Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

90s Cringe Rock posted:

People tend to be really awful at understanding and comparing the area of circles, though.

That’s not the problem. The problem is the ambiguity; a circle’s diameter grows linearly with the radius while the area grows quadratically.

Want to exaggerate a difference? Use the radius as scale. Want to diminish it? Use area. Both are bad because even if you state which you use, some people will intuitively misinterpret it, even if only subconsciously.

It’s the same as when somebody presents a difference as a percentage: the absolute difference is probably infinitesimal (gene testing shows you are 20% more likely to get whichever rare cancer 5 people die from yearly) and if they use absolute numbers, it is an insignificant percentage (government spent $20M more on the poor).

tl;dr: always use radius1.5 as scale for circles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Powered Descent posted:

The source is linked in a reply, and... I, uh... what?

I have no words to describe that first big round whatever-it-is. Just the way they put percentages of income and percentages of people on the same scale would be enough to make this a terrible graph, but there's so much else going on that makes it one for the hall of fame.

They just really like circles.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

klafbang posted:

That’s not the problem. The problem is the ambiguity; a circle’s diameter grows linearly with the radius while the area grows quadratically.

Want to exaggerate a difference? Use the radius as scale. Want to diminish it? Use area. Both are bad because even if you state which you use, some people will intuitively misinterpret it, even if only subconsciously.

It’s the same as when somebody presents a difference as a percentage: the absolute difference is probably infinitesimal (gene testing shows you are 20% more likely to get whichever rare cancer 5 people die from yearly) and if they use absolute numbers, it is an insignificant percentage (government spent $20M more on the poor).

tl;dr: always use radius1.5 as scale for circles
I hope you don't make any maps! Just use the area. I agree that if you really want the difference magnitude to be easily and accurately perceived, you should be using bar lengths, but don't do some weird halfway thing.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

klafbang posted:

Yeah this is a concept I've tried to explain to my family when they freak out about an ad on tv about food or lifestyle choices increasing their chances of getting whatever disease and it's impossible for some people to get that it's not "You now have a 20% chance of getting this" it's "your already super low chance just got bumped up a bit".

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Just do a grid of whatever it is you're measuring.

So, if you want to represent 100,000 people, do a grid of 10X10 little people icons, and have a thing at the bottom that says 1 icon = 1000 people

Joke answer, do 316x316 icons

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

https://towardsdatascience.com/napoleon-was-the-best-general-ever-and-the-math-proves-it-86efed303eeb

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

So many of the graphs in this thread make me feel like I'm having a stroke, it's incredible

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Were the few generals with -3 and -2 wars to their names peace activists or something? But they weren’t fighting too hard for peace either so it wouldn’t be considered its own kind of war for the purposes of this graph?

E: Hold on, why is there enough space for 7 bars between 0 and 5 wars? I thought we were counting in whole numbers of wars, but apparently the correct reading is that more than 3000 generals have between 0 and 5/7 of a war to their names?

HerStuddMuffin has a new favorite as of 06:10 on Oct 18, 2019

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I was so baffled I read the article, and it's not wars, it's WAR - wins above replacement. How he calculates WAR is a bit suspect, but the biggest problem is that as far as I can tell it's an absolute sum of WAR stats, not an average, which means that someone with a long, successful, and above all famous campaign (like Napoleon or Julius Caesar) will have a huge numerical advantage vs. someone for whom only one battle is present on Wikipedia, even if they won that battle handily while at a huge disadvantage.

Right after that graph he trash-talks Robert E Lee, so there's at least something good in the article.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s “wins above replacement”.

It’s a coincidence that the acronym also means “major armed conflict”.

Dividing it into bars of 0.7 units width is still whack.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DontMockMySmock posted:

the biggest problem is that as far as I can tell it's an absolute sum of WAR stats, not an average, which means that someone with a long, successful, and above all famous campaign (like Napoleon or Julius Caesar) will have a huge numerical advantage vs. someone for whom only one battle is present on Wikipedia, even if they won that battle handily while at a huge disadvantage.

Yes.

“Wins above replacement” makes sense for sports teams where everyone is playing the same number of games, or if they aren’t, it’s a problem (like they’re out for injury).

It makes a lot less sense for generals plucked from the last three millennia of warfare.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I thought the article was a joke before reading it, but the guy is dead serious.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Tree Bucket posted:

So many of the graphs in this thread make me feel like I'm having a stroke, it's incredible

Same here.

I've lost count of the graphs I've looked at in this thread and wondered if I'm about to start smelling toast because they make no goddamn sense.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

DontMockMySmock posted:

I was so baffled I read the article, and it's not wars, it's WAR - wins above replacement. How he calculates WAR is a bit suspect, but the biggest problem is that as far as I can tell it's an absolute sum of WAR stats, not an average, which means that someone with a long, successful, and above all famous campaign (like Napoleon or Julius Caesar) will have a huge numerical advantage vs. someone for whom only one battle is present on Wikipedia, even if they won that battle handily while at a huge disadvantage.

Right after that graph he trash-talks Robert E Lee, so there's at least something good in the article.

the dude's WAR is more than suspect: in his code he runs a simulation where if an average general has 99% of the air force/infantry/artillery/cavalry participating in a battle, he predicts that this guy would have a 75% chance of winning against another average general.

he's literally just adding wins and subtracting losses

edit: another gem from his code: the worst general in his data set is "Capital punishment"

archduke.iago has a new favorite as of 15:26 on Oct 18, 2019

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Platystemon posted:

Yes.

“Wins above replacement” makes sense for sports teams where everyone is playing the same number of games, or if they aren’t, it’s a problem (like they’re out for injury).

It makes a lot less sense for generals plucked from the last three millennia of warfare.

Let's calculate the Elo ratings of Alexander the Great and Garry Kasparov to determine who would win in a head-to-head Pong match.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

HardDiskD posted:

I thought the article was a joke before reading it, but the guy is dead serious.

Yeah. Like if it was a joke it's a really well executed one, but it's not.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

archduke.iago posted:

he's literally just adding wins and subtracting losses

edit: another gem from his code: the worst general in his data set is "Capital punishment"
Shouldn’t capital punishment have the best k/d ratio? I mean, when was the last time an executioner lost?

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Shouldn’t capital punishment have the best k/d ratio? I mean, when was the last time an executioner lost?

technically they were killed by the state, the executioner is just the tool they use.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Among other things, I am fond of the insane way in which inconclusive battles, Pyrrhic victories, and victories in minor battles are not only counted as positive but are often more positive than decisive victories against superior forces.

E: Napoleon really padded his stats with some garbage time victories in the War of the Sixth Coalition.

King Hong Kong has a new favorite as of 17:20 on Oct 18, 2019

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

HerStuddMuffin posted:

There was that civil war doctor that had a 300% fatality rate for a surgery

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

DarkHorse posted:

There was that civil war doctor that had a 300% fatality rate for a surgery

Are you saying every time he attempted it, he killed the patient and two bystanders?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Jurgan posted:

Are you saying every time he attempted it, he killed the patient and two bystanders?
Well, it was only one of his many operations, most of which were successful, but...

Wikipedia posted:

Amputated the leg in under 2​1⁄2 minutes (the patient died afterwards in the ward from hospital gangrene; they usually did in those pre-Listerian days). He amputated in addition the fingers of his young assistant (who died afterwards in the ward from hospital gangrene). He also slashed through the coat tails of a distinguished surgical spectator, who was so terrified that the knife had pierced his vitals he dropped dead from fright. That was the only operation in history with a 300 percent mortality.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

i remember that dude, he prided himself on being the fastest surgeon around, but didnt give much of a poo poo whether the patient actually lived or not

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

razorrozar posted:

i remember that dude, he prided himself on being the fastest surgeon around, but didnt give much of a poo poo whether the patient actually lived or not
Well this was back in the early days, when being fast did indeed reduce mortality rates. Longer you had the patient open, especially in amputations, the more poo poo could go wrong.

Sometimes it backfired, though, as DACK informed us.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

"dropped dead from fright" is one of my favorite old timey causes of death

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

razorrozar posted:

Mostly because modern anesthesia hadn't been invented yet, and the way to do surgery and kill the fewest patients was to do it as fast as possible before they bled out. After it was invented, he was a enthusiastic early adopter.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Unlike most surgeons, however, his knife was clearly an area effect weapon.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Too bad they didn’t have youtube at the time. I can imagine his speed run videos. “Ok, so here normally you’d have to cut diagonally along the hand of your assistant who’s holding the leg. But that’s the long way. If instead we cut straight through, it shaves nine frames off the animation, and it shortens the cut just enough that we’ll save an entire stitch later on. The best part is, cutting through the assistant’s fingers does not take any longer than cutting through the patient’s flesh only, so this maneuver is pure profit.”

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

razorrozar posted:

That's not true at all though? Liston was a pioneer of surgery and did a generally good job of keeping people alive in an era where that was the exception rather than the rule.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The 300% mortality story and the accidentally took the patients balls off story are most likely gossip made by surgeons who were mad at him for daring suggest there might be less infections if they didn't spend all day covered in viscera. Primary sources usually agree he was crazy skilled and genuinely interested in improving the state of the art in technique and anesthetic.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Oh, were people meant to take it as fact rather than just a funny story?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I like that the idea "maybe you should wash your hands of deadguy juice before delivering babies" was just unfathomable and insulting in that era.

Also that doctors wore black and took it as a sign of pride with how much gore they accumulated

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Sentient Data posted:

Oh, were people meant to take it as fact rather than just a funny story?

It's often presented as such, when it comes up here, and on other sites, some of them more or less reputable news orgs, etc.

Edit: even when it's questioned it's usually in terms of "it might not have happened" rather than "it probably didn't." And I've never seen the claim that it was specifically made up to get back at him for suggesting doctors wash their hands.

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 14:17 on Oct 19, 2019

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

A lot of people don't realize that it was only in the 19th century that we got rid of most of the insane medieval bullshit that was still in science (even if the foundations for modern science were laid in the 17th and 18th centuries). For example, the discussion about spontaneous generation wasn't fully put to rest until Pasteur's experiments. It's not that long ago.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

DarkHorse posted:

I like that the idea "maybe you should wash your hands of deadguy juice before delivering babies" was just unfathomable and insulting in that era.

Also that doctors wore black and took it as a sign of pride with how much gore they accumulated

suggesting that improvement is possible to a white man who thinks he's important is STILL the worst and most insultingly disrespectful thing how DARE you imply that the incredibly smart important man isn't already using his vast intelligence to do things perfectly

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

groan

I know I myself was glibly calling it medieval bullshit earlier, but with a lot of these major advances and discoveries they initially had no data or even cohesive theories to scientifically back them up. In many cases, the necessary framework or instruments just didn't exist yet. You can say people were slow to adopt them when the evidence did start piling up, but it's always easy to go 'lol idiots' in hindsight. We only know what's correct because that discussion happened and a new scientific consensus was eventually reached.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
lol you think I'm wrong and doctors as a profession aren't REGULARLY like "im so smart i cannot be wrong" to this very day about things like "maybe the idea of studying only men because women are too complicated isn't actually correct"? never any issues related to patriarchy in this traditionally patriarchal profession that's groanworthy!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I don't think your observation of 'human pride exists' is wrong, just that it's not the only factor to explain why it took so long to adopt certain views that we now know to be correct.

Continental drift is another example, you can think it's insane that it took so long for geologists to accept it, but without the explanatory mechanism of plate tectonics and a way to measure/prove that, it's just another theory.

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 15:52 on Oct 19, 2019

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Does Science Advance One Funeral at a Time?

quote:

Knowledge accumulation — the process by which new research builds upon prior research — is central to scientific progress, but the way this process works is not well understood.

In Does Science Advance One Funeral at a Time? (NBER Working Paper No. 21788), Pierre Azoulay, Christian Fons-Rosen, and Joshua S. Graff Zivin explore the famous quip by physicist Max Planck. They show that the premature deaths of elite scientists affect the dynamics of scientific discovery. Following such deaths, scientists who were not collaborators with the deceased stars become more visible, and they advance novel ideas through increased publications within the field of the deceased star. These "emerging stars" are often scientists who were not previously active within that field. The results suggest that outsiders to a specific scientific field are reluctant to challenge a research star who is viewed as a leader within that field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
People are people and we're stupid and prideful, news at eleven.