Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
In this world, there are only 6 locations/buildings/features which begin with the letter A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

The "Cannot Communicate" part is even bolded, for completely normal reasons.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

ah there we go, infuriatingly hamhanded storytelling

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

oriongates posted:

The "Cannot Communicate" part is even bolded, for completely normal reasons.

I love this weird psuedospace Dominic Deegan’s tone exists in. The audience is spoon fed information like children and the narrative regularly grinds to a halt to catch up any stragglers, while at the same time we’re subjected to uncut monster dick and the threat of future sex scenes. I’d assume DD’s trying to grow up with its audience, but OG DD ran for 10 years and already did that (plus it also had severe tone issues).

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The page thing contains the soul of Dominic Mookie Deegacciano

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

The Little Death posted:

C) standard Deegan nonsense plot exposition. It's a twist! I'm sure every other spell in there mentions whether or not it can talk too.The only reason that inclusion makes sense is because we know this version of the spell talks, but from the description, the normal spell is like a magic HUD which no one would assume has an intelligence behind it to talk anyway. It's like specifying that a compass cannot communicate in any other language than pointing arrows.

What’s great is that there’s a lot of other things it could say that would convey the same information but not be as jarring. For example, “they can not convey information in any other way”, or “arrows are the only image they are capable of producing”. It may still be a little weird, but right now it’s “...will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak” levels of specific. As if the people who wrote the book had to deal with some widespread misconception that pagefinder spells could communicate.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It's probably just the Ink Witch and there was no good reason for her to disguise that fact because it changes literally nothing

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It's probably just the Ink Witch and there was no good reason for her to disguise that fact because it changes literally nothing

no, it hides the fact from us, the audience, that mookie's been having her explosively cum once every few pages

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mors Rattus posted:

So, like, how often is "lost pages" a problem for anyone

In a world with open-air libraries, surprisingly often.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I mean, I'd think that'd more caused a "destroyed pages" problem.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
I'm more upset about that loving elbow.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

The Little Death posted:

A) List not in alphabetical order

B) Love my geography books that are just big lists of place names (Aberthast Cathedral is a region apparently) with no page numbers or anything that would indicate it's an index
See, I think the list is supposed to show ranges in an index so he knows where to find more specific info on As- locations, but Atv - Ate makes no sense for that. I figured the page numbers were off the side.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

What was the point of lying to Snout? Have they met? What made them think Snout would be more willing to help if he thought they were just a spell? :psyduck:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Got to get him and the Ink Witch conversing somehow so he can fastforward to the loving, consensual sex scene

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Oh gently caress off.

He even bolded inks.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

three more drawings of Snout, the only major character in this comic

three more entirely different face shapes and hairstyles

it's just, not even once has he managed a consistent Snout

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Snoot

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Is this implying that the spell spooged on him multiple times intentionally?

Also literally the laziest twist "Haha, everything in the narrative so far has been a lie, you dunce. No, I didn't include any clues or foreshadowing, that would have given it away!"

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Dabir posted:

WILD

EDGE

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
The last time Snout took magical writing at its word, his house was destroyed.

He should be demanding explanations before deciding whether to find any more pages.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I think you underestimate the importance of his mission! To preserve the legacy of Dominic Deegan!

All else is secondary. Or falls into your lap with no effort shortly after becoming an issue, anyway.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
It's gonna be Dominic Deegan isn't it?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Also just want to point out, according to what he's found here, apparently ink magic is not an unknown thing. Maybe even not rare. And yet the woman he's looking for is just "THE Ink Witch," as if it's her unique power.

I mean I guess she might have a name she's not telling him or something. But knowing Mookie...

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Considering the amount that thought that went into Snout's name, we'll be lucky if her name is anything better than an ink pun

I get the feeling that if the page isn't just Inky herself, it's a Deegan. Maybe not the Deegan, but someone in that circle who has no business being alive 200 years later.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Also just want to point out, according to what he's found here, apparently ink magic is not an unknown thing. Maybe even not rare. And yet the woman he's looking for is just "THE Ink Witch," as if it's her unique power.

I mean I guess she might have a name she's not telling him or something. But knowing Mookie...

Even if it is a name that they are trying to withhold from Snout for whatever reason their means of doing so necessitate that he doesn't fall for their dumbshit lie, which bad writing in itself.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Dabir posted:

My favourite bit is it being pointy in the second one and rounded in the third.

Also gotta love "okay I lied to you, do what I tell you or I won't explain"

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

This also makes the whole "scared of being eaten" thing even weirder

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

The Little Death posted:

This also makes the whole "scared of being eaten" thing even weirder

by his own admission Mookie doesn’t plan right? For all we know he came up with that “twist” in between drawing the panels and doing the lettering.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Tesseraction posted:

love "okay I lied to you, do what I tell you or I won't explain"

Which is something he wants to do ANYWAY. Which the page or whoever is controlling it seems to know intuitly. This would make so much more sense and work better as a story if he was doing this against his will (and starts to become interested as he goes), or if he had ANY good reason for wanting the pages aside from barely-explained curiousity.

Instead, he wants the pages because he MUST want the pages, that is the story Mookie wrote, drat it. And the page knows he wants the pages because... Well, there's no reason. It just knows.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
For all Snout knows he's assembling the pocket companion to the Necronomicon but who cares about questioning the motives of a self-aware page because It has been 200 years since Dominic Deegan and he needs to know what that means.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

This would honestly all make way more sense as Snout having a fever dream. It still wouldn't be good or make a ton of sense, but it'd make far more than it does.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
It's so stupid that to get around his self-imposed no dialog rule, he invented a talking piece of paper to communicate with his deaf character through writing.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ague Proof posted:

It's so stupid that to get around his self-imposed no dialog rule, he invented a talking piece of paper to communicate with his deaf character through writing.

I know, right? Like this is just as word heavy as most of his 'normal' arcs, and those end-of-the-week summary diaries are even wordier.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Going along with the getting eaten thing, of this is just someone communicating through a modified spell, why is it like they are inhabiting the piece of paper. Like Snout had to turn the paper so it could "see" the book entry. I know, it's magic so whatever, but it's just so weird as an idea. It just brings up so many weird implications that I know Mookie hasn't thought about and doesn't care about.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
It's rare for a story to have a reveal that retroactively makes the story worse, but I think Dominic Deegan is the master of it.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
i don't understand how he arrived at the Raniberry page. Did he just leaf through the entire book looking for mentions of ink?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

GrossMurpel posted:

i don't understand how he arrived at the Raniberry page. Did he just leaf through the entire book looking for mentions of ink?

Every book contains nothing but the exact thing he needs to further the plot

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

I think at this point an editor reading this would make you go back and start over. None of Snout’s motivations make sense and his priorities are completely outta whack. That’s not even getting into the fact that a one step solution exists to all of Snout’s problems right here in the Wild Edge.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018