Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Atlas Hugged posted:

Also two books per season seems totally absurd.

For real, book 10 is one episode, tops.

Apparatchik Magnet fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basileus777
Jun 13, 2013

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm imagining how butchered this would be if they ended season 2 in Rhuidean.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

I’ve never heard of The Boys, I’m not sure Maisel’s quality and Emmy buzz translates to viewers, and the Expanse is such a big hit that it was cancelled and picked up as Bezos’ vanity project. None are big hits in a GoT sense, certainly.

I'm surprised you haven't heard of the Boys, it received lots of great press recently. Maisel seems very meh to me, but it's pretty critically acclaimed and it seems to be the water cooler show for people need to fill a Mad Men shaped hole in their viewing schedule.

It's nigh impossible to know what the actual viewership numbers are for any streaming service show, none of them are going to willingly spill the beans so we have to go off pop culture penetration and press.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Eye of the World could be an entire season on it's own, and every book after that could probably be split into two seasons each (except for maybe 9), so unless these are 22-24 episode long seasons I don't know how that could possibly work.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

There's a ton of fat you can trim. I think if people are expecting everything from the books to be in the show, you're going to be sorely disappointed. There's a bunch of arcs/characters who just ultimately go nowhere and don't need to be included.

I wouldn't be surprised if Fain just doesn't make it to the show at all, honestly

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 18, 2019

Basileus777
Jun 13, 2013

Sab669 posted:

There's a ton of fat you can trim. I think if people are expecting everything from the books to be in the show, you're going to be sorely disappointed. There's a bunch of arcs/characters who just ultimately go nowhere and don't need to be included.

The fat comes later, the first 3 books are pretty economical all things considered. You can cut from those, but it'll come at the expense of character arcs or important foreshadowing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sab669 posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Fain just doesn't make it to the show at all, honestly

Same goes for that fog that turns people inside out

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

i'm expecting Mashadar and the Black Wind to be mashed together

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Inspector 34 posted:

I thought I read somewhere that the plan was to do 2 books per season, but I guess if it becomes a huge hit they might adjust that to make it last a little longer.

That seems pretty reasonable. Assuming 12 episodes per season, 6 hours per book seems like it would be pretty comfortable. Jordan was so verbose with his description that I suspect the books would distil themselves down more than most.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Atlas Hugged posted:

Eh, one book per season until you get to the middle and then 3 books per season until poo poo starts to happen again would be better.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

ulmont posted:

Eh, one book per season until you get to the middle and then 3 books per season until poo poo starts to happen again would be better.

I am mostly fine with this. Book 10 happening about the same time as book 9 for instance means they should basically just merge those into a single season. And then you have Perrin just disappearing for a book, but they're not going to want him to vanish from the show like Bran.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Yeah each POV’s timeline gets really murky and Unsynchronised in the second half of the series. Once it gets to that point the show won’t be strictly doing book by book assuming they want to progress the story in a straightforward linear fashion.

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001
It's going to be a miracle if this show makes it past the first season. Even disregarding all the strikes against it (sprawling source novels, outdated gender politics, derivative fantasy, unheard of outside 90s fantasy dorks, unfilmable hand-wavy magic scenes), even if the adaptation is actually good Netflix has already figured out that long-running shows bring less return on investment than two seasons of the next big thing. I don't think that books 6 through 13 are really going to be the problem.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I don't get this whole, "the magic is too hard why isn't this an anime" thing.

Have none of you watched Dr Strange???

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
What I suspect will happen is, we'll get the first three books as live action, then at some point in the distant future they make an anime of the whole thing.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

once the anime is popular enough they'll make live action movies of the anime seasons.

i could do without the bubbles of evil. don't recall them doing much plot wise other then killing an aux character

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Sab669 posted:

i was thinking more about the Magicians, which does pretty constant magic fx on a SyFy budget

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Nobody watches anime. There's no "let's make an anime" as a fallback position :lol:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Nihilarian posted:

i'm expecting Mashadar and the Black Wind to be mashed together

Yeah, that's definitely something that could get smooshed into a single entity. Shadar Logoth with mashadar, and then have the Entrance to the Ways be how they escape it only for it to follow/find them there

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
Really hoping they get to season 2 or W/E with the great hunt. The part with all the invitations and the game of houses will be great.

Everyone would hate it, but could they possibly cut out all of the Aiel and focus more on the mainland and the politics? Or maybe a quick jaunt to the wastes and back for some backstory and Rhuidean?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I cannot fathom how they could cut the Aiel. The Aiel are central to like 2 whole books and Rand's heritage / the prophecies and, perhaps more importantly, are really cool with strong visual themes and tons of battles and such where they throw down. I'm sure the production people whose job is to plot and direct fights and battles are extremely excited about the Aiel.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Cut out the Sea Folk and nobody will mind :colbert:

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

DarkHorse posted:

Yeah, that's definitely something that could get smooshed into a single entity. Shadar Logoth with mashadar, and then have the Entrance to the Ways be how they escape it only for it to follow/find them there

That would be weird later on for the cleansing.

Basileus777
Jun 13, 2013

Sab669 posted:

It's a TV show, it doesn't have the budget of a marvel movie.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Amazon has deep, deep pockets dude. Like say what you will about the writing for Carnival Row, but the costume design, sets, and score on that show were :krad:

If Amazon thinks they've got the next GOT on their hands, they will absolutely throw filthy piles of money at the show. Amazon spent, on average, $10M per episode on The Grand Tour. Don't get me wrong - I don't think anything will top GOT in pure terms of viewership, and I suspect networks know that, but clearly networks are interested in "the next big Fantasy series" because there is definitely a market for it. There are tons of new fantasy projects being greenlit on a multitude of networks.

Nerdy poo poo is cool in the year 2019, I don't understand this "no one's going to fund a live action show about a bunch of female wizards". This entire generation grew up on Harry Potter, LOTR, and comic books while clamoring for equal representation. Maybe WOT doesn't have the immediate brand recognition, but that doesn't mean it can't become popular.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 18, 2019

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I just want to see the complete story. I will be very disappointed if it only goes for a season or two and then ends. Amazon was able to get four seasons out of a 240 page book with The Man in the High Castle, they can get 6-7 seasons out of these for sure.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea that would be my biggest concern. I wonder if they'd abruptly give it the axe after some number of seasons, or instead fast track the story give it a "proper ending".

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

We’ll see, every ancillary project associated with the books has failed. Remember the couple games that were supposed to come out based on the books? Yea nobody does. The show has been in production hell forever too hasn’t it? I vaguely remember hearing rumors about it a long time ago.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Invalid Validation posted:

We’ll see, every ancillary project associated with the books has failed. Remember the couple games that were supposed to come out based on the books? Yea nobody does. The show has been in production hell forever too hasn’t it? I vaguely remember hearing rumors about it a long time ago.

Yeah but that doesn't mean anything. Most tie-ins fail until they succeed, and you only remember the successes.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

The special effects for The Boys were also pretty good, I don't think WoT does much that'll be any harder to do than that, especially in the beginning it's mostly costumes and fireballs that happen off screen even in the books. Just one big set piece in Eye of the World, but just budget for it and maybe cut down on all the weird plants and poo poo in the blight on the way. I guess it does get crazier later on, but you can probably just zoom in on fights and play a lot of the magic off as booms and flying dirt happening just off screen. I'd rather get the whole story than have them bog down in how are we going to show all these fights with the Seanchan or whatever. Most of the regular use of magic is just portals/healing and holding people in place with the air. I guess some light air magic spanking because Jordan. Even fights between Aes Sedai is just about cutting off your opponent off from the source and slicing everything they try to cast, if you even get a spell off it's probably game over, just show those from the perspective of someone who can't channel and it looks like they're just staring at each other :v:.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I think you guys are vastly underestimating the size of the WoT fan base. It isn’t some obscure old fantasy series. Books 8-14 were all NYT #1 best sellers. It’s probably fourth after LotR, Harry Potter and Game of Thrones. GoT probably only beats it due to added exposure from the show.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

The rights to the show were sold to a poo poo company that basically abused them and prevented any competent adaptation of the books for many, many years until Harriet finally managed to get them back through legal action.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
There was one PC game from 1999 and a table top core book + expansion from the early 2000s. TV/movie rights were scooped up by some holding company years ago and they only resolved the ownership issues within the last couple of years, leading to the current production. I don't really think anything aside from the Winter Dragon short, which was only produced so the holding company could retain the rights, ever really got past the planning stages. And I am kinda grateful for that, I read a long time ago there were talks to make a multi-episode made for broadcast TV style adaption of Eye of the World and I can't imagine that would have been very good with mid-90s effects and writing.

e: There was also a comic book adaption that was being produced by a small publisher that was releasing issues on a wildly inconsistent basis. I think it took them the better part of a decade to get through EotW?

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 18, 2019

Basileus777
Jun 13, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

I think you guys are vastly underestimating the size of the WoT fan base. It isn’t some obscure old fantasy series. Books 8-14 were all NYT #1 best sellers. It’s probably fourth after LotR, Harry Potter and Game of Thrones. GoT probably only beats it due to added exposure from the show.

It took several years of the show before ASOIAF eclipsed WOT in sales. GRRM wasn't on RJ's level before HBO.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Yeah as someone who pretty much solely read Tolkien in his teen years, I knew about the Wheel of Time like a decade before I ever heard of A Song of Ice and Fire. I only heard of and read A Game of Thrones after I heard HBO had ordered a series. WoT books were like front and center anytime I went into a bookstore or was perusing the Fantasy section. It's a wonder it took me until this week to really dive into the series.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

I think you guys are vastly underestimating the size of the WoT fan base.

This is very possible :v: I'm really not a huge book nerd. Only got into reading... some time after GoT aired :shrug:

We'll see, every ancillary project associated with the books has failed. Remember the couple games that were supposed to come out based on the books? Yea nobody does. The show has been in production hell forever too hasn't it? I vaguely remember hearing rumors about it a long time ago.

One PC-only video game in 1999 is hardly precedent for "WoT inspired media will fail". In my opinion video games didn't truly start to become popular until after the PS2 initially launched in 2000. Like yea, of course games were popular before then... But the PS2 is (according to wikipedia) still the best selling game console of all time. The amount of people that game could've reached back then was MUCH smaller than the number of people a well budgeted, well marketed TV show can reach now.

But I do agree "production hell" is always a red flag, but not necessarily a signed death certificate.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I don’t think the fireballs and stuff will be hard. I think the constant squinting with elemental magic weaving that only certain people can see will be hard.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

There have been various attempts to get a show made but none with the backing and clout of someone like Amazon. They most assuredly did their homework before picking this IP and it makes sense for them to really go all the way in supporting it because "GOT but with more female representation/agency, minority representation/diversity, and overt magical elements" is basically a wish list of what a lot of people want to see from a fantasy series. If the show really flops we probably still 2-3 seasons and if it does well I would expect 7-8, which is more than enough to get the entire story done minus the chaff elements that go nowhere.

The Lord Bude posted:

Yeah people forget that the GoT books, while they did well, were not super popular even among fantasy readers until the show came out. There was a lot of similar handwringing about the viability of the material for adaptation in the run up to the show premiere, and season 1 of GoT had a notoriously low budget because HBO didn't want another Rome on their hands. If nothing else the success and failures of GoT have made it easier for producers and showrunners to figure out what it takes behind the scenes to get these shows done right and make them accessible enough to be hits.

M. Night Skymall posted:

The special effects for The Boys were also pretty good, I don't think WoT does much that'll be any harder to do than that, especially in the beginning it's mostly costumes and fireballs that happen off screen even in the books. Just one big set piece in Eye of the World, but just budget for it and maybe cut down on all the weird plants and poo poo in the blight on the way. I guess it does get crazier later on, but you can probably just zoom in on fights and play a lot of the magic off as booms and flying dirt happening just off screen. I'd rather get the whole story than have them bog down in how are we going to show all these fights with the Seanchan or whatever. Most of the regular use of magic is just portals/healing and holding people in place with the air. I guess some light air magic spanking because Jordan. Even fights between Aes Sedai is just about cutting off your opponent off from the source and slicing everything they try to cast, if you even get a spell off it's probably game over, just show those from the perspective of someone who can't channel and it looks like they're just staring at each other :v:.

We will probably get some kind of visual effect to make it more apparent when channelers are doing their thing (maybe a visible aura or something akin to Moiraine's glowing jewel) and more overt physical cues to go with whatever magic thing is happening, because yeah no one wants to watch people just stare at each other when there's supposed to be *~magic~* happening. Most of Rand's duels with Forsaken are basically "stuff happening or blowing up nearby while trying to cut each other off from the Source" so they definitely have to find ways to make it more engaging and emphasize the contest of wills part.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

Cut out the Sea Folk and nobody will mind :colbert:

I was about to make this post.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Also the game was terrible and had only the most tenuous connection to the books.

The tabletop game was adapted from 3rd ed D&D and it was pretty great. The teacher who ran my Highschool D&D club ran a campaign using it.

edit: Rome was loving amazing, we watched the first season in Grade 12 Ancient History after we got done watching I Claudius. I still can't believe that show didn't last longer, although I seem to recall it was actually pretty popular, just expensive beyond belief to make.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
And the original Game of Thrones pilot was such a dumpster fire that they scrapped most of it, recast half the show and rewrote and reshot almost the entire thing.

Production for GoT began in January of 2007 and the show didn't actually begin airing until April of 2011.

I don't think development troubles are always a sign of how successful a production will be.