, after launch I decided to check out the Interloper and decided incorrectly upon arriving near it that you couldn't land on it, got distracted by the white hole, found WHS, then the loop ended while I was wandering around Brittle Hollow's north pole.

My stupidest death was forgetting to put on my space suit, but landing near another hearthian such that their trees made it okay...until I wandered a bit further away and suffocated. Also testing out the eject button killed me.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

jjac posted:

There's no shame in these solutions, they are totally in-character.

I've always been entering the city by finding a hole in the surface, flying under the crust and parking awkwardly on the bridge but apparently there's been a shortcut from the surface to the meltwater district all this time??

Yep, it's one of those "secrets" that the player is intended to initially find as their way out, like the cave near the gravity cannon on Ember Twin that leads to the Sunless City.

I'm surprised so many people flew their ship under the surface and up to the upside down floor near Black Hole Forge. For some reason it never occurred to me to do that.

I just brute force platformed my way up the broken elevator lol

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
On Brittle Hollow at the end, the Black Hole Forge screwed with me pretty bad because I was almost certain that I had to go to the Vessel, grab the busted warp core and bring it to the Forge, recharge it by bringing one or two of the black hole/white hole cores in the High Energy Lab ALL THE WAY over to the Forge, plug in the warp core somehow and like, send it back down into the black hole to recharge it or something, and THEN bring it back to the Vessel to power it. It seemed like such an obvious solution, and I spent a bunch of loops trying it out. In a way I kinda feel like it would have been better that way? It just felt like it made sense. But also it was so difficult to actually do in 20 minutes, and probably impossible because of the Anglers slowing things down so much. I actually figured out bashing my ship against the gravity field at the top in the process of trying to trim off as much time as I could.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Just finished it. Overall I loved it, but echoing other peoples' sentiments that the Ash Twin puzzle execution was too fiddly and the cost of experimentation too high to really feel engaged with that puzzle. I ended up looking it up and it turned out it was something I had tried already that didn't work (the sand just pushed me out) and so had written it off. Similar story for Dark Bramble. I pieced together all the clues about the anglerfish and figured them being blind was the key to getting past them, but I got burned out trying different things and getting immediately killed each time, costing me minutes. Not even Dark Souls at its worst gave me that kind of runback fatigue..

I ended up leaving "more to explore" at Ash Twin's core, despite seemingly reading everything. It might have been one of the projection stone messages, but they all seemed to be the "other end" of ones I had read elsewhere. I was a little rushed so I didn't scrounge around around too much. As far as I know, that's the only thing I left undone in the game. Hopefully it wasn't anything too important.

Rapt0rCharles9231
Oct 20, 2008

Digirat posted:

If I'm thinking of the right place, if you look up and to the right there's a snow-covered ledge that should catch you when you jump/boost over the ghost matter and flip out of the gravity path. From there you just jump back up to the path on the other side of the ghost matter.

There's a couple of unnerving jumps in Brittle Hollow that are easy to self-sabotage yourself on, like on one of the poles where a path just ends and it doesn't look like you have any good options, but you're supposed to just walk off the gravity field and onto a conveniently placed ledge below? At the top of Riebeck's area there's a bit where you're walking on a wall, then fall onto a bridge, then get picked up back onto the wall at the end of the bridge and man do I just not have enough trust to walk off invisible gravity zones.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

LoadingReadyRun finally did a stream of Outer Wilds for their Talking Simulator segment. They died before the observatory, then flew into the sun on literally their first launch. Their third death was finally a full cycle, and unlike so many people, they saw what happened, because they fell into the black hole just a couple minutes before the end:
https://clips.twitch.tv/VenomousPowerfulGoblinBudBlast

I hope they go back to it soon. Cam noticed the 'We left the warp gate before we entered it?' hint before any of the Nomai discussions spelled it out. It's fun watching fairly sharp players discover this game.

Clara
Feb 7, 2004

Bringing this back from page 10 for all the PS4 players who get to buy it today. Do yourself a favour and go in as blind as possible. It's an astounding experience that deserves to be on any GOTY list.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
This is probably my favourite game all year.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The only advice I'd give to new players is that this game has no upgrades; the starting equipment is all you're ever going to get. When you start the game, a part of you will really want to get in the spaceship ASAP, but you have to ignore that part of you and do all the tutorials, so that you understand your gear fully. It'll save you time and frustration in the long run.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Krazyface posted:

The only advice I'd give to new players is

the autopilot is not your friend

This game makes me feel incredibly dumb. Every planet I have been to results in me saying "The gently caress am I meant to be doing now?"

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I had so much fun flying the ship and trying to get my energy expenditure to be as fast and non-lethal as possible I almost never used auto pilot except on the occasions I wanted to pee or respond to a text

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

i finished this a bit ago and it's probably one of my favorite game experiences ever. bummer that i can't eternal sunshine it and experience it again, but i do want to do another run where i keep track of which nomai are which and what exactly they do throughout the story. after i had finished everything, i did go back to the interloper and realizing who the two nomai corpses were was way more meaningful than the first time i had landed there. that's probably my favorite aspect of the game, i think--no matter what order you learn things in, that last puzzle piece where things come together is a total :aaa: moment

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Krazyface posted:

The only advice I'd give to new players is that this game has no upgrades; the starting equipment is all you're ever going to get. When you start the game, a part of you will really want to get in the spaceship ASAP, but you have to ignore that part of you and do all the tutorials, so that you understand your gear fully. It'll save you time and frustration in the long run.

Well, there is one semi-upgrade: meditation. Although I guess the update to the campfires makes that less important.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I finally got to play this thanks to it coming out on PS4 and it was amazing. I want to share the most impactful part of the game for me and figure I should do it in here since it's kind of a huge spoiler:

For the longest time I assumed that getting to the Sun Station and figuring out how to shut it down would be one of the ultimate goals. The route I took through the game meant that I didn't make it to the Ash Twin and the Sun Station tower until I'd gone almost everywhere else. So I'd gathered lots of info about what the Nomai plan has been and thought I had a pretty good handle on what was going on - something had finally triggered the ancient sun station to blow up the sun and the quest for the Eye was carrying on automatically without anyone to oversee it. If I could just complete the quest I could shut it all down and everything would be fine.

Then I finally made it to the Sun Station and found that it was just a worthless hunk of metal. That it had never worked and the sun was blowing up on its own. The realization that the supernova was natural and our species on Timber Hearth just had profoundly bad luck and was doomed no matter what was a serious gut punch. Majorly recontextualized the final portion of the game as I pressed on to find the Eye anyway. It was really cool and sad.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Regy Rusty posted:

Then I finally made it to the Sun Station and found that it was just a worthless hunk of metal. That it had never worked and the sun was blowing up on its own. The realization that the supernova was natural and our species on Timber Hearth just had profoundly bad luck and was doomed no matter what was a serious gut punch.

i had that same thing happen and had to turn the game off to go reconsider everything i thought i knew about what my next steps should be. after sitting next to the skeleton and quietly watching the sun eat the station, of course. one of the best moments i've had playing a game in years.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
:same:

I think a good portion of the thread thought the same thing until you get there and a few other places and things become clear.

I've watched a lot of streams and LPs of this game and some people stumble across this quickly, one person figured it out in the first loop because Chert will confirm it if you talk to him right before it happens. It's also happening everywhere while you're playing, there's a bunch of supernovas going on in the sky and at a certain point there will be noticeably fewer stars, which can be a bit of an indicator for how much time someone has left. One streamer left the game unpaused on their first loop while they read off donations and chat comments, and I just sat there watching the sky while time ran out.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

One time I just blasted off outside of the solar system as far as I could to see how fast I could go and literally (not really a spoiler but spoilering anyway) every single star was gone by the time I got game over'd (I was outside of the super nova range).

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
Amazing game, but I'm struggling a bit with performance - I'm on a ps4 pro, and the frame rate gets pretty rough at times. Gives me a bit of a headache. How is performance on the Xbox / PC? Kinda hoping they can patch it.

But yeah this game ticks so many boxes for me otherwise, I'm dividing my time between this and Disco Elysium and it's like I'm in some sort of gaming heaven

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

beep by grandpa posted:

One time I just blasted off outside of the solar system as far as I could to see how fast I could go and literally (not really a spoiler but spoilering anyway) every single star was gone by the time I got game over'd (I was outside of the super nova range).

Unrelated, but doing this is also a great way to align all the instrument signals so you can listen to the harmony for a while.

Pokeytax
Jun 13, 2005

Zandar posted:

Unrelated, but doing this is also a great way to align all the instrument signals so you can listen to the harmony for a while.

This is a really good idea, it's a good jam. If anyone wants to hear it, this is a custom mix of the harmonies made by a goon (full game spoilers in the comments, obviously!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR_wIb_n4ZU

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride
I cannot figure out how to get inside the Observatory on Brittle Hollow. Seems like there’s juicy info but I cannot make my way in. Can someone give me a tip?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

minya posted:

I cannot figure out how to get inside the Observatory on Brittle Hollow. Seems like there’s juicy info but I cannot make my way in. Can someone give me a tip?

How much of Brittle Hollow have you seen at this point?

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride

Krazyface posted:

How much of Brittle Hollow have you seen at this point?

This is bizarre because this is probably my fifteenth try on the planet but I JUST figured it out as soon as I made this post. What the hell.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I must admit that I wouldn't mind it if the game had a super easy mode, where the game laster 10 minutes longer or so per round. Some of the segments like brittle hollow and the end can be a little tough if you make a mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Amusingly enough, this is the easy mode. The original loop was timed on 18 minutes and doable that way and they stretched it to 4 more after months of playtesting.